• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Aladuf

Banned
flunkie4455 said:
I had the greatest time with Aladuf and uber_paddler tonight in straight-up Deathmatch. There was a point in which Uber ran into my car and smashed the front in so bad that one wheel was locked up and skidding the whole time. The vehicle deformation is craaaazy good.

Yeah that was fun as hell, I was loving the time when me and him were having that gun fight from both sides of a street and then when he crossed you came out of nowhere to completely flatten him with a car. Good times.

mxz

I noticed a weird icon on the map one time, went to it, it was some guy standing on a corner. The icon was like a thin pin, nothing like all other icons. I approached the dude and it triggered a cutscene with this weird rich dude (appeared high or smth) talked some shit and gave me 100$ for nothing. Weird. What was that?

Question: How high does the respect/like ranking should be for characters in order for you to be able to use their special abilities or offers? I actually find Roman's free cab extremely useful if I can't be bothered to drive from one spot to another. Plus the cab driver is hilarious.

I was originally going to accept the the game doesn't deserve a 10 talk, but man.. there is just no way this game can receive anything other than a 10 in the graphics department.

The way Rockstar nailed down to the tiniest of details certain areas or neighborhoods I've actually been to is simply amazing.

The first time I beat the ps3 version I was thoroughly impressed with the game visually, (playing 360 version now) but overtime I began to scrutinize all the things people were pointing out even harder than I ever did prior and was going to come to the conclusion the game is no 10 in the visuals department.

Then again.. that is until I get to the later parts in the game and I'm reminded about just how visually stunning different areas in this game can get. If people don't like the sight the aliasing that does exist in the game then there will also be plenty of times throughout the game where it will actually look like it has far more AA than it really does and moments where the lighting and scenery is such a perfect combination that you will totally forgive and even agree with the labeling of the game as a 10 in the graphics department.

Another thing I can point out with the 360 version is that as the game is proceeding and I'm getting further on, the performance seems to consistently be at the highest end of the clip which I didn't think that was the case earlier. Sure I had no major issues with the performance early in the game, but for whatever reason, I feel pretty confident in saying the 360 version is definitely hitting 32-35 fps consistently if not better. I definitely didn't feel that was the case earlier though. I would say earlier on in the game it was more like 24-28 for a good majority of the time and then it would hit 30 in some situations.

What a totally kickass game I'm having so much fun with it still.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
:lol @
Manny and his camera man getting shot in the head by the woman on cocaine

This might be the funniest game in the series, although it looks like I'm already getting repeat performances at the caberet. :-\

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I need help with a mission (minor spoilers from about ~20-25% completion):

I'm on the mission where I have to go to the strip club from Dwayne and kill the three managers. I must have retried it like 7 times now. My strategy so far has been to go into the first guy's office and melee him to alert no one's attention.

but after that... I don't have a good plan. I locate the 2nd and third guy, then go into the back and take out the third guy's door guard and the guy himself. The gunshots alert the whole club's attention and bring like 5000 guards in.

Is there a better way to do this? It seems like my method of just "brute forcing" the guy in the back might not be right, because half the time after I kill his guard he blasts me in the face with a shotgun before I even have a chance to retarget him...

Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: Completely unrelated Q: What happens to all the multiplayer money you earn? Can you do anything with it, or is it just like a "score"?

After putting in a real heavy duty session today I can say my opinion of the game has only improved. The story is kind of differently paced than I expected and I like that. And for the first time ever in a GTA game, combat missions are actually fun for me. I haven't run into a mission, I've truly detested yet, which is surprising for a GTA game. I'm personally mixed on the multiplayer but the single player is darn good stuff. It's subtle but it really does feel quite different than the other GTA's which is also refreshing.

Mooreberg

GDJustin said:

I'm on the mission where I have to go to the strip club from Dwayne and kill the three managers. I must have retried it like 7 times now. My strategy so far has been to go into the first guy's office and melee him to alert no one's attention.

but after that... I don't have a good plan. I locate the 2nd and third guy, then go into the back and take out the third guy's door guard and the guy himself. The gunshots alert the whole club's attention and bring like 5000 guards in.

Is there a better way to do this? It seems like my method of just "brute forcing" the guy in the back might not be right, because half the time after I kill his guard he blasts me in the face with a shotgun before I even have a chance to retarget him...

Edit: Completely unrelated Q: What happens to all the multiplayer money you earn? Can you do anything with it, or is it just like a "score"?

