• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

smuf

Glaciadluz said:
Hello,

The 360 and PS3 versions will have the splitscreen mode in online or not ?

I'm lost :D

Splitscreen would probably be pretty much impossible due to the open world. The consoles simply can't stream data fast enough to make splitscreen play possible.

Dante

dork said:
There is a strip club...so yes

Someone Asked Lazlow that when in the strip club, and he said no, and then brought up the inconsistencies with the ESRB regarding violence to sex.

PortoG

smuf said:
Splitscreen would probably be pretty much impossible due to the open world. The consoles simply can't stream data fast enough to make splitscreen play possible.

Thx.
I feel like you but with all the crap in the web... :D

Today I found myself on the hype train destination 29th April. Which is strange as up until now I haven't given much thought about it. Gonna be a long 11 days.

dejay

Banned
Lonesome_Raod said:
Today I found myself on the hype train destination 29th April. Which is strange as up until now I haven't given much thought about it. Gonna be a long 11 days.

Long 11 days! You got nothing; try being hyped since the first trailer was released over a year ago. Actually I've been hyped since Peter Moore came out with a GTA IV tattoo and pushed me over into going next gen.

Anyway, in my part of the world there's only 10 more sleeps to go (9 if you're going to a midnight launch).

Ares

Banned
I went into EB Games yesterday to pre-order GTA IV and the cashier told me the limited edition has 20 hours more gameplay than the regular edition, I claimed bullshit and pre-ordered the regular. Was the cashier bluffing or is it true?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ares said:
I went into EB Games yesterday to pre-order GTA IV and the cashier told me the limited edition has 20 hours more gameplay than the regular edition, I claimed bullshit and pre-ordered the regular. Was the cashier bluffing or is it true?

An hour of lockboxing, maybe five hours playing the CD over and over, reading the art book for another hour, and throwing it all in the gym bag and tossing it in the dumpster for one more.

Yeah, BS on that one.

Ares said:

Well, he did try selling you the limited edition. :D

Teknoman

Glaciadluz said:
Hello,

The 360 and PS3 versions will have the splitscreen mode in online or not ?

I'm lost :D

There isnt any local MP so im sure split screen online is impossible. At least thats what i've read so far.

Ares said:

Probably trying to get his numbers up or something.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Also, I have preordered the PS3 special edition and am too afraid at this point to switch it back. :\

Ah, its only $30 more.

dork

Banned
Why do i always hear these bullshit horror stories about eb/gamestop when ive worked there for 4 years, and between both shops in our town we have never had someone that dumb working there.

Teknoman

Im probably going to start working there some time during May. Definatly not going to fool people just to get numbers up...even though judging an employee by how many preorders/ Gamestop card subscriptions they recieve is pretty lame.

FightyF

Banned
smuf said:

You would think though, that from one machine, it would stream the same amount of data to the other consoles, and recieve the same amount, save for the 2nd character's movements and shots fired. I'm no networking expert...so I could be very off.

I think the bigger barrier (even if networking was a barrier) is on the visuals side.

I ordered the PS3 LE because it actually has some substance unlike most games crappy add ons. I also never rely on clerks for info. The Internet is right here. He was a dumb ass for telling you such a crazy shit.

FightyF said:
You would think though, that from one machine, it would stream the same amount of data to the other consoles, and recieve the same amount, save for the 2nd character's movements and shots fired. I'm no networking expert...so I could be very off.

I think the bigger barrier (even if networking was a barrier) is on the visuals side.

Splitscreen would require one console to stream all of the geometry, all of the textures, all of the audio for 2 separate characters in 2 separate locations. A host of an online or network multiplayer game just receives information about the other players locations, orientations, actions, things like that. They don't need to stream the textures, models, animations and all that across the network. The clients handle all the heavy lifting when it comes to actually rendering the scene.

