• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

woodchuck

man, Final Interview is a bitch.

it was pretty tough trying to escape from the law firm. once i managed to get out, i stole a cop car and my wanted level was at 5. i called up Brucie to pick me up in a helicopter and right when i was about to reach him, the cops blew up my car :lol

i replayed it again and noticed a subway entrance. i ran into that and just started running in the tunnels until i escaped the search radius

Chris R

Two quick "spoiler"ish questions, even though its only like 10% in...

Doing a mission for Vlad
chasing the guy and you can save or kill him... are there implications that prevent you from getting 100%???

Also, will
Roman ever stop calling me asking me to go drink? I hate how he calls like every half hour and I always say no :lol

Eric WK

Digital Limit said:
What's a good way to earn some cash?

Just keep playing. You should never be short on money unless you're dying often.

Doing a mission for Vlad
chasing the guy and you can save or kill him... are there implications that prevent you from getting 100%???

You can still get 100%/

WrikaWrek

Banned
Welcome to burger shot mofocaaaa

I love going to that place with the black dude.

Eric WK said:
Just keep playing. You should never be short on money unless you're dying often.

Yeah. I mean, i spend a lot of money on guns and ammo and it always seemed like i could buy the world anyway.

There's not enough ways to spend money in this game.

First Mission for Dwayne:

The mission was easy and all, but after that, I go into a Cab and the news talk about the mission, and the violence that happened, because it was in front of an arcade, they blamed videogames
:lol

Also, the Comedy show was actually a little bit funny. I went once, and laughed at the commando without pants :D

But the funniest thing that they made in the game is getting drunk. I just love Nicos talk and calling for a cab

"Yoooo yellow caaar"

"Heeey taxi...cab"

or when you get drunk with (girl)friends and they stark talking trash :D

Digital Limit said:
What's a good way to earn some cash?
just slam through the missions till you meet packie and do Three Leaf Clover. After that you're swimming in $.

Outside of that, you can rob registers by pressing L1 when you're next to them. I heard the car-jacking missions Brucie hooks you up with pay well, too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
rhfb said:
Also, will
Roman ever stop calling me asking me to go drink? I hate how he calls like every half hour and I always say no :lol

Lol, don't think you really need the spoiler tags there mate, it's a very early feature not a plot point.

Instead of constantly saying no to Roman, say yes at first then call him back and cancel. Saying no lowers your friendship rating, whereas the characters have no problem with you calling them back 5 seconds later and blowing them off.

Just been tearing it up in GTA Race, bloody hell that is a greifers paradise. I don't usually fuck with people that much but this game mode demands and sick and destructive approach. Just played a game where I got into 1st on a freeway and managed to kill everyone behind me with some very risky grenades. Then they all quit. *sigh* Last night I had a game in times square where i camped out on top of a bus with a machine gun, shooting racers in the face as they drove by. That game was more fun though and laughs were had by all.

Is anyone else noticing that the ranked game system is a little broken? Every time I play I'm starting in a room by myself and it can often take minutes to find more than a handful of players (and that handful will almost never wait to find more before quitting out). Player matches seem to be a bit more populated but then that means that I can't get the online achievements.

BeeDog

Eric WK said:
If you let him live he shows up as a random character later on, just like all of the similar decisions. They don't count towards 100% completion, though.

Thanks for the answer.

A quick follow-up one now:
I'm on that "Photograph of A Killer"-something mission (for UL Paper) where you have to kill a dude named Dimayev. It seems you can let him live, what happens if I do that in this case?

Spoo

woodchuck said:

it was pretty tough trying to escape from the law firm. once i managed to get out, i stole a cop car and my wanted level was at 5. i called up Brucie to pick me up in a helicopter and right when i was about to reach him, the cops blew up my car :lol

This is the mission where you have to
send your resume in, and get a suit
, right?

Funny thing about it.
When I went to kill the guy, I killed him and then shot through the window in his office and jumped out. Ran to a car, and didn't have to deal with basically any resistance.
Love how you can control your own destiny sometimes in this game :D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Spoo said:
This is the mission where you have to
send your resume in, and get a suit
, right?

