• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Beaulieu

Felix Lighter said:
For Little Jacob's jobs the person you are to meet is usually hiding in an alley or corner somewhere. They aren't on the main road, so you'll have to do a little searching but the marker always shows their exact location.

Dude... look under the bridge lol.

Sylar

Banned
Aurora said:
Ah, so repeated use of shit game mechanics justifies it. My mistake.

It's not shit if you don't like it. What are you expecting? For it to tell you the entire route of the car? That's not realistic in the slightest.

Question

where can I store my cars?

after I got
Playboy x
crib, where can I store my cool cars that I steal?

I hate not being able to use the cool cars I jack.

Aurora said:
I completely agree. Terrible game design forcing us to have to do all the petty shit before the real deal.

I also find it shit that when I die I have to watch the whole death scene, and then wait for the loading which then brings me to a hospital, and then I can finally go to the menu and reload. It's a needless timesink. As soon as I die I should be able to hit start and reload.

This is my biggest complaint with the game.

Chasing a car is tedious. Trailing behind a car for 3 minutes and not getting close enough to be seen, then dying in a battle and having to do it again? That's even worse.

There's lots of little things that work me up in the game, but it can't take away from just how amazing it is. I hope it's something they address in a patch, rather than sticking to the Burnout Paradise "we're right, you're fucking stupid" mentality. Just let me retry a mission when I die, not wait till I spawn and then have to respond to a text.

Issun23

robertsan21 said:
Question

where can I store my cars?

after I got
Playboy x
crib, where can I store my cool cars that I steal?

I hate not being able to use the cool cars I jack.

Parking space in front of safe houses.

Weenerz

Banned
I love this game, the other GTA games, I never really played much, story wise. I'd do a few missions and then just drive around and kill people. I'm about 25-30% complete (haven't checked) and I'm really digging the story.

funkmastergeneral said:
So is it just me or is it hard to get Little Jacob to like you? We've hung out 3 times and I've run all his missions (100%) and he only likes me 63% :(

did you take him to places a druggy would go? i mean all they do is smoke and eat anyways :lol

ckohler

This is the first GTA game I've actually played (can you believe it?!). I'm loving it. I only started playing yesterday so I'm going to be stuck in Brooker for a while.

However, last night my friend and I played for four hours in Free Roam multiplayer and explored the entire city. Oh my... so wonderful. It's better than Crackdown.

DMPrince said:
did you take him to places a druggy would go? i mean all they do is smoke and eat anyways :lol

oh shit I didn't even think about that...I've gone to the bar and played darts with him. Better take him to the restaurant next.

Artadius

I havn't gotten hardly anywhere yet in single player thanks to the awesomeness that is multiplayer Cops & Crooks on XBOX Live.

I've been playing nightly with a small handful of friends in this mode... but we'd like to bring in some more regulars. Anyone GAF'ers want some private C&C goodness every night around 9 or 10 pm CST? Please PM me and I'll add you to my friends list (GT: Artadius). Please be someone willing to play as a teammate and not a lone wolf douchebag. Also, willing to communicate via headset a big plus.

We're sick of opening up the games to random people because the vast majority of them are usually no-communicating lone-wolfing "I'd rather be deathmatching and tea-bagging" type of crowd. Yeah, XBOXLive I know.

Dabanton

painey said:
despite there being so many tracks, it seems like theres very few. I've heard Nas about 20 times already, and the Reggae station is a joke.. all Marley..

Erm that's why it's called Tuff Gong...

My favorite station though is 'The Journey'

MMaRsu

You know what? Radio Broker is also a very good station, lots of cool music on that one!

now...off to play again hahah

jowa

Played the game for 10 hours so far and I haven't noticed any significant framedrop which others seem to be complaining about - could this be because I'm using an SD TV?

the game is awesome btw.

f3niks

NaughtyCalibur said:
Snow Storm spoiler...

I knew that Michelle bitch was a lying whore the moment she opened her mouth. It was too obvious. She's the worst undercover agent ever. All she ever talked about was Niko's involvement with criminals and crime in general, and when I was late for the first date she immediately jumped the gun and flat out asked if I was involved with "bad men."

Niko's too trusting. I would have whacked her ass after the first date. No questions.

I've had my suspicions since the first "warm coffee" moment with her. Now the question is: If you pop her on a date, will that reflect in the story? I only say that because she's mentioned constantly in cut scenes.

jmadler

Neo Member
Does anyone else find it impossible to read the cell phone. Its way too dark for me, i have brightness and contrast maxed out and i still have to stand about a foot away from my 55" dlp to make out the words in the text messages.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jmadler said:
Does anyone else find it impossible to read the cell phone. Its way too dark for me, i have brightness and contrast maxed out and i still have to stand about a foot away from my 55" dlp to make out the words in the text messages.

maybe someday you get nice phone like Roman, then you really make it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Himuro said:
I don't understand the hate against the radio in this iteration. I like EVERY. SINGLE. STATION. except LCHC or whatever the fuck. You have to have REALLY narrow tastes in music preference to not like this game's radio.

Hahah, I turned the music in the audio options down to ZERO.

So fucking annoying. Can't hear shit when the fucking thing is playing. Already have a shit ton of other audio sources. Good riddance. What they should have done was given me the ability to listen to my own fucking music via some sort of mp3 player that my phone should have.

There are some radio stations I like, but for the most part, it's a pain in the ass. I always get in a car and turn off the radio first thing, so I just shut it down completely.

