• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

raYne

ezekial45 said:
Damn. Are there anymore events like this? I met this crackhead from earlier. Is he one of them?
Yep. There are random events/people all over the place.

I think like 12 individuals in all, and you'll meet them multiple times in a different places. Each giving you a new scene and mission.

ezekial45 said:
Damn. Are there anymore events like this? I met this crackhead from earlier. Is he one of them?

There are a number of random one off encounter missions you can have with people. Pretty cool actually. Although I only came across like three in my first play through.

raYne

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Which version are you playing? I've heard the MP is infinitely more stable on XBL.
:lol This is from Live. In which case, I can't imagine how shitty it was on PSN pre-patch.

Stoney Mason said:
The difference for me is that in the single player a lot of the issues there people talk about are design calls or technical hurdles in some cases. I might disagree in some cases but I can understand the other side or even disagree in some cases.

The multiplayer though is legitimately broken in a lot of cases. Nobody would have done it in that manner which leads me to believe they simply ran out of time before they could address the multiplayer stuff and since most people are buying GTA for the single player that is where they had to put most of their dedication.
I'll agree with this. My SP "issues" have to do with only few on the tech side, but mostly on the design and lack of variety and options for no reason other than that's apparently where they wanted to take the series.

MP on the other hand is most definitely "broken".

kylej

Banned
ezekial45 said:

There are a bunch of random encounters throughout the game like that. Did the crackhead give you $100? That's the first of 3 of his missions.

http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/maps/1/Liberty-City-Map

On the legend to the right of that map go all the way down to NPCs then select Person (Contact). That'll show you the locations of at least the 1st random encounter missions.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
raYne said:
:lol This is from Live. In which case, I can't imagine how shitty it was on PSN pre-patch.

It's actually very smooth and been a blast since launch for me. It's the framerate that really boggles down on the PS3 for multiplayer, if I'm not mistaken.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe the guts of this game. What they did to
Roman...

I think the final mission is bugged.
The chopper I had to grab onto warped like super far away.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
All the other McRearys seem to hate him, and he said he had dirt on me. It was the only logical decision, and now the game is punishing me for it. Balls to that I say. Balls.

Last i checked, if you kill someone important and his role is done, it's done. The game doesn't "punish" you. I have not killed people at instances where i had to execute them. Sometimes it rewards you by giving a few extra sidequests
e.g. Dwayne's girlfriend
, and sometimes it bites you in the ass for keeping them alive
e.g. that dude wearing the number 27 jersey outside a building (alonzo, i think) for he contacts the rest that you're coming into the building

I have not reached where you are, but from what i understand it won't affect anything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Honestly (at least on Live) the biggest problem with multi is that it depends completely on the host to create a good game. And there are so many options that many hosts will fuck things up one way or another. If they had a good server list it would be a solid if slightly buggy online experience.

AstroLad said:
Honestly (at least on Live) the biggest problem with multi is that it depends completely on the host to create a good game. And there are so many options that many hosts will fuck things up one way or another. If they had a good server list it would be a solid if slightly buggy online experience.
Which is why I hate the fact that you have to get lucky to host. It's retarded. Let the competent people choose to host, dammit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Which is why I hate the fact that you have to get lucky to host. It's retarded. Let the competent people choose to host, dammit.

:lol half the time people don't even realize they're hosting. I've certainly been in situations where the host left and I became the host and went "oh, shit" I'm sure at least a little while after I became host.

raYne

AstroLad said:
True. Seems like everyone just wants to max out all the options at the cost of functionality for everyone else.

Though I'm sure it's smooth for the host, so he doesn't care. *rollseyes*

AstroLad said:

Yep. They should have locked down the options and divide those few debatable options into playlists like auto aim, free-aim (along with showing me the number of people in a playlist) and only leave the options for unranked or private games. Hell there is an option for playing music in the lobby. Just play the fucking music and leave out the option. Console matchmaking has to be smooth and simple you can't let the hosts fuck up the game with a ton of options. I hate the in lobby fight over options that invariably happens everytime I play which has everybody yelling at the host. If they had only copied some of the more successful matchmaking systems like Halo 3 or COD 4, most of this wouldn't be an issue.

