• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Eric WK

Prvt.Pegleg said:
I beat the main story arc and I have 60%.

Guide wrong?

Drug Deliveries for LJ, Races for Brucie and Exotic Imports for Brucie are 2% each and count as the "Procedural Missions".

Eric WK said:
I'm beginning to get confused about how I'm at 88%. I've done everything but Deliver all 30 Vehicles, 200 Pigeons and 50 Stunt Jumps. I don't know what exactly you need to do for the friend activities since I have every special ability and I've won at every activity at least once. Hrm.
By freinds activities I think it might mean the pot deliveries, Brucie's email missions, and such. Actually I can't think of any outside those two. But whatever.

The deductive among us just got some pretty massive spoilers.
You didn't think you'd have to do everything in the game to have done everything in the game?

Okay commentary: I fucking love how the world evolves. From the mayor gradually losing support of his OMG TERRERISTS campaign and the bridges opening up, along with other stuff, to Dragonbrain coming soon ads to reports of homicides on opening night. The obvious example being Lazlow of course, going from WKTT ads denouncing it as the worst idea ever to the little bastard appearing on air.

Eric WK

Son of Godzilla said:
By freinds activities I think it might mean the pot deliveries, Brucie's email missions, and such. Actually I can't think of any outside those two. But whatever.

Nah, did all of those and they're part of the Missions breakdown.

I guess you have to do every available activity with three of the friends. Bleh.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Son of Godzilla said:
You didn't think you'd have to do everything in the game to have done everything in the game?.

Eh no... There is a serious plot spoiler tucked away in there if I'm reading correctly :'(

Eric WK

Darunia said:
Eh no... There is a serious plot spoiler tucked away in there if I'm reading correctly :'(

Nah. I'm guessing you're referring to someone being listed as excluded from something.

Don't worry about it. Promise.

Rorschach

Son of Godzilla said:
How do you shoot shit in first person anyways?
It's easier to shoot in first person, actually. You can move the camera with right stick and you can shoot through your windshield and keep your target in front. The only times I'm not in first person is when on a bike or chopper.

And cover is overrated, I'm a fan of assault rifle marching, blasting any mother fucker stupid enough to step up.
:lol Well, that works until you run into people behind cover, snipers, someone with a pump action shotty, or a bunch of someones with shotties. :p

And you can aim while still locked on don't ya know. Just move the right stick. Very easy to shoot people's arms while still being able to see how much health they have.
Yeah, but it snaps back. Waste of ammo! And free aim is more accurate when hitting specific parts.

Btw- you can set your free and auto aim sensitivity in the pause menu.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Son of Godzilla said:
Well consider me dense. Spell it out please. And use spoilers if you must.

ok here it is

you need to have all abilities from friends unlocked... dwayne is listed as excluded. you can get him to die from the pbx/dwayne dilemma. but Roman is in there too :( from which i deduct that he's gonna bite the dust too, or at least that he can die

Nah. I'm guessing you're referring to someone being listed as excluded from something.

Don't worry about it. Promise.

I seriously hope you're right :)

voltron said:
:D thats amazing.

Have you
got up to the bit where you find out what her real job is yet?
If you havent and it let you kill her - well, Im stunned.

No, I haven't found out what you just asked. But I knew ABOUT it beforehand.

I'm not sure if the game autosaved after she died, after work, I'll go back and see if she's dead still.

Darunia said:
ok here it is

you need to have all abilities from friends unlocked... dwayne is listed as excluded. you can get him to die from the pbx/dwayne dilemma. but Roman is in there too :( from which i deduct that he's gonna bite the dust too, or at least that he can die

Eh,
Roman hasn't let me drive a cab since his first depot.

voltron

The-Switcher said:
No, I haven't found out what you just asked. But I knew ABOUT it beforehand.

I'm not sure if the game autosaved after she died, after work, I'll go back and see if she's dead still.

I don think its giving anything away to say that a bunch missions are triggered by your involvement with her... and if shes really dead then Id be very interested to see how they handle that. Either you just wont get that mission string or theyll have another way to introduce a specific character to you.

Let us know what happen anyway.

