• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I just picked this game up yesterday.

Holy shit. Far exceeds my expectations. So much more focused on story/characters/atmosphere as opposed to wanton mayhem. I love it, one of the best games I've played in a while and I'm only 15% done.

Cheers R*, you reinvented the series.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I got urgent questions about the Mission 'Blood Brothers'

Before I did this my Francis mission progress was at 66%, after I chose to shoot him through the head, it was at 83... Does letting him live give you another mission? Did I miss something? I can still load my previous save and kill Derrick, so if that is what must be done...

BobTheFork said:
??? Well, it was in a review (looking for it), someone specifically said IGN is wrong
there are 3 endings not 2. I didn't kill Darko, but I thought that when you killed him, it opened a new mission set that had its own ending. Sorry if I'm totally off base, I only saw both ending from the money/revenge choice.
I;m going to start over now and do all the side crap and take a long time checking out everything in the city.

i saved right before the
darko part. so ill go back there and kill him this time, and see if it opens up a new set of missions. but the strategy guide says it doesnt matter what you do to him.

Eric WK

Darunia said:
I got urgent questions about the Mission 'Blood Brothers'

Before I did this my Francis mission progress was at 66%, after I chose to shoot him through the head, it was at 83... Does letting him live give you another mission? Did I miss something? I can still load my previous save and kill Derrick, so if that is what must be done...

You're fine. Slight spoiler, but something obvious and the answer to your question:
His funeral.

The only time I wish I had the 360 version of this game is online so other people would talk. I played in a free roam game with like 7 other people and only one other person had a mic. It is getting annoying especially because Rockstar doesnt have an alternate way to talk.

rhfb said:
Two quick "spoiler"ish questions, even though its only like 10% in...

Doing a mission for Vlad
chasing the guy and you can save or kill him... are there implications that prevent you from getting 100%???

Also, will
Roman ever stop calling me asking me to go drink? I hate how he calls like every half hour and I always say no :lol
Save him. It will fuck you over if you do kill him. I was up to 70 percent until someone on here pointed out that I couldn't get 100 percent because of him.

Eric WK

dr3upmushroom said:
Save him. It will fuck you over if you do kill him. I was up to 70 percent until someone on here pointed out that I couldn't get 100 percent because of him.

That's absolutely false.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
dr3upmushroom said:

That is not true. It will NOT affect your 100% completion.

jacket320

Grimm Fandango said:
What's the deal with the sucker/stun punch? I can't get it to work again after you learn it in the mission.

Bingo! Glad I'm not the only one. I've given up and started using my shotgun.

Eric WK

dr3upmushroom said:
He's talking about Ivan the not so terrible right, he later on becomes one of the random characters, which you need to meet all of to get the 100%.

No, he does not count toward 100%. You won't get the achievement for meeting all of them, but there are four that do not count toward completion.

acevans2

Hey guys, I need help again...

Mission:
It's a mission for Francis where you need to snipe a guy in his apartment from across the street on the other roof.

Question:
I'm playing in SD (don't laugh) and I can't read the number that I need to call to get him up. What is it?

Eric WK

acevans2 said:
Hey guys, I need help again...

Mission:
It's a mission for Francis where you need to snipe a guy in his apartment from across the street on the other roof.

Question:
I'm playing in SD (don't laugh) and I can't read the number that I need to call to get him up. What is it?

I don't know the number, but you can shoot the satellite dish or TV to get him up, as well.

voltron

:lol holy shit the random moments of awesomeness that this game throws up can be just, well, awesome some times...

I went to drop a car off at the garage for
Stevie
and as I rolled up I noticed some ladies of the night loitering around. So I thought what the hell and picked up a hooker. I ended up driving to a nearby alley that led into a backyard of some dingy looking apartments... I finish my business - the hooker gets out walks away - and all is well.

