• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Tobor

Prvt.Pegleg said:
i like having playboy's safehouse but god damn, dwayne is an annoying crybaby bitch

ahh, so
is there a mission tree based on the choice? Or are they just play pals afterwards?

Sorry for a bunch of quick one off posts but they all just happened one after another. Kiki is also quite funny. The moment you stop dating her for a while she calls up and is angry and accuses you of "fucking other bitches". Well she is right so...

Cipher

Tobor said:
What's the GAF consensus on
killing Playboy or Dwayne
???

I killed Playboy over Dwayne. Getting another safehouse, having a friend who can send backup to your position and getting the chance to dress up Niko as Claude from GTA3 far outweigh a large some of money. That could just be me though.

_RT_

Snidely Whiplash said:
Has anyone else not been able to link their PSN ID to their Social Club account?

Yup. Having the same problem.
I've brought it up twice in this thread, but I haven't seen a solution yet.

At least I know I'm not going crazy.

Meier said:
Omg, I just died during the
Heat mission
. That was so fucking long too... made it all the way out of the
service exit
and now I have to do it all again. Brutal. :*(
On my second try I got into a car and made it to the bridge, where a cop rammed me off into the river. I swam to shore, but Val and Slick weren't so lucky.

:((((((

But I got it on the third try. Great mission.

Phthisis

This may have been answered already, but does anybody know why I can't ever get into a multiplayer game? Half the time I try to join and it tells me that the game is no longer available, and the other half of the time, I end up in a room by myself.

Gowans tried to invite me a bunch of times, and during the loading screen I could hear the voice chat, but then it would either bounce me back to single player or put me in a room all alone. Haven't had any luck today joining games. Anyone know why this is happening?

Diablos

Haha, Michelle is like the easiest date ever. I can crash the car 100 times, run over people, take her to burger shot and I still get some! Woo!

dagZ

Phthisis said:
This may have been answered already, but does anybody know why I can't ever get into a multiplayer game? Half the time I try to join and it tells me that the game is no longer available, and the other half of the time, I end up in a room by myself.

Gowans tried to invite me a bunch of times, and during the loading screen I could hear the voice chat, but then it would either bounce me back to single player or put me in a room all alone. Haven't had any luck today joining games. Anyone know why this is happening?

Possibly your NAT settings? Check to see if there open.

and does anyone know if you can have two different game saves, one completed and new game?

Phthisis

dagZ said:
Possibly your NAT settings? Check to see if there open.

and does anyone know if you can have two different game saves, one completed and new game?

They are. The thing is, I was able to play multiplayer on launch night just fine and I haven't adjusted anything since.

G-Bus

Banned
Is the weapons delivery thing someones perk for being good friends with or do I get it further into the game? I'm about 40% complete, got all 3 islands. I could really use something like this.

dagZ

ZOMBIE:

zombie1.jpg

zombie4.jpg

AND WARNING: WEIRD ANGLE

zombie3.jpg

Choc

Banned
HUGE GIGANTIC SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT FINISHED

I chose revenge and as you know Kate dies. For those who went the other way, does Kate live and does Niko end up with her? I'd play through it myself but i forgot to keep a save with that point :(

Is she still around when yo uget back into the world as a girlfriend?

G-Bus said:
Is the weapons delivery thing someones perk for being good friends with or do I get it further into the game? I'm about 40% complete, got all 3 islands. I could really use something like this.

yes,
jacob

Fifty

G-Bus said:

I got it way way earlier. You just have to have
over 75% "like" with Little Jacob. I think I only phoned him up once or twice to get it up high enough. Did you hang up on any of his phone calls?

G-Bus

Banned
Fifty said:
I got it way way earlier. You just have to have
over 75% "like" with Little Jacob. I think I only phoned him up once or twice to get it up high enough.
Did you hang up on any of his phone calls?

Maybe just a couple.... :D

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Tobor said:
What's the GAF consensus on
killing Playboy or Dwayne
???
A question regarding this:
I killed Dwayne.... was I supposed to actually kill him? Because I didn't wait for him to say anything before I busted a buckshot into his chest. Playboy didn't seem to like that he died and he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. :(

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just finished (looks like I had one mission left for the past day and didn't realize it). I wish they didn't just do autosaves after some of the important mission decisions, I'd like to see how the alternative course of events went but my manual saves prior to that are way back.