Funny thing about it.
When I went to kill the guy, I killed him and then shot through the window in his office and jumped out. Ran to a car, and didn't have to deal with basically any resistance.
Love how you can control your own destiny sometimes in this game :D

I just knifed him, and walked right out the way I came in. No stars, etc. :D

woodchuck said:

i replayed it again and noticed a subway entrance. i ran into that and just started running in the tunnels until i escaped the search radius

All you really needed was a knife. Silent kill and walk right out.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Question about Michelle (probably not even a spoiler, but tagging anyway)

Is there any point in taking her to eat or whatever and sleeping with her? Yeah, it was fun once but now it's just boring. Does she become useful or can I just ignore her and not regret it later?

atomsk

Party Pooper
alr1ghtstart said:
I just knifed him, and walked right out the way I came in. No stars, etc. :D

walking out of there after stabbing him like a total badass was awesome. i was expecting a wanted level to show up any moment. :lol

Weenerz

Banned
WTF is up with
Stevie

I get a message from him about stealing a car, it was the first msg from him I've ever gotten. Where do I take it? I'm not getting any emails or phone calls from him or anything and he isn't on my map
HALP!

Nevermind, I got it. There was a
garage icon
on the top of the map, real unhelpful

woodchuck

riskVSreward said:
All you really needed was a knife. Silent kill and walk right out.

i beat him with a baseball bat. i figured that was silent enough. but when i retrieved the files, his secretary would always keep opening the door and yelling.

Funny thing about it. When I went to kill the guy, I killed him and then shot through the window in his office and jumped out. Ran to a car, and didn't have to deal with basically any resistance. Love how you can control your own destiny sometimes in this game

i thought about that but i was afraid i'd die. also, most of the glass in the building is bullet proof apparently

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
:lol Darko Mission:
Since I made my choice with darko i figured that was the final mission... I dropped off Roman now what? How do I get it to go further? I accidentally read the spoilers a few pages back thinking I was done with the main story.

John Dunbar said:
Question about Michelle (probably not even a spoiler, but tagging anyway)

Is there any point in taking her to eat or whatever and sleeping with her? Yeah, it was fun once but now it's just boring. Does she become useful or can I just ignore her and not regret it later?

ehhh.... I don't know what to answer because... well... ehhh...

you just do what you want to do alright? myself, I love michelle. I will always love her, no matter what. I just love her.

Hootie

Do I have to do the Assassination Missions to progress the main story? I've completed 87 story missions and I think I'm near the end. I've done all the missions for
Phil Bell, Pegarino (sp), Gambetti, Bernie, etc.
. No other mission icons are up right now.

Brashnir

Hootie said:
Do I have to do the Assassination Missions to progress the main story? I've completed 87 story missions and I think I'm near the end. I've done all the missions for
Phil Bell, Pegarino (sp), Gambetti, Bernie, etc.
. No other mission icons are up right now.

no, just chill out, you'll get a call soon.

Question about Playboy X/Dwayne. I know, it's about the 1000th. Sorry.

I had the chat with Playboy and Dwayne called me, but when do I get the chance to actually decided and kill one of them. It's been awhile and nothing has really come of it. Do I have to initiate it on my own?

Barakov

MaizeRage25 said:

I had the chat with Playboy and Dwayne called me, but when do I get the chance to actually decided and kill one of them. It's been awhile and nothing has really come of it. Do I have to initiate it on my own?

I believe you get a call from
Playboy and Nico says he's made up his mind. Then a red X and a red D appear on the map. You choose one of them, go there do the deed and then the game moves on from there.

MaizeRage25 said:

You'll get a call.

end game spoiler
Great, three endings and none of them is the 'good' ending. :/ Very disappointed in that. I don't know what I was expecting but I think its endlessly lame. You don't have to have a happily ever after ending to have closure. You could end the game with a little bit of money, Roman is married, and you have a girl to TRY to start over with. Its not like that is so unbelievable. 'If the main character is happy at the end, its not art.' fucking lame

Hootie

Brashnir said:
no, just chill out, you'll get a call soon.

Oh crap I got the mission, should I
kill Brevic or let him live? Are there negative ramifications doing one instead of the other? Please try to tell me without spoiling anything :D

Hootie said:
Oh crap I got the mission, should I
kill Brevic or let him live? Are there negative ramifications doing one instead of the other? Please try to tell me without spoiling anything :D
It was my understanding that you can't get 100% if you
kill him
which I found to be fucking stupid. Its like its not a choice at all. I could be wrong but that's what I gathered from reading.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH why the hell is the driving missions the WORST part of this fracking game!!!!!!

edit: wow, glad I am past that part. :D

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
BobTheFork said:
It was my understanding that you can't get 100% if you
kill him
which I found to be fucking stupid. Its like its not a choice at all. I could be wrong but that's what I gathered from reading.

