• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

nofi said:
Couple of other ones:

Little Jacob
:
Gun dealer - you can call him and he'll arrange to meet you and sell you guns

Brucie
:
Access to car theft missions via the web

Afaik internet car theft is just part of the normal routine. Brucie giving you rides in his helicopter is not:p

painey

2455922327_760c6eb2a9_o.jpg

woooo! go me!

I spent ages swimming around looking for hidden Pigeons.. and I only found 2! :lol I have 5 in total now.. does anyone know if there are rewards like there were with hidden packages.. ie kill 20 pigeons and get a pistol at Romans safehouse?

Wow that shootout at the
construction site
was quite nice.
I liked the many ways you could start it, e.g. going up the skyscraper and shooting down the guards with your sniper rifle etc.

voltron

So would I be correct in assuming that some people dont dig the mo-cap? I find it nothing but a joy to watch. Ive been to the cabaret and seen stand-up on TV and its just brilliantly done. Cant wait to see my hero - Ricky Gervais:D

brent.jpg

Wollan

Going on a city rampage is frighteningly addictive and realistic. The firefights and explosions.. this is next gen. GTA4 is Heat finally realized in videogame form.

CoLaN

So, i upped 2 videos of GTA IV the 29 and the 30 on youtube. Now they are removed due to "copyright infringment".

The game is OUT. WTF is that? what the h....

Someone explain that to me, i don't understand

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
There is a website with maps of jumps, weapons, armour etc. on the in-game internet. It doesn't affect achievements either.
www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com

Oh my god that is fucking awesome. My appreciation for this game just jumped another 10%!
(loses 5% though for having to type that shit in on a keypad that is somehow even worse than the default 360 one)

voltron

Can someone tell me how long I have to wait until I open up the next part of the city? Im upto the mission where:

I just killed Faustin for Demitri and he backstabbed me at the warehouse. Ive had the shoot-out with him/lil Jacob and Niko's old acquaintance and Im about to go see Roman (had to turn it off).

Cheers.

watkinzez

voltron said:
Can someone tell me how long I have to wait until I open up the next part of the city? Im upto the mission where:

I just killed Faustin for Demitri and he backstabbed me at the warehouse. Ive had the shoot-out with him/lil Jacob and Niko's old acquaintance and Im about to go see Roman (had to turn it off).

Cheers.

Three missions Malerie (they'll appear real soon) and you're home.

Wollan

A mission I just played earlier, very powerful.
Slightly past the halfway point of the game I believe.
Roman... ... ... ... ...was taken hostage. How Niko keeps shouting while you clear out the storage, with Roman shouting upstairs.. it was pretty intense to put it mildly.
Kinda touching as well, again, very intense.

Brashnir

Jedeye Sniv said:
Oh my god that is fucking awesome. My appreciation for this game just jumped another 10%!
(loses 5% though for having to type that shit in on a keypad that is somehow even worse than the default 360 one)

get the 360 chat pad. totally worth it.

BeeDog

Oh my god, Brucie is probably the best GTA character ever (from what I can recall of the older games). He OWNS! (I see one of my friends in him, 'roids and all) :lol

voltron

watkinzez said:
Three missions Malerie (they'll appear real soon) and you're home.

tks.

Also when do the online dates start taking an interest? Ive tried to date all of them so far but I always negative responses.... I know most are from parts of the city I dont have access to yet but a couple were from the east island - and they still turned me down :(

I mean dont get me wrong - Michelle is meeting my needs just about every time we go out - but variety is the spice of life you know!

Issun23

I'm finally in Michelle's good books again and I had coffee with her now.

Did the Final Destination mission last night.
Lenny got in his car, tried to get away but I shot him in the head through the window. His head slammed on the steering wheel and the car horn went off.
Classic stuff.

voltron

Issun23 said:
I'm finally in Michelle's good books again and I had coffee with her now.

Did the Final Destination mission last night.
Lenny got in his car, tried to get away but I shot him in the head through the window. His head slammed on the steering wheel and the car horn went off.
Classic stuff.

I love that. I find myself walking around the streets just doing that.... once I start I just cant stop. Also shooting peds in the leg and watching them fall over and stumble back up only to do it again just NEVER EVER gets old.

voltron said:
tks.

