• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

newsguy

guise said:
Have I just missed it or has anything been said about the game's use/quality (or lack) of 5.1 audio?
Last page there's a link to an entire audio Q and A http://www.gamesradar.com/f/grand-theft-auto-iv-audio-qa/a-20080418152838249060
No game on these 2 systems comes with anything less than 5.1. About Euphoria, it's not only for special situations, it starts the moment there's a impact. Example: after someone is shot, getting hit by a car, falling down, things like grabbing on to a chopper.

Xdrive05

Does anybody actually know what the soundtrack in the CE actually includes? It can't be the whole soundtrack to the game (all radio stations, for instance), unless maybe it's MP3 files.

It seems a little disingenuous that they say it comes with "the soundtrack" but they don't actually explain what that means with a game like GTA.

MMaRsu

Sorry, this site is down for maintenance.

Note to readers:
This is Cam! You're here seeing what the fuss is about the Gameplay footage that will soon be posted on my site. My site will be down for the next 6-10 hours so that I can launch the videos as smoothly as possible.

What to expect:
Check back within 6-10 hours. If everything goes according to plan, the 20-minute video will be ready to watch. I'll then place videos on YouTube. Due to bandwidth limitations, my 20-minute video will only support 35 viewers at a time. I know--that sucks. But it's better than nothing!

Questions?
You know how to contact me, so don't hesitate!

http://cgreviews.com/

real or fake?

Tr4nce said:
2 minutes = 1 hour

thus

48 minutes = 24 hours

So it will take around 48 minutes to complete one whole day/night cycle. I think this is a good choice of R*.

I would have liked the option of a real-time clock... with real-time weather conditions based on the city you live in. Maybe next time?

MMaRsu said:

I'd say fake. On the front page it has the number of slots and how many are being used at the time. If you refresh a couple of times you'll get a 33 or 34, which would mean some slots are open. If you then click on the link no matter how many times you refresh no slots ever open up.

painey

its totally fake, its the guy who did the "first" review which he said was based on a preview build and was totally pro-ps3 and anti-360, he then took it down after a few hours admitting it was fake but saying he was getting a "proper" review build a few days later, so that review went up which was nigh-identical just with all the fanboy bits scrapped and now all of a sudden he has gameplay videos but "oops" only 35 people can watch at once. He doesnt deserve the hits.. well.. maybe he deserves a DDOS attack but very little else

hitoshi

darkressurection said:
I don't think the counter on his site does anything

Refreshing simply changes the number on that line, no javascript or anything.

Maybe he watches GAF

I've pulled the link to save the server. The video will not be up until 8:00EST!

20-Minutes of Gameplay (offline)

It's funny how one wants a little attention at each and every major game release.

Ariexv

From Lazlow http://www.gta4.net/news/4074/gta-iv-goes-gold--lazlow-speaks-on-gta-iv--new-screenshots/

* There are over 100 radio commercials in the game.
* Announcements on the subway system will randomly alert you of spontaneous police harassment, security checks and searches.
* The faux-beer brand "Piswasser" takes a jab at Budweiser, including a radio commercial sung by Anthony himself.
* GTA IV's in-game internet is ridiculously extensive, featuring spoofs of liberal and conservative news sources with coverage of your in-game antics, as well as spoofs popular blogs and websites (craigslist, for example). Irritating pop-up banner ads also make an appearance.
* Niko can hook up with a wide range of girls via dating websites.
* Injuries mean much more in GTA IV. When Niko gets shot in the leg, for example, he'll begin to bleed and limp.
* Recording sessions for dialogue and in-game audio went on for ten hours a day, five days a week. The entire process took weeks to finish.
* Rockstar employees have been working overtime and well into the weekends to complete the game.
* Between the Xbox 360 version of the game and the PS3 version, Lazlow admits that he prefers the 360 version thanks to the downloadable content; new missions, new characters, new comedy, etc.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ariexv said:
* Between the Xbox 360 version of the game and the PS3 version, Lazlow admits that he prefers the 360 version thanks to the downloadable content; new missions, new characters, new comedy, etc.
:lol

The way Microsoft have been shitting down our throats about the 360 version of GTA IV, well, who the fuck knows anymore.

Teknoman

* GTA IV's in-game internet is ridiculously extensive, featuring spoofs of liberal and conservative news sources with coverage of your in-game antics, as well as spoofs popular blogs and websites (craigslist, for example). Irritating pop-up banner ads also make an appearance.

Wait what? In game internet? First i've heard of this.

* Injuries mean much more in GTA IV. When Niko gets shot in the leg, for example, he'll begin to bleed and limp.

