• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Giard

Son of Godzilla said:
I'd assume
Dwayne. I've got full Brucie done and Francis, his brother, X, and Dwayne giving me stuff. Brucie is just to unlock the racing missions, I'm pretty sure.

I posted the topic on GameFAQs as well and got told the other answer...can anyone confirm the right one?

First of all, I'm sorry because I'm sure this question has been asked in the thread but I couldn't find it and this thing is a minefield of spoilers: if you kill a date, do they ever resurrect? On the way to my second Michelle date, I nicked a cop causing her to flip out and the cop to give chase... until I bailed out on her at high speed and my car turned into her own personal flaming coffin of death. I know it's not important to the story to date her, but I like having my options open.

Also, I'll be up for some online play with anyone and everyone this weekend. My gamertag is Colt1086. Give me an add because none of my regular friends even have the game yet.

Umm, I stole a police car and killed the 10 most wanted who were listed in the car's PC, but I didn't get the achievement. Do I have to kill more than 10??

lil smoke

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I can't even come into this thread anymore. People are slinging around spoilers like it was nothing.
Be careful. I just skim for tidbits and try not to pay close attention.

So, we can't mod and paint cars?!?!?!
WTF?

Issun23

baphometbones said:
On the way to my second Michelle date, I nicked a cop causing her to flip out and the cop to give chase... until I bailed out on her at high speed and my car turned into her own personal flaming coffin of death.

And here I was, thinking that I was the one who messed up most during her dates. You sir are amazingly awesome. :lol

baphometbones said:
First of all, I'm sorry because I'm sure this question has been asked in the thread but I couldn't find it and this thing is a minefield of spoilers: if you kill a date, do they ever resurrect? On the way to my second Michelle date, I nicked a cop causing her to flip out and the cop to give chase... until I bailed out on her at high speed and my car turned into her own personal flaming coffin of death. I know it's not important to the story to date her, but I like having my options open.

This is really really really hard to answer without going into spoilers. Especially about Michelle.

Barrett2

Fuuuuck. I keep dying on the mission where you
help Playboy X kill the union / mob guys at the construction site. I keep dying doing stupid things, like accidentally throwing grenades against walls I am using for cover. :(

Normally this is the part in a GTA game where I would give up on missions; but this game's story is so great, I have to keep trying!

Sh0k

Anyone knows what it means when driving a car, I hear a couple of soft beeps from time to time ? I checked my phone after the beeps thinking it was a message, but there is nothing on the phone.

Issun23

Sh0k said:
Anyone knows what it means when driving a car, I hear a couple of soft beeps from time to time ? I checked my phone after the beeps thinking it was a message, but there is nothing on the phone.

It's the GPS. Some cars (if you leave the option toggled on default) have voice-enabled GPS.

voltron

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The soundtrack is terrible in this game. Doesn't even compare to the greatness of SA's soundtrack.

You, sir, have just failed.

There some fucking brilliant stuff on the soundtrack.... if you had said Vice City I may have agreed - but SA? No effing way.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
lil smoke said:
Be careful. I just skim for tidbits and try not to pay close attention.

So, we can't mod and paint cars?!?!?!
WTF?

Glad I'm not the only one blown by that omission. That was one of the things I loved about San Andreas. Some bullshit. Makes me long for the PC version even more...

Sh0k said:
Yeah I heard this too. I assumed it was maybe GPS re-routing or a glitch? I almost got trapped in the slovik clothing store when they wouldn't let me change hats or move for a few minutes.

voltron said:

There some fucking brilliant stuff on the soundtrack.... if you had said Vice City I may have agreed - but SA? No effing way.
You've just ruined the name "Voltron" for me with that comment. On top of that, you didn't even have the decency to capitalize it. Blasphemy...

You sir, double fail.

voltron

Has anyone else noticed a blue dot on the mini-map at all?

I noticed it while playing earlier so I hovered the cursor over it and it said it was a friend.... so I went and saw the friend and it was some coked up weirdo and he gave me 100 bux!

WTF!!! wtf was that all about - anyone know?

It's the GPS. Only the over-priced soccer mom cars with way too many dealer options have them. And it doesn't fucking work, which is so fucking ingenious it hurts. The voice will give wrong directions from time to time, and then occasional say "beep-boop" instead of the chime. This game is hands down the most painfully satirical thing on the planet. I'm fairly certain it can be demonstably proven.

voltron said:

I noticed it while playing earlier so I hovered the cursor over it and it said it was a friend.... so I went and saw the friend and it was some coked up weirdo and he gave me 100 bux!

There's a bunch, a bunch, of random people you can interact with throughout the city. They show up on the mini-map.

voltron

Dark Octave said:
You've just ruined the name "Voltron" for me with that comment. On top of that, you didn't even have the decency to capitalize it. Blasphemy...

You sir, double fail.

I was christened voltron - parents didnt capitalise it ..**shrugs**

voltron said:

Just a random ped, keep an eye out for them, some of them leading to quite good side missions.

There's only like 4 songs on the entire radio that I actively look for and enjoy. That's kind of a bummer. In San Andreas, I used to play the station that had on NWA and Ice Cube all the time. In LCS, I used to play Radio Del Mundo like, ALL THE F'IN TIME. Now I'm kinda hoping I hear Kanye West or that Russian pop song before turning the radio off. Ah well.