Also when do the online dates start taking an interest? Ive tried to date all of them so far but I always negative responses.... I know most are from parts of the city I dont have access to yet but a couple were from the east island - and they still turned me down :(

The hispanic chick that refers to herself in the third person and the lawyer are the only two I've gotten to date. If you mean just in general, I don't think it's possible to date any of them before the 2nd or 3rd Brucie mission. You'll know which one.

Okay, so. I've determined that, given a sports car and anywhere in Algonquin, it's incredibly easy to shake 3 stars. Given anything else, it's impossible. You don't even have to use a spray and pant, you can just fucking outrun the pigs.

Oh, and I now love driving in this game.

Munin

I so fucking hate these Chase guy X down missions, whether it's the first Dwayne mission or the first Brucie mission. I'm constantly slamming into random corners and other cars because I have to keep my eye on the road while simultaneously tracking my target on the radar. And if they are out of sight for 10 seconds, the mission's already failed. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to redo all the shit that came before the actual chase again when retrying a mission. The game is good but it's in these moments where it steps into familiar old horrible GTA3 mission design terrain again.

Just finished it. My heart was pumping so fast.

Such an awesome game. Not really rushing, just doing the main story missions, enjoying the story, it took
Hours.
minutes

Such an awesome game, it gets a 10 in my book.

Munin said:
I so fucking hate these Chase guy X down missions, whether it's the first Dwayne mission or the first Brucie mission. I'm constantly slamming into random corners and other cars because I have to keep my eye on the road while simultaneously tracking my target on the radar. And if they are out of sight for 10 seconds, the mission's already failed. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to redo all the shit that came before the actual chase again when retrying a mission. The game is good but it's in these moments where it steps into familiar old horrible GTA3 mission design terrain again.
Really? I've found the game to be *incredibly* forgiving with how far out of los it lets targets wander. Like on the one Faustin mission
where you chase after the bike gang. I completely missed a turn, wiped out, and went flying clear across the fucking highway, then got back up, jumped over a fence, jacked a car, and continued the chase. No problems.
I'm constantly surprised by how much leeway the game gives you. Guess I'm just used to stuff forcing a hardline. The no mission checkpoints does suck though, especially considering most missions break up into checkpoints so easily.

Yesterday I actively started looking for pigeons. I found 8 after about an 1 hour and a half of searching! At that rate it would take me 37 hours of solid pigeon hunting to find them all and thats not taking into account that the fewer there are to find the longer it will take to find each one.

My pigeon hunting days are over, which is a good thing because I can focus on the much cooler parts of the game. I just hope I'm not going to miss out on something incredible.

Loving this game so far. Gotta say that some of the missions are badass, but the over-long ones need a goddamn chackpoint. Seriously, there are a few combat missions that are just plain BRUTAL!

Favorite moments include chasing a guy down knocking him into another car, and watching him fly through the windshield. There is also the time when I had to (spoiler of Manny or Francis)
take out a bunch of gangbangers in a garage. I was having trouble because if I stayed to kill the guys on foot, the guys in the car would escape, and if I chased the guys, one of the guys on foot would escape. So, I drove a flaming SUV into the garage, taking out their car and about half of them in the explosion.
Good times.

Currently I am stuck (Late Packie)
at the bank heist. HOLY shit this one is brutal. I FINALLY (after like three tries) made it through the Subway, with a sliver of life, just to get gunned down by the cops up the stairs. HOW THE FUCK do I beat this one?

Son of Godzilla said:
Really? I've found the game to be *incredibly* forgiving with how far out of los it lets targets wander. Like on the one Faustin mission
where you chase after the bike gang. I completely missed a turn, wiped out, and went flying clear across the fucking highway, then got back up, jumped over a fence, jacked a car, and continued the chase. No problems.
I'm constantly surprised by how much leeway the game gives you. Guess I'm just used to stuff forcing a hardline. The no mission checkpoints does suck though, especially considering most missions break up into checkpoints so easily.