Instead of taking the car to the garage however I decided to go up to my apartment.... so I go through the door to the building and who do I see walking through the lobby? The hooker that just got out of my car! Turns out the apartment backs onto that alley I just went down and after the hooker got out of my car she walked through the backyard - went through the backdoor to the apartment block and bumped into me on the way out:lol

Needless to say I shot her in the head.... guess the bitch must have scored already though as she had no cash on her.

Just that initial moment of, "hey arent you that hooker I just banged in my car?" was hilarious.

Teknoman

Linkzg said:
The only time I wish I had the 360 version of this game is online so other people would talk. I played in a free roam game with like 7 other people and only one other person had a mic. It is getting annoying especially because Rockstar doesnt have an alternate way to talk.

Its strange because there are so many team games on PS3. Either way, once voice comm gets going its tons of fun online. Bluetooth works just fine for communication when you turn up your output in the XMB to max and the volume on the set itself to max. Of course people can use a USB too, so there are alot of options.

I just hope more people get headsets and soon. I plan on playing alot of GTA IV, Wipeout HD, MGO, and Resistance 2 online.

The one thing that I love in this game is how Nico hails taxis. He screams bloody murder at the top of his lungs.

Also was driving today, saw a guy in a mini-van talking to a hooker. A deal was reached, and he invites her to come with him. Only problem is that there was a dude in the passenger seat already. She pulls him out, guy gets up and opens the door again and drags her out. Fistfight ensues, guy driving gets the hell out of dodge. I call the cops, and they come and bust the whole thing up, but only arrest the guy. Hooker gets off scott-free.

Equal rights my ass.

IAmtheFMan said:
The one thing that I love in this game is how Nico hails taxis. He screams bloody murder at the top of his lungs.

Also was driving today, saw a guy in a mini-van talking to a hooker. A deal was reached, and he invites her to come with him. Only problem is that there was a dude in the passenger seat already. She pulls him out, guy gets up and opens the door again and drags her out. Fistfight ensues, guy driving gets the hell out of dodge. I call the cops, and they come and bust the whole thing up, but only arrest the guy. Hooker gets off scott-free.

Equal rights my ass.

Nice.

But yeah, I think the cops only arrest the one they see throw the first punch.

Loudninja

IAmtheFMan said:

Equal rights my ass.

Same thing happen to me today :lol

The multiplayer in this game is so fucked up. Please tell I'm wrong about this but is there no autobalance team in effect? Can you start games with radically uneven teams or even dumb stuff like a guy on a third team and the game doesn't fix this upon start?

Everdred

Rakthar said:
Is there a way to tell if a mission is a story mission or a side mission?

I really want to always finish all available side missions before doing the next 'major' story mission, but I can't seem to figure out what's what.

Some mission icons are colored on the minimap and some are white - are the colored ones side missions and the white ones storyline missions?
bumping question, I would like to know aswell.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I just started working for Brucie. I like his missions - very simple. Show up, kill a few guys, take the car, drive home. very simply stuff.

Mikhail's a douche. As soon as I get a chance to disobey his orders, I will (Dmitri's cousin's boyfriend and the biker guy had it coming though - both pull guns on me).

I got the e-mail account all set up. Roman's email was very touching stuff. He really does care about me. i took him drinking soon after I read it.:D Afterwards, I hailed a cab, got in and then Roman shouted something and did a superman move headfirst into the front of the cab.:lol Very nice.

Teknoman

Stoney Mason said:
The multiplayer in this game is so fucked up. Please tell I'm wrong about this but is there no autobalance team in effect? Can you start games with radically uneven teams or even dumb stuff like a guy on a third team and the game doesn't fix this upon start?

Yeah. I had a 3 vs 1 challenge (I was the 1). Strangely it forced me into Metal Gear stealth mode. Ended up taking out alot of people.

Iamthegamer said:
I just started working for Brucie. I like his missions - very simple. Show up, kill a few guys, take the car, drive home. very simply stuff.

Mikhail's a douche. As soon as I get a chance to disobey his orders, I will (Dmitri's cousin's boyfriend and the biker guy had it coming though - both pull guns on me).