You are fucking shitting me

BobTheFork said:
end game spoiler
Great, three endings and none of them is the 'good' ending. :/ Very disappointed in that. I don't know what I was expecting but I think its endlessly lame. You don't have to have a happily ever after ending to have closure. You could end the game with a little bit of money, Roman is married, and you have a girl to TRY to start over with. Its not like that is so unbelievable. 'If the main character is happy at the end, its not art.' fucking lame
3! I thought there was just 2 endings

Weenerz

Banned
Roman has to be my 2nd favorite character :lol

I am riding in a helicopter for the government and Roman calls asking me if I want to go to the strip club, I tell him Michelle or Karen and the government really have me by the balls, so Roman says "They really have me by the balls here too" and sends him a picture of a stripper
:lol :lol :lol

BeeDog

BeeDog said:
Thanks for the answer.

A quick follow-up one now:
I'm on that "Photograph of A Killer"-something mission (for UL Paper) where you have to kill a dude named Dimayev. It seems you can let him live, what happens if I do that in this case?

Anyone? Would really like this answered fast, since I "can't" continue my gaming session until I know this (some kind of OCD).

AndyIsTheMoney said:
strategy guide says only
two endings
??? Well, it was in a review (looking for it), someone specifically said IGN is wrong
there are 3 endings not 2. I didn't kill Darko, but I thought that when you killed him, it opened a new mission set that had its own ending. Sorry if I'm totally off base, I only saw both ending from the money/revenge choice.
I;m going to start over now and do all the side crap and take a long time checking out everything in the city.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
vumpler said:
Darko Mission:
Since I made my choice with darko i figured that was the final mission... I dropped off Roman now what? How do I get it to go further? I accidentally read the spoilers a few pages back thinking I was done with the main story.
Need help with what to do after the darko mission ^

Just thought I'd post my thoughts after finishing. Longish

Very well done and enjoyable game especially in a few specific areas. I'm consider myself more of a dabbler when it comes to games. Although I play a lot of them, I rarely tend to finish them as most games imo don't really have a compelling hook to drive me to complete them. Even in prior GTA's I've been known to take mammoth breaks after getting frustrated with certain aspects of the game. I've got Halo 3 and COD 4 sitting here untouched except for their multiplayer sections so when a game compels me to finish it and in a relatively short amount of time, that's something I take note of.

As far as breaking the game down, there is no doubt in my mind that the single biggest flaw of prior GTA's have been improved a hell of a lot and I'm talking about the combat. The more I played, the more and more I enjoyed it and realized it is a really comprehensive system of combat that allows a great deal of freedom. The lock on/free aim combo is very full featured and I used both through the game. The cover system while problematic in some cases due to the different geometry of the world really is extremely useful, fun, and creates some damn cinematic battles. It really is night and day. People who complain that the combat system is broken or is no better than other GTA's lose all credibility to me or are misremembering how combat worked in prior games. It is a huge difference and makes combat which was a weakness of the game a strength. There is still lots of room for improvement. The controls are a bit overly complex imo for it when you take into account the lockon. And moving around the environment and in cover is a little trickier than it needs to be. But it is a big step up from where they were and I can only imagine it will be even better in the next game.

Another major part of GTA is of course the driving, and while I wouldn't consider the total improvement that combat was it is different and does bring some things to the table. The weird thing is it totally depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles and bikes feel dead on. But some feel sort of "skitchy" or too "squirrely". Sadly a lot of the bikes fall into this category for me and I found myself not wanting to use bikes as much as in prior GTA's because of this. All of the really good cars handle pretty damn well though so I think it's more a case of working on the physics or handling characteristics to get those corrected or make them more enjoyable. The driving while shooting controls are also a little difficult. Perhaps that should be challenging but right now it feels clumsy because I have to hold certain buttons while driving and it sorts of feels like patting my head while rubbing my stomach at the same time. Same with trying to chase somebody down and use that focus button to try to center the camera on them.

