• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

zig

I wonder if they'll show any of the game being played on their in-studio paltalk cams.. probably too much to hope for.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
h3ro said:
Yeah, great job finding similar pics! Getting anything in terms of Graphics is a bonus for GTA IMO, the variety of gameplay makes up for a lot...

Does anyone know if the PS3 version will do 7.1 surround?

Amazing how they released very similiar screenshots for both games.

Costanza said:
If it's a 24 hour Wal-mart, they have to bring it out at midnight. If they don't, just start bitching and ask for a manager. You'll get the game.
It's a regular Wal Mart. :/ I think I've made a huge mistake.

w/o the filter, the gta4 screens look a little too good. idk what to think to be honest. hopefully im pleasantly disappointed in 11 days!

Ariexv

Some more Info

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/g.../a-20080417104842796022/g-2006051014323586065

Since people seem to think these deserve spoiler tags

GTA IV Contains pool, basketball Go Go Space Monkey return, darts, and a Driving range! Your cell has a Camera, Graffiti includes the motorcycle from VC's boxart, along with characters El Burro and 8-Ball. There's pictures of Vice City on some walls.

Rob a bank? Murder a crime boss? People are going to know about it. The news tickers in Star Junction (Liberty City’s Times Square) and around the city are always being updated - along, sadly for you, with descriptions of the perpetrator.

Those of you who aren’t overwhelmed by the graphics (seriously - what’s wrong with you?) should take a close look at this. First car: driver facing forward. Second car: driver checking the mirror. Third car: driver looking out the side window. GTA IV’s about the little details - and they’re staggering.

Flushing Meadows (site of the NY World’s Fair) is featured in its entirety, as is a recreation of theme park Astroland at Coney Island. Rides such as the Corpse Ride and Cyclone can be tested

In a nod to Saints Row, any phone number you find, be it on a sign, flyer or even scrawled on a bathroom wall, can be contacted for aid and, sometimes, secrets.

See the sky tram on the box? It’s actually a form of transport that you can ride - if you pay the fare.

Teknoman

Ariexv said:
Some more Info

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/g.../a-20080417104842796022/g-2006051014323586065

Since people seem to think these deserve spoiler tags

GTA IV Contains pool, basketball Go Go Space Monkey return, darts, and a Driving range! Your cell has a Camera, Graffiti includes the motorcycle from VC's boxart, along with characters El Burro and 8-Ball. There's pictures of Vice City on some walls.

Rob a bank? Murder a crime boss? People are going to know about it. The news tickers in Star Junction (Liberty City’s Times Square) and around the city are always being updated - along, sadly for you, with descriptions of the perpetrator.

Those of you who aren’t overwhelmed by the graphics (seriously - what’s wrong with you?) should take a close look at this. First car: driver facing forward. Second car: driver checking the mirror. Third car: driver looking out the side window. GTA IV’s about the little details - and they’re staggering.

Flushing Meadows (site of the NY World’s Fair) is featured in its entirety, as is a recreation of theme park Astroland at Coney Island. Rides such as the Corpse Ride and Cyclone can be tested

In a nod to Saints Row, any phone number you find, be it on a sign, flyer or even scrawled on a bathroom wall, can be contacted for aid and, sometimes, secrets.

See the sky tram on the box? It’s actually a form of transport that you can ride - if you pay the fare.

I cant wait to check out all the ads then. Man this cant come soon enough!

Still though, why hasnt there been any information on whether or not people will be able to form gangs/families/clans?

Im starting to get very worried that when this game comes out, im gonna become super antisocial and just play it all day. There is so much to do in this game and we barely know any of it.

Teknoman

Hmm...you know if they actually make mouths move when people speak through headsets in MP, I can see some interesting (hopefully) machinema(sp?) coming out of this.

Also I wonder how cell phones will come into play online, if at all.

raYne

Teknoman said:
Hmm...you know if they actually make mouths move when people speak through headsets in MP, I can see some interesting (hopefully) machinema(sp?) coming out of this.

Also I wonder how cell phones will come into play online, if at all.
That always looks terrible. From PCs to consoles, I've never seen it executed well. Plus, the characters are too small and you'd never get to see them up close enough for it to matter.

Oh, and about your "gangs/families/clans" question: I'd guess something is built into the Social Club for it.

SpokkX

I would have thought there would be a comparision between the two versions soon from a "real" site

I want to know which version is better technically!