Stoney Mason said:
Yep. They should have locked down the options and divide those into playlists(along with showing me the number of people in a playlist) and only leave the options for unranked or private games. Hell there is an option for playing music in the lobby. Just play the fucking music and leave out the option. Console matchmaking has to be smooth and you can't let the hosts fuck up the game with a ton of options. If they had only copied some of the more successful matchmaking systems like Halo 3 or COD 4, most of this wouldn't be an issue.
Fuck matchmaking all together. Fuck it to hell. It's stupid, counterintuitive bullshit designed to simplify things for morons. Give me lobbies or give me death, assholes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stoney Mason said:
It's barely stable on XBL so it must be a nightmare on PSN.

Nope, it's fine on my end and several other friends I've played with. The real problem is the framerate sometimes in the battles, which the 360 doesn't seem to have a problem with at all in multi. Kinda weird.

chase

Hahahah

I was going down the wrong way on a one way street (as you do) and crashed into a car (as you do). Afterwards, as I tried to maneuver my way through, I noticed the guy I crashed into was stumbling out of his car on fire! So I drive ahead a ways to see what'll happen and watch as he collapses. When he falls, his car starts on fire. So at this point I'm thinking cool, this'll be fun, cuz there's a bit of a traffic jam and I want to see if all of these cars will explode. So I drive ahead a bit more (just in case) and get ready for the fireworks. One car, two then three cars explode in fiery glory. The fourth is on fire and finally explodes, but this one sends a dead, flaming body hurtling towards me! It bounces and slides along the street right into my tire, which catches fire and pops, thankfully sparing me and my vehicle.

This is the best random moment I've ever had in a video game.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Fuck matchmaking all together. Fuck it to hell. It's stupid, counterintuitive bullshit designed to simplify things for morons. Give me lobbies or give me death, assholes.

I've played lobbies for years and on consoles I just want a matchmaking system that maximizes my fun time. COD 4 and Halo 3 are perfect systems for consoles for me.

chubigans said:
Nope, it's fine on my end and several other friends I've played with. The real problem is the framerate sometimes in the battles, which the 360 doesn't seem to have a problem with at all in multi. Kinda weird.

Oh yes it does. And it has strong lag issues.

belvedere

Junior Butler
BobFromPikeCreek said:

Exactly.

At least make it an option for fucks sake.

Safe Bet

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
It's barely stable on XBL so it must be a nightmare on PSN.
I don't know what kind of problems you guys have had on Live, but the biggest problem with the PS3 version's online mode is getting a good host and a full room.

PS

I've occasionally seen lag but only when riding in a car with one of my teammates as the driver.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stoney Mason said:
Oh yes it does. And it has strong lag issues.

Really? From some GAFfers I got the impression the framerate was much more solid on multi 360 than multi PS3.

Maybe you're just having a string of bad luck with the hosts or something. :p

X26

Banned
Y2Kev said:
okay this final mission is garbage

I especially hate how
the whole game you barely ever have to use a chopper, and then at the end you need to maneuever one perfectly within the first few seconds of that section or else you fail

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rockstar QA needs to be fired. how can you not check for freaking bugs/freak shit occurring on the last goddamn mission

chubigans said:
Really? From some GAFfers I got the impression the framerate was much more solid on multi 360 than multi PS3.

