• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Jedeye Sniv said:
Why the hell would you want to do that?? It's in the game for a reason dude, doesn't make you any more hardcore if you don't use it!

Val
didn't use cover.
Standing in the middle of the street shooting one way, then spinning and shooting the other way
was just too much fun. I use cover on other missions, but this one, no way.

X26

Banned
R* needs to rework the monetary awards in MP. 4.5K for ~3min in Hangmans noose vs. 1k or 2K in a 10min team deathmatch, only $750 from winning a race, etc. is just silly.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm so ticked that I
killed Dwayne. Now that I know that Dwayne had more to offer I know I made the wrong choice. I even ran into his old girlfriend and helped her out again. Then when Nico is getting back into his truck he says something to himself about how maybe he should have killed Playboy instead.

Zyzyxxz

just beat the game @ around 30 hours.

The story got kinda weak at the end though.

Highlights of the game:

Definitely Three Leaf Clover mission
working with Brucie, damn he is too funny they need more missions with him
getting the M4 for the first time and the sound it makes
stunt jump with an infernus clearing the west river.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Goddammit.
What do they mean get under the fucking chopper(Little Jacob)? The boat magically slows down when I get near it.

kylej

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
working with Brucie, damn he is too funny they need more missions with him

Go drinking or hop in a helicopter with Brucie. He has a lot of hilarious dialogue you never hear in the main storyline.

The random encounter heroin chick I
gave money to so she could go back home to her parents and get sober sent me a thank you email awww. I needed that after the fucked up serial killer random encounter

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Rockstar Explains GTA IV Multiplayer [A GTA IV Multiplayer Guide]
from Kotaku by Brian Crecente

Soon after Grand Theft Auto's launch, when I went to start playing online matches, I noticed that the instruction manual was almost totally devoid of multiplayer details. In fact, the Brady Guide for the game, a virtual encyclopedia of GTA facts, was also missing any real information about multiplayer.

Normally the lack of instructions wouldn't bother me because I never read them, but the nuances of matchmaking and party formation can be a little confusing in GTA IV. Fortunately, Rockstar must have realized that they left something out in their instruction manual because they've recently published a PDF dedicated just to multiplayer gaming.

The guide is filled with interesting tips and info. For instance, they explain how Party Mode work, something that has been driving me crazy since the launch. Turns out that when playing team modes, the game tries to find a similarly sized party to match you up with. In competitive modes it just fills up the slots with people and gets you going.

There are also plenty of usefull tips in the guide, like using blip settings to tweak your difficulty setting, and how auto-aim is an "awesome feature" that is often misunderstood and absolutely doesn't level the playing field.

Hit the jump for the full guide.

Basics
• To access multiplayer in-game:
1) Press Up on the directional pad to access your mobile phone
2) Toggle to Multiplayer and press ( for PS3 or for Xbox 360) to accept
3) Choose from Player Match, Ranked, or Party Mode
4) Select from one of 14 multiplayer games and press ( for PS3 or for Xbox 360) to enter the multiplayer lobby
• The lobby is the meeting point for all players before starting a multiplayer game. Here you can see a list of who is playing and change your mode and character model options.
• To invite friends to multiplayer, you use your in-game mobile phone to look them up and then call them. (For Xbox 360 users, you can also select and invite friends via Xbox LIVE.)

Game Mode Descriptions
• Player Match – Results here do not count towards your GTA IV multiplayer ranking. There are separate leader boards for these modes. With Custom Matches, players can host matches where they can reserve spots for friends. Players can be invited into games in progress.
• Ranked – In ranked games, the more player cash a player wins, the higher their rank increases. After gaining a rank, the player unlocks more clothing options for their character. Players cannot invite friends into ranked games.
• Party Mode (2-8 players) - Players can invite their friends to a party mode by using the in-game mobile phone. (For Xbox 360 users, you can also select and invite friends via Xbox LIVE.) The players spawn in a “party area”. After the host, or “party leader”, selects a game mode, all players in the party will join that game mode. In team modes, the party will play against another party. In competitive modes, the game will be played as normal – but only players in the party will be involved, with other people allowed to join the mode until all slots have been taken.

