• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

kitch9

Banned
studio810 said:
Anyone have any tips for hand to hand combat? Seems like 1 out of 5 of my punches hits.

Block, and alternate between left and right punches. Throw a boot into the mix too....

wotter

studio810 said:
Anyone have any tips for hand to hand combat? Seems like 1 out of 5 of my punches hits.

Don't forget to lock on to your target. Nearly all of my punches missed because I forgot this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thats not shameful, I've known a few guys from that part of the world, and his accent still had me saying "WHAT?!", kudos to Rockstar for having the bravery to allow such strong accented characters in the game, not resorting to diluting them for a mainstream audience.
Totally agree. I love the inclusion of such characters in the game. Really gives a unique vibe.

I'd probably have an easier time understand LJ if it weren't for the other audio in the game. It's difficult to understand him over the noise of everything around you.

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
lol "can you play the uhh...jazz station?"

Im taking a cab to a side job location. Didnt knoy you could do that. However we're in a traffic jam. Man I wonder what'll happen if I dont have enough to pay fare.
The Jazz Station is the best one in the game!
And now that i think about it, i'll throw a random question;

What's your favorite Radio Station so far?

Evlar

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Hey guys, how many Helicopter types are there in the game? I've come across two so far - the police chopper and the smaller civilian one. A friend of mine thinks Edge wrote about a Chinook...
Only two types according to the guide

joelseph

I love how they curse in their language and it translates it in the subtitles.

I also loved playing co-op hangman's noose for the first time and riding in the back of the transport. I can't remember the last time a game has had me that giddy.

Are you guys saving after dying or getting arrested, or reloading a previous save? My old habits are making me reload my save, but I feel like it'll gimp my playtime and stats this time around... hmm...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dark10x said:
Totally agree. I love the inclusion of such characters in the game. Really gives a unique vibe.

I'd probably have an easier time understand LJ if it weren't for the other audio in the game. It's difficult to understand him over the noise of everything around you.
True. That applies to most of the game in general. I've had to double my volume to make out what the cast is saying comfortably. The radio is nice and loud. Sounds like I need to turn down the SE's a little more.

Gav

Wizpig said:

I know many people have been disappointed by it, but i love Electro Choc.

Justice, Boys Noize, Simian Mobile Disco, Kavinsky. Its all good :D

Although i do like Vibe too.

And theres something awesome about being in a chase with Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygen playing on the radio :lol

joelseph

LiquidMetal14 said:
True. That applies to most of the game in general. I've had to double my volume to make out what the cast is saying comfortably. The radio is nice and loud. Sounds like I need to turn down the SE's a little more.

The problem, as I understand it, is that speech and SFX are tied into the same audio options slider. They should be separate so you can lower the ambient noise and raise the speech.

Radio Broker > all. Although I have yet to even fucking change the radio station, that's how good the soundtrack is.

joelseph said:
The problem, as I understand it, is that speech and SFX are tied into the same audio options slider. They should be separate so you can lower the ambient noise and raise the speech.
This is the problem with every game, ever. How nobody has noticed it I have no idea. Just further proof developers don't actually play games.

Cdammen

Using the internet in GTA4 is really fucking cool. I wish I could've visited psuedo-NeoGAF though :)

Roman and me went out to play some darts but I fucked up at an intersection and the bike that I was driving hit the side of a car and we went on a short air trip. Roman was knocked unconscious and I felt really bad. Then I picked him up at the hospital and drove really slow and got him home safely. Awesome.

Also; "Yes Niko tell me more! You're so special!" and "Wow, she's a really good listener." :lol

Salazar

The cinematic angles while driving are so glorious. Still befuddled by the look of the game - one minute I love it, and the next I have to shut my eyes - but there are some things here that are just done unnaturally well. I don't think it is, in general, my kind of game, but I'm going to have to hang onto it for quite some time to just soak up the spots of perfection here and there.

lil smoke

Banned
Loudninja said:
Do anyone else really like he driving?
Yeah, I got used to it. I pretty much only use the handbrake, and I feather the accelerator. I don't mind driving a bit slow, because when you finally find a straightaway, it feels very fast by comparison when you gun it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wizpig said:
The Jazz Station is the best one in the game!
And now that i think about it, i'll throw a random question;

Electro Choc and the chill station... a bit disappointed with the offerings compared to some of the previous GTA's... still miss Rise and MSX from the original GTA.