Maybe you're just having a string of bad luck with the hosts or something. :p

Anything is possible but I doubt it. With all that firing and all those people in a relatively small area like the gameplay tends to revolve around it's bound to take a mammoth hit frame rate wise. Of course I generally play Team Death Match and try to wait for 16 players so some of it is understandable but still it does hamper quality of play and combined with lag it can be brutal.

painey

X26 said:
I especially hate how
the whole game you barely ever have to use a chopper, and then at the end you need to maneuever one perfectly within the first few seconds of that section or else you fail

i got hit with the rocket launcher and i thought i was fucked, suddenly it skips to a cut scene and my chopper lands despite being on fire, i already failed the first time on the bike as it was night and i couldnt see the coast line so i thought i lost again.. when i finally landed i shot Dmitri but the cops were shooting me and i had no armor.. killed D with the tiniest bit of red health.. phew

raYne

chubigans said:
It's actually very smooth and been a blast since launch for me. It's the framerate that really boggles down on the PS3 for multiplayer, if I'm not mistaken.
I suppose it's also dependent on who you play with. The hosts connection, his location relative to everyone's, his game options, the amount of players etc. As I said, it's good and fun when you have a good host who knows what he's doing, but that's few and FAR between. I'm certainly giving Rockstar their fair share of responsibility for the shittyness as well.

I'd pretty much say my good to bad MP experience ratio stands at 40:60. Which is totally unexceptable when in the other games I usually play, the good experience is in the high 90th percentile.

On the subject of the MP framerate: What's weird is I haven't had any real issues with it. I've heard people go on mid-fight about how their framerate took a dive, but I'm right there with them and didn't experience it. So I'm not sure if they're confusing it with lag on their end.

Maybe I've just been lucky but multiplayer has run flawlessly for me on the 360.

At this point the only thing I really want is an option to just join no auto-aim games. I'd rather not use it, but if other people are using it, you pretty much have to as well to stay competitive. I don't hate auto-aim games, they just aren't as fun.

There's a bunch of other minor changes I'd make but that one would be #1 on my list. Otherwise my experience with it in multiplayer has been phenomenal. I've pretty much determined that this game is all I'll be playing for the next few months.

atomsk

Party Pooper
been screwing around with the chopper for about an hour now.

jumped a bike off the top of empire state

now i'm trying to make a midair jump from the chopper onto a 747...

it's not going so well :lol

Jtrizzy

I can't believe they left out garages in this game. I really wish I had saved the Infernus at one of my home spots. Now I have to way to get another one. I can't remember where the spot was that
Bernie leaves it
so there is no way to figure out if it re spawns or not.

The car save function works some of the time, but doesn't seem to be very consistent. I've already lost the Japanese Motorcycle you get when
you kill the guy in the Chinese restaurant
even though I saved it in front of my house.

I don't think it deserves a 10/10 either. The missions are predictable, and it's just too hard to keep the awesome cars. I end up stealing Turismo's over and over again from the dealership, which is better than nothing, but it'd be nice if I could find another FUCKING INFERNUS and save it in a garage.

Ten-Song

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I prefer it mostly because it lets me and my friends start a party and get into a game together easy. As opposed to just scrolling through menus sending messages and hoping for the best.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
rhino4evr said:
Achievement Questions:

Can the survive 5 min with 6 Stars and drive out of a 4 star wanted level be accomplished at the same time?

I drove my boat out of bounds and was chased for a while on 6 stars(felt like 5 minutes) . Sadly, I didn't get either achievement.

Any help here?

You have to run away on foot for the 4 star achievment. Pretty easy if you use the subways :p

Add the gamertag "GAFGTAIV" to your freindslist if you would like to play online with other gaffers. Just use the view friends of a friend feature to see who is playing.

Label said:
You have to run away on foot for the 4 star achievment.
No, you don't, you can escape anyway you want, car, boat etc. I don't get why the "outrun" the cops is confusing so many people, I don't remember playing a man sprinting in Outrun, I'm pretty sure there was a car :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BakedPigeon said:
Add the gamertag "GAFGTAIV" to your freindslist if you would like to play online with other gaffers. Just use the view friends of a friend feature to see who is playing.

you keep posting this but we already have a gaf FoF list dude

BobM

Regarding the MP....I remember reading an EGM MP preview a month or 2 back. IN this preview i found it VERY disturbing that they said while they were there, they could only get the smaller groups (4-8 players i think it was) to work right. Even if the interview and preview took place 2 or 3 months before the article was published that should have been at least seen as potentially problematic.