Am I forgetting something or
did nothing ever happen to the Bulgarin guy? If he died earlier I'm completely forgetting it.

I'll see if the multiplayer has gotten any less flaky, the only thing I've gotten to work are free mode and a few games with somebody on my friends list. Trying to get into team deathmatch games always throws me back to a safehouse.

Brashnir

I just ran into a really weird bug.

Warning - Major End Game Spoilers:

After finishing the game, with Kate dead (does she die if you choose to take the money instead of killing Dmitri btw?) She calls me up for a date. We go out, and both characters act like nothing weird is going on. This is after discussing Kate's death with Packie and everything.

Choc

Banned
Downloadable content, again spoilers for those who have not finished

Guys, where do you see the DLC can fit in. I can't really. The game doesn't really leave itself open to a continuation, Niko either kills Pegerino or Dimitri (or both depending on which way you go) and he was explaining to Kate that he wants to get out of his life of crime and start again (no doubt to impress her and try and win her over). So the game kind of finishes.

Does anyone think a spin off could happen, you play the same storyline from a different characters perspective? or what? Where do we go from here?

Mooreberg

Brashnir said:

After finishing the game, with Kate dead (does she die if you choose to take the money instead of killing Dmitri btw?) She calls me up for a date. We go out, and both characters act like nothing weird is going on. This is after discussing Kate's death with Packie and everything.

She doesn't go to the wedding if you pick the money, and Roman gets murdered instead.

It may not be a bug, it might be so you can get the 100% fondness or whatever it is called after you've done the main story.

Guys, where do you see the DLC can fit in. I can't really. The game doesn't really leave itself open to a continuation, Niko either kills Pegerino or Dimitri (or both depending on which way you go) and he was explaining to Kate that he wants to get out of his life of crime and start again (no doubt to impress her and try and win her over). So the game kind of finishes.

Does anyone think a spin off could happen, you play the same storyline from a different characters perspective? or what? Where do we go from here?

I never bought the Mass Effect DLC but doesn't that just add a new area you can go to regardless of where you are in the main game? I have a feeling that is how GTA4 DLC will work. There is no way they're going to limit it to making sense only to the people who finished the game.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just got through
killing
Vlad and finding those flatscreens. The game has been fairly easy so far. The only annoyances were
getting trapped by the cops when I picked up Roman's first friend. Fucking ridiculous, the camera was all over the god damn place. Then I got killed by Vlad's guards 3 times because I didn't have my god damn pistol drawn in time! wtf!

I really like Niko. The guy doesn't take shit from anybody. He's proving to Roman how to grow a pair of balls. i haven't really done much outside the story missions (just kinda blazing through them to catch up with all you guys) but it's good so far. The script isn't quite mind blowing just yet, but it never lingers on one person too long, I like that. I haven't been hanging out with michelle
somebody spoiled for me that she was a cop, so fuck her. Never seeing her again unless I have too
but that's cool. I'm gonna try hanging out with Little Jacob some more (surprised i met him so early in the game) for the benefits (despite how fucking hard it is to drive and read his text at the same time).

one thing I don't like is, when walking up to somebody's location, like Little jacob, I'll get a call from Vlad right when I'm about to enter a mission. Then he gets pissed about it! Like, fuck, i'm in the middle of something! It'd be nice if you could turn your phone off for a sec.

Wollan

Regarding Bulgarin,
you don't actually ever see or meet him do you? I see some people here raising questions around him but he was just a business partner to Dimitri, Bulgarin was in charge of the people smuggling in the Mediterranean and he thinks Niko needs to pay due to one ship sinking in the Adriatic.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
holy shit it's unreal what kind of backlash this game is getting here and on other forums

it seems I'm part of the minority who absolutely loves the game, despite its flaws

it's the first gta game I'm gonna finish since the 2D days, so much more impressed by this than the ones in the III-family

Mooreberg

Wollan said:
Regarding Bulgarin,
you don't actually ever see or meet him do you? I see some people here raising questions around him but he was just a business partner to Dimitri, Bulgarin was in charge of the people smuggling in the Mediterranean and he thinks Niko needs to pay due to one ship sinking in the Adriatic.

