• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

GhostRidah said:
Can you have two separate single player games going on at the same time for the 360? I mean my brother wants to start his own single player story but every time it try's to auto save it says it will overwrite my first game? little confused, I think it means it will erase my quick save file but I want to be positive before I do that.

Yes you can.

The only thing it's overwriting is your AUTOSAVE file. As long as you both save in your own slot when you finish playing and climb into bed, you'll be fine.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
GhostRidah said:
Can you have two separate single player games going on at the same time for the 360? I mean my brother wants to start his own single player story but every time it try's to auto save it says it will overwrite my first game? little confused, I think it means it will erase my quick save file but I want to be positive before I do that.

do you have a memory card? I'd use separate memory devices, seems like every version of GTA beyond part III had some random save glitches... just to be on the safe side.

Zabka

GhostRidah said:
Make a new profile?

LJ11

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't shoot. Just follow. They'll stop eventually. Be ready.

After three tries I got to the "second" part and was crushed. So I then thought I should take him out before he hooks up with the rest of them, guess not. Thanks for the help.

MMaRsu

Just reposting this..because it's an awesome story :)

MMaRsu said:
Just got this sweet ass baby :D :D

UPgNQt4=.jpg

One Man Army 40G
Survive 5 minutes on 6 star wanted level.

How it all went down...

So I'm in South Bohan, and there is this HUGE crane over there..I climbed all the way to the top, maxed out with guns and armor bought from my good friend Little Jacob. I call 911 and wait for the cops to arrive, I pull out my sniper rifle and shoot these bastards in the face, they both die right away.

So three stars right off the bat, this is going to be sweet I'm thinking to myself. Choppers are flying over, I shoot a pilot in his head and the chopper goes down, right onto a cop car with 3 or 4 cops surrounding it at the same time. Now it's 4 stars! Things are getting crazy, swat vans pulling up and trying to take me down. I throw down some grenades and wipe the swat out with my carbine assault rifle..things are getting heated and they are sending out more and more choppers. I keep killing the fuckers untill I get the achievement, by this time I'm down to three quarters of my health, with no armor.

I climb down, and get in the Banshee I parked right beside the crane for the getaway. At this point I'm determined to escape these bastards, so I hightail it out of there. On the way out I do a stuntjump which totally goes right..and I'm like this is the most awesome shit ever. I'm getting shot at and the Banshee only has 2 working weels at that point. I drive over to my safehouse which is pretty nearby, because I always have 2 great cars parked there..so I get in my other Banshee ( haha bitches :D ) and try to get the fuck out of there.

Choppers are coming in hot, shooting at me and not letting go. I pull up my mobile phone and give brucie a call, I tell him to get me a fucking chopper! I was already driving to the point where he normally lands when in South Bohan, right near the exit of the freeway. At that point I've got three cop cars on my tail so I jump out, Brucie just landed like 20ft away from me. I jump in the chopper and he says " Hey NB lets get the fuck outta here man!" ..Haha crazy Brucie, always brings a smile to my face.

We head over to the big city and land on a building, and now I've only got three stars. I'm thinking I can outrun that, so I go down to streetlevel and jack a car. Going over the bridges smashing through police blockades I finally escape the cops, and right now I'm in my car outside a Pier near the carnival.

FUCKING SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET DUDE :D :D :D :D

LJ11 said:
After three tries I got to the "second" part and was crushed. So I then thought I should take him out before he hooks up with the rest of them, guess not. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, focus on keeping up. Trying to shoot while riding is just going to send you into a lamppost. But when those red dots stop moving (you'll know where and when), BE READY.

Really, the only way to get killed in this game is to rush into shit.

123rl

striKeVillain! said:
Three Leaf Clover is the best GTA mission ever. Awesome Wowsome!

Stuck on this level now...I'm enjoying it and it's a cool mission but ffs the AI characters are stupid. I'm sick of dying/getting hurt/having to restart because of those idiots

I came in here to ask about this mission actually - is there any health I can pick up during the mission?

X26

Banned
123rl said:
Stuck on this level now...I'm enjoying it and it's a cool mission but ffs the AI characters are stupid. I'm sick of dying/getting hurt/having to restart because of those idiots

I came in here to ask about this mission actually - is there any health I can pick up during the mission?

I know there's atleast one. Fun mission, but barely made it out alive the first time through even with finding the health kit

mileS

Is there a way to switch back to my pistol when driving? I don't feel like wasting SMG rounds.

Just got my hands on a Comet. OH MY dear lord it handles like a dream!! So much fun to drive.

