• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

chubigans said:
Here's what I think, and I'm on the second island right now so I have a pretty good feel for it.

As a next-gen entry from the most popular multiplatform franchise ever, it deserved a ten. I think there are some faults with the game, some having to do with the new hardware and networking that Rockstar is new at, but it's a fantastic game.

I don't think the next entries will receive tens though. GTA is a bit in danger of losing it's luster if it continues to use the same skeleton structure...having multiple options on who you want to work for and driving to their pad was an amazing thing in GTAIII, but not any longer.

They need to rework the structure of the game. It simply cant continue the way it is now without risking franchise exhaustion. The GTA MMO that's been rumored might help, but I think RS needs to seriously concentrate on a whole new experience that was found in GTAIII.

Not really. They can do the exact same thing with a new setting and set of characters and that's all they'd need to do, so long as it retains this level of quality.

If you change the formula too much, you're going to lose so much of what forces you to become invested in the characters and narrative. If a whole mission string just sits there without anything forcing you towards it's going to get in the way of telling a story.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i hope GTA 5 is based around an undercover cop - so it just adds even more layers on top

so you have investigation elements

times when you're actually not undercover - ultimate goal making the city good, but you have to do bad things first to make it that way

maybe switch it around and make the police department corrupt or something so you're working your way to the top?

hmmm

Beaulieu

Second said:
I have the Ps3 version since saturday. 31:33 hours clocked as in today.

30 hours is long. It just that San Andreas singleplayer took me longer to finish. And I also like San Andreas Map more. I miss the countrysides.

Have you done every side missions ? or none ?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A few things...

-I just went to the Stripclub with Roman for the first time. Wow just wow. Some 14 year old with oblivious parents is going to love this game.

-Chasing some punk down subway stairs whilst reloading my shotgun = so fucking awesome. The whole mixing the stairs animation with reloading just looks so cool.

-The visuals have grown on me and I'm completely used to driving. Motorcycles are still awkward though

-Love the Cellphone system, makes the setting of the game feel modern

-The Journey (Radio Station) = Best radio station in all of GTA for me. The DJ is an robotic female voice, so fucking awesome. Song selection for this station fucking rules too.

-Going full throttle over a bridge with the skyline cityscape becoming larger and larger = wow

Hunter D

LJ11 said:
The first bike chase scene is killing me, any tips?
Follow them into the park and use the trees for cover.

Pistol is better than the smgs imo. They do more damage and are easier to get headshots with.

Is there a way to aim freely with a gun while walking around? I've only been able to auto-target people so far when they're in range- is there a way to snap out of autoaim once locked on or something?

Tr4nce

Apparently R* has sent some game press, in this case Kikizo, a gift. Fucking awesome.

01.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
UncleGuito said:
Is there a way to aim freely with a gun while walking around? I've only been able to auto-target people so far when they're in range- is there a way to snap out of autoaim once locked on or something?

half press the trigger

Loudninja

UncleGuito said:

Take off auto aim >_>

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
hanging out in roman's apartment right now, jammin to '1979' :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Dina said:
Explain the mission please. I remember the name but not the contents.

How did you do Jimmy Pelegrino's first mission where you protect him and his two chumps from a Sagano deal gone bad? I snipe the first five guys, but after that I gotta hose through 15 mobsters trying to save Jimmy from bleeding to death. Either I do or he dies.
Snipe the guys, then the backup, run down, use the assault rifle on the rest, run down the right, cut into Jimmy, and then do the rest of the mission.

Majmun

Dina said:
How did you do Jimmy Pelegrino's first mission where you protect him and his two chumps from a Sagano deal gone bad? I snipe the first five guys, but after that I gotta hose through 15 mobsters trying to save Jimmy from bleeding to death. Either I do or he dies.

The first time I did that mission was during nighttime and I couldn't find a way to enter the building to go up. It was too dark, couldn't see shit.. So I waited 'till day. The entrance was just next to the car. I felt like a retard. :lol

Anyway.

I also killed the first few guys with the snipe. Then I exited the building and ran after the guy to save him while killing everything that moved with my other weapons. I don't think you can finish the mission just with the sniper...

And no, I didn't do all side-mission. All main character missions are 100% though. I'm sure going to play this game for weeks long. I just love the free-roaming. I needs cheatz tho. The free-roaming is so much more fun with cheats!

Sega1991 said:
It's not as witty. All the comedy is a lot more in-your-face raw. Listening to the radio and watching TV and reading the internet... a lot of the hilarious innuendo is bypassed and they go straight for the kill. It feels really awkward and unnatural to flip to any station, any website, or any channel and find them dropping f-bombs freely. It's not that I can't handle swearing (I mean, I'm playing GTA) but it really breaks the illusion that I'm listening to a real radio station.

Totally agree. I love the game and Nico is awesome, in fact, all the cutscenes are great, but the comedy bits on the radio and TV are too over-the-top. It's like a kid or teen when they do things just to push how far they can go with it. I got no problem with cursing (i.e. the cutscenes), but simply adding F-bombs to things on the radio/tv does not make them more funny to me. It hasn't since I was a teen. They are just being less clever and more crass.

