• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Frenck

Banned
chapel said:
I honestly think anyone having problems needs to learn how to play games. I agree that the controls aren't as tight as other AAA games, and it has quirks, but to blame your lack of skill or ability on the game when you fail missions is just dumb. The bowling is easy, the pool is easy, driving is easy (you can't just bail down the road anymore and make all the turns) as long as you use your brakes. Niko is a bit slow, but why run when you can drive or even call a taxi for free?

Loving the game.

Later on it gets genuinely hard. Right now I have to get out of a building with the police already alarmed and there is a damn army out there with a helicopter circling around me. If I shoot some cops I get more and more stars until it's impossible to escape and if I try to escape without killing all the cops I get shot by the helicopter.

The cops blocked all the roads so getting out of there by car is next to impossible. It would be easier if I had some good anti vehicle weapons like grenades or an RPG.

Smokey

derder said:
I hate it, I've been playing the game for 13 hours and i still dont have the city memorized like i did with 3,vc,sa; and i don't feel the need to...

You know you can turn it off right?

Evlar said:
Fuckin' love the car controls in this. Much much much better than previous GTAs for me, those cars felt like they weighed about 50 pounds. These cars respond a little bit like I would expect actual cars to handle, or at least cars in a standard arcade racer.

I managed to get a police car into Algonquin last night (before I could legally cross the bridges). That was a hell of a ride.

How the hell did you do this? I'm dying to get into Algonquin.

derder

Smokey Bones said:
You know you can turn it off right?

Yeah, but I'm racing my friend to see who can 100% it first... so I feel as though I have to use it...

Stupid I know, I felt the same way about wowhead.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
chiming in and saying how much I love car handling in this also, and am floored that some people are complaining about it at all. I am pulling 80+mph car chases without a single crash or screwup. I hated the way the cars used to control and definitely find this a huge step up. Everything behaves much more how you'd expect it to. the only problem I have overall with driving is dealing with lots of hills and the camera not adjusting its height.. that's kind of annoying.you ned up going up a steeper hill at a high speed and even after you hit the apex you can't see down the hill because the camera is still underneath you. even worse when you take the hill fast and jump. :(

but that's camera issues, of which there are a few. the actual driving controls are total aces.

Evlar

Banned
StrikerObi said:
How the hell did you do this? I'm dying to get into Algonquin.
Get into the Hove Beach train station, then drive along the tracks toward oncoming trains. At a point when incoming/outgoing lines are running right next to each other jump to the other side and keep driving on the tracks. Ended up deep under Algonquin in Star Junction (typical New York deep subway- burn barrels and old furniture used by the homeless, subway tracks crossing every which way). By that time I had a six-star rating but it seems the cops and feds couldn't find me down there. I abandoned my car there and then just ran out of the subway (and promptly got shot). I'd like to try driving the car back out of the subway and running from the Fuzz next time.

EDIT: Also, zero loading whatsoever, despite taking an unorthodox route in a car and driving ~100 MPH between boroughs. Impressive.

The variety in the streets and neighborhoods is probably what has impressed me the most thus far. While driving around town, I swear I thought I saw a hasidic jew driving a cadillac. Being Jewish, I assumed this was my mind playing tricks on me...but decided to investigate anyway.

So, I stole a car and chased him down until I pulled out a gun and forced him out of his car. Low and behold, he had a yamulka on and everything -- talk about shocked. After that, I just didn't know what to do. I felt...bad. Did I really need to hold a gun to the head of a super orthodox jew driving a cadillac?

Then, as I began to turn away, he punched me. Yes. He punched me...right in the schwartz.

Artadius

I don't see a multiplayer thread in the Online forum other than the gamertag one...so I'll post this here.

Spent most of the last two nights not actually playing through the story but enjoying the hell out of multiplayer with friends. Specifically Cops and Crooks mode. It is just so gooooood. I actually prefer it with protect the boss on instead of off so that everyone (except the boss obviously) respawns and requires more in the way of teamwork.

Has anyone had any luck in getting the kill a rockstar employee achievement yet? Are these guys playing regular matches mainly or ranked?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
derder said:
I hate it, I've been playing the game for 13 hours and i still dont have the city memorized like i did with 3,vc,sa; and i don't feel the need to...

I totally feel you on this. I really can't remember where the fuck I'm going. I don't know... the city seems a lot more intimidating for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the better graphics or whatever.

Smokey

RSTEIN said:
I totally feel you on this. I really can't remember where the fuck I'm going. I don't know... the city seems a lot more intimidating for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the better graphics or whatever.

It is intimidating, just how NYC would be to an outsider. I suggest you guys do some side missions. I've completed all of Jacobs and one the last one for Brucie, and have 5 more crimes to stop in the police cruiser. They take a long time, but it is starting to get me used to Broker and Dukes.