Lobby Information
• The lobby system will only proceed if the host AND at least half of the players in the lobby are readied up. If you want to wait for more players stay un-readied in protest.
• Half of the lobby will need to manually boot a person in order to kick them from the game. In the lobby, you will be able to tell how many people have voted by the flashing icons next to their name. You can also choose to boot people in-game using the phonebook in your mobile phone.
• If you do not want any strangers to join your team then you and your friends should enter games via party mode. This mode restricts teams to only people that are in your party. Party mode will also only allow you to play with other parties of similar sizes.
• All players can invite their friends to join them. This can be done in the lobby or in the middle of games by using their mobile phone. The only exception to this is in Party Mode or in Xbox LIVE Ranked Matches.
• Custom match allows you to reserve private spots for your friends. You can also use this to ensure that you are the host of the match by selecting private slots to be > 0.

Settings
• Auto-aim is an awesome feature that is often misunderstood. It is intended to speed up the game by focusing aiming to a smaller area. It WILL NOT level the playing field. Turning this off will slow the pace of the game down and make melee combat, drive-bys, and sniper action more effective.
• If you are new to GTA multiplayer requesting that the location setting be restricted to the smaller areas (Prison, Docks, Charge Island, Colony Island, Airport, and Bohan) is the best way to go. The larger areas can be very overwhelming for new players.
• Blip settings are another great feature players can use to tailor their GTA online experience. Changing these from All to Leader, Near, or Far is almost like increasing the difficulty setting - we advise using a time limit over a point limit when using the latter two.
• We advise using the proximity voice chat setting to combat against players attempting to dominate the in-game chat with their loud family members, TVs, and music. If you need to talk trash to someone across the map with this on you can simply call them up on your in-game mobile phone.

Tips and Highlights
• All of the non-Cooperative game modes are money based. Only a team or a player can win. The one with the most money will always be the winner. In time limit games, the winner will be the one with the most money when the timer expires. In point limit games, the winner will be the one who reaches/surpasses the point limit first.
• There are 10 levels of achievement. Achievements allow you to unlock more options for clothing and characters.
• Taunts – players can press (L1 for PS3 or LB for Xbox 360) to perform a context sensitive taunt directed at the other players.

• You can talk to your friends on headsets during the modes. You can even have a one to one conversation with a friend by calling him/her through your in-game mobile phone.
• In Player Match mode, you can vote on what the next game will be using the in-game mobile phone.
• Players can set waypoints for other teammates in vehicles.
• A player’s gamertag will disappear whenever that player crouches or uses cover.

raYne

Topher said:
Could someone help with "A Revenger's Tragedy"? From my previous post. What am I doing wrong?
Uh, is that at the end when you're chasing whatshisname and
he's in the speedboat and you're on the dirtbike?

Iamthegamer said:
When do you get random encounters? Haven't had one yet.
An icon in the shape of a person shows up on the GPS map. Then you just walk up to them and it'll start a cutscene + mission.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
raYne said:
Uh, is that at the end when you're chasing whatshisname and
he's in the speedboat and you're on the dirtbike?
The last mission. Where you chase Dimitri in a speedboat and Little Jacob swoops in with a combat chopper.

raYne

Topher said:
The last mission. Where you chase Dimitri in a speedboat and Little Jacob swoops in with a combat chopper.
Yeah, I'm thinking of the "other" last mission.. heh.

What's the problem? You aren't getting there fast enough? The boat is the opposite of the bikes for speed. So you have to hold back, not forward to go faster. Or are you missing the beacon thing at the end?

atomsk

Party Pooper
so i just went on a date with
zombie kate

so bizzare.

and she still doesnt put out. next time it's a shotgun to the face. DIE ZOMBIE

raYne

atomsk said:
so i just went on a date with
zombie kate

so bizzare.

and she still doesnt put out. next time it's a shotgun to the face. DIE ZOMBIE
Welcome to the club. :lol

kylej

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Serial Killer? I heared that there was weird people arond the city that trigger events, is he one of them?

Yeah he's one of them. There are 2 parts to his story. His dialogue is a lot more disturbing than you might think.
talks about ripping out little girls intestines to feel the pain and how you can hear peoples accents in their screams

64323hjh.jpg

Those 2 green dots are where you find him ("1st" being the first encounter, etc). He only shows up after 2:30 AM. After you meet him the first time you have to go to sleep at a safehouse, then check the Liberty Tree website on the computer and read the story about
an unnamed serial killer who struck again

raYne

kylej said:
Yeah he's one of them. There are 2 parts to his story. His dialogue is a lot more disturbing than you might think.
talks about ripping out little girls intestines to feel the pain and how you can hear peoples accents in their screams

http://www.vulomedia.com/images/64323hjh.jpg

Those 2 green dots are where you find him ("1st" being the first encounter, etc). He only shows up after 2:30 AM. After you meet him the first time you have to go to sleep at a safehouse, then check the Liberty Tree website on the computer and read the story about
an unnamed serial killer who strikes again
This explains why i've never seen him. I never spent any real time in Alderny, particularly at night, since it's so damn boring/plain over there.

