• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknoman said:
HEY! Cars dont asplode when flipped upside down anymore! Nice!

Once I went off road and just backed up and my car exploded, it was the first time I died in the game. Did something hit the gas tank and do that or what?

Brashnir

Sean said:
Michelle keeps dissing me for wearing the same clothes, even though she's been wearing the same outfit too on every date. Fucking bitch!

I changed my entire outfit once between dates with her. She had to methodically go through piece by piece and talk about my jacket, pants, shoes, hat, etc one by one after remarking that I had a different car again. by the time she stopped talking about my outfit we were at the destination.

Oh one other thing. In one of the earlier fights you can counter attack if they miss. How exactly do you that again? I forgot which button it was and I was practicing against random people on the street and couldn't get it to work like it did in that fight earlier. Was that scripted just for those type of fights or can you do it in any fight.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sean said:
Michelle keeps dissing me for wearing the same clothes, even though she's been wearing the same outfit too on every date. Fucking bitch!

Shoot her in the face. That'll teach her.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
MaizeRage25 said:
One of the best things about this game: When you fail a mission, oftentimes the dialogue changes. Keeps things fresh if you have to repeat a mission. Hell, sometimes I want to fail so I can see what else they will say.
Yeah, I love that. Tons of care went into this game.

Papercuts

Stoney Mason said:
Oh one other thing. In one of the earlier fights you can counter attack if they miss. How exactly do you that again? I forgot which button it was and I was practicing against random people on the street and couldn't get it to work like it did in that fight earlier. Was that scripted just for those type of fights or can you do it in any fight.

I believe it's dodge then any attack right afterwards.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Favorite moment so far: I had just gotten two stars, and grabbed a motorcycle to make a speedy getaway. While making what I thought was a clever shortcut, I plowed straight into a brick wall and went flying. It was pretty comical, and my girlfriend and I started cracking up - until Niko Bellic shouted "IT'S NOT FUCKINK FUNNY". This game is awesome.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sean said:

I kept wearing the same outfit and she kept saying "hey you're wearing the same clothes - I like it!" so maybe she just didn't like what you had on :p

Rorschach

Turismo = best car evar! Stole it from the Russian boss and have been using it ever since. Not only can it handle really well (I can drift like a mofo), but it also accelerates magnificently. I made it all the way across town with great time and not so much as a nick on the car and I was running through traffic. <3 <3 <3

Why do they make it so fucking hard to hear the god damn dialog!!! ARRRRGHHH Roman just told me I had to pick him up somewhere and could hardly hear it over the radio.. Of course I didn't have the option to turn the radio off while he was talking.

DEVELOPERS: Mix Your Fucking Dialogue So That People Can Actually Make Out What The Characters Are Saying.. You know, like they do with movies!

Or, at least give me the god damn option to turn the dialog up.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Awesome multiplayer moment:

I was playing Cops 'n Crooks with some buds and my team was crooks - me and one other guy had just about made it to the getaway boat - I was swimming over to the boat. Suddenly from out of fucking NOWHERE a car flies into me from above - it just like fell out of the sky, and killed me.

A friend of mine on the cops team was driving and had ramped it in into the water towards us as a last-ditch effort :lol :lol :lol

I lol'd so hard. The absurdity was just too much.

Also if you wanna see batshit-insane action, do Hangman's Noose with some friends. It's like straight out of HEAT.

Papercuts

polyh3dron said:
Why do they make it so fucking hard to hear the god damn dialog!!! ARRRRGHHH Roman just told me I had to pick him up somewhere and could hardly hear it over the radio.. Of course I didn't have the option to turn the radio off while he was talking.

DEVELOPERS: Mix Your Fucking Dialogue So That People Can Actually Make Out What The Characters Are Saying.. You know, like they do with movies!

Or, at least give me the god damn option to turn the dialog up.

Use subtitles!

polyh3dron said:

turn down the musics and turn up the sfx, or go into the menu and go to brief, its all in text there.

Akia said:
Can I get through the story mode without getting drunk, getting with girls, and visiting a strip club?
Yeah, but you'll still need to do some sins like killing and stealing. Were you aware of that before buying the game?