Got mine in the mail yesterday, played this thing all day, went out to dinner with GF and friends, came back and played while sleeping. I'd be playing the game and all of a sudden I'd hear a bang that will wake me up and I'm driving into a wall. This happened at least seven times last night. I simply could not rip myself away. Now I'm at work thinking about the game all day and looking at the clock.

Dina

21 hours in, 51%. It feels like I'm nearing the end though, I'm guessing only 10 missions more or so. To get 100%, you probably need to do every sidemission Jakob, Brucie and whoever else throw at you.

In related news, Jimmy Pelegrino's first mission blows hard. Anyone know a surefire way to save Jimmy before he dies? And not die yourself running through 15 mobsters with machineguns?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Himuro said:
I always turn the sound option almost completely down in GTA's. The fucking outside noise means it's harder to hear the radio.

I find I prefer to hear the banter of the street or the person in my car more than the radio. I loved the radio in the first game too. Absolutely loved it since it was so off the wall. The two following games were ok too.

ShinAmano

Dr_Cogent said:
Hahah, I turned the music in the audio options down to ZERO.

So fucking annoying. Can't hear shit when the fucking thing is playing. Already have a shit ton of other audio sources. Good riddance. What they should have done was given me the ability to listen to my own fucking music via some sort of mp3 player that my phone should have.

There are some radio stations I like, but for the most part, it's a pain in the ass. I always get in a car and turn off the radio first thing, so I just shut it down completely.
I am assuming you are a PS3 player? I have yet to try with the 360, but I would assume that you can listen to anything you want on it. That said i turned down the music and sound effects and turned on the subtitles becasue you cant hear what is going on with the default settings.

Madman

Himuro said:
I don't understand the hate against the radio in this iteration. I like EVERY. SINGLE. STATION. except LCHC or whatever the fuck. You have to have REALLY narrow tastes in music preference to not like this game's radio.
I have found the radio is good, but a step down from SA and VC. I am not a fan of any of the stations. I like mainly hard rock and heavy metal, and only the hardcore station comes close to my musical tastes, and even then I really don't like hardcore. The commercials and talk radio are funny though.
Himuro said:
Well, honestly, I have no problem with all the outside noise. My problem has ALWAYS been the car engine. Goddamit. When I'm on a motorcycle I can barely hear the radio at all.

I wish there were an "Car engine" sound node, because I'd turn that shit to 25%
That I agree with. I've had to turn up the radio to try to drown out the engine.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ShinAmano said:
I am assuming you are a PS3 player? I have yet to try with the 360, but I would assume that you can listen to anything you want on it. That said i turned down the music and sound effects and turned on the subtitles becasue you cant hear what is going on with the default settings.

PS3 yes.

xabre

Banned
Who else had to put on the subtitles for Little Jacob? I could hardly understand a word he was saying most of the time. Mind you, the subtitles are nearly equally as hard to understand.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Then that is lame R* did not include the option on that side. I actually was planning on creating a playlist just for GTA...

If there is a way to do it, I do not know of it and I've looked.

Jeff-DSA

xabre said:
Who else had to put on the subtitles for Little Jacob? I could hardly understand a word he was saying most of the time. Mind you, the subtitles are nearly equally as hard to understand.

If I didn't spend a year studying Caribbean literature and film, I would have been clueless. I can't believe how well they nailed his slang and dialect. Things like saying "lickle" instead of "little" is awesomely genuine.

xabre

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
If I didn't spend a year studying Caribbean literature and film, I would have been clueless. I can't believe how well they nailed his slang and dialect. Things like saying "lickle" instead of "little" is awesomely genuine.

I'm sure. Some amazing voice work in the game all round. I'm usually pretty good with accents but this heavy Jamaican stuff is tough if you aren't used to it. The only thing I figured out is that 'ting' means 'thing'. I think.

Anyone else notice the radio interference when you get an incoming call/message on your cell while driving a car and the radio's on? Jesus. That's detail. :D

voltron

Stoney Mason said:
Yes indeed.

uh-huh... JNR and FusionFM. Both brilliant.

And to whoever was talking about getting Jacob to like you... maybe try The Burger Shot or CluckinBell ;) I dont know for sure but that always satisfies me when I have the munchies.

yea I have a big complaint with the music in the game. It just most often ends up being some crap I don't like, and I tend to like everything. They really tried to pick obscure shit and a severe lack of famous songs. Of course there's a couple, but the soundtrack is just missing something. The choices for stations seem limited, and I've heard the same loops over and over. I've stated it before, but it seems like the station is waiting for you to turn it on, put on Massive B Dancehall, it always starts with the guy saying the same thing.

love the jazz btw

_dd_

VindicatorZ said:
yea I have a big complaint with the music in the game. It just most often ends up being some crap I don't like, and I tend to like everything. They really tried to pick obscure shit and a severe lack of famous songs. Of course there's a couple, but the soundtrack is just missing something. The choices for stations seem limited, and I've heard the same loops over and over. I've stated it before, but it seems like the station is waiting for you to turn it on, put on Massive B Dancehall, it always starts with the guy saying the same thing.

love the jazz btw

Ugggh, I hate that. I'll leave my car during a commercial, come back in the car and it'll finish the commecial... almost like it's on pause. I wish the radio stations would keep playing even when I'm not listening to them.

Coverly

Does anyone with subtitles turned off really understand little jacob? :lol

It's really funny to hear him talk for two minutes and wondering if you missed out on any important information. The only reason I knew what to do was because after he stopped talking, the game told me what to do("Wait in the Alley "), etc.. Lots of fun though.

I also went to a burger joint with Niko's cousin and wtf, the bill was $100! How can you rack up a hundred bucks in a local burger joint!?

Top Bottom