• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

voltron

LJ11 said:
I could've sworn that I stole one from there the other day, I parked two in front of the safe house. It was a long play session so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Nope Im here now... theres only Turismos. I guess the game could randomise it though.

dagZ

voltron said:
So am I right in saying theres no Infernus' in the game? Only found the Turismo and Comet so far, as far as high end cars go.

Later in the game you get one
as a gift from bernie
, then when your driving it for some reason, you see alot of them. I have 2 in one of my safehouses.

LJ11

voltron said:
Nope Im here now... theres only Turismos. I guess the game could randomise it though.

I just loaded the game and only saw Turismos as well. Could've sworn I saw different cars in there the other day.

voltron said:

The only expensive cars I saw randomly were Turismos, Comets, and Banshees. The SuperGT and Infernus arent random like that.

voltron

dagZ said:
Later in the game you get one
as a gift from bernie
, then when your driving it for some reason, you see alot of them. I have 2 in one of my safehouses.

Its funny - thats always been part of the GTA games: you see a lot of whatever car youre in. But in GTA4 I barely noticed it. I think theyve done a great job minimising that little phenomenon a great deal.

Linkzg said:
The only expensive cars I saw randomly were Turismos, Comets, and Banshees. The SuperGT and Infernus arent random like that.

Oh shit... I completely forgot about the SuperGT!

voltron said:
Its funny - thats always been part of the GTA games: you see a lot of whatever car youre in. But in GTA4 I barely noticed it. I think theyve done a great job minimising that little phenomenon a great deal.

Yeah, I think it is a bit more realistic now.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am driving around I do see a Porsche every once in a while, same with the viper. While I don't see a Ferrari that much, I did seen an Enzo driving the other day. I never do see Aston Martins or (I forget what real life car it is) Infernus in real life.

I also forget that there are Corvettes

Flunkie

Banned
Just beat the game.
What the hell? Very underwhelming. All that time, the story was just leading up to a big disappointment. At least, that's what it felt like to me. (I did the Revenge ending). Is the other one any better?

Nemesis_

I've been given the option to kill off
PlayBoyX or Dwayne
but I haven't got 100% mission completiong for
X
, where I do for the other one. Is it worthwhile killing off
X
or should I just go for another 100% run in my next playthrough?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I found a Sultan RS at the end of the mission where you

Have to make your way from the rear to the front of a truck while it's moving at high speed

It's in the bushes behind one of the buildings there. It's really fast and I love the whine of the turbo :D

Yeah now that I'm finished I don't really feel like playing much more. I want to finish Jacob's deliveries for the achievement, and that's really it. Multiplayer isn't that entertaining, and I certainly don't think it's rewarding enough to play through a second time. A lot of crappy missions. Might go back to playing Halo 3 until the next game hits.

Played online with some of the Gaffers tonight. Didn't really know what I was doing in some of the gametypes but it was still enjoyable (That multiplayer info thing post earlier needs a hell of a lot more information for the various different type of games). More fun and little more stable although the party system is borked. Also played the races which are kind of fun.

sennin

voltron said:

Minimizing it, I'd agree, although I've to disagree about quantifying it "a great deal". After I've gotten my Infernus by completing Bernie's missions and parked it in my safehouse, I soon started seeing more pop up. During one stretch while I was driving my spare Infernus, I saw about 12 of them lined up across 2 streets, different colors too. :lol This was near the Bohan safehouse. I've also experienced the other extreme, while driving an Infernus not a single clone showed up for 15 minutes ... so I'm thinking the coding for 'same car spawns' is still there, just toned down modestly in probability.

It is quite easy to confuse the Infernus with a Turismo from the front (at least until you open the doors...), the difference is readily apparent when one directs attention at the boot. Turismo's back has twin small exhaust pipes in the middle with a back windscreen covering an engine; an Infernus has a large turbo booster in the middle and 4 circular tail lights, 2 on each side, and no windscreen in the back.

A Super GT pops up during Bernie's mission "Union Drive", and I thought it was a Turismo until the dust cleared when I had a chance to get into the S GT.

I've seen a Sabre GT spawn randomly, so I'm unable to provide any information on replicating this stroke of luck...The Coquette is also a pretty rare sight.

Anyway, to circumvent the whole cab bumping your parked cars out of the yellow box problem, I always put a waypoint 1 street behind my safehouse and tell the cab to head for the WP now, and cover the difference by foot to prevent this.

