• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lé Blade Runner said:
Thank God you can adjust this from the 'display' -menu.
While it does help a bit, there are still parts in the game where you can't see shit! :(

Seiken said:
While it does help a bit, there are still parts in the game where you can't see shit! :(

I don't know, i've got this game running on my 24" HDMI monitor with modded game setting and it looks like a frigging painting. So awesome.

OT: I'm new to the PS3 and i was just wondering how to use voice chat ingame. I have paierd my bluetooth headset with the console but i dont know how to test it out and use ingame.

Both my room/house mates are playing it on a 360 hooked up to Acer LCD displays (via VGA). On some parts of day, morning or noon, (in GTA) it almost looks like they're playing in black n white.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh and Brucie is the best character ever created in a GTA.

I'm serious now, I don't laugh much when playing a GTA game... I'm constantly laughing during Brucie-cutscenes though! I think he's my type of man!

Leonsito

Fallout-NL said:
Both my room/house mates are playing it on a 360 hooked up to Acer LCD displays (via VGA). On some parts of day, morning or noon, (in GTA) it almost looks like they're playing in black n white.

Yeah, that happens to me too, i think it's more of an artistic feature. If you enter in a building when it's black&white outside you will see the colours are the same a always.

Sean

Banned
There is so much stuff to do in this game it's crazy... I'm constantly getting sidetracked and playing pool, bowling, watching TV, the cabaret shows, arcade cabinets and everything. At this rate I won't beat the game for another month :lol

Seiken said:
Oh yeah, I can officially confirm that the gamma in GTA4 is fucked up. It's dark, almost all the time.

Yeah the default settings were WAY too dark for me.... impossible to see where I was going when it was night time. I turned up the contrast and that helped quite a bit, though it's still kinda dark at times.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Seiken said:

I'm serious now, I don't laugh much when playing a GTA game... I'm constantly laughing during Brucie-cutscenes though! I think he's my type of man!

If only the missions he gave weren't so fucking horrible.

And does he get funnier or am I just not being amused by these first three or four?

Seiken said:

the best is the mission where
he and Roman put up a page for you on the dating website so you can out with and kill another man, but if you go and read your profile, you entire pro section is describing Brucie.

Yoshichan

QVT said:
If only the missions he gave weren't so fucking horrible.

And does he get funnier or am I just not being amused by these first three or four?
If you don't like the way he is in the first three missions, you won't like the rest :(
Linkzg said:
the best is the mission where
he and Roman put up a page for you on the dating website so you can out with and kill another man, but if you go and read your profile, you entire pro section is describing Brucie.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Kosma

Banned
Tieno said:
Fuck, I just realised thursday is a holiday so the post doesn't work then, and they also took off friday, lazy fuckers. Saturday and sunday they don't deliver mail anyway. So i'll probably get GTA4 monday earliest, but then I'm back at University so no GTA4 for me till next wednesday or thursday earliest.

Bleh.

Sucks mate. Add me to your friendslist. I will kick your butt.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Holy shit this game is f-ing awesome,that is all.

Goldrusher

Tieno said:
Fuck, I just realised thursday is a holiday so the post doesn't work then, and they also took off friday, lazy fuckers. Saturday and sunday they don't deliver mail anyway. So i'll probably get GTA4 monday earliest, but then I'm back at University so no GTA4 for me till next wednesday or thursday earliest.

Bleh.

The downside of a worldwide release. But in the end, you'll be able to buy 3 games for the same money you otherwise would've spent on 2.

65+65= 130
43+43+43 = 129

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Loving the game so far. I do hate the car camera, though. There's no reason for me to have to CONSTANTLY move the right stick to see what's ahead of me. It makes what should be a fun part of the game, driving, a chore. =/

WrikaWrek

Banned
We tight we tight, i was going to say tighter than my abs but nothing is tighter than my abs know what i'm sayin aahahahahah

Brucie is teh shit

Mutagenic said:
Loving the game so far. I do hate the car camera, though. There's no reason for me to have to CONSTANTLY move the right stick to see what's ahead of me. It makes what should be a fun part of the game, driving, a chore. =/

You have 4 different cameras son.

Just finished playing darts with Roman. Now I know how that fucking game works! It's always looked so confusing and now that i know the rules, I might actually go out and buy a dart board :lol :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
aztrex said:
Just finished playing darts with Roman. Now I know how that fucking game works! It's always looked so confusing and now that i know the rules, I might actually go out and buy a dart board :lol :lol

How do you do a double?