Dina

Ikuu said:
Snipe the guys, then the backup, run down, use the assault rifle on the rest, run down the right, cut into Jimmy, and then do the rest of the mission.

With run down the right, you mean run up the stairs and straight ahead? Cause I used to run where the baddies car was being parked

Andokuky

Banned
Andokuky said:
Ok, so how the fuck do you just create a room where you and some friends can play through different multiplayer modes? Setting up a custom match with 15 private slots works great... until you change the game mode, then half the people are booted out and you're slapped into a lobby with 8 strangers.

Anyone? Any help would be appreciated.

DopeyFish said:
half press the trigger
Cool, thanks.

What's a good way to beat the Little Jacob mission where you
drop off the goods under a bridge in a park, then get ambushed by 4 or so gang members? Every time the cutscene ends, I get owned within a few seconds because they're all toting shotguns.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
hanging out in roman's apartment right now, jammin to '1979' on the boom box :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Dina said:
With run down the right, you mean run up the stairs and straight ahead? Cause I used to run where the baddies car was being parked
Down the right, outside the warehouse, as soon as you reach Jimmy you basically move straight into a car anyway.

dork said:
I have a feeling I will never survive for 5 minutes on 6 stars

Someone else posted the best way to do this. Steal a Helicopter from the Helicopter Tours location and fly near one of the other islands you haven't unlocked yet. You'll get 6 stars, and all you have to do is fly out towards the ocean and no one will come near you.

Did anyone else order from Amazon? My PS3 special ed. should be arriving soon but I noticed a license plate in the product pics that isn't listed in the package contents. Does anybody know if it actually comes with that?

Edit: Never mind, search is my friend. That's what I get for being on media blackout.

Dina

Ikuu said:
Down the right, outside the warehouse, as soon as you reach Jimmy you basically move straight into a car anyway.

Hm right. I ran back down the stairs before, but apparantly not fast enough. Dunno why I have such problems with it, most shooting missions
Snow Storm, Three Leaf Clover, the last Packie/grace/diamond mission
I can handle fine.

Majmun

This is also probably the funniest game I've ever played. The pedestrians are so rude and have very funny lines. The tv-shows are great and the internet content is so rich and hilarious.

Rockstar really outdid themselves with this one.

Oh And BTW, clothing spoiler:

I loved Niko's biker outfit with the Albanian eagle on the back. I was like WTF this is awesome!! My father is Albanian so I thought it was pretty cool. I always wore that outfit when I could.

Story spoiler:

The mission where you have to kill the Albanians was less cool though lol.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Next GTA should take advantage of 360/PS3s built-in Online capabilities and make the Radio stations completely Online (as in, playlists can be updated with as much music as possible). I guess theres licensing issues but still, it would seriously rock.

MMaRsu

dork said:
QUESTION

do you ever get a garage, or are the spaces the only thing?

I don't know for sure. I have a garage on my map in South Bohan right now, but I can't do anything there, it's kind of weird actually.

anddo0

UncleGuito said:
Cool, thanks.

What's a good way to beat the Little Jacob mission where you
drop off the goods under a bridge in a park, then get ambushed by 4 or so gang members? Every time the cutscene ends, I get owned within a few seconds because they're all toting shotguns.

His missions are insanely easy.. If you have an smg/shotgun it shouldn't be too difficult.
Take out the shotgun wielding guy, and then quickly take out the other guy to the left.

After that take cover and kill the other two... Free aim helps a lot in these situations.

Second said:
This is also probably the funniest game I've ever played. The pedestrians are so rude and have very funny lines.
Rockstar really outdid themselves with this one.

Yeah, me running by a guy that runs into me and then says " Go fuck a corpse"... I was in awe!

civilstrife said:
I got the
Michelle betrayal
spoiled for me. Is it a big deal? Am I screwed? Is it like the climax of the story or anything?

From where I am,
where she has been revealed as a fed, it's not that big of a deal.
But it seems like there might be more to it, although I have no idea at this point.

_RT_

civilstrife said:
I got the
Michelle betrayal
spoiled for me. Is it a big deal? Am I screwed? Is it like the climax of the story or anything?

fuck. Well... it's official. I'm bailing out of this thread. I just don't have the willpower to resist looking at spoilers.

anddo0

_RT_ said:
fuck. Well... it's official. I'm bailing out of this thread. I just don't have the willpower to resist looking at spoilers.

same.. Although its pretty easy to read that character. I knew something was coming, just didn't know what.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
HELP

I'm stuck on "first date"

I'm on the 4th date with her...... I slept with her twice. I took roman out about 5 times. Man, having a girl and a friend is expensive.

the story doesn't move! Is it supposed to be like this? Its been 5 hours in this "first date"

Costanza

Banned
civilstrife said:
I got the
Michelle betrayal
No it happens like 30% in, not really a big deal.

elseanio

Mission:
Three Leaf Clover

This mission mission was amazing. Long cut scene to start it off, everyone in suits/balaclava's.. then, epic getaway akin to that of "Heat". Worth the 10s for this one alone! I'm only 30% in to the game too, lets hope for more of the same!

HugBasket

Banned
i don't like manny

and after the snow storm mission
:lol :lol :lol at "I'm sorry Jacob but I already hanging out with two friends and my hands are full taking care of them"

Top Bottom