Nemesis556 said:
I've been given the option to kill off
PlayBoyX or Dwayne
but I haven't got 100% mission completiong for
X
, where I do for the other one. Is it worthwhile killing off
X
or should I just go for another 100% run in my next playthrough?
killing either gets you to 100% for x, if you let him live, you just get some cash - no other missions open up for him, if you kill x then you get Dwayne as a friend and a perk and x's safehouse and gta3 clothes ;)

Jtrizzy

What the fuck is going on with the
Final Mission where you have to get the boat underneath the chopper? Is this shit a bug or something? I can't get there any faster So I am watching a video of the end. Guess I made the wrong decision not killing Dmitri. I thought that was the one that wouldn't get Roman killed (which was completely fucking obvious. What a shitty ending. Very disappointing. Do I get to date the ugly Irish bitch instead if I can ever beat the final mission? What a load of shit. I made the wrong choice by killing Dwayne. Not sure what would've happened had I killed Darko. Anyway this sucks.

sennin

Topher said:
Do you only get one shot with lawchick? Also, what activities does she enjoy?

Nope, at least I can vouch for Carmen and Kiki, at any time should you choose to dump them, a few days (maybe a week, I don't have the specifics...) later they will show up on love.net again.

Kiki (Lawchick) preferences -

- Russian clothes, dislikes Modo and Persus apparel
- no strip club, I brought her there once and the next thing I knew she dumped me. >> *Strip club works for Carmen and Alex
- greasy Burgershots are fine, fine dining in expensive restaurants is out (remember her psychological profile?
Idealistic lawyer trying to make the world a better place for the proletarians?
^^)
- no fanciful cars, keep it simple with the cheap variants
- drinking and getting drunk at bars = okay
- likes comedy show (Katt Williams, Ricky Gervais)
- no concrete data on darts, bowling and pool...

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Jtrizzy said:
What the fuck is going on with the
Final Mission where you have to get the boat underneath the chopper? Is this shit a bug or something? I can't get there any faster So I am watching a video of the end. Guess I made the wrong decision not killing Dmitri. I thought that was the one that wouldn't get Roman killed (which was completely fucking obvious. What a shitty ending
We're in the same boat my friend.
I was devestated and completely let down by my ending. I thought that striking the deal would somehow prevent events that could lead to his death. What a fuck awful ending though. Mallorie is left alone to raise his child, Roman is dead, and Katie hates you. Fuck you Rockstar.

As for the final mission, yes it is a load of horseshit. I just got done bitching about it on the last page. Speed is all I can say. Run pass the dudes on the roof straight for the chopper and gun it. When near the yellow marker pull back on the joystick instead of pushing it foward. Doing this makes it go faster.

Thanks, sennin. And MrTroubleMaker.

Vaxadrin

Banned
The multiplayer in this game reminds me alot of Lost Planet's. No autoaim (if it's off, mostly it is), stun animations, weapons & vehicles everywhere...

sennin said:
During one stretch while I was driving my spare Infernus, I saw about 12 of them lined up across 2 streets, different colors too. :lol This was near the Bohan safehouse.

That always happens outside that safehouse. Once it gave me 12 sportsbikes because that's what I was driving. I filled up the yellow rectangle with them.

raYne

I decided to kill some time on the in-game internet while waiting for a new job call. So I'm skimming through the news pages and lawl @
Elizabeta getting 300 years in prison. Manny and Jay's bodies are still missing too.
:lol That's harsh.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
A good thing to do if you want to keep your high end cars is to keep them at your safehouses and jack the ones the spawn because you have it parked there. That way you don't lose them.

Have you guys talked about the down loadable content? *Spoilers*

Did you notice how you didn't get revenge against the real bad guy in the game. Namely Mr. Bulgarin. The mob boss that got Nicko to flee Europe. Those diamonds Bulgarin wanted were also tragically lost. If I were a betting man I would say the down loadable content would center around Bulgarin.

Jtrizzy

Topher said:
We're in the same boat my friend.
I was devestated and completely let down by my ending. I thought that striking the deal would somehow prevent events that could lead to his death. What a fuck awful ending though. Mallorie is left alone to raise his child, Roman is dead, and Katie hates you. Fuck you Rockstar.

As for the final mission, yes it is a load of horseshit. I just got done bitching about it on the last page. Speed is all I can say. Run pass the dudes on the roof straight for the chopper and gun it. When near the yellow marker pull back on the joystick instead of pushing it foward. Doing this makes it go faster.

Thanks, sennin. And MrTroubleMaker.