I remember htinking to myself, wow why don't they seem to have any concern about this? I know that previewers often dont like to talk to much about those types of issues as they could and often are ironed out before the final build. BUT there are also PLENTY of instances where games are shipped before they are ready.
I think R* was under alot of pressure to release this game when they did. They dont seem to keen to be bought by EA. If another big delay was anounced, I can imagine that "hostile takeover" going down quite a bit differently.

For a game like GTAIV there comes a point where they can be pretty confident the game will sell big, and they know they can always patch the game later.

Only time will tell whether the online will be "fixed" completely, but truth be tiold I would have bought the game without online, so the fact that i can fuck around the wolrd with multiple friends is cool enough hwere im not going to be to upset.

BobM said:
Regarding the MP....I remember reading an EGM MP preview a month or 2 back. IN this preview i found it VERY disturbing that they said while they were there, they could only get the smaller groups (4-8 players i think it was) to work right. Even if the interview and preview took place 2 or 3 months before the article was published that should have been at least seen as potentially problematic.

I remember htinking to myself, wow why don't they seem to have any concern about this? I know that previewers often dont like to talk to much about those types of issues as they could and often are ironed out before the final build. BUT there are also PLENTY of instances where games are shipped before they are ready.
I think R* was under alot of pressure to release this game when they did. They dont seem to keen to be bought by EA. If another big delay was anounced, I can imagine that "hostile takeover" going down quite a bit differently.

For a game like GTAIV there comes a point where they can be pretty confident the game will sell big, and they know they can always patch the game later.

Only time will tell whether the online will be "fixed" completely, but truth be tiold I would have bought the game without online, so the fact that i can fuck around the wolrd with multiple friends is cool enough hwere im not going to be to upset.

It's not the end of the world or anything it is just very disappointing. COD 4 was my game of the year last year and I find the single player to be a big chore and not worth bothering in it so I'm always a little lenient if a game isn't the complete package but exceptional in either aspect not to mention the reason people are buying GTA 4 in mass numbers like this is definitely for the single player.

I wasn't even hyped or cared that much about the multiplayer until the big multiplayer preview blowout thing. It is dissappointing because so much could have been fixed with just a simple matchmaking sysem in place. Also it's not like COD where you use to get a new one every year so they could just fix the issues you didn't like in the prior year. (Although I doubt the next GTA will take as long as this one did clearly)

voltron

So am I right in saying theres no Infernus' in the game? Only found the Turismo and Comet so far, as far as high end cars go.

LJ11

voltron said:
So am I right in saying theres no Infernus' in the game? Only found the Turismo and Comet so far, as far as high end cars go.

I've found people driving them out in the open, but once you get the safe house in Algonquin you can just take a trip around the corner and steal it off the showroom floor.

voltron

LJ11 said:
I've found people driving them out in the open, but once you get the safe house in Algonquin you can just take a trip around the corner and steal it off the showroom floor.

Yeah I source alot of my cars from there.... but there is only Turismo's in there - not Infernus's i thought.

The other sad aspect is that occasionally you get a game that is extremly fun and makes you realize what the mp mode could be. I just had a great 3 team, 4 player a piece sniper rifle match at the airport. Good stuff. Now if I could somehow get to the good stuff and the stuff I want a lot more often that would be something.

I'm on if anyone is playing tonight GT: Cavaliereeche in between watching the office and playing 30 rock.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, the Infernus is still in. I have yet to find anybody driving it randomly on the street, but I got one from
Bernie

LJ11

voltron said:
Yeah I source alot of my cars from there.... but there is only Turismo's in there - not Infernus's i thought.

I could've sworn that I stole one from there the other day, I parked two in front of the safe house. It was a long play session so my memory could be playing tricks on me.

Top Bottom