• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Smokey Bones said:
Already is there ANY sort of technique or something that I'm missing to bowling. I can't get a strike for shit, and it's my least favorite mini-game but I need that achievement.

I couldn't do well at all with the right stick throwing. Every one of my throws were real slow. When I switched to sixaxis control for bowling, it became much easier to throw it hard. Don't know what it is, but there must be some timing trick or something with the analogue control.

AirBrian

lil smoke said:
Has anyone found an ATM or bank? I recall reading that you can stash money so that it can't be taken when you get hospitalized or busted.

That would make it so much easier to 'obtain' weapons on a spree. Also, can we stash weapons anywhere? ... I'd spend a few weeks just getting money and weapons!

Not yet, but I did find an armored truck! That was fun (and rewarding) to blow up. :D

Smokey Bones said:
Already is there ANY sort of technique or something that I'm missing to bowling. I can't get a strike for shit, and it's my least favorite mini-game but I need that achievement.
Yeah, I must've played about 10 games and the best I could do was 2 strikes for an entire game.

I'm moving left about 2-3 "clicks" and throwing the ball straight ahead. It'll consistently get 9 pins, but no strikes. :-( I'm pretty sure you have to use the spin to get tons of strikes.

Sharp

levious said:
I couldn't do well at all with the right stick throwing. Every one of my throws were real slow. When I switched to sixaxis control for bowling, it became much easier to throw it hard. Don't know what it is, but there must be some timing trick or something with the analogue control.
For the bowling, is it just my imagination (probably) or can you partially control the trajectory of the ball after releasing it with one of the analog sticks?

Smokey

I just jacked this lady for her car in the middle of the street, she's running away screaming and BAM a car coming from the opposite direction fucking steam rolls here and she does like 3 backflips in the air before landing face first on the concrete!!

:lol :lol

Oh and again is there any kind of technique to stupid bowling??

lil smoke

Banned
chapel said:
You keep your money and weapons when you are killed or arrested.
Are you sure about this? In previous versions, they take a % of your holdings, and strip your weapons.

Otherwise there are no reprecussions to anything you do....?

I'm pretty sure they took some of what little cash I had.

besada

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
I just jacked this lady for her car in the middle of the street, she's running away screaming and BAM a car coming from the opposite direction fucking steam rolls here and she does like 3 backflips in the air before landing face first on the concrete!!

Just spent the last fifteen minutes pushing pedestrians in front of the subway. Ah, GTA!

Also, there's a baseball bat across from the safehouse, in the abandoned lot next to Comrades.

And arrests do make you lose your weapons, but hospitals don't.

Dyno

Played a few hours in. Never played a GTA game with any level of commitment. So far - so good as there many things that stand out.

- First of all, GTA is a bunch of minigames! They're tied together in a number of interesting and immersive ways but GTA is still bouncing around from driving missions, to a pool game, to a fight here and there. When taken from that perspective it's a very approachable game.

- Love the fistfighting, it's simple yet responsive and satisfying.

- I appreciate that Hove Beach, while quite beautiful in its own way, is small time all the way. Even the clothes, girls, and entertainment are mediocre at best. I think it's a great way to showcase the improved circumstances of the protagonist as the game progresses.

- Drunk driving has never been such a kick! I found that scene alone to be wildly inflammatory. Anti-videogamers should have a field day with that one.

- Lots of great humour. Buy a Baby, Waning with the Stars, it always makes it worth keeping an ear open.

Wizpig

I don't know if this is a bug, but when you are in a Taxi and you change the Radio FIRST you listen to the new station, THEN Niko says "Can we please listen to..." o_O

Jeff-DSA

So I spent about 4 hours with it last night and....SURPRISE! THE CONTROLS SUCK!

Rockstar is either retarded or they simply don't care. You can't tell me that after that many titles that they can't come up with a fluid control scheme. Every single other 3rd person action/shooter/adventure game out there, even those developed by sucky developers, has better controls. Running on foot is awful and driving is like trying to control whale. What kind of whale? Oh, like a beluga whale, I guess. I had to restart a mission because I beat my car up in a car chase and at the end of the mission when I had to drive back to the garage I bumped one car too many in the FINAL TURN and it totaled the car. Next thing I knew I was back 20 minutes restarting the mission. Thanks Rockstar!

Another thing that frustrates me is that you just can't save anywhere. I think in this era of gaming you should be able to save where you want, leave your console for a bit, and come back and resume your game. When I was ready to quit last night I was in the middle of a mission, so I just had to abandon it and I'll have to start over next time I fire it up.

The story so far is cool, and I love the city, but the reviewers that said that Rockstar addressed the old faults of the GTA franchise are full of crap. Moneyhats and overhype all around.

Still, I do find myself having fun, and that's a first for me in the GTA series, so I'm not ready to shelve the game yet.