I'm completely disappointed with the way the creators of this game did the choosing who you are going to kill stuff
I chose to kill Dwayne, because it seemed more fitting with the game and would help me with Playboy. Of course killing Dwayne does absolutely nothing, and really, neither deserved to die over the other. Had I know about Playboy's penthouse, I obviously would've killed him.

Most obviously, doing the money mission at the end, which totally ruined the game for me. Why the fuck would ANYONE want that shitty ending where Roman gets killed. The only reason I did it is because I thought it would save him. Neither greed or revenge are good qualities, so I'm not sure what message Rockstar is trying to get across here. I just wanted a happy ending like in 95% of games and movies.

I'm not sure what would've happened had I chose to kill the junkie brother instead of the cop brother, but that didn't seem to matter, but I'm sure it cost me in some huge way. I also spared Darko, can someone tell me what happens if I kill him? All of this I did hoping to not get Roman killed, and it was blatantly obvious that this was going to happen

In summary, I'd like to send a big Fuck You to Rockstar for the shit ending after I played 30 some hours to get to this point. I have one separate save, but it's way the fuck back and there is no way I'm playing through all of those fucking missions again.

I hope they feel they got their bs artistic message out there. It's a fucking video game you shit heads, no one wants to end it on a depressing note.

If anyone reading this hasn't finished the game, make SURE you make multiple saves every time they present you with a choice of who to kill. Or I guess you could read spoilers so you don't end up with the shit ending like I did.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Jtrizzy said:
I'm completely disappointed with the way the creators of this game did the choosing who you are going to kill stuff
I chose to kill Dwayne, because it seemed more fitting with the game and would help me with Playboy. Of course killing Dwayne does absolutely nothing, and really, neither deserved to die over the other. Had I know about Playboy's penthouse, I obviously would've killed him.

Most obviously, doing the money mission at the end, which totally ruined the game for me. Why the fuck would ANYONE want that shitty ending where Roman gets killed. The only reason I did it is because I thought it would save him. Neither greed or revenge are good qualities, so I'm not sure what message Rockstar is trying to get across here. I just wanted a happy ending like in 95% of games and movies.

I'm not sure what would've happened had I chose to kill the junkie brother instead of the cop brother, but that didn't seem to matter, but I'm sure it cost me in some huge way. I also spared Darko, can someone tell me what happens if I kill him? All of this I did hoping to not get Roman killed, and it was blatantly obvious that this was going to happen

In summary, I'd like to send a big Fuck You to Rockstar for the shit ending after I played 30 some hours to get to this point. I have one separate save, but it's way the fuck back and there is no way I'm playing through all of those fucking missions again.

I hope they feel they got their bs artistic message out there. It's a fucking video game you shit heads, no one wants to end it on a depressing note.

If anyone reading this hasn't finished the game, make SURE you make multiple saves every time they present you with a choice of who to kill. Or I guess you could read spoilers so you don't end up with the shit ending like I did.

I did it one way now I'm going to go back and do it the other way. I save right at that point.

....man...anybody else's right finger get fucking raw after pulling that shit all the way down, almost all the time on 360?

....I find myself switching to classic controls from time to time just so I can give my finger a break =/

raYne

This thread is far to long to bother searching through, but did anyone mention the apparent nod to the past GTA characters in the game?

All three main guys(Claude, Carl and Tommy) and a bunch of others are listed on a RIP graffiti wall. There's even a, "remember Tommy U R my hero" quote. :*(

edit:
Sorta off topic, but I threw in my copy of GTA3 when I took a break from this earlier. Holeeee shit.. everything's ugly, the city is a wasteland, aiming and shooting is laughably bad, the buildings are very very boxy etc. That's one game that didn't age well at all...

I'm pretty sure I should sue for mental and emotional distress.

Adent said:
I don't have that. I didn't know the mods let people viciously attack others on this forum.
:lol

Welcome aboard!

Tip: To see how to use spoiler tags, quote a post that uses them. The code is right there in the quote.

Choc

Banned
Jtrizzy said:

The fact Rockstar made you feel depression means they have suceeded. To have you so immersed in a game that you felt that, means they really hit a note. I'm going to go out on a limb. I really enjoyed the ending. Yes i was shocked when kate/roman died but Rockstar is trying to show what can happen when you take a life of crime. Things you love can disappear in an instant. This is the true story of GTA IV, no matter how good you get, how big you get, it can all end in tears and back at square one.

Choc

Banned
raYne said:
This thread is far to long to bother searching through, but did anyone mention the apparent nod the the past GTA characters in the game?