I tried knifing the first manager to avoid mayhem but it seemed to happen anyway. Just use the cover system to gun down everyone going at you in the club, and when you get to the back they will just be leaving in a car and you can chase them.

There is another mission later on where not firing a gun actually worked better for me but I don't think you're there yet.

Atomspike

i'm 16% in and completely ignoring Michelle at the moment , is there a story development with real implications with her or it's just those lame "take me for a date" missions

Mooreberg

Atomspike said:
i'm 16% in and completely ignoring Michelle at the moment , is there a story development with real implications with her or it's just those lame "take me for a date" missions

There is but I don't know if it has anything to do with going on dates... I'm guessing it doesn't. I had 100% before it happened.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Atomspike said:
She's merely just a friend. Whether you choose to date her or ignore her shouldn't matter.

Dina

GDJustin said:

Here's what I did. Park a car outside, near the alleyway to the right of the building. Go in the club. Nade the manager in the moneycounting-room. Sprint outside, hop in the car, drive through the alleyway to the back of the club.

The two other managers should be driving off now. Chase them and hose them down with your smg, or block/ram them and do your thing.

Nutter

Could use some help, in fact any sort of help.

First off, Can we skip missions?

I am stuck on the Manny mission where he has us chasing the damn train (peurto ricon connection or some shit like that), I cannot finish that no matter how hard i try. So i ask can i skip this mission?, I have no one else on my map giving me missions. I just did the photo shoot mission for Playboy X.

mxz

GDJustin said:

Take the first down with the bat. Shotgun is your friend with one of the others. Once you've shot one of the others, the third one will flee the club. Run outside, chase him down and deal with him whichever nasty way you prefer.

Alex

I about lost it when that stem cell news skit came up on the radio, to the point that I slammed into a barrier at full speed, flew through my windshield and was hit by an oncoming garbage truck in opposite lanes. I had no health and was following my GPS to the Restaurant by the safehouse :(

The humor is the best it's been since GTA III, if not better, not to say VC and SA were not funny, they were but it kinda was missing a certain magic.

Cdammen

Atomspike said:
I continue going out on dates with her because of the small talk in the car on the way. I love getting little tid-bits of story on her friend Michelle, her and on Niko (although he's really reluctant to speak about it).

(EDIT) Went out with Jacob and :lol @ him throwing pot outside the window when we got chased by cops!

Nutter said:
Could use some help, in fact any sort of help.

First off, Can we skip missions?

I am stuck on the Manny mission where he has us chasing the damn train (peurto ricon connection or some shit like that), I cannot finish that no matter how hard i try. So i ask can i skip this mission?, I have no one else on my map giving me missions. I just did the photo shoot mission for Playboy X.

Keeping up with the train doesn't require much speed, you just need to follow the tracks and avoid one dead end near the conclusion. Once they get out of the train they head to a car and you should easily get them before they reach that.

Alex

Early on, there ain't much you can buy. Guns are the next thing I think, those are very expensive. well, for what you have at the time being.

:lol

That Katt William's bit about "Hustlin'" was genuinely fucking hilarious. Brilliant animation.

I was actually dying laughing in real life. That's how good they MoCapped that shit.

Michelle, naturally, hated it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Missions are getting REALLY good now, and I know I still have a ton left in the game. The mission inspired by a particular film,
The French Connection
, was badass. Wonder how many people are gonna get the reference ;b

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got the achievement for that yesterday. Some of the time based ones are annoying because the drop off spot is hidden pretty well, but overall they were fun.

I need to start doing more story stuff, I keep doing side missions and useless stuff like web browsing.

Game's attention to detail is amazing: yesterday I was driving around one of those Burger Shoots, and what did I spot in the back parking? Two burger flippers smoking on the parking lot, on their break :lol it's unreal

Zyzyxxz

goddamn I wanna play but I should be studying!

The Brucie character is freaking hilarious! Such the stereotype of a douchebag type guy!

This weekend I swear I will put in at least 10 hours.

anybody brought up the fact that the radio many times starts on THE SAME FUCKING PART? I've heard this shit loop so many times, it seems to start from the same place alot of times, like the station is waiting for you to turn it on. It's dissapointing they did nothing to improve on the radio. Game is awsome tho , just wanted to point it out.

Zyzyxxz

is there a reward for completing all vigilante missions?

I'm currently working my way thru the list but I dont wanna do em if they dont unlock anything

Nutter

Francias Castiglione said:
Keeping up with the train doesn't require much speed, you just need to follow the tracks and avoid one dead end near the conclusion. Once they get out of the train they head to a car and you should easily get them before they reach that.
So i am guessing we cant skip this mission then?