Hmm think it'll carry over to MP? Really give that "You'll never take me alive!" feeling when playing the cops mode and limping behind something to take cover.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Teknoman said:

Hmm think it'll carry over to MP? Really give that "You'll never take me alive!" feeling when playing the cops mode and limping behind something to take cover.
My God, I'M SO PUMPED! 10 DAYS IS SIMPLY TOO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Teknoman said:

Yeah they talked about that on the new PSM3 podcast. It's one of the many reasons why I don't know when i'm going to get around to the multiplayer portion of the game.

Chinner

Banned
Seiken said:
My God, I'M SO PUMPED! 10 DAYS IS SIMPLY TOO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

when i was reading that to myself, i admitted it that is sounded pretty cool because many games (MGS3) said they would have that but they didnt, so when i saw your post i had to admit, that is admittingly pretty cool and i agree with you

Teknoman said:

Can you imagine the megaton GAF overload if there was a spoof GAF??? :lol :lol

With spoofed regular gaffers??? :lol :lol

Teknoman

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah they talked about that on the new PSM3 podcast. It's one of the many reasons why I don't know when i'm going to get around to the multiplayer portion of the game.

I might get in long enough to make my own custom character.... I guess i'll do one day of getting used to the new controls and messing around in single player, then MP for another day. The rest, mix em up.

I hope the next 2 GTA games this generation follow the same focus. A reasonably close/ compact area but with TONS of stuff to do (read: not super spread out like San Andreas, even though I liked that game as well).

prettyvacant77 said:
Can you imagine the megaton GAF overload if there was a spoof GAF??? :lol :lol

With spoofed regular gaffers??? :lol :lol

Yeah that would be crazy :lol I'm sure SOME game forums will be on there. I wonder how the browser will display though? Just through the phone?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Himuro said:
What do you guys think? Do you think GTAIV has downgraded since the first trailer?
Absolutely. The first trailer is still the best looking one but the latest one is very close in terms of graphics.

Teknoman said:
I might get in long enough to make my own custom character.... I guess i'll do one day of getting used to the new controls and messing around in single player, then MP for another day. The rest, mix em up.

Yeah I might create a character but that's about it. It just seems there's so much to do in the single player game that you aren't going to want to do anything else but play it for awhile.

Teknoman said:
I hope the next 2 GTA games this generation follow the same focus. A reasonably close/ compact area but with TONS of stuff to do (read: not super spread out like San Andreas, even though I liked that game as well).

I hope they have a countryside section in the next GTA. I know some didn't like it in SA but it was one of my favorite parts of the game. It was an area where you could just play around without having worry about running into cars all the time.

painey

I darent go online with anyone except my friends in the co-op online missions until ive beaten the story mode. Dont need a dickhead on Live ruining it for me.

impirius

I really don't want to bring any OMG SYSTEM WARS stuff into this thread, and I've tried to catch up with this thread as much as possible, but I can't decide which version of the game to get. Can anyone point me to an article elsewhere comparing the two?

Teknoman

painey said:
I darent go online with anyone except my friends in the co-op online missions until ive beaten the story mode. Dont need a dickhead on Live ruining it for me.

Not even for GAF cops and crooks or other online matches?

; ;

EDIT: OHHH I see what you mean. Spoiler people on live. Sorry misread that.

impirius said:
I really don't want to bring any OMG SYSTEM WARS stuff into this thread, and I've tried to catch up with this thread as much as possible, but I can't decide which version of the game to get. Can anyone point me to an article elsewhere comparing the two?

So far there is no real difference except controller preference and whether you want the first DLC or not. Honestly the first DLC doesnt really matter to me since it'll probably be out before I even finish everything in the game single player wise, but I think the DS3's shoulder triggers are better suited for the aiming system style.

impirius said:

Oh dude, did you have to? For the time being, there have been snippets here and there about how one system is a little bit better in some tiny regard, but nobody knows for sure as it all currently sounds insignificant or simply like conjecture. Wait for the reviews and then make your decision. End of discussion.

.nimrod

impirius said:
..., but I can't decide which version of the game to get. Can anyone point me to an article elsewhere comparing the two?

If you definately wanna buy the DLC and already have an XBL gold subscription -> get the 360 version
If you're the kind of gamer that probably won't finish gta4 anyway and you don't like to pay for multiplayer -> get the PS3 version

cause those are the only real differences

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Himuro said:
Let's examine how GTAIV's graphics have evolved since the first trailer

Things Will Be Different
Looking For That Special Someone
Move Up Ladies
Everyone's A Rat

The first trailer arguably has best graphics out of all the trailers, but then we don't see any action at all.

The second trailer..I notice a MAJOR downgrade in graphical quality, particularly Niko's model. They changed his original fatter face to a more slim one.

The third trailer: graphics are finally looking up again. I think it's arguable that the graphics are finally on par with the first trailer. Niko's model looks a lot better than it did in the second trailer, but I'm not sure if it's up tot he quality seen in the first one.