Overall, this game is exactly what I thought it would be, no worse and no better than previous GTA's... apart from some very good dialogue, I still don't like the car and on foot controls (seems that cars were made even harder to control in this game), the fighting system seems slow and awkward, and the graphics look extremely blurry for some reason... Are there any filters you can use to turn off the blur (like you could in the PS2 ones)? I'm playing on3 60...

Issun23

Just nicked a car from a guy who stopped to answer his phone. Says "Hey babe!" and Niko pushes him out and goes "Get out Mr. Hey babe!" Amazing. :lol

I find the camera a bit too loose when driving. It often is hard to see what's in fornt of you when making a short turn. However, the feel of the cars is awesome.

I know that taking out(in a good way) your partners has benefits, but does taking out Michelle actually have any advantages?

Loudninja

lil smoke said:
Yeah, I got used to it. I pretty much only use the handbrake, and I feather the accelerator. I don't mind driving a bit slow, because when you finally find a straightaway, it feels very fast by comparison when you gun it.

yeah ounce you get it down it so easy.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Once you find the right cars for you, it's really a blast.

But gunplay is king.

The muscle cars are the best to me so far.

jjasper said:
Once I got used to it. Drunk driving is the best though.

I having tried duck driving yet.

PjotrStroganov said:
I find the camera a bit too loose when driving. It often is hard to see what's in fornt of you when making a short turn. However, the feel of the cars is awesome.

I regularly have to "lift" the camera to get a better look at what's in front of me.

TheKurgan

besada said:
Go to the strip club and step into the security office near the front. There's a shotgun there.

The Strip Club Shotgun and Molotov near the bowling alley are the only other weapon pick-up I have found in the game so far. Any other weapon pick ups on the first island? If things don’t pick up I am going to go on a cop killing rampage to build up my weapons stash.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Linkhero1 said:
Okay I'm back after playing for a hour. I'm used to handling cars now and damn the cops are really aggressive now. Even with just two stars I get busted easily. :lol

airport is a real easy way to lose a wanted level, even up to like four stars. Just enter the southern portion and then drive north on the runway, by the time you get to the other end you should have outrun the radius.

AirBrian

RSTEIN said:
So, um, what's the easiest way to get me a gun?
I went to the roller coaster area and just beat up the cop that patrols/walks around there. He drops his gun when you hit him a couple of times.

lil smoke

Banned
Has anyone found an ATM or bank? I recall reading that you can stash money so that it can't be taken when you get hospitalized or busted.

That would make it so much easier to 'obtain' weapons on a spree. Also, can we stash weapons anywhere? ... I'd spend a few weeks just getting money and weapons!

Wizpig

I just made a Vlad mission where you have to
decide the fate of a guy on the top of a building.
I let him live
, what did you do, GAF?

Smokey

Already is there ANY sort of technique or something that I'm missing to bowling. I can't get a strike for shit, and it's my least favorite mini-game but I need that achievement.

chapel

Banned
lil smoke said:
Has anyone found an ATM or bank? I recall reading that you can stash money so that it can't be taken when you get hospitalized or busted.

That would make it so much easier to 'obtain' weapons on a spree. Also, can we stash weapons anywhere? ... I'd spend a few weeks just getting money and weapons!
You keep your money and weapons when you are killed or arrested.

edit:
Wizpig said:
I just made a Vlad mission where you have to
decide the fate of a guy on the top of a building.
I let him live
, what did you do, GAF?
I let him live
I didnt like Vlad.

Evlar

Banned
lil smoke said:

There's one right around the corner (to the left I think) from where you spawn at the Hospital in Broker.

Sharp

Dechaios said:
Lol I just saw a special report on GTA4 on CNN... They're saying it will make video game history
Are they talking about the actual game or the sales? Both probably qualify.

Top Bottom