Just like Jersey, amirite.

On a side note, I should really start putting that whattheydontwantyoutoknow email to use. Having a location list of all the random people, weapon and armor locations, stunt jumps etc is pretty handy. :lol

kylej said:

64323hjh.jpg

He was seriously messed up

Iamthegamer said:
multiplayer info

Thx. Good info there. And they are right. The manual has no info on the multiplayer and tutorial isn't good enough to explain all the options.

Now only if they had designed the infrastructure in such a manner that made sense. They should have either matchlists or dedicated lobbies for this stuff so if you want to play with auto-aim or not it's already pre-determined based on the room or some search criteria and not just at the whim of the random room owner.

* My daily dig at their wretched multiplayer design.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stoney Mason said:

It's a shame because a lot of the modes are really fun, but so many aspects of it feel rushed. Almost would have preferred it to be a bit more polished and released as DLC a month after release.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Stoney Mason said:
Thx. Good info there. And they are right. The manual has no info on the multiplayer and tutorial isn't good enough to explain all the options.

Now only if they had designed the infrastructure in such a manner that made sense. They should have either matchlists or dedicated lobbies for this stuff so if you want to play with auto-aim or not it's already pre-determined based on the room or some search criteria and not just at the whim of the random room owner.

You, me, and soem of the GAFfers should get together tomorrow night sometime (EST). We'll show you a goodtime.:D

AstroLad said:
It's a shame because a lot of the modes are really fun, but so many aspects of it feel rushed. Almost would have preferred it to be a bit more polished and released as DLC a month after release.

If such a thing was possible I would agree. I have a few issues with some of the actual gameplay decisions they made within the mode, but I could live with it, if the connectivity and matchmaking stuff worked. 2 months or maybe even a month with dedicated focus and they could have fixed a ton of the issues but instead I fear we'll have to wait until the next GTA release a few years down the road to get a proper multiplayer mode.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stoney Mason said:
If such a thing was possible I would agree. I have a few issues with some of the actual gameplay decisions they made within the mode, but I could live with it, if the connectivity and matchmaking stuff worked. 2 months or maybe even a month with dedicated focus and they could have fixed a ton of the issues but instead I fear we'll have to wait until the next GTA release a few years down the road to get a proper multiplayer mode.

Even though it's broken in many, many ways, it's really fun when you get a party together and play the team modes.

MoogPaul

I just finished the game. I was a little upset to see
no missions from latino gangs or the yakuza

I didn't really find any mission too challenging which was a real bummer. No real drive-bys to speak of, only a handful of helicopter and boat missions.

All in all, real disappointed in the game. The hype was stupidly overblown. Here's to hoping for a much better experience in the DLC.

AstroLad said:
Even though it's broken in many, many ways, it's really fun when you get a party together and play the team modes.

I don't doubt it.

I'm generally a random solo player though in multiplayer Fps so my experience goes something like this when I try to play multiplayer in GTA.

A.) Try to join a game. I'm the first person. Have to wait forever for everybody to show up or nobody is able to join the game for some reason.
B.) Game fails to find a connection and I'm dumped back to single player to have to reload the multiplayer again.
C.) Game starts with horribly unbalanced teams since there doesn't seem to be any auto balance team feature or it doesn't work properly.
D.) Get into a game but lose connectivity during match and get dumped out.
E.) Get into a game but some of my team bails so we are stuck at a permanent disadvantage. (It feels like people can't join games already in progress.)
F. Get in a game and everything goes perfect.

F happens I would guess about 10% to 20% of the time (and that's leaving out some of the other letter option problems that can crop up). That is just unacceptable when so many other FPS's don't have these issues.

FUCKING A!