I thought he was in some cutscene where you go through with delivering the kidnap victim to her father but get nothing out of it. Could be a DLC thing anyway since I don't remember the guy getting killed.

holy shit it's unreal what kind of backlash this game is getting here and on other forums

it seems I'm part of the minority who absolutely loves the game, despite its flaws

I love the game too but I don't get how people can liked how pre-canned all of the chases were. For a lot of them, it literally did not matter what you did (other than not smashing your car up) before a certain cut scene happened or a particular area was reached.

Halvie

Banned
Game is getting a little better imo. I am around 25% and started getting drawn into the story a tad more. Brucie is funny as fuck. I find driving much easier if in first person view. I also think the city looks a lot better while driving around...feels more life like. Music is getting pretty repetitive though. I wish there were less commercials.

Darunia said:

it's the first gta game I'm gonna finish since the 2D days, so much more impressed by this than the ones in the III-family

Same here my friend. No game is technically perfect, and in GTA's case I've already managed to overlook its few flaws in light of its otherwise amazing gameplay, graphics, story, and atmosphere.

Brashnir

Wollan said:
Regarding Bulgarin,

he's in 2 cut scenes. the one where Dmitri betrays you, and then later when you do the dropoff of the girl for the diamonds.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I love the game too but I don't get how people can liked how pre-canned all of the chases were. For a lot of them, it literally did not matter what you did (other than not smashing your car up) before a certain cut scene happened or a particular area was reached.
I do find this annoying, particularly since most of the time you're driving Roman's piece of shit car or little jacob's slow ass car, and therefore losing the guy or crashing the car to shit is too real of a possibility. Fucking annoying, since all youu gotta do it follow them. Can't even kill them - where's the freedom in that!?!

Darunia said:

It's just a lot easier to say what you don't like about something than what you do like. I can whine all day about the lack of a checkpoint system and the repatative missions, but I can't sum up just how awesome the game is easily. I mean, I really love it. But it has more than a few flaws that have been overlooked by some people.

BobsRevenge said:
A question regarding this:
I killed Dwayne.... was I supposed to actually kill him? Because I didn't wait for him to say anything before I busted a buckshot into his chest. Playboy didn't seem to like that he died and he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. :(
I went the other way on that one, but I understand that that guy ignores you after the mission. Sounds like you did it right.

BirdFlu

Banned
How do you trigger the assassination missions? I'm at the payphone and it's ringing with the yellow mission marker arrow, but nothing happens when i step onto it or press any button. Help?

Brashnir

Choc said:

You play as Little Jacob, star.

HugBasket

Banned
Choc said:

more tv shows, comedy acts, visitable buildings, side missions

the main story may not continue but I'd pay for more tv shows for sure.

BirdFlu said:
How do you trigger the assassination missions? I'm at the payphone and it's ringing with the yellow mission marker arrow, but nothing happens when i step onto it or press any button. Help?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought the assassination missions require you to wear a suit. Or maybe that was a different guy's requirements.

Wollan said:
Regarding Bulgarin,
You see him on a few occasions for a few quick moments.
Choc said:

You are forgetting the fact that
Bulgarin is still alive.
[B
Brashnir said:

[/B]

That's weird.
That didn't happen to me. She is gone from my game. She doesn't have a special ability so it doesn't matter whether or not she has full liking of you, and she is not essential to getting 100%.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
TheGreatDave said:
It's just a lot easier to say what you don't like about something than what you do like. I can whine all day about the lack of a checkpoint system and the repatative missions, but I can't sum up just how awesome the game is easily. I mean, I really love it. But it has more than a few flaws that have been overlooked by some people.

Agreed, agreed. I could make a checkpoint list about things I don't like too, but there's just so much stuff I do enjoy. In the grand scheme of things, this game does so many things right. When I sit down to do 'just one mission', I end up wasting half of my day. Think that says enough.

I do agree that the scripted nature of the chases can be really annoying. For instance I had the Subway bike chase mission just now, and I was wondering if I should even bother pointing my machine gun at the bikers, sometimes your targets are really immune to damage. Same with Bernie's big gay boat chase, I was shooting them the first try, but it appears I have to follow them to some preset point after which they become cannon fodder.

There's no way you know what to do sometimes.

Speaking of that biker chase mission through the subway, it took me three tries to pass it because twice I rammed head-on into an oncoming train. :lol

Top Bottom