I'll agree with you about that mission I did the same, but it seems to be the later missions of 'Follow X' don't give you that much leeway. And they can get annoying.

bishopcruz said:
Currently I am stuck (Late Packie)
at the bank heist. HOLY shit this one is brutal. I FINALLY (after like three tries) made it through the Subway, with a sliver of life, just to get gunned down by the cops up the stairs. HOW THE FUCK do I beat this one?

I said fuck it and turned around and carried on up the tunnels, worked very well indeed. When I was out of the police alert radius I went up the next station and hailed a cab to take us back to Packie's place.

SmokinGunZ1981 said:
I'll agree with you about that mission I did the same, but it seems to be the later missions of 'Follow X' don't give you that much leeway. And they can get annoying.

It seems almost random some times. Sometimes on the same mission where i have lost it after a few seconds being wiped out, other times I could mess up constantly and still be ok. As annoying as those are though, there ixs little mroe satisfying than comlpleting a long had chase and capping the target.

painey

just had another holy shit bit.. driving back to my safehouse with a massively damaged police car, i just wanted to park it outside my crib so it would be there if i needed it again when I smash into this Jeep and I hear "fuck, .. and i just found a vein!" I laughed, but I see the two guys get out of the car and they have guns.. I try to drive off but the car is so damaged the engine wont start! Niko is trying and its not turning over and Niko says "fucking START!" and the guys start shooting me through my windshield.. i jump out, baseball bat one of the guys to the floor and steal the Jeep and drive off to escape my wanted level.

Barrett2

painey said:
just had another holy shit bit.. driving back to my safehouse with a massively damaged police car, i just wanted to park it outside my crib so it would be there if i needed it again when I smash into this Jeep and I hear "fuck, .. and i just found a vein!" I laughed, but I see the two guys get out of the car and they have guns.. I try to drive off but the car is so damaged the engine wont start! Niko is trying and its not turning over and Niko says "fucking START!" and the guys start shooting me through my windshield.. i jump out, baseball bat one of the guys to the floor and steal the Jeep and drive off to escape my wanted level.

:lol :lol That's awesome. Yesterday I had my first experience with a damaged car not starting. It was mid-mission, and I pulled into an alleyway trying to ditch the cops. The car wouldn't start, I started panicking, and had to clear the police search area on foot, hiding behind a tree at one point! This game is blowing my mind.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
SomethingAwful article: Grand Theft Auto IV, and how it is the next-generation in Asshole Physics. (you guys should know all about Asshole Physics)

In Liberty City the roads are not only paved with gold, but a layer of butter has also been liberally applied and Japanese men were lined up along the sidewalk and ordered to bukkake into the street. Steering is an exercise in frustration as you must now slow to a crawl in order to navigate turns. Hitting a light pole, other cars, or oxygen molecules at even the slowest of speeds will send you spinning wildly into trees that fade into existence right before your eyes.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I can't even come into this thread anymore. People are slinging around spoilers like it was nothing.

Giard

So uh...who between these two gives out main story quests?
Dwayne or Brucie
? Those are the two guys I can get missions from it seems.

Klaxon said:
One Man Army
Survive 5 minutes on 6 star wanted level.

That's easy, simply get a helicopter (south east end of middle island, the big one) and fly to the last island if you haven't gotten that far story-wise. 6 stars will kick in but they can't get you because you're in the air. I got that achievement by accident.

mxz

OMG at the
Bank Heist mission. This shit is straight outta Heat. After about 4 tries, I finally did it, came out of the subway, couldn't find a car straight away so ran like hell, stole a cab, which I had to bail as it was shot up badly going over the bridge and then got lucky to get another car. Ended up driving in the spray shop with 2 good wheels and about 3% of health. FUCK THIS MISSION WAS AWESOME!

Giard said:
So uh...who between these two gives out main story quests?
Dwayne or Brucie
? Those are the two guys I can get missions from it seems.
I'd assume
Dwayne. I've got full Brucie done and Francis, his brother, X, and Dwayne giving me stuff. Brucie is just to unlock the racing missions, I'm pretty sure.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does anyone know the name of the song that's playing when Niko is getting off the boat in the beginning of the game? The lyrics sound like they're in German. I searched this thread without any luck.

Top Bottom