What a game! Best purchase EVER (as of now)!
I love ding side quests espacially when you randomly find someone on the road :lol

That said, 36% done according to the game and HOLY SHIT THATS ALOT OF HOURS! :/
Just unlocked all the locations and Completed the "Three Leaf Clover" mission. OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD! WHAT AN ADRENALINE RUSH! I attempted that mission six times and finally completed it. I tried EVERYTHING. From running and gunning to
Calling Dwayne for backup. Yes, i didn't kill him. He is an amazing dude and far far better than Playboy X. I don't need Playboy's money, not after i completed this mission :p Plus, i love playboy's apartment and was delighted to get that as a reward.

10/10 for sure :D

Oh and 60GB Launch PS3. No freezing/tearing/glitching watsoever. Also, i have the zombie skin for multiplayer for some reason :p Wasn't that skin only for special people?

My brother (playing on 360) is far far behind than me and is stuck in the mission where
you kill 3 guys in a construction site and take down the dude running in chopper
.. considering i got the game shipped 4 days later to me :p

Halvie

Banned
Percent wise how far alone in the main story is the Three Leaf Clover mission? I am only at like 32% and just did it...seems a bit early to be the best mission of the game.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I convinced
one of the branched paths for "A Revengers Tragedy"
is a a bug. There is just no other way to explain it.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to reach Jacob's helicopter.

raYne

Stoney Mason said:
Pretty much. The entire online mode is broken, from the lobby to network issues that affect the gameplay to sometimes the gameplay itself.

I just really can't take it seriously. I'll play just to screw around (<3 free roam) but if you're the competitive type, everything works against you.

Hell, even if you get good players with a great host and don't have people teleporting or cars flying around.. You still have to deal with nonsense like streets being empty for minutes at a time so you can't even get a car to get to the action. Or cars disappearing when you get anywhere close to them.

I have a LONG list of issues with this game. Both SP and MP. Before the game came out I said that it'd have a lot of issues that reviewers wouldn't touch on at all.. and I was right. I still like the game, but Jesus..

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
raYne said:
Hell, even if you get good players with a great host and don't have people teleporting or cars flying around.. You still have to deal with nonsense like streets being empty for minutes at a time so you can't even get a car to get to the action. Or cars disappearing when you get anywhere close to them.

People just need to set traffic to Medium and the amount of cars is fine (High if you want a "normal" amount). Whenever I'm host, I set it to Medium but again the defaults are working against the game (hi auto-aim).

Really each game mode should have its own defaults (e.g., Car Jack City needs High traffic), but instead we're stuck with an awful global default set and reliance on hosts (which, afaict, ARE getting a bit better, e.g., much less auto-aim).

X26

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Wait a fucking minute. You mean I'm going to miss out on a whole string of missions because I killed
Francis?
That's bullshit.

Hmm? They don't give any missions after that one even if you don't kill them

ezekial45

Banned
kylej said:

64323hjh.jpg

Damn. Are there anymore events like this? I met this crackhead from earlier. Is he one of them?

Safe Bet

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Also, i have the zombie skin for multiplayer for some reason :p Wasn't that skin only for special people?
I'm not sure but I'm starting to think that mp skin is viral.

Play with a person that has it, you catch it...

It would fit the zombie theme of the skin.

Like I said though, I'm just guessing.

shagg_187 said:
Reload?

Oh and you gotta do what you gotta do. Why'd you do it? :p
All the other McRearys seem to hate him, and he said he had dirt on me. It was the only logical decision, and now the game is punishing me for it. Balls to that I say. Balls.
X26 said:
Hmm? They don't give any missions after that one even if you don't kill them
Wait, what? I read at another source that he calls you up and gives you new missions if you spare him.

raYne said:
Pretty much. The entire online mode is broken, from the lobby to network issues that affect the gameplay to sometimes the gameplay itself.

I just really can't take it seriously. I'll play just to screw around (<3 free roam) but if you're the competitive type, everything works against you.

I have a LONG list of issues with this game. Both SP and MP. Before the game came out I said that it'd have a lot of issues that reviewers wouldn't touch on at all.. and I was right. I still like the game, but Jesus..

The difference for me is that in the single player a lot of the issues there people talk about are design calls or technical hurdles in some cases. I might disagree in some cases but I can understand the other side or even disagree in some cases.

The multiplayer though is legitimately broken in a lot of cases. Nobody would have done it in that manner which leads me to believe they simply ran out of time before they could address the multiplayer stuff and since most people are buying GTA for the single player that is where they had to put most of their dedication.

raYne said:

Which version are you playing? I've heard the MP is infinitely more stable on XBL.

Top Bottom