Sorry, I needed to vent. A 10 for controls/gameplay? :lol

lil smoke

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Another thing that frustrates me is that you just can't save anywhere. I think in this era of gaming you should be able to save where you want, leave your console for a bit, and come back and resume your game. When I was ready to quit last night I was in the middle of a mission, so I just had to abandon it and I'll have to start over next time I fire it up.

Sorry, I needed to vent. A 10 for controls/gameplay? :lol
I think in time, you'll grow to appreciate the save system, and make an exception here. Especially when you have more places to save. Part of the game IMO, is getting away with all you can, and still making it home safely. Not bailing out when the going gets tough.

Steroyd

Do you get a Nokia or a Samsung or you know... any modern phone in the 21st century that has a backlight later in the game?

Not being able to see shit on my phone maybe nostalgic but it's really annoying.

Sharp

Steroyd said:
Do you get a Nokia or a Samsung or you know... any modern phone in the 21st century that has a backlight later in the game?

Not being able to see shit on my phone maybe nostalgic but it's really annoying.
Roman hints at it near the beginning of the game, so probably. I haven't gotten to it though.

levious

I don't see how you can say the controls suck. The main problem with the game I'd say is the character movement. Driving is more difficult than older GTAs but it's defintely possible to get very good at it. Aiming is easy, lock on works well, and switching between lock on targets is good.

DarkKyo

I love this game, but that's a complaint I have too. The fighting controls seem to suck major ass. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Wizpig said:
I just made a Vlad mission where you have to
decide the fate of a guy on the top of a building.
I let him live
, what did you do, GAF?

I killed him before the end of the building, so I didn't get to decide his fate :(

Dyno said:
- Drunk driving has never been such a kick! I found that scene alone to be wildly inflammatory. Anti-videogamers should have a field day with that one.

If anything I think it'll deter kids from driving drunk. Driving drunk in GTA is hard as hell! I can't even walk straight when drunk in that game. In fact I got 10 feet down the road and the cops pulled me over. I got up and stumbled away from them as fast as I could. Apparently public intoxication is a pretty serious offense in Liberty City, because the cops shot me dead. Talk about police brutality...

I just killed Vlad. I'm a little pissed that I did it because I still had missions left to run for him. I didn't know when I started the Uncle Vlad mission that it would end with me killing him
. I'm glad the game's story is finally starting to open up. The first two hours were kind of disappointing.

I drove up to Dukes and I swear I saw my Grandma's old house. She used to live in Queens. It's kind of creepy how accurate the game is to the boroughs of New York. Afterwards I climbed to the top of the World's Fair observation towers. That was a really impressive view. Then I accidentally fell off while trying to grab the ladder to climb down. Talk about an impressive death.

YES! I finally get to go to the strip club with Roman. I went alone but that wasn't fun and I had no cash anyways. and that lap dancer thought i touched her when i exited the damn thing :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
I must say the "Republican Space Rangers" was some funny stuff. They really hit the nail on the head with that cartoon. great stuff.

nofi

Sharp said:
Roman hints at it near the beginning of the game, so probably. I haven't gotten to it though.

Indeed he does.

Did you notice Niko's phone accurately reflects the one in the HUD? Right down to the text, menus etc as you scroll about? So cool.

Dyno

levious said:
I don't see how you can say the controls suck. The main problem with the game I'd say is the character movement. Driving is more difficult than older GTAs but it's defintely possible to get very good at it. Aiming is easy, lock on works well, and switching between lock on targets is good.

What I found to be unnecessary was the elasticity of the right stick. It always returns you to this neutral view but very often that view isn't good to see around you, especially when driving. It would have been nicer to let the camera angle stay were you leave it as it does in many other AAA third person titles.

Fighting with the camera to maintain the view you want gets frustrating.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Jeff-DSA said:
A 10 for controls/gameplay? :lol

They take time to get used to, is all.

A lot of time.

I spent a couple of hours alone getting used to the car controls of different type of vehicles. Now I can do 180 degree spins, know when and where to use the handbrake, apply the full brakes at the perfect time, and can do some pretty damn cool stuff on the bikes.

I'm learning gun controls now and expect them to take just as much time to get down. Learning how to approach something and when to hit RB to take cover on the proper side of it is key.

It's not as instantly pick-up-and-play friendly as previous titles. But then, it all feels and looks so good when the controls becomes second nature.

Don't use the missions themselves as your tutorial.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
DMPrince said:
YES! I finally get to go to the strip club with Roman. I went alone but that wasn't fun and I had no cash anyways. and that lap dancer thought i touched her when i exited the damn thing :lol

I haven't left the club yet without having to shoot my way out.

AirBrian

Steroyd said:

Changing the text (in the phone options menu) to large helps a lot.

Also, being able to call individual people in multi-player is extremely rad.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Multiplayer is as completely outrageous or controled as you want it to be. Within an hour span last night, I was in a 16 player, 4 team TDM that was completely out of control. At one point my team found a bus, started cleaning up, got a tire popped and rolled over sideways, hopped out nad used it as cover until we got rocket launched from someone on a roof. Then i had a 8 player TDM in a much smaller area that played likea match of Ghost Recon. It takes abit to get a grasp of the controls, especially multiplayer, but good lord ihe reward sweet.