LJ11

AniHawk said:
Like holding a button to run. Who puts that in a game where you have analog sticks? Just seems lazy to me.

When you play online you jog without holding the A button, sprinting requires you to hold the A button, so I guess it was a design choice just for SP. Having to hold A gets irritating, Niko controls like a tank if you don't hold it down so you're forced to do it throughout the game.

I just realized that when you're chasing someone in a car the cinematic lock-on button also locks your fire on the car when you start shooting. You have to adjust still, but it makes it easier.

Also I wasn't using the R3 zoom-in thing until Three Leaf Cloaver and it's really freaking cool. M4 has a nice zoom.

Hey, anybody else remember that in one of the first previews for the game they showed off that you could climb telephone poles? Anybody done that? I haven't found one that I could climb. Maybe it happens in a mission at some point? WTF?

Smokey

???

What did I spoil? It's in the guide in a pull out sheet if I spoiled something someone let me know and I will edit it out. I hadn't seen what it took to get 100% in the thread so I thought it might help out some.

voltron

Smokey Bones said:
???

What did I spoil? It's in the guide in a pull out sheet if I spoiled something someone let me know and I will edit it out. I hadn't seen what it took to get 100% in the thread so I thought it might help out some.

ffs, they already ascertained that nothing was spoiled. What, did you pick and choose the posts you read after yours or something? You read the one that implied there may have been a spoiler but you clearly didnt read the 3 or 4 others that pointed out that there was no spoiler.

This game/thread does things to people. Strange things.

Son of Godzilla said:
You didn't think you'd have to do everything in the game to have done everything in the game?

The fact that certain strings are optional for certain characters usually only means one thing.

But in this instance I was mistaken.

ElyrionX

One of the most amazing moments occurred when I tried calling
Gerry
and couldn't get through to him and shortly after found out from the radio that he was arrested. A few hours of ingame time later,
Packie
calls me and tells me the news as well but I already knew. How awesome is that?

Jeff Gerstmann posted this on his blog:

GiantBomb said:
The story is what I came to see. And I’m having trouble putting my feelings for this game’s story into words right now. I’ll spare you the fumbling and just say that it’s probably the greatest game story of all time, both in content and how it’s integrated into the rest of the game.

All those early reviews, where everyone tossed out the highest score they could give, left me scratching my head a bit in the game’s early hours. But I get it now. I understand.

I think I've come to the same conclusion.

Initially I wasn't that impressed but as the story and characters within evolve, the more I realise the minor faults are completely erroneous. Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are the only games in recent history that have enveloped me with such a believable world.

Scotch

I bought the PS3 version, and after finishing the game I must say I kinda miss Achievements right now. I don't care about Gamerscore at all, but it's nice to have some sort of reward for doing the optional missions and stuff. I think Rockstar should have build in some rewards themselves like weapons at your hideout.

voltron

Scotch said:
I bought the PS3 version, and after finishing the game I must say I kinda miss Achievements right now. I don't care about Gamerscore at all, but it's nice to have some sort of reward for doing the optional missions and stuff. I think Rockstar should have build in some rewards themselves like weapons at your hideout.

jokes on you. Why you would buy the non-DLC version if you had the option of either is beyond me.

Opus Angelorum said:
Jeff Gerstmann posted this on his blog:

I think I've come to the same conclusion.

Initially I wasn't that impressed but as the story and characters within evolve, the more I realise the minor faults are completely erroneous. Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are the only games in recent history that have enveloped me with such a believable world.

I agree with this in spades. Such subtlety, such depth in characters, it's pretty much unprecedented. Even Half Life and BioShock deal (very well, naturally) in some pretty standard pulp characters. This game vividly illustrates so many naturalistic characters, I mean, there's just no other game that's ever had this level of reliability.

Scotch

voltron said:
jokes on you. Why you would buy the non-DLC version if you had the option of either is beyond me.
Because my PS3 doesn't sound like a jet engine, and I can turn it on without fear of it breaking all the time.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Does
Roman get shot at the wedding either way?

I think I have two missions left. The car chase sequences have remained overly scripted to the bitter end but other than that the game is outstanding.