SpokkX

Why is that?

I guess that would make ps3/360-fanboys scream in terror/joy

I can´t believe they actually care myself, I would just like to know which version to spend my money on. Simple as that

pswii60

got2bekidding said:
Old but still cool. Everytime someone posts it, I still click it to watch it again.
Same here, and normally I don't give a shit about videogame TV ads. Best videogame TV ad ever. Oozes coolness.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
pswii60 said:
Same here, and normally I don't give a shit about videogame TV ads. Best videogame TV ad ever. Oozes coolness.

agreed. I can't count how many times I've watched that clip now. Images and music blend perfectly. Seriously one of the best ads I've seen

BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE

Esperado said:
Does it look better than Crysis?

GTAIV is an ugly, ugly game. Somehow gamers have this double standard for GTA that doesn't apply to any other franchise. It doesn't matter if the game looks awful, has pop-in, frame-dips, or whatever, people won't complain about it because it's made by Rockstar, you can have sex with hookers and kill cops. Somehow that makes all the problems that people would normally point out in any other franchise magically go away?

Very strange double standard and it makes gamers look like complete idiots sometime.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that the game at least lives up to GTAIII.

Loudninja

permutated said:
GTAIV is an ugly, ugly game. Somehow gamers have this double standard for GTA that doesn't apply to any other franchise. It doesn't matter if the game looks awful, has pop-in, shameless adverts, or whatever, people won't complain about it because it's made by Rockstar, you can have sex with hookers and kill cops. Somehow that makes all the problems that people would normally point out in any other franchise magically go away?

Very strange double standard and it makes gamers look like complete idiots sometime.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Loudninja said:

Did you see the post I was responding too or did you just get irritated because I don't buy into the hype train?

Whatever, I don't care, I'm going to bed.

8bit

Knows the Score
Darunia said:
agreed. I can't count how many times I've watched that clip now. Images and music blend perfectly. Seriously one of the best ads I've seen

It's the point where there's a guy holding a gun and the bullets are firing in time to the drums that I especially like, but the whole thing is very impressive.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Loudninja said:

well, he IS right. GTA was never a graphical showcase, but people eat it up and splooge all over it.

But that's mainly because of how good the actual game is. As we can all tell, graphics are not everything.

Edit: The graphics are pretty good in this game, however. Not the best, but great regardless.

Okay, this trailer was pretty fucking badass. Link

Tr4nce

dammitmattt said:
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE
BREAK THE STREET DATE

I couldn't agree with you more. Cheers.

Edit: don't know if it was already posted, but GTA IV has gone gold.

PSU.com said:
Take-Two's shareholders meeting took place last night, where the publisher revealed that Grand Theft Auto IV has finally gone gold, smashing recent rumours that Electronic Arts' USD 2 billion acquisition offer could set a delay for the highly anticipated title from RockStar Games.

Take-Two CEO Ben Feder said that it's “in production and in trucks en route to retailers." The game will be rated M for Mature and will be released on April 29 for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

A fine day in the history of gaming, gentlemen.

Edit2: sorry, gnarkill bill already posted this. Darn internets :lol

Ten-Song

EvaPlusMinus said:
well, he IS right. GTA was never a graphical showcase, but people eat it up and splooge all over it.

But that's mainly because of how good the actual game is. As we can all tell, graphics are not everything.

Yeah, obviously it's not some super awesome graphical showcase, but to say it's "an ugly, ugly game" is just a wee bit of a stretch.

Loudninja

permutated said:
Did you see the post I was responding too or did you just get irritated because I don't buy into the hype train?

Whatever, I don't care, I'm going to bed.

Yeah, i read your post, calling it and ugly ugly game is just crap.

Stahsky

Ten-Song said:
Yeah, obviously it's not some super awesome graphical showcase, but to say it's "an ugly, ugly game" is just a wee bit of a stretch.

Well, I don't agree with him on that at all. Just saying, that as far as the double standard thing he is talking about, he is pretty spot on. But hey, people adore Halo 3 and that's not exactly a graphical powerhouse either.

Popular games are popular. I wonder how a 2D GTA would do in these times. How would the crowd handle it? Interesting times, indeed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GTAIV, an ugly game :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ten-Song

EvaPlusMinus said:
Well, I don't agree with him on that at all. Just saying, that as far as the double standard thing he is talking about, he is pretty spot on. But hey, people adore Halo 3 and that's not exactly a graphical powerhouse either.