Great fuckin game though. I played Cops n Crooks for like 4 hours last night with a group of 5-8 people on my team. It just never got old. We're doin it again Friday night too. And probably for many fridays to come....

pj

Banned
voltron said:

you'll see him again, and stuff will happen

voltron said:

Your heeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaart is freeeeeeeeeee tonight. Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime is ooooooooooon your side. Don't let them put you down, don't let 'em push you around. Don't let them ever change your, point of view!

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The soundtrack is terrible in this game. Doesn't even compare to the greatness of SA's soundtrack.
False, it's way better than SA's. It's more balanced and full of great, fitting tracks.

Just because you've never heard of a song doesn't mean it's not good.

womfalcs3

Banned
Sorry if mentioned before, but where can I obtain weapons for free? Any spawn locations I should know about?

I was just arrested and I only have ~$1,800. I don't want to spend it.

Weenerz

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Sorry if mentioned before, but where can I obtain weapons for free? Any spawn locations I should know about?

I was just arrested and I only have ~1,800. I don't wan to spend it.

Judging from your money, you're still early in the game. You really don't need guns at that part, most can be done with melee attacks. I've gotten all my weapons from missions.

womfalcs3 said:

same thing happened to me right now. Looking to replace my pistol and shotgun easily but only have about 10,000

UncleGuito said:
False, it's way better than SA's. It's more balanced and full of great, fitting tracks.

Just because you've never heard of a song doesn't mean it's not good.

What difference does it make if I have or have not heard them? The point is me liking the music. :lol :lol

Beaulieu

womfalcs3 said:

There is a shotung in the staff room of the stripper bar on the island at the north. This is the only I know of yet :p

Little Jacob job question

I took the first job where i have to deliver a car full of good to a location. I get there with plenty of time but i dont see anyone on the map to give it to. Im right in the yellow dot, but it does point down like its below me. Any help. Thanks!

womfalcs3

Banned
Weenerz said:
Judging from your money, you're still early in the game. You really don't need guns at that part, most can be done with melee attacks. I've gotten all my weapons from missions.

I'm about 16% in. :lol

I've done missions where guns have been necessary.

I don't know why I haven't made a lot of money. The missions have been paying little and I've done one cab fare.

painey

despite there being so many tracks, it seems like theres very few. I've heard Nas about 20 times already, and the Reggae station is a joke.. all Marley..

Aurora

Munin said:
I so fucking hate these Chase guy X down missions, whether it's the first Dwayne mission or the first Brucie mission. I'm constantly slamming into random corners and other cars because I have to keep my eye on the road while simultaneously tracking my target on the radar. And if they are out of sight for 10 seconds, the mission's already failed. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to redo all the shit that came before the actual chase again when retrying a mission. The game is good but it's in these moments where it steps into familiar old horrible GTA3 mission design terrain again.
I completely agree. Terrible game design forcing us to have to do all the petty shit before the real deal.

I also find it shit that when I die I have to watch the whole death scene, and then wait for the loading which then brings me to a hospital, and then I can finally go to the menu and reload. It's a needless timesink. As soon as I die I should be able to hit start and reload.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What difference does it make if I have or have not heard them? The point is me liking the music. :lol :lol
If you don't like well over 90% of the music in this game, you have bad taste. It's okay, we all have our faults. Consider it a good thing you know yours.

baphometbones said:
i'm pretty sure you can't kill your date, no matter where you hook up with them from. i met with one of the chicks from online and she was pretty annoying so i blasted her point blank in the face with a shotgun like 12 times. it said she "got scared" and she left.

i called her a few days later and she wanted to go out again. :lol

giving my ps3 a break from this game before it breaks my ps3. So I was playing it and decided to turn it off. SO i hit Quite Game and it ended up showing my XMB Wallpaper but nothing else. I could hit the PS button and I had to quit system. Restarted the ps3 to only find out My hard drive needs to be rebuild. so I do. IDK. Not cool.

Son of Godzilla said:
If you don't like well over 90% of the music in this game, you have bad taste. It's okay, we all have our faults. Consider it a good thing you know yours.

Don't you have to go throw up to feel good or something like that?

Sylar

Banned
Aurora said:
I completely agree. Terrible game design forcing us to have to do all the petty shit before the real deal.

Terrible game design? It's always been like that in GTA. STFU and stop crying.

fivehorizons said:
Little Jacob job question

I took the first job where i have to deliver a car full of good to a location. I get there with plenty of time but i dont see anyone on the map to give it to. Im right in the yellow dot, but it does point down like its below me. Any help. Thanks!

For Little Jacob's jobs the person you are to meet is usually hiding in an alley or corner somewhere. They aren't on the main road, so you'll have to do a little searching but the marker always shows their exact location.

Beaulieu

painey said:
and the Reggae station is a joke.. all Marley..

Is this only accessible from Lil Jacob's car ? I cant seem to get this station in the other vehicles, which sucks, since Im a big marley fan !

Zedsdeadbaby said:
This is really really really hard to answer without going into spoilers. Especially about Michelle.

Damn, well thanks. That statement alone kind of answers my question. I guess I better keep her alive just in case.

bud

sa's soundtrack was awful--it was one of the reasons i didn't end up liking the game.

in terms of soundtracks, it's like vc > iii >>> sa, for me atleast.

Llyranor

I've heard there are 5 co-op missions, including hangman's noose. Has anyone played all of them? Would it be possible to get details on mission specifics, challenge/difficulty, diversity, replayability, length, etc? Also, to what extent are they customizable (number of players allowed, no respawns, etc)?

Thanks.

Top Bottom