I got the e-mail account all set up. Roman's email was very touching stuff. He really does care about me. i took him drinking soon after I read it.:D Afterwards, I hailed a cab, got in and then Roman shouted something and did a superman move headfirst into the front of the cab.:lol Very nice.

Yeah thats true... Also I wanted to see if I could spare the biker boyfriend guy...but he took it too far.

Teknoman said:
Yeah. I had a 3 vs 1 challenge (I was the 1). Strangely it forced me into Metal Gear stealth mode. Ended up taking out alot of people.

I just don't get (well actually I do get it because the focus was most likely the single player) how they could release the multiplayer in such a messed up state. I literally could write dozens of things that are wrong with the multiplayer setup. You almost have to try to fail on purpose to do what they've done. I literally consider it unplayable until they patch even the most basic of issues and that's like putting a band-aid on after you get your arm severed off. So dissappointing. :(

SpeedingUptoStop

Teknoman said:

Yeah thats true... Also I wanted to see if I could spare the biker boyfriend guy...but he took it too far.
I can't beleive that cousin's boyfriend, Petrovic's kid, had a friend who pulled an uzi on me, the little fucker. I didn't even have a weapon drawn (I was hoping for an 'accident' on the train tracks type deal)

Eric WK

Stoney Mason said:
I just don't get (well actually I do get it because the focus was most likely the single player) how they could release the multiplayer in such a messed up state. I literally could write dozens of things that are wrong with the multiplayer setup. You almost have to try to fail on purpose to do what they've done. I literally consider it unplayable until they patch even the most basic of issues and that's like putting a band-aid on after you get your arm severed off. So dissappointing. :(

Agree completely. They really dropped the ball in terms of competitive multiplayer.

Andokuky said:
Had my first game freeze on me today. I hope it was just a random occurrence and not the beginning of the end.

I had probably two load freezes on me in my 36 hours so it's not necessarily indicative of anything.

SpeedingUptoStop

Eric WK said:
Agree completely. They really dropped the ball in terms of competitive multiplayer.
I find it to be pretty fun, just as long you're not in a room with someone who's under the age of 15. GAF should get together more often.

Teknoman said:
Its strange because there are so many team games on PS3. Either way, once voice comm gets going its tons of fun online. Bluetooth works just fine for communication when you turn up your output in the XMB to max and the volume on the set itself to max. Of course people can use a USB too, so there are alot of options.

I just hope more people get headsets and soon. I plan on playing alot of GTA IV, Wipeout HD, MGO, and Resistance 2 online.

I don't know if you are already on my friends list, but ill add you. More people who talk durring games the better.

Even the one guy in that game who did have mic called me and wouldent talk. I was starting there like a jack ass yelling "HELLO!? HELLO?!".

Iamthegamer said:
I find it to be pretty fun, just as long you're not in a room with someone who's under the age of 15. GAF should get together more often.

I can imagine that it would be loads better if you played in a group setting where it was like a GAF game or something but multiplayer games have to fun for random people when you want to hop on whenever you feel like it. They designed the whole setup (the parts of it that feel designed at least) as if it was one big private match going on and you just can't do that for a mass market game like this.

SpeedingUptoStop

Stoney Mason said:
I can imagine that it would be loads better if you played in a group setting where it was like a GAF game or something but multiplayer games have to fun for random people when you want to hop on whenever you feel like it. They designed the whole setup (the parts of it that feel designed at least) as if it was one big private match going on and you just can't do that for a mass market game like this.
True, true. It's kind of unfortunate to find so little people (worth playing with) playing it at a time. The possibilities in the game are near endless, but it's hard to find peopel to experiment with, and the options are limited ("Cars: Low amount of Stallions, Medium Amount of Stallions, High Amount Stalions" - i mean come on, I don't give a shit where I am in the city, i want custom cars)

Do any gaffers want to get a 16 player multiplayer game going tonight? We could play all sorts of gametypes and just have a fun night.