Jeff-DSA

levious said:

Character and car movement is atrocious.

2DMention

Banned
That's a gripe I have about this game too - the controls aren't as tight as the older games so far. Niko walks very slowly, and you have to tap to run. At least he doesn't seem to tire like other GTA heroes. The handling on the cars is really wonky. I went on a date to the bowling alley and I couldn't even figure out how to bowl.

levious

character movement I'd agree with, I really think you'll change your mind about the cars once you get better.

nofi

2DMention said:
The handling on the cars is really wonky. I went on a date to the bowling alley and I couldn't even figure out how to bowl.

There's instructions in the top left corner of the screen... :/

Story spoiler (not related to bowling, mind):
You get an advanced phone with the ability to take photos

2DMention

Banned
I have to say I really like the GPS thing. Much easier to get around. But would poor russian immigrants be able to afford such a luxury?

Wizpig

Damn, this game is becoming more and more serious.
I just met Vladimir after
i killed Vlad

But can you guys explain to me one thing i didn't really get?
Niko's
after a traitor, alright, but i didn't really paid attention when he explained WHY and WHERE this man betrayed him.
I just know it was back in the war.

And, does Vladimir know Niko or something?
Because he called Niko by name o_O

I think the driving feels good, in fact I actually enjoy it. I've had no problems with it so far. On foot is another story though, Nico controls like one of the cars and is just SO SLOW. I hate that you have to hold a button to run, it just seems kind of archaic.

That aside, the game is a blast. The dialogue and interaction with other characters and the environment is second to none. My favorite moment so far was during a mission, I was chasing someone up a flight of stairs in an apartment building. A woman is walking down the staircase, and the guy I'm chasing pushes the woman down the stairs and yells "Wrong place, wrong time!" and as the woman somersaults down the stairs, Nico pushes her again and yells "Sorry lady!"

Also, my favorite Roman moment:

If you call him right after the first mission for the Russians after he's been shot, he's totally out of it on pain killers. Right before he hangs up he says "Nico, can you pick me up some adult diapers?" I LOLed. The fact that conversation is totally optional is pretty cool. There are so many nice little touches like that.

Frenck

Banned
Holy Shit!

I'm already giving up on the missions, way too hard for me now :lol

It's like hitting a brick wall.

How am I supposed to take down a damn chopper and an army of cops with a fucking Uzi and a Shotgun?

_RT_

PS3 user.
Trying to link my user ID with the Social Club site.
When accessing the page online, I try to sign in with my e-mail and password and it is telling me it's incorrect.

Is this due to the online problems with the PS3 currently?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
for those complaining about the driving controls, it gets much easier. Later on, the cars get much better and you're already used to controlling them. I had a problem at first, but it's pretty much solved.

Loving the game so far, but only a couple hours in. The hardest thing for me to get used to was the driving. But after readings some of this thread, I changed my driving style. Instead of treating it like past GTA's I began treating it more like I would driving in Forza / GTA. Just this change in perspective has made me a much better driver. I still haven't mastered it, but I can usually get to where I need to go without hitting anything.

ALeperMessiah said:
Loving the game so far, but only a couple hours in. The hardest thing for me to get used to was the driving. But after readings some of this thread, I changed my driving style. Instead of treating it like past GTA's I began treating it more like I would driving in Forza / GTA. Just this change in perspective has made me a much better driver. I still haven't mastered it, but I can usually get to where I need to go without hitting anything.

I did the same thing. Gotten me out of many a scrape.

boco77

Banned
can i get the survive for 5 min with six star achivement if im hiding and the stars are greyed out (but still in the police area)

chapel

Banned
I honestly think anyone having problems needs to learn how to play games. I agree that the controls aren't as tight as other AAA games, and it has quirks, but to blame your lack of skill or ability on the game when you fail missions is just dumb. The bowling is easy, the pool is easy, driving is easy (you can't just bail down the road anymore and make all the turns) as long as you use your brakes. Niko is a bit slow, but why run when you can drive or even call a taxi for free?

Loving the game.

painey

went on a date to Steinway beer garden and got sloshed.. as I was leaving I drunkenly fell over some guy, we were both on the floor and there was literally 3 minutes of us getting up and knocking each other over, euphoria is brilliant :lol

Evlar

Banned
Fuckin' love the car controls in this. Much much much better than previous GTAs for me, those cars felt like they weighed about 50 pounds. These cars respond a little bit like I would expect actual cars to handle, or at least cars in a standard arcade racer.

I managed to get a police car into Algonquin last night (before I could legally cross the bridges). That was a hell of a ride.

derder

2DMention said:
I have to say I really like the GPS thing. Much easier to get around. But would poor russian immigrants be able to afford such a luxury?

I hate it, I've been playing the game for 13 hours and i still dont have the city memorized like i did with 3,vc,sa; and i don't feel the need to...

Top Bottom