• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Himuro said:
How many speaking parts are there in the game? How much dialogue?

WM: It’s difficult to quantify how many speaking parts there are, but at our last count there were over 740 unique voices in the game. There are over 80,000 individual lines of dialogue, more than 7000 of which are Niko’s lines. If you were to listen to each line back to back, it would take over 29 hours. Also, these figures don’t take the radio, TV, and mo-capped cut-scene dialogue into consideration.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
:O

WHAT

WOW

Himuro said:
How many speaking parts are there in the game? How much dialogue?

WM: It’s difficult to quantify how many speaking parts there are, but at our last count there were over 740 unique voices in the game. There are over 80,000 individual lines of dialogue, more than 7000 of which are Niko’s lines. If you were to listen to each line back to back, it would take over 29 hours. Also, these figures don’t take the radio, TV, and mo-capped cut-scene dialogue into consideration.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

God Damn!

Are they putting this game on magical DVDs or something? Compression has really come a long way.

bishoptl said:
I'm all about AI and weapons, audio is another beast entirely.

Could you ask an audio guy or something? Those numbers just seem unfathomable to me.

This really will be the game of the forever.

X26

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Wait... TV? You can watch TV?

there's theatre's too right, so maybe even (short) movies, maybe

hell if you can watch magicians and comedians, why not in-game TV and movies

Fletcher

X26 said:
there's theatre's too right, so maybe even (short) movies, maybe

hell if you can watch magicians and comedians, why not in-game TV and movies

That would be so gnarly if you could share recorded clips with your friends in the theater. Totally not in the game, but would be sweet still.

Teknoman

BobFromPikeCreek said:
So I guess this means I won't have to hear "I SMOKE CAUSE IT GIVES ME KNOWLEDGE" every 5 minutes now.
:lol

Also I will be watching TV. Watched every availible episode of those shows in Max Payne 1 and 2 on the various TVs. Definatly will watch these.

Then blow the TV up afterwards because THATS HOW I ROLL

newsguy

2envsw4.jpg

dejay

Banned
chubigans said:
I will never, ever, never understand how this got to fit on a DVD.

Where there's a will there's a way. I know Rockstar North and it's affiliated studios have mega-resources, but it kinda makes a mockery out of some developers saying that they can't fit such and such into such and such.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys I am thinking about picking up GTA4 but I have a couple questions ....

1)Does GTA4 make use of a Gears-style cover system?

2)Can you describe the health system? Does it have health regen ala Gears/Uncharted? Or is find the health pack?

3)If I like Gears and Uncharted a lot, will I like GTA4?

4)I know it's a sand box type game, but is it too non-linear? Like Oblivion non-linear? Do they at least tell you what to do next and where to go? I tend to get bored with non-linear games that lack focus on what to do next.

Does GTA4 make use of a Gears-style cover system?
- Yes, including all types of objects that can turn into cover. Example: Tables, cars and mailboxes.

Does it have health regen ala Gears/Uncharted? Or is find the health pack?
- Oh dear god, what did you start? You know there will be 3 pages about this now.

If I like Gears and Uncharted a lot, will I like GTA4?
- If you like any game, you will love GTA4.

I know it's a sand box type game, but is it too non-linear? Like Oblivion non-linear? Do they at least tell you what to do next and where to go? I tend to get bored with non-linear games that lack focus on what to do next.
- You will see icons on the map at all time that indicate a location where you can start a mission. Or, you'll just have to use your phone to call people.

Tieno

Grimm Fandango said:
What was the other recent game that had a ton of audio lines? Halo 3?
Halo 3 has a shitload of combat chatter, the AI randomizes it so you don't hear the same stuff over and over. Great when replaying the game.

Wiki: In the game, there are over 50,000 pieces of audio, with nearly 40,000 of those being NPC dialogue.

Mass Effect was another game, it had over a million words to be translated and tons of dialogue.

isamu said:

1)Does GTA4 make use of a Gears-style cover system?
Ya, yet a little more flexible, from what I've heard..

2)Can you describe the health system? Does it have health regen ala Gears/Uncharted? Or is find the health pack?
No friggin' clue, we haven't seen any hearts or stuff like that on the HUD so far so I'll go with the regen system..

Doesn't matter what you like, you WILL LIEK GTA IV!

4)I know it's a sand box type game, but is it too non-linear? Like Oblivion non-linear? Do they at least tell you what to do next and where to go? I tend to get bored with non-linear games that lack focus on what to do next.

Have you played previous GTA games? I think it'll be a little more non-linear than those..

Ten-Song

Lonesome_Raod said:
What proof can I offer. Let the fool get on with it. Only 10 days til the rest of us honest types get to play it anyway.

I don't want to hear any shit about the game being leaked anyways, I want to go into it fresh and not ruin anything.

Banzaiaap said:
Have you played previous GTA games? I think it'll be a little more non-linear than those..
I think you mean more linear and you eat food to gain health. I also read about
sleeping to gain health
in a preview.

isamu said:

The main story will progress, as Scopebob said by the icons, but it will also have some non linear aspects in that side missions can be found just by walking the streets (i.e. someone will walk up to you, talk for a bit, and ask for your help). Whether or not you chose to help them is a decision for you to make. You will always know where to go as far as the main story. The big thing with GTAIV will be that there will be several ways you can complete the objective such as "balls to the wall, let's go get him" style or making a plan by obtaining information through several means the world provides, for example: the internet or cop cars.