I dont have a mic unfortunately (my little brother broke one and lost two, that little fuck!) but we could still play and have fun.

My GT is "That Boy Baked". Lets all get this shit started!

btkadams

im liking this game more and more each day. ive unlocked the whole map. tbh i think the map in san andreas was better, but only because there was a larger variety (3 cities, countryside, desert). this city has a lot more inside it though which i think is sweet. its very dense. i did the
bank robbery mission today
, man was that cool.

allreal

i just beat the game. and what a wonderful game it was. one of my favorite games ever. i would say as good as san andreas during the time and feeling of playing.

questions regarding the end
so i decided to kill dimitri. and what an awesome gangster ass shit mission that was:D. if you decide to work with him is it the same outcome? are only kate/roman pegerino/dimitri switchd? or is it a completely different mission? deciding whether to play through it again.

question regarding cellphone
can you listen to the radio on the cellphone? wasnt that one of the features? or did i read something wrong?

in all honesty the game was great but the hype was too great. amazing game and a game that i will probably love forever but the hype was just to big. i have learned my lesson.

also man star junction was soooooooooo disapointing. feels so dead. the first trailer through it way out of proportion. i was so excited to unlock that part but wen i did was very meh about it.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I just cannot get over the damage models in this game. I find myself speeding into oncoming traffic just to see how bad I can fuck up a vehicle. Kudos for this R*.

G-Bus

Banned
I was doing the mission
"I need your boots, your jacket, and your bike"
or something like that. Anyways, I had failed this mission a couple times, and on my third try I decided to hang back a bit and just fallow the guy instead of trying to take him out. He gets halfway through a intersection where he just barely missed getting t-boned by a dump truck and gets t-boned by another one in the opposing lane. Killed him instantly. It was like something out of a movie.

Topher said:
I just cannot get over the damage models in this game. I find myself speeding into oncoming traffic just to see how bad I can fuck up a vehicle. Kudos for this R*.

Grab a fire truck, get some speed on a highway and head into on coming traffic. Endless fun.

I have a question because I'm too afraid to test. At which point do you lose a friend? Must the percentage reach 0%? Or will you lose that friend the moment it hits like 30 or 20%?

BakedPigeon said:
Do any gaffers want to get a 16 player multiplayer game going tonight? We could play all sorts of gametypes and just have a fun night.

I dont have a mic unfortunately (my little brother broke one and lost two, that little fuck!) but we could still play and have fun.

My GT is "That Boy Baked". Lets all get this shit started!

Can't do it tonight but wouldn't mind trying to set up a GAF night in the future.

360 Gamer Tag is CavalierReeche

SpeedingUptoStop

CowboyAstronaut said:
I have a question because I'm too afraid to test. At which point do you lose a friend? Must the percentage reach 0%? Or will you lose that friend the moment it hits like 30 or 20%?
I haven't talked to michelle at all since First Date and she just recently gave me a call after atleast a week of game time and i turned her down, didn't seem to have a huge effect. Bitch just doesn't get the message.

BTW, my gamertag is SpeedinUptoStop . I might be on late Friday or saturday, maybe sometime Thursday. EST.

BakedPigeon said:
No one wants to play some multiplayer? Well FUCK you all!

i kid i kid

Seriously though lets play, post your tags!

I have a big final tomorrow (why oh why am I typing this and not studying) and another one on Thursday. After that I'm in the clear for summer vacation.

Az987

all good things
man im so close to beating it and my xbox keeps freezing more and more everytime i play.

It went from once in a blue moon to once everytime i play. Really pissing me off

Iamthegamer said:
I haven't talked to michelle at all since First Date and she just recently gave me a call after atleast a week of game time and i turned her down, didn't seem to have a huge effect. Bitch just doesn't get the message.

BTW, my gamertag is SpeedinUptoStop . I might be on late Friday or saturday, maybe sometime Thursday. EST.

Ah, thats who you are, lol.

Good times.

Top Bottom