LJ11 said:
The first bike chase scene is killing me, any tips?

I just followed the bikers, until they stopped. In the park with trees area, grab a car to use for some vehicular manslaughter for one half of the bikers. Use the trees for cover and pick em off one at a time to finish them off!
After dying about 4-5 times, this approach did the trick for me!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Nothing gets me higher than mowing down enemy after enemy in multilayer. fuckin rampaging through the streets, sideswipping people into oblivion. Let me tell you something, when you shoot another man to death after gunning down all o his buddies, it's pain and bliss.

I just did Three Leaf Clover. Holy shit that was amazing. Packie is my favorite character in the game, easily. Him and Niko together is fucking awesome. Surprisingly, Three Leaf was easy as shit for me compared to Snowstorm.

GhostRidah said:

Easiest way to deal with this is whenever you complete a mission and feel you might be quitting soon is to load the autosave after it saves, it'll kick you back to your safehouse and you can save to a proper slot there.

123rl

X26 said:
I know there's atleast one. Fun mission, but barely made it out alive the first time through even with finding the health kit

Thanks - I just did it on my next try :D I didn't get the health but I picked up some armour and that helped me get through the (spoilers for those who won't know)
subway bit (where I usually died). It took me about 10 minutes to lose the police then and it was over

Costanza

Banned
ugh, what's the best way to approach Undress To Kill? I keep dying because as soon as I engage one of them the whole place goes crazy.

Frenck said:
Rockstar won't be able to top this.

No one will. Ever. It's fucking daunting how clever this game is. I'm on Craplist right now. One of the ads is someone looking for dopplegangers to share a gym membership with. I can't find the words for how awesome it is not only to make a repetitive character model joke but to make it work as a joke within the context of the game...

kbear

I'm 7 hours into the 360 version.. here are some quick impressions:

- GOTY, an absolute masterpiece

- Totally deserved the 10 from IGN re: graphics. 10 doesn't mean perfect... of course there's going to be minor niggles here and there, but overall, this game is just gorgeous. The animation is quite possibly the best of this gen, even better than Azn Creed and Uncharted. With those two games, the main characters were the ones that animated above and beyond... with GTA4, thanks to Euphoria, everyone animates amazingly well. Watching the Cabaret show with the cowboy dancing around was just eerily lifelike... spectacular. What else? Draw distance is unrivaled, geometry, character models, car models, lighting, shadows, reflections off the cars, art style, everything is so damn polished and well-done.

- Story sounds interesting so far and I'm having fun with the missions. Voice acting and cut scenes are phenomenal. The writing is absolutely peerless.

- Cover works well, shooting is great, and I love the new, more realistic driving physics

- Haven't noticed any pop-in / pop-up at all with the game and my brand new 360... what a joke. I can't believe you guys argued for 99235 pages about totally insignificant shit like that. I haven't noticed a damn thing in 7 hours. You'd probably have to diligently look for it and ignore what's going on in the game to ever see any.

- The only noticeable technical deficiency on the 360 version I've seen is the dithering of shadows underneath bridges which have a lot of shadows, but when you're driving it's hard to notice them. Framerate problems, pop-in, tearing, etc are all non-issues.

- Haven't tried the multi-player yet... I like the cell phone implementation of it! Reminds me of Burnout Paradise

- Overall, I'm simply blown away at what Rockstar has achieved here. This is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. This is the type of game I'm afraid we won't see in the following gen (720/PS4) if things keep trending the way they are now. Everyone should just put aside their qualms and sit back and enjoy this epic production. I'm not gonna rush through it at all.

Son of Godzilla said:
No one will. Ever. It's fucking daunting how clever this game is. I'm on Craplist right now. One of the ads is someone looking for dopplegangers to share a gym membership with. I can't find the words for how awesome it is not only to make a repetitive character model joke but to make it work as a joke within the context of the game...

Craplist is amazing. It deserves its own BAFTA.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
So it says i'm 21% into the game and I've played 11 hours. Does the story end at 100% or at like 80% but there's more to do.

I'm new to the series so I have no idea how this works. Seems crazy if its going to take me 55 hours to finish the story its so awesome so far I can't imagine them keeping it up for 44 more hours :lol

I have but one complaint about this game (so far):

It's not as witty. All the comedy is a lot more in-your-face raw. Listening to the radio and watching TV and reading the internet... a lot of the hilarious innuendo is bypassed and they go straight for the kill. It feels really awkward and unnatural to flip to any station, any website, or any channel and find them dropping f-bombs freely. It's not that I can't handle swearing (I mean, I'm playing GTA) but it really breaks the illusion that I'm listening to a real radio station.