Edit: Also, my opinion is that there are a couple must have games that come every year. GTAIV is one of those games for this year.

Do we know how much the player-created characters look like normal pedestrians? Reason I ask is because I'm excited with a certain scenario I've concocted in my head for deathmatch and wondering if it would work:

I'm thinking of putting heavy ped traffic in the equivalent of Times Square and making the only weapons available sniper rifles. Then have a few friends blending in with the crowd, while I'm perched at a high point trying to locate them. 20 shots, most kills after one round wins.

I'm so excited for all the permutations multiplayer could hold.

Bossman

kryptikjoker said:
Do we know how much the player-created characters look like normal pedestrians? Reason I ask is because I'm excited with a certain scenario I've concocted in my head for deathmatch and wondering if it would work:

I'm thinking of putting heavy ped traffic in the equivalent of Times Square and making the only weapons available sniper rifles. Then have a few friends blending in with the crowd, while I'm perched at a high point trying to locate them. 20 shots, most kills after one round wins.

I'm so excited for all the permutations multiplayer could hold.

I think players will move faster than peds, so it will be quite easy to locate the other players even if you don't use visible gamertags.

skynet

Today's Telegraph newspaper in the UK has a two page exclusive (ya rly) preview of GTAIV! It's even got a small heading and pic on the front page of the newspaper! The hype machine surrounding this game is insane - I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER!

FightyF

Banned
Bossman said:
I think players will move faster than peds, so it will be quite easy to locate the other players even if you don't use visible gamertags.

Well, I'm assuming players can also walk, like they do in SP. Ie. hold analog stick slightly in a direction to walk slow/normal.

Also, when you are driving a car...how will others know you aren't an NPC? I think this will be so incredibly awesome...

Just finished listening to IGN's "Game Scoop Ep. 76" Podcast and at the end they mentioned that this coming week will be GTAIV Week. The site has teamed up with Rockstar and will have exclusive content concerning GTAIV unveiled everyday of the week and on up to the release of the game. So be on the lookout for that. :D

Don't know if this has been asked yet, but: Will the game have the same 24min clock for one day? So every minutes takes one second? I always thought days were a little short this way..

Tr4nce

Banzaiaap said:
Don't know if this has been asked yet, but: Will the game have the same 24min clock for one day? So every minutes takes one second? I always thought days were a little short this way..

2 minutes = 1 hour

thus

48 minutes = 24 hours

So it will take around 48 minutes to complete one whole day/night cycle. I think this is a good choice of R*.

painey

isamu said:

You have a health bar on the HUD, if you get fucked up your health goes down, the only way to refill it is to eat food, hotdogs, burgers, etc. I dont know why people didnt know this, its common knowledge.

isamu said:

3) This game will be nothing like Gears or Uncharted. GTA will have plenty of gunplay and a cover sytem but beyond that they share very little.

4) It's an open world game with plenty of freedom but you can simple move from story mission to story mission if thats what you prefer. The people who send you on missions will be marked clearly on the map so you shouldn't have any problem knowing what to do next. Personally, I think you miss out on a lot if you stay too focused on the main missions. The GTA games offer so much variety and the world always feels alive. If that kind of freedom doesn't appeal to you, unfortunately, you may not enjoy the game.

Have you ever played GTA before? I think this game will be a tighter, more refined and much more polished game, with more focus on the story telling but in the end it will still feel like GTA.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Hmm. May be an overstating this? I mean, BEST physics they've ever seen?
Well I haven't seen any actual gameplay, but from what I've heard it's so that when you're drunk, you're barely able to move proper. :lol

zaidr

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Hmm. May be an overstating this? I mean, BEST physics they've ever seen?

Are you forgetting about Euphoria? I guess you could call it an AI system, and not physics, but that is carrying a lot of the reason being declared as "best physics ever".

Guenther

Maybe the question has already been answered, but does Rockstar use global servers for the multiplayer? I´m thinking of importing the US version to Europe.

Guenther said:
Maybe the question has already been answered, but does Rockstar use global servers for the multiplayer? I´m thinking of importing the US version to Europe.
When you're considering that it's better to check if it's Region Free or not..

newsguy

Saw this on gta4.net

German magazine Games Aktuell is the latest magazine to review Grand Theft Auto IV. Here is their verdict:

* Graphics: 9/10
The gigantic size of the city makes you forget the few graphical imperfections of the game.
* Sound: 10/10
Best GTA soundtrack ever, and probably the most compelling feature in the game.
* Controls: 8/10
Far from perfect but a big step from the previous GTA games.
* Multiplayer: 9/10
Great concept and innovative integration with the single-player mode.
* Gameplay: 10/10
We can't score it 11/10...
* Conclusion:
GTA4 is by far the best action game ever created.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
newsguy said:
Saw this on gta4.net
What's up with germans and giving games 11/10?

Some german magazine gave HL2 a 11/10 too...

zaidr said:
Are you forgetting about Euphoria? I guess you could call it an AI system, and not physics, but that is carrying a lot of the reason being declared as "best physics ever".
Didn't Intihar say that you wouldn't notice Euphoria that much except in some special situations (like being drunk for example)?

Top Bottom