Fourth trailer: this game looks far better than what the first trailer had, but then again, there's no emphasis on the buildings and environments like in the first one either so it's hard to tell.

What do you guys think? Do you think GTAIV has downgraded since the first trailer?

I do agree the second trailer by far looks like the worst out of all of them. First trailer had alot of secenry shots but not gameplay action. By the time third/fourth trailers graphics look on par with the first.

SolidSnakex said:
I hope they have a countryside section in the next GTA. I know some didn't like it in SA but it was one of my favorite parts of the game. It was an area where you could just play around without having worry about running into cars all the time.
Only if they don't make you go back and forth across the entire thing between missions and during missions like they did in SA. That was so irritating. It was fun to play with when you had no destination, but a total pain in the ass when you were trying to get somewhere.

PS: I'm also in love with Sasha Grey.

I have a question. Does anyone have the slithest idea about how many copies Take 2 is shipping for release day.

GTA 4 went gold around 17 April 2008. How many copies can they produce and distribute before 29 April 2008?

Teknoman

TheKingOfSheep said:
I have a question. Does anyone have the slithest idea about how many copies Take 2 is shipping for release day.

GTA 4 went gold around 17 April 2008. How many copies can they produce and distribute before 29 April 2008?

Alot? If you're wondering if you should reserve or not...I say go for it. Though I found San Andreas the day before release, this seems to be ALOT more hyped than any previous GTA game before it.

newsguy

Teknoman said:
Yeah that would be crazy :lol I'm sure SOME game forums will be on there. I wonder how the browser will display though? Just through the phone?

No, you go to internet cafes (tw@) and check the internet there. I seriously think the depth of the internet in the game will blow people's minds. If you know R*, you know they're going to spoof the hell out of everything.

I haven't pre-ordered yet because i'm waiting to see if the 360 or PS3 version is better. Besides, maybe I can find it somewhere earlier than the release date. I'd rather have it on PS3 since I can play online for free, since I did not renew Live.

I bought a 3 month Xbox Live card for ~$15 in January 07 and there was some glitch and my Xbox Live didn't expire until March 08. Every month it would say my Live was going to expire that month, but then after the date passed, the expriation changed to the following month. That kind of spoiled me, so now I'm too stingy to pay $50 for a year, lol. Maybe I should buy another 3 month card and hope it happens again.

does anyone have any REAL ideas about the visual and performance differences between both 360 and ps3? I don't care about downloadable content, and just want the game that looks better and has a better framerate.

has anyone heard anything concrete yet?

blanky

newsguy said:
No, you go to internet cafes (tw@) and check the internet there. I seriously think the depth of the internet in the game will blow people's minds. If you know R*, you know they're going to spoof the hell out of everything.

Maybe like a youtube kinda thing where you can see phone versions of your heists and stuff?!

Superblatt said:
does anyone have any REAL ideas about the visual and performance differences between both 360 and ps3? I don't care about downloadable content, and just want the game that looks better and has a better framerate.

has anyone heard anything concrete yet?
Nope. Some people say 360 was the lead development platform, but I don't know where they're getting that from. Anything else you here is pretty much fanboy propaganda.

Sylar

Banned
I wouldn't look too far into the internet thing. I doubt it'll be more than a website with specific sections of the site, probably Liberty News channel or something.

newsguy

Sylar said:
I wouldn't look too far into the internet thing. I doubt it'll be more than a website with specific sections of the site, probably Liberty News channel or something.

No. Lazlow himself said the internet was a huge thing. In previews alone can tell you that there's a liberal and conservative news site, personals, law firm stuff, and places where you can look for jobs. These are only things the previewers are allowed to talk about.

pn18

Banned
newsguy said:

Oh man, I'm so sure there'll be something like NeoFAG or so. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
painey said:
That reminds me of how much opportunity there is to grief in the team based modes. You could take your whole team up into a chopper and just crater it for no reason. Maybe they should add a "Find the rat" mode, where someone on your team is a double agent.

Sylar

Banned
Lazlow also said Vice City Stories had an full fledged strategy game built into it with the owning and buying of properties and managing them. It was far from that.

Speaking of which...is that feature going to be in GTA4?

newsguy

Sylar said:
Lazlow also said Vice City Stories had an full fledged strategy game built into it with the owning and buying of properties and managing them. It was far from that.

Speaking of which...is that feature going to be in GTA4?

Dude, he's being specific. He talks about blogs, ringtone websites etc.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SapientWolf said:
That reminds me of how much opportunity there is to grief in the team based modes. You could take your whole team up into a chopper and just crater it for no reason. Maybe they should add a "Find the rat" mode, where someone on your team is a double agent.

This would be a very good thing

Top Bottom