Also, some of this stuff drags on forever and really wears out what little comedy value it had. Like Republican Space Rangers. That was amusing for about five minutes, but the show itself stretched on to probably closer to ten minutes.

The rest of the game is absolutely fantastic, though.

Teknoman

Damn it PSN sucks when uploading stats. I've done tons of stuff but the Club only says i've done 3% of the walking goal and nothing else.

Sega1991 said:
I have but one complaint about this game (so far):

It's not as witty. All the comedy is a lot more in-your-face raw. Listening to the radio and watching TV and reading the internet... a lot of the hilarious innuendo is bypassed and they go straight for the kill. It feels really awkward and unnatural to flip to any station, any website, or any channel and find them dropping f-bombs freely. It's not that I can't handle swearing (I mean, I'm playing GTA) but it really breaks the illusion that I'm listening to a real radio station.

Also, some of this stuff drags on forever and really wears out what little comedy value it had. Like Republican Space Rangers. That was amusing for about five minutes, but the show itself stretched on to probably closer to ten minutes.

The rest of the game is absolutely fantastic, though.

Ironically, the in-game comedy, Niko's general personality and interaction with others, is the most subtly funny gaming experience I've ever seen.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ironically, the in-game comedy, Niko's general personality and interaction with others, is the most subtly funny gaming experience I've ever seen.

I'll give you that. Niko is a fantastic character and is on his way to becoming my favorite GTA protagonist. I love his sense of humor.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BenjaminBirdie said:

That's pretty much spot on. Alot of the rest of the "world" is non-subtle at all, but Niko seems relatively real, and his sarcasm and "befuddlement" at the fucked up world around him, is great.

Majmun

I've finished the game. Seemed a bit short.

Loved everything about it. Didn't have any crashes either.

Definitely going to get the X360 version too if the DLC is interesting. I love the GTA4 world. Everything extra is welcome.

Now, where are the cheats lol.

ghibli99

Just dropping by to say I finally picked this up today. Box looks great in person! Won't be able to play this until tomorrow night (I'm currently on a business trip), but I can't wait! First GTA game I've been genuinely excited to play. If this one doesn't make me a believer, nothing will. :)

kbear

Second said:

Definitely going to get the X360 version too if the DLC is interesting. I love the GTA4 world. Everything extra is welcome.

How many hours?

+Aliken+

OK I've been playing from sometime now, does anyone think that the 10s GTA IV is getting are slightly generous?

I'm not saying that the game is bad, far from it. But I have the feeling that many votes are hype votes.

IMO the game is not perfect and I would personally give it a 9/9,5.
Anyone having the same feeling?

+Aliken+ said:
OK I've been playing from sometime now, does anyone think that the 10s GTA IV is getting are slightly generous?

I'm not saying that the game is bad, far from it. But I have the feeling that many votes are hype votes.

Completely the opposite. I've never been this engaged in a gaming narrative this much before. Is there higher than a 10?

kbear

+Aliken+ said:

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Majmun

kbear said:
How many hours?

I have the Ps3 version since saturday. 31:33 hours clocked as in today.

30 hours is long. It just that San Andreas singleplayer took me longer to finish. And I also like San Andreas Map more. I miss the countrysides.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
+Aliken+ said:

Here's what I think, and I'm on the second island right now so I have a pretty good feel for it.

As a next-gen entry from the most popular multiplatform franchise ever, it deserved a ten. I think there are some faults with the game, some having to do with the new hardware and networking that Rockstar is new at, but it's a fantastic game.

I don't think the next entries will receive tens though. GTA is a bit in danger of losing it's luster if it continues to use the same skeleton structure...having multiple options on who you want to work for and driving to their pad was an amazing thing in GTAIII, but not any longer.

They need to rework the structure of the game. It simply cant continue the way it is now without risking franchise exhaustion. The GTA MMO that's been rumored might help, but I think RS needs to seriously concentrate on a whole new experience that was found in GTAIII.

Dina

Costanza said:

Explain the mission please. I remember the name but not the contents.

Second said:

How did you do Jimmy Pelegrino's first mission where you protect him and his two chumps from a Sagano deal gone bad? I snipe the first five guys, but after that I gotta hose through 15 mobsters trying to save Jimmy from bleeding to death. Either I do or he dies.

Teknoman

You guys rushed it. Take your time :lol

However I dont think Rockstar is going to be able to change it TOO much. I mean look at the Metal Gear series or Mario. You cant stray too far from core stuff.

Top Bottom