I don't understand that shit.

**MAJOR SPOILER about 30% into the Story**

Did you guys kill Dwayne or Playboy X? I killed Playboy X because he was full of himself, though the entire scenario was very sudden. Was a close call though.

Hey guys! PISSWASER actually exists!

48185235256d2.jpg

But there's no way in hell I'm going to drink it...

nofi

WrikaWrek said:
How do you do a double?

I don't understand that shit.

Where do you live that you don't have darts, dude?

The 'doubles' are the outer red rings, the triples are the inner rings.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Steroyd said:
I am surprised at the lack of pub games knowledge. :)

The outer rim of the board.

nofi said:
Where do you live that you don't have darts, dude?

The 'doubles' are the outer red rings, the triples are the inner rings.

Why would i be playing darts when i have pool and "table soccer"(Matrecos, i don't know the word in english) to play?

The ones playing Darts in the pubs i go are always the retarded people, that look and smell nasty, and have more beers in them than you can imagine.

JRW

My god I sat down around 6PM to check out GTA4 and next thing I knew it was 1AM, Absolutely insane! This is one amazing game.

KZObsessed

Woohoo! My Special Edition came today. the box is so awesome, I'm a sucker for Special/Limited/Collector's Editions.

My phone camera sucks but here it is.

GTAIVSE.jpg

No I'm gonna go install it haha.

If anyone wants to add me go ahead, I live in the UK tho.

PSN: FFObsessed

Tr4nce

So ehm, after giving my initial impressions like 20 pages ago, I now start to have this eery feeling of overwhelmingness (if that is even a word). This is the first time that I'm scared of the scale of a game :lol

At a certain point in time I knew every map of every GTA game from the top of my head, but with GTAIV, it's going to take a long time I guess. This game is pure bliss. Yesterday I went for some cab rides, and I totally love it. Also the graphics give me this dreamy feel. The graphics are growing on me. I love this game.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
loving the game, its scary how big it is though. I keep relying on the GPS but at the same time I dont want to rely on it cos that way I will never ever learn my own way around or where things are. Its kind of overwhelming.

Love the city, saw a taxi hit a pedestrian yesterday who proceeded to punch up the taxi driver - his passenger gets out and they both beat up the pedestrian and walk off - I steal the dead guys money and the now vacant cab :D Awesome

Its annoying trying to get back to the safehouse to save though, I literally spent 3 hours trying to go home yesterday, kept getting distracted by missions or accidentally crashing my car and getting caught stealing cars or running people over etc.

Roman's stupid taxi did pick me up one time and about halfway I was testing out buttons and accidentally shot my gun so cops started chasing the taxi and I'm like "fuck, speed up and run away" but he gets to my house and drops me off! so then I finally got home but now I'm running as far away from it as possible! and since then Roman's taxi's have been unavailable, fucking stupid. Is it supposed to send a cab everytime or just periodically? Surely it should be anytime you want one. Did I screw up my taxi service? :(

IronicallyTwisted said:
**MAJOR SPOILER about 30% into the Story**

Did you guys kill Dwayne or Playboy X? I killed Playboy X because he was full of himself, though the entire scenario was very sudden. Was a close call though.

Dwayne and Niko have a lot in common, the world they are in is totally different to the world they knew. Playboy X fell into his fortune and didn't actually seem to be doing anything to earn it at all. Plus it was obvious you would get to use his apartment :D

nofi

WrikaWrek said:
Why would i be playing darts when i have pool and "table soccer"(Matrecos, i don't know the word in english) to play?

The ones playing Darts in the pubs i go are always the retarded people, that look and smell nasty, and have more beers in them than you can imagine.

Yeah, damn pesky pubs that have beers, I'd stay away too. :lol

Artofwar420

Woohoo! My Special Edition came today. the box is so awesome, I'm a sucker for Special/Limited/Collector's Editions.

My phone camera sucks but here it is.

GTAIVSE.jpg

No I'm gonna go install it haha.

If anyone wants to add me go ahead, I live in the UK tho.

PSN: FFObsessed

That's tight bro, I don't know who's $50 I'm going to "borrow", but I can't wait till payday. From what I've heard, if I wait too long, I might have to wait even longer if they don't have the game in stock.