And yes i know about that dead end towards the end, and it ruined my good run for this mission. :( Also Killing anyone hasnt been a problem for me so far, just this chasing crap is getting to me, since it seems like almost everyone has their fair share of chasing missions. sigh.

VindicatorZ said:
anybody brought up the fact that the radio many times starts on THE SAME FUCKING PART? I've heard this shit loop so many times, it seems to start from the same place alot of times, like the station is waiting for you to turn it on. It's dissapointing they did nothing to improve on the radio. Game is awsome tho , just wanted to point it out.

Yeah, I kept tuning into Beats102.7 and hoping it's the Kayne West Flashlights song but it always ends/ starts up as the swizz beats song.

Kittonwy

Banned
I didn't play the game yesterday night because I had some work to do, just now that stupid GTAIV metal lock box fell off the my shelf and hit me in the head, must be a sign
not to put a fucking metal lock box on the shelf
Indifferent2.gif

Zyzyxxz said:
is there a reward for completing all vigilante missions?

I'm currently working my way thru the list but I dont wanna do em if they dont unlock anything
I haven't noticed anything different after finishing the most wanted list.

PS: Fernando is a dick.

Loudninja

EviLore said:
Missions are getting REALLY good now, and I know I still have a ton left in the game. The mission inspired by a particular film,
The French Connection
, was badass. Wonder how many people are gonna get the reference ;b

So you got yours working? :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Loudninja said:
So you got yours working? :D

After I set my ps3 to force 720p mode, somehow it's been much more stable. It crashed once after 4+ hours and hasn't happened again yet, instead of every 15 minutes like before. Good enough to play through the game.

Loudninja

Son of Godzilla said:
Anyone know a location of a vest drop? I am in dire need of one.

Buy one.

Edit: sorry I dont know,but your best bet is to buy one.

After I set my ps3 to force 720p mode, somehow it's been much more stable. It crashed once after 4+ hours and hasn't happened again yet, instead of every 15 minutes like before. Good enough to play through the game.

Well thats good dude! :)

How does the internet dating thing work? Does your clothing and general appearance play a role in that?

Going out with people like Roman and Brucie (love that guy:lol ) gives you certain perks. Do I have to be keeping going out for any more options to be opened up? Does going out with the rastaman have any advantages btw?

Barrett2

Zyzyxxz said:
goddamn I wanna play but I should be studying!

The Brucie character is freaking hilarious! Such the stereotype of a douchebag type guy!

This weekend I swear I will put in at least 10 hours.

Same here. I have final exams next week, but I am so addicted to this game, I seriously played all day yesterday. I am going to have to take drastic steps, like asking my wife to bring the game to work with her.... I don't know if I have the will power to not play :(

Son of Godzilla said:
Anyone know a location of a vest drop? I am in dire need of one.

There is a website with maps of jumps, weapons, armour etc. on the in-game internet. It doesn't affect achievements either.
www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com

Atomspike

I love how Rockstar made Vlad character so annoying and obnoxious , so you hate him with passion then
gives you the ultimate satisfaction by killing him execution style.
sick fucks.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
PjotrStroganov said:
How does the internet dating thing work? Does your clothing and general appearance play a role in that?

Going out with people like Roman and Brucie (love that guy:lol ) gives you certain perks. Do I have to be keeping going out for any more options to be opened up? Does going out with the rastaman have any advantages btw?
Can't be arsed with internet dating right now, but afaik, anyone you can call and select 'job' for will unlock some special ability once you've got them to a certain friendship level. Usually means doing about 5-10 jobs for them and taking them out on the razz a couple of times.

However, once you have that ability (like Roman's cab service), I don't know if you have to keep going out with them to maintain it or if you can just neglect them. They seem to bother you less frequently if you're already good mates with them though...

nofi

B-Genius said:
However, once you have that ability (like Roman's cab service), I don't know if you have to keep going out with them to maintain it or if you can just neglect them. They seem to bother you less frequently if you're already good mates with them though...

Couple of other ones:

Little Jacob
:
Gun dealer - you can call him and he'll arrange to meet you and sell you guns

Brucie
:
Access to car theft missions via the web

Yasser

Atomspike said:
I love how Rockstar made Vlad character so annoying and obnoxious , so you hate him with passion then
gives you the ultimate satisfaction by killing him execution style.
sick fucks.
i loved the insults they threw at each other. "for an annoying dick, you're an annoying dick!"

Top Bottom