Recoil

For anyone who was wondering, the back end of the new Infernus is off of a Zonda:

pagani_zonda.jpg

Papercuts said:
Use subtitles!
That's no fucking excuse. This game had a fucking $100 mil budget. It's not like my system's fucked up, I watch movies on the same system and never have problems hearing the dialog.

Just about up to the first Vlad mission. Awesome so far. Playing on a PS3 60gb - no bugs or freezes yet, barely noticing popup while playing.

Niko is a funny fucker.

Animations are awesome. Melee is OK, shooting seems pretty decent. Autosave - YAY! No mid mission checkpoints - BOO!

Driving feels a bit different to what I expected, but I am digging it more and more as I get the hang of it - just need to mix up brake and handbrake rather than just use one or the other.

The only thing that has annoyed me so far is the fact that the vehicle camera likes to get sucked up behind the rear bumper (sorry yanks - fender) of the car making it a pain in the ass in chases. Other than that I really like the organic feel of the vehicle camera.

Luckily for chases this is all fixed by the thoroughly awesome over the hood view - there was one bit where I was chasing some guy under an overpass and it felt like an interactive French Connection chase.

How do you hail a cab? I was walking around holding down LB to no avail.

The only bug I've had so far is not getting the Unlock Taxi Ability Achievement.

Teknoman

lol "can you play the uhh...jazz station?"

Im taking a cab to a side job location. Didnt knoy you could do that. However we're in a traffic jam. Man I wonder what'll happen if I dont have enough to pay fare.

polyh3dron said:
PS3 version freezing on you??
O-o no, didn't you hear? The ps3 multiplayer has been dead for almost 12 hours. PSN is ok but GTA4 is forked. Sucks because I got to rank 1 already and was kicking ass last night. Hangman's noose is the best game EVER. The only problem is that no one seems to know how to play it yet. They all just shot cops until they die, but then I get the VIP to safety by fighting off the entire squad and get mad points.

polyh3dron said:
That's no fucking excuse. This game had a fucking $100 mil budget. It's not like my system's fucked up, I watch movies on the same system and never have problems hearing the dialog.

I have the same issue but to be honest I often have the same issue with some movies and even occasionally a TV show although that is much more rare.

Teknoman

BobTheFork said:
turn down the musics and turn up the sfx, or go into the menu and go to brief, its all in text there.

No dont do that. Go to audio in the options menu and turn it to " Voice Chat fade radio volume" Makes all volume get lower besides the conversation at hand temporarily".

duk

Banned
BobTheFork said:
O-o no, didn't you hear? The ps3 multiplayer has been dead for almost 12 hours. PSN is ok but GTA4 is forked. Sucks because I got to rank 1 already and was kicking ass last night. Hangman's noose is the best game EVER. The only problem is that no one seems to know how to play it yet. They all just shot cops until they die, but then I get the VIP to safety by fighting off the entire squad and get mad points.

IGN has a story on it, hopefully it'll be fixed soon

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/870/870524p1.html

BobTheFork said:
Nope, all I see is "Go and rescue Roman." Nothing about the phone conversation I was straining to hear. Am I the only person that the dialog sounds like complete shit to?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MaizeRage25 said:
How do you hail a cab? I was walking around holding down LB to no avail.

The only bug I've had so far is not getting the Unlock Taxi Ability Achievement.

Only works when they are close, then you HOLD Y to get in or you will steal it.

Teknoman

Teknoman said:
No dont do that. Go to audio in the options menu and turn it to " Voice Chat fade radio volume" Makes all volume get lower besides the conversation at hand temporarily".

Repeating and quoting myself for Poly and a good cause.

FlexMentallo said:
Just about up to the first Vlad mission. Awesome so far. Playing on a PS3 60gb - no bugs or freezes yet, barely noticing popup while playing.

Niko is a funny fucker.

Animations are awesome. Melee is OK, shooting seems pretty decent. Autosave - YAY! No mid mission checkpoints - BOO!