Himuro said:
The thing about it is that I thought you couldn't access Dukes. I thought you could only access Broker.

Dukes is on the same island as Broker. It's the northern part. Bohan is the one that you have to cross the bridge to get to.

Nameless

Just my luck I've been sick with a pretty bad cold/fever the past two days, so I haven't gotten to play nearly as much as I've wanted, but this game is amazing.

One funny moment, a cop had arrested a guy and was guiding him back to the squad car and gunpoint. I couldn't let that happen so I ran up behind the cop and dropped him with a haymaker. The guy took off running and I took off running behind him. The cops eventually caught up with us, and shot the poor bastard like 15 times, before eventually killing me as well. :lol

xabre

Banned
GTA4 pushes gaming to new heights, those reviewers weren't joking. Show me a world as fleshed out as this in any other game or medium for that matter? I must have spent a good hour using the in-game internet just like I did with the TV yesterday. Brilliant satire and parody throughout, it's a funny and amazing social commentary on our time.

I love the driving and found it awesome from the beginning. I don't have much GTA experience so I'm not treating it like past GTAs and that's probably why I didn't have much trouble with it.

Something stupid, but it's been bugging me.
In the mission where you have to follow the drug dealer, the mission starts at Little Jacob's apartment but you have to drive all the way to Bohan just to follow the dealer. I failed the mission twice (damn cell phone going off and spooking the dealer) and had to drive alll the way to Bohan again. Twice.

Sh0k

Can somebody check the back of the actual game box inside the Special Edition and see if there is a bar code or if it has the not for resale sign covering the bar code.

nofi

funkmastergeneral said:
In the mission where you have to follow the drug dealer, the mission starts at Little Jacob's apartment but you have to drive all the way to Bohan just to follow the dealer. I failed the mission twice (damn cell phone going off and spooking the dealer) and had to drive alll the way to Bohan again. Twice.

Switch it to 'silent' when you're on missions like this mate.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Last night, I stole a car with some passengers in it. I decided to bail out and saw the car go over and fall to the ocean. I thought they were dead until I saw them swimming back to safety :lol

Smokey

Andokuky said:
How do you access vigilante mode in the police cars?

While stationary in the police car, press LB and it'll bring up the computer. Go to reported crimes and pick which one you want to do.

Max@GC

Jtyettis said:
Oh my goodness, lmao did you see what is in the statue of liberty? :lol

Thats why I was asking.:D

img.php

img.php

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I guess PS3 users can go online now, because I just played a little bit online, pretty cool actually. I cannot wait to play more once I get back.,

Almyn

The graphical style of this game has really grown on me. When i first booted the game up i was really disappointed, It was blurry (On ps3 at least) and really dull and just generally hard to make anything out. But after messing with the in-game settings and my televisions contrast/brightness i've really growing to love it.

I've just after finishing up an hour long session and i feel like my eyes have finally adjusted to the game, And it looks incredible. Running around in the early afternoon on a mission for vlad, The sky was bright blue, Niko was wandering down the street towards a laundramat, Pistol in hand, and there was a queue of cars lined up at the corner just ahead. The game almost looked cel shaded for a moment. It was awesome.

funkmastergeneral said:

I ended up taking a cab back to Bohan, it was way faster.

Tr4nce

Just played some Deathmatch, at night, with rocketlaunchers only. That was some intense shit!!! Sometimes the rocket doesn't hit you, but it hits the ground and the explosion sends you hurling through the air for some meters. Then you stand up and realise your still alive. ACE.

GOTF. GOTF.

Ploid 3.0

Man I was watching a dude play GTA4 on justin.tv. The quality was the best of the streams, and such, then he exited to the xmb and opened the browser then typed out meatspin dot blah blaah... what the crap. Hope none of you were watching that while at work. I need to find this game. I can't deal with snail mail of ordering online.

mxz

There are a few more expensive clothes shops once you get to the other islands. Niko is now wearing a fancy suit, hehe.

AirBrian

Speaking of clothes, yesterday I posted about losing your hat/sunglasses when getting hit by a car...well when you go back to your hideout, you have the option to change clothes and they're there. So my money wasn't wasted after all!

_RT_

AirBrian said:
Speaking of clothes, yesterday I posted about losing your hat/sunglasses when getting hit by a car...well when you go back to your hideout, you have the option to change clothes and they're there. So my money wasn't wasted after all!

Well that's funny. I was wondering where my sunglasses went last night.
Every fucking detail.

Amazing.

Andokuky

Banned
nofi said:
You have to be stationary.

I was. I'm reading this ability doesn't unlock until after a certain spot of the game. I'm like 3 missions into single player. Plus I was trying in free mode online.

Top Bottom