All three main guys(Claude, Carl and Tommy) and a bunch of others are listed on a RIP graffiti wall. There's even a, "remember Tommy U R my hero" quote. :*(

where

Jtrizzy

Choc said:
The fact Rockstar made you feel depression means they have suceeded. To have you so immersed in a game that you felt that, means they really hit a note. I'm going to go out on a limb. I really enjoyed the ending. Yes i was shocked when kate/roman died but Rockstar is trying to show what can happen when you take a life of crime. Things you love can disappear in an instant. This is the true story of GTA IV, no matter how good you get, how big you get, it can all end in tears and back at square one.

I know that was their intent.
So in the other ending I guess Kate dies? That would have been fine with me. Bitch never puts out, and is ugly as shit.

I just wish I would have known, as I would have done the other. I totally understand that was their point with the game, but when you play 35+ hours of a game only to have a sad ending with
Nico basically having nothing but shitty dates with some bitch who I couldn't stand the whole time. (I'm guessing she never puts out, I haven't tried another date with her since I finished) I can deal with this kind of an ending in a 4 hour movie, but when you invest this much time, it would be nice to have a happy ending

I do have a save where I'm doing the
Baby sitting mission with the junkie Mcreary brother
Any guesses as to how far back that is? Looks like about ten more hours to get back to the end.

Another thing that pisses me off is that I bet that last mission is exactly the fucking same regardless of which thing you choose. I loved the ending cinematic, but it would've been a lot cooler with the happy ending.

Oh and another thing I'm pissed about is that I have no idea how to get another infernus.

Truant

Man, does anyone have some tips on how to escape the police on
Tunnel of Death
? They are fucking ruthless. I got away from three stars on
Three Leaf Clover
in no time.

Jtrizzy

Hell, I wish they would've killed off Kate. I would have shoved a fucking rocket launcher up her vag and blown her to smithereens.

If they are going to be all about choice, why do we have like Kate. She's fucking ugly, doesn't put out, and is annoying as shit.

Oozer3993

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I'm assuming they do the whole Rockstar Vancouver, Rockstar New York, Rockstar London, etc, etc thing? Bully's credits lasted forever too.

I think so. I walked out of the room. I came back in time to see credits for Rockstar Lincoln. I didn't even know there was a Rockstar Lincoln. I am fulling expecting a Rockstar Terre Haute to pop up any day now.

using the motorbike is frustrating...especially when chasing the AI, who seems to ride the bike perfectly regardless of the situation....need to have more random AI patterns where the computer fucks up more under pressure

Choc said:
Yeah, the story was great. Great enough for me to play it through a second time, and I NEVER play games a second time.

I'll keep the current save, and make it my wandering around/100% save, and have another be my story only speedrun for the 30 hour achievement save. Next time through, I'm making the exact opposite decisions.

platypotamus said:
Wow, you can ride the cable car by the south algonquin bridge. I hadn't even noticed the cable car until tonight.
I noticed that and was like "I HAVE TO TRY THAT!" but when I went I couldn't find a way to get on. How did you do it?

Jtrizzy said:
I know that was their intent.
So in the other ending I guess Kate dies? That would have been fine with me. Bitch never puts out, and is ugly as shit.

I just wish I would have known, as I would have done the other. I totally understand that was their point with the game, but when you play 35+ hours of a game only to have a sad ending with
Nico basically having nothing but shitty dates with some bitch who I couldn't stand the whole time. (I'm guessing she never puts out, I haven't tried another date with her since I finished) I can deal with this kind of an ending in a 4 hour movie, but when you invest this much time, it would be nice to have a happy ending

Yeah, in the Revenge ending, Kate dies. Either option means you are fucked, really, and I guess that was the point. Its certainly not a glorified look at the world of organized crime as everyone ends up dead, in jail, or full of regret.

Jtrizzy

Did anyone actually here actually like Kate though? She was my least favorite character in the game. I would have felt bad for about .5 seconds when she died, as opposed to Roman. I'd rather give Michelle a second chance.

Jtrizzy said:
Did anyone actually here actually like Kate though? She was my least favorite character in the game. I would have felt bad for about .5 seconds when she died, as opposed to Roman. I'd rather give Michelle a second chance.

I thought Rockstar did a piss poor job with
your relationship with Kate. The problem was that it was completely optional. They should've given a more mandatory mission arc for Katie. It would've made her death more tragic.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I just flew a helicopter for the first time. Its a bit difficult to control, but its still good fun. I looks incredible when you fly over the city at night.

Top Bottom