Driving feels a bit different to what I expected, but I am digging it more and more as I get the hang of it - just need to mix up brake and handbrake rather than just use one or the other.

The only thing that has annoyed me so far is the fact that the vehicle camera likes to get sucked up behind the rear bumper (sorry yanks - fender) of the car making it a pain in the ass in chases. Other than that I really like the organic feel of the vehicle camera.

Luckily for chases this is all fixed by the thoroughly awesome over the hood view - there was one bit where I was chasing some guy under an overpass and it felt like an interactive French Connection chase.

lol I call it the bumper and im from North America :lol Anyway, just use the right analog stick, its easy to keep view in chases, just act like you're on foot.

Sean

Banned
GDJustin said:
I kept wearing the same outfit and she kept saying "hey you're wearing the same clothes - I like it!" so maybe she just didn't like what you had on :p

That could be it, I'm wearing the default outfit. Have only changed the boots so far.

FlexMentallo said:

I always have this issue with GTA games. I can never get the camera how I want it with the few presets they give you. I wish you could redefine a camera angle to the exact height , angle, and tilt you wanted when driving or walking around outside exteriors but I'll never get it outside of hacking a camera file on the PC version.

Teknoman said:
Repeating and quoting myself for Poly and a good cause
umm it's greyed out and already is on the "fade radio volume" option... You guys are just making excuses for something that should just work without this tinkering though.

Teknoman

polyh3dron said:
umm it's greyed out and already is on the "fade radio volume" option... You guys are just making excuses for something that should just work without this tinkering though.

Seriously? Then it should be perfectly...umm...hearable.

Shins

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Nope, all I see is "Go and rescue Roman." Nothing about the phone conversation I was straining to hear. Am I the only person that the dialog sounds like complete shit to?
Nowhere near as bad as it seems to be for you.

And you can change the levels. Do so.

edit: you're picky. Oh well.

Rorschach said:
Turismo = best car evar! Stole it from the Russian boss and have been using it ever since. Not only can it handle really well (I can drift like a mofo), but it also accelerates magnificently. I made it all the way across town with great time and not so much as a nick on the car and I was running through traffic. <3 <3 <3
turth...i have 2 outside my apartment...although the banshee is a trusted car as well

on a different not ive played like 6 hours and ive yet to see a hooker...whats the deal here damnit

and lol @ Katt Williams on WKTT

Meier

Up to about 20% done. I'm still annoyed at the lack of skill ups, but oh well, what can ya do. Michelle's one loose bitch... take her to fast food and she can't wait to hear interesting things from you.

AmMortal

Banned
Holy Shit guys!

I'm watching TV now in GTA IV and there is HALO Parody on some Adult Swim :lol :lol channel

Also Bas Rutten self defense !.

Linkhero1

Okay I'm back after playing for a hour. I'm used to handling cars now and damn the cops are really aggressive now. Even with just two stars I get busted easily. :lol

Warrior300 said:
Holy Shit guys!

I'm watching TV now in GTA IV and there is HALO Parody on some Adult Swim channel

Also Bas Rutten self defense !.
what was it? Haven't watched tv in game but if there is an adult Swim channel, it could be robot chicken, they did a Halo bit(or two) a few seasons ago.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
My impressions as someone who has never liked a GTA:

The gameplay is still bad. There's little to nothing redeeming there. But the game world itself is so good that it's definitely worth playing.

And some of the stuff you can do. I tried to launch my burning ambulance(which I had stolen from a guy dispatched to help a person I had killed) over a fountain and dive off so i wouldn't be wet anymore but a cop car followed me over and tapped me just enough to make me explode. It killed me, him, and 4 or 5 bystanders, but all three of my mates who were here watching me play were in tears. And the TV stuff is terrific. Some of it gets annoying(omg omg i tooked a poly sci class look how libral i am!!) but the poker thing was amazing.

If you're like me and consider Crackdown your favourite game of all time, you'll be disappointed with how often you punch fences and just how pussy your jumping is, but oh well.

PS Never let Cajole drive online if you value your life

Top Bottom