The mission structure and gameplay choices seems to have been paired down and more focused for GTA 4. This has an upside and a down side to me. It managed to get rid of a lot of the mission types I really hated or just found frustrating that would often stop me from playing past ones. On the negative side, it reduces the variety type of missions which is a bad thing Like the mission where you try to stay on the truck and have to climb forward on it without getting thrown off was awesome. I wanted more variety in the missions like that. This is partially due to some of the features not making it over from SA. There is no stealth aspect to the game and while I understand why they focused and removed some of these things to get GTA 4 done, its still a little disappointing that you don't have the variety of missions like you did in SA. Especially stealth missions. This GTA was also a little easier to me than some prior ones but that also may have to do with the improved combat controls which meant I could handle the combat missions a lot better than I ever could before.

The area outside of combat where the game took the biggest leaps imo are in storytelling. This is one fine GTA game imo in that regard and was the biggest aspect as usual in a GTA title that kept me hooked. They finally were able to setup and tell the story of a lead character who has a viewpoint and feels like he is able to change both the story and himself. All prior GTA's for me have sort of felt like the main character was simply a guy who things happen around. The other characters are the ones with emotion and are interesting. In this GTA though the lead character is the most interesting one and he interacts with the world. That is the way it should be and that is where most storytelling in games fail and this GTA worked exceptionally. The ability to make moral choices is huge to immersing yourself in this game.

The moment when you are on the way to the airport to kill the guy or not is one of the best moments of a videogame I've ever experienced. My heart was pumping. And when i got there and the guy was in front of me I really didn't know what I was going to do. Thats a terrific level of immersion when you've been able to reach that point and do that the player. Early in the game, I had made some poor choices when the moral aspects presented themselves because I was thinking in traditional video-game terms like, oh the game probably wants me to do this because its hinting at it, or I'm going to do this because I'll probably get more good stuff If I do it. (Sort of the I better be evil/good so I can power up my evil/good side which I've become tired of in some of the moral choice RPG's out there). But what I loved about GTA 4 is that these are really moral choices you are presented with. It's beyond will I power up my light side or evil side. It's what do I believe and that's when I knew they had done something special.

Personally for me when you make that choice that is the real end of the game to me. The rest of the game that you play out is quite enjoyable and you have another great choice when you decide to kill Dimitri or not, but for me the games high water mark is the airport scene. The drive there (where Marvin Gaye's, "Inner City Blues" was playing on the radio which was a random lucky bit of perfect song choice for that moment). The decision. And the drive back in silence where Niko says to turn off the damn radio and the stupid ads. The game could have ended right there for me and I would have been happy. To be chasing a guy who haunts you the entire game from a past that has only been told by your character and to really believe in that decision and be given the option to kill or not kill him is some poetic stuff.

The actual ending ending is also quite good for me. No rah rah yeah everything is happy. You get the sense that this story is told but these characters and their trials and tribulations will continue is about as good as it gets. I thought the cheeky you won achievement and the you won line from his friends was a subtle jab at the typical gamer who wants to win and be heralded as the awesome gamer. It puts the focus right back on Niko and asks the question has he really won and at what cost. Great stuff. I hope in the future the moral choice things extends even deeper in the next GTA games and even extends beyond just who you kill but who you treat in certain manners or if you stand up to certain characters and say I'm not doing this particular mission or something. I love the notion of unintended consequences so there is a lot of room for them to expand in this area.

I have more thoughts and observations but I'll save them for later as this post is getting a bit long anyway.

I threw that dude off the building, I killed that girl in the beginning, X'ed Playboy, killed the cops brother, then killed the dude in the airport. My last level had me chase some guy with Jacob in an airplane.

What else is there?

I know I'm some thirteen thousand posts late to the party here, but as someone who has never been a real fan of the gta games, I'm just in love with this one. The world is just the most immersive and detailed thing I've ever seen. I think I might actually play this to completion.

rabhw

vumpler said:
Need help with what to do after the darko mission ^

I had the same issue, you need to do the ransom mission (white icon on the map). I have no idea why they didn't make it a different color. I spent forever because I thought that mission was a side mission only.

Rakthar

Is there a way to tell if a mission is a story mission or a side mission?

I really want to always finish all available side missions before doing the next 'major' story mission, but I can't seem to figure out what's what.

Some mission icons are colored on the minimap and some are white - are the colored ones side missions and the white ones storyline missions?

Top Bottom