Popular games are popular. I wonder how a 2D GTA would do in these times. How would the crowd handle it? Interesting times, indeed.

I was never quite fond of the 2D GTA's...

Also, I just don't quite get the double standard he's talking about... I haven't really seen anyone here praise the game for all the nice graphical touches, and how it's the best looking game ever, some people are saying it looks pretty cool, and it does.

Is it that I'm supposed to fault a game that plays awesome, but only looks decent, and praise any game that looks better, but plays like shit? I'm not quite sure what he's trying to get at, other than stirring shit up.

Stahsky

Ten-Song said:

Also, I just don't quite get the double standard he's talking about... I haven't really seen anyone here praise the game for all the nice graphical touches, and how it's the best looking game ever, some people are saying it looks pretty cool, and it does.

Is it that I'm supposed to fault a game that plays awesome, but only looks decent, and praise any game that looks better, but plays like shit? I'm not quite sure what he's trying to get at, other than stirring shit up.

Pretty sure he meant that in most cases, if a game is "just decent looking" the majority of GAF would dislike it. GTA isn't exactly the prettiest of games, but people are still flinging around that it's amazing looking.

He just thinks that's silly, apparently.

Ashhong

Ten-Song said:

hes talking about how people dont nitpick GTA as much as other games. other games like assassins creed got murdered for the technical hiccups that i bet GTA has a lot in common with (framerate, glitches, etc). i hope rockstar proves me wrong with this though.

hell, a week before COD4 came out, people were examining pictures of wall textures. that kind of bullshit isnt as common with GTA games.

permutated said:
GTAIV is an ugly, ugly game.

Yes. because if it's not the best looking game on the market, then it's ugly.

Ashhong said:
hes talking about how people dont nitpick GTA as much as other games. other games like assassins creed got murdered for the technical hiccups that i bet GTA has a lot in common with (framerate, glitches, etc). i hope rockstar proves me wrong with this though.

hell, a week before COD4 came out, people were examining pictures of wall textures. that kind of bullshit isnt as common with GTA games.

Indeed. I'm still trying to figure out how that's a bad thing though.

Scotch

permutated said:
GTAIV is an ugly, ugly game. Somehow gamers have this double standard for GTA that doesn't apply to any other franchise. It doesn't matter if the game looks awful, has pop-in, frame-dips, or whatever, people won't complain about it because it's made by Rockstar, you can have sex with hookers and kill cops. Somehow that makes all the problems that people would normally point out in any other franchise magically go away?

On a technical level you may be right, but what makes up for it is its style and presentation. All the little details that make the cities in GTA games look alive. Graphics are not just about polygons and textures.

Lobster

Banned
Scotch said:
On a technical level you may be right, but what makes up for it is its style and presentation. All the little details that make the cities in GTA games look alive. Graphics are not just about polygons and textures.

You know what else makes up for it..

the largest seamless next-gen overworld.

dejay

Banned
I noticed in the last scene of that 360/IV advert when Niko is driving the stolen car away down the hill, the headlights illuminate a fair way in front of the car - a lot more so than I remember Saints Row doing.

GTA4 was never gonna impress with poly count and texture resolution etc.

Most games these days look so damn impressive due to the lighting, and GTA4 has incredible lightning.

Personally I think for what GTA4 is, I think it looks incredible.

Tr4nce

Hey Himuro, would it be a good idea to mention the special PS3/GTAIV bundle in the OP? I can imagine that not everyone knows about this yet. And it's a good offer.

cultofweaver said:
Maybe you can help in the WORLDWIDE APPEAL then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRb_aUvzPtU&eurl=

Just look at her face. It's a tragedy of unimaginable proportions. We're all thinking of you Fat Rab.

you see i would be glad to help...but the thing is when San Andreas came out, my second most anticipated game next to GTA IV, it broke my old PS2. The game must have been to much to handle. So i had to run out and buy a new ps2 from best buy, thank god they had one left.

So this time, im gonna be prepared!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tr4nce said:
Hey Himuro, would it be a good idea to mention the special PS3/GTAIV bundle in the OP? I can imagine that not everyone knows about this yet. And it's a good offer.

It's not official official yet. I'm guessing we'll get PR about it next week or something. Probably best to wait until then in case it turns out to have been an elaborate rumour.

Top Bottom