I would love to work at Gamestop. Im sure Im not alone at saying that on these boards. Ive applied a few times to the one thats very close to me but most of the time they're just looking for management positions. Once I get out of high school this summer, Im gonna branch out a bit and apply at a few other game stores as well. I dont understand how some people get hired there and they barely know anything about videogames. Anyways! sorry, back to GTA talk :)

Tr4nce

TheKurgan said:
What bundle? Is the rumor for Europe of North America? Any info would be appreciated since I planning on buying a PS3 as soon as a good deal crops up.

Sorry for the late answer, but I only know of a bundle coming for PAL land. But I don't see why Sony wouldn't make a similar deal in America. Anyone?

Cardon

Felix Lighter said:
How brief?

Sorry about the delay in replying, I just got back from NY ComicCon. I would say I saw about 5 minutes of the game. Yes it wasn't long but I'm basically the first non-industry or entertainment job related person to see the game in action. I saw the start of a mission which consisted of Niko hitting some dude with a bat and then the guy running into a building. You then had to go inside the building and find him. I saw Niko shoot some dudes up and thats about it. I really wish I saw the part when Jimmy was playing since he drove around and blew himself up into the air along with a few cops.

Teknoman

gnarkill bill said:
I would love to work at Gamestop. Im sure Im not alone at saying that on these boards. Ive applied a few times to the one thats very close to me but most of the time they're just looking for management positions. Once I get out of high school this summer, Im gonna branch out a bit and apply at a few other game stores as well. I dont understand how some people get hired there and they barely know anything about videogames. Anyways! sorry, back to GTA talk :)

You and me both. The only thing im worried about is pushing people to reserve. The one thing I hate that happens to me all the time...now i'll have to do it to others :lol

That and how the cashier PC works. Though im sure that'll come easy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cardon said:
Sorry about the delay in replying, I just got back from NY ComicCon. I would say I saw about 5 minutes of the game.

Word on the framerate? Similar to San Andreas or finally something smoother?

Cardon

Dash Kappei said:
Word on the framerate? Similar to San Andreas or finally something smoother?

It looked smooth to me. The section I saw was just Niko shooting at some dudes in a hallway so there wasn't really anything happening to cause any frame dips. So I would say it looked a bit better than SA but not seeing anything out in the crowded streets I'm not sure if the framerate would be different. The game looks really sharp visually but the part I liked the most was the animation when you shoot someone. Seeing the way they react and how the blood looks is quite cool.

Cardon

Oh and in case it matters in anyway the version of the game I saw was running on a 360 dev kit and obviously wasn't the gold version of the game.

I'm not up for wading through 1100+ posts, or starting conflict...

Can someone please simply confirm if I'm able to use my own MP3s in game on the PS3?

sruckus

Lord Helmet said:
I'm not up for wading through 1100+ posts, or starting conflict...

Can someone please simply confirm if I'm able to use my own MP3s in game on the PS3?

Nope. Its very hard to restrain my anger but I shall.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think any sandbox game is 100% smooth. There's just so much potential for epic destruction.

It's also interesting how slowdown is a feature if you can activate it but a bug if you can't. They should automatically activate some kind of cinematic camera when you are causing enough pandemonium and call it a feature.

sruckus

Lord Helmet said:
Thank you. Such a shame. Want to put my pre-order down, but I just can't make up my mind on which one yet...

eh it wouldn't even be close to a dealbreaker imo, it looks to be an amazing game either way. I just am ticked that devs are ignoring features all the time..atleast on the PS3.

Not, it's not really... it's just something I would like to have. Besides it can always be patched.
I've been leaning towards the PS3 version... if the 360 DLC is that special then I can always sell the PS3 version.

I wish someone somewhere would put up a short gameplay clip of this game, that is all I really want to see and then I will hide until April 29th...

Hope this isn't too OT but ... Am I the only one who's puzzled by the fact the MS hasn't dropped the price of the 360 ahead of this game's release?

Top Bottom