HugBasket

Banned
autoaim is bullshit in multiplayer

if people insist on allowing it i'm not even going to bother playing this game online, so fucking dumb

Scotch

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't think we're allowed to do that here. Seperate thread and all.
Yeah sorry, don't want to derail the thread. I was just annoyed by voltron's response.

Mooreberg said:
Does
Roman get shot at the wedding either way?
No, it depends on what you chose at the Deal/Revenge mission.

pn18

Banned
How to get those special abilities?

Is it possible to get 100% respect/sympathy after completing the story (I'm ignoring all their calls right now...) ?

Barrett2

So is the PS3 multi-player basically busted at this point? Every day I try to log into a few games, but only one time did it work. I occasionally get into a lobby before it craps out, but never into any actual games, other than one time, five days ago. What gives?

voltron

Scotch said:
Yeah sorry, don't want to derail the thread. I was just annoyed by voltron's response.

Well you didnt convince me, but I probably came off more hostile than I intended. So many stupid questions and stuff in this thread just kinda had me annoyed.

The Walk Free achievement can be got in about 30 seconds.

Go to the airport. Go to the leftest side of the runway (without getting close enough to trigger the 4 stars), look for a bike. Jump on bike. Drive on to run way, go full speed to the west side of the map (the side facing water). Go as fast as you can, hit the ramp at the end of the runway, and with a bit of luck you'll go flying out of the police radar, jump off the bike and avoid the boats on the radar. Took me a couple of attempts but it's how I did it.

Smokey

voltron said:
ffs, they already ascertained that nothing was spoiled. What, did you pick and choose the posts you read after yours or something? You read the one that implied there may have been a spoiler but you clearly didnt read the 3 or 4 others that pointed out that there was no spoiler.

This game/thread does things to people. Strange things.

Says the guy flipping out for no reason :lol :lol

painey

oh MAN! Hating the Haters is my favourite mission in ANY GTA! WOW :D The only problem is i skipped the end of the mid mission cut scene and the only video online of it skips it too! Amazing mission :lol :lol

Any acheivement that involves wanted levels like the 6 star or evading 4 stars all you have to do is get on the train tracks in a car. Done, the police cant do crap to you up there.

pn18 said:
How to get those special abilities?

Is it possible to get 100% respect/sympathy after completing the story (I'm ignoring all their calls right now...) ?

Yeah, I was wondering this as well. Do you have access to everyone after the story ends?

MiamiWesker said:
Any acheivement that involves wanted levels like the 6 star or evading 4 stars all you have to do is get on the train tracks in a car. Done, the police cant do crap to you up there.

You can't escape the radar though, can you? Which stops you getting the Walk Free achievement.

I just got the achievement for flying under all the bridges. So much fun.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Prvt.Pegleg said:
no, depends on if you killed dimitri or not

alternative spoiler:
kate dies if you seek revenge on dimitri

Can you still do the taxi side missions?

Also wish I knew about the "Liberty City Minute" thing, this is the first time I haven't blasted through a GTA's main missions because of a million other games coming out (the advantage of not being a fall release) and I'm getting punished for it. :lol

Tr4nce

Brucie is one of the coolest characters I have ever seen in a GTA game. I love how hyper active he is, but I can understand why people would not like him.

So what's with this apparent bug which makes that you can not load your save file? Any solutions? Does backing the save file up onto a USB stick help?

Also
The mission where you have to park the rigged truck into the garage at the second island. WOW. Fucking amazing. I blew up the garage and then took a taxi back home, and it looked spookily real sometimes. Are there going to be more awesome missions?
This game is so awesome, and sometimes it can look and feel so real. I'm still loving it.

Edit: I also had one weird moment. I was walking somewhere near my safehouse, when somehow there appeared this blue dot on the radar with the word 'friend' next to it. So I go there and see this little cut scene, and the friend blabs something about immigrants, and then he decides to give me a 100 bucks. So fucking awesome.

kylej

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Brucie is one of the coolest characters I have ever seen in a GTA game. I love how hyper active he is, but I can understand why people would not like him.

I've got the abs of a 17 year old and the forehead of a toddler, bro.

Top Bottom