Grandma? JK.

rod

Banned
kaizoku said:
loving the game, its scary how big it is though. I keep relying on the GPS but at the same time I dont want to rely on it cos that way I will never ever learn my own way around or where things are. Its kind of overwhelming.

Love the city, saw a taxi hit a pedestrian yesterday who proceeded to punch up the taxi driver - his passenger gets out and they both beat up the pedestrian and walk off - I steal the dead guys money and the now vacant cab :D Awesome

Its annoying trying to get back to the safehouse to save though, I literally spent 3 hours trying to go home yesterday, kept getting distracted by missions or accidentally crashing my car and getting caught stealing cars or running people over etc.

Roman's stupid taxi did pick me up one time and about halfway I was testing out buttons and accidentally shot my gun so cops started chasing the taxi and I'm like "fuck, speed up and run away" but he gets to my house and drops me off! so then I finally got home but now I'm running as far away from it as possible! and since then Roman's taxi's have been unavailable, fucking stupid. Is it supposed to send a cab everytime or just periodically? Surely it should be anytime you want one. Did I screw up my taxi service? :(

did you get the pstriple version dude?

Johnkers

Banzaiaap said:
Is it possible to spawn things like Helicopters in multiplayer? I'd love to do that because then we don't need to look for one for like 30 mins when we crash it.

Would like to know this also.

Speaking of which, are cheats available in multiplayer? Spawning guns and such?

Tr4nce

I have only one negative thing. I tought that in some preview or something, I read that it was possible to ride the Screamer rollercoaster in Broker, but it appears that that is not the case. That was a bit disappointing.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Tr4nce said:
I have only one negative thing. I tought that in some preview or something, I read that it was possible to ride the Screamer rollercoaster in Broker, but it appears that that is not the case. That was a bit disappointing.

I tried to walk up it but you eventually hit too much of a slope and fall down. :(

Walshicus

Hey guys, how many Helicopter types are there in the game? I've come across two so far - the police chopper and the smaller civilian one. A friend of mine thinks Edge wrote about a Chinook...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Tr4nce said:
During the first date with Michelle it mentions the "Fun Fair" was being upgraded to a "LAs Venturas" style theme park, I dunno if its scripted into the game or thats to be added by DLC< not got far yet.

Alright, my gripes yesterday behind me, I have spent more time with the game and I think I'm reaching "hooked" status. I've been staying up way later than usual now for the past two nights with no end in sight.

Its a great game. I still want to say "shame on you" to all the reviewers who made idiotic comments like "Oscar worthy", etc. but if you ignore all that shit, the game is still pretty awesome. I kinda think Little Jacob is going to be the next character that everyone remembers and loves in this series. :D

I really like the violence in this game. Its more real and gritty than most games. For example, I accidently hit another car while pulling up to my safehouse. The driver gets out, I get out, and he punches me. Then, another random pedestrian decides to get in on it and punches me too. Kinda weird and random, but whatever. So anyway, I take out my baseball bat and put the two of them down.

One of them doesn't get back up. He's gone. The other, well he attempts to get to his feet a couple of times before falling down and struggling like a wounded animal. Something about that just made me take notice like never before. It was very convincing. He kind of had his hands over his face when I stood over him. I was going to finish him off, but he looked pretty hurt and in shock, so I left him there on the street. I like to think maybe he got picked up by an Ambo or just eventually walked if off. :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I kinda think Little Jacob is going to be the next character that everyone remembers and loves in this series.
Heh, LJ is totally awesome. Though, shamefully, I had to enable subtitles specifically for him.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
studio810 said:
Anyone have any tips for hand to hand combat? Seems like 1 out of 5 of my punches hits.

Kick, Punch, Its all in the mind....Wait, thats not GTA...

Er, Switching between punches, alt punches and Kicks seem to work best, but at times a bit of pummelling works too, just rea how the guy reacts and try other attack methods accordingly.
dark10x said:
Heh, LJ is totally awesome. Though, shamefully, I had to enable subtitles specifically for him.
Thats not shameful, I've known a few guys from that part of the world, and his accent still had me saying "WHAT?!", kudos to Rockstar for having the bravery to allow such strong accented characters in the game, not resorting to diluting them for a mainstream audience.

Geoff9920

dark10x said:
LJ I can usually understand, but his friends (badman?) accent is about ten times stronger. I never know wtf he's saying. :lol

Top Bottom