• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

jakncoke

Banned
k kinda bothering me long enough but under vehicle stats and then the stats miles traveled.. why did
Liberty City to Las Venturas
show up before
Liberty City to Vice City
? also what's next?

Just popped on and did four deliveries for Jacob. Not bad. They're quick so you can get some rapid success. It's good to be able to make some progress quickly in these side-missions in comparison to the main missions...Drive here...Ok now chase this car here...Ok now kill these guys here...Ok now run from these cops here...Ok now go do the next mission which is probably similar.

Anyway, wasn't there an EGM rumor a while ago that the next GTA would be an MMO? I wouldn't be surprised. I think Rockstar realized that they can only push this formula so far and they'll look in a new direction. They'll do the GTA4 DLC, and the next main GTA we see will be something different.

Twig

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Anyway, wasn't there an EGM rumor a while ago that the next GTA would be an MMO? I wouldn't be surprised. I think Rockstar realized that they can only push this formula so far and they'll look in a new direction. They'll do the GTA4 DLC, and the next main GTA we see will be something different.
Well, we already have APB, from the Crackdown developers.

Not to say Rockstar won't do their own. But yeah.

ToyMachine228 said:

Maybe for their multiplayer mode or something but no way the next GTA game will solely be an mmo.

ElyrionX

funkmastergeneral said:
jesus christ, two and a half hours of searching and I have 30 damn pigeons

I can imagine how much more annoying it is now that you have to shoot them and attract unwanted attention from the police if you're not careful.

Jtrizzy said:
Most obviously, doing the money mission at the end, which totally ruined the game for me. Why the fuck would ANYONE want that shitty ending where Roman gets killed. The only reason I did it is because I thought it would save him. Neither greed or revenge are good qualities, so I'm not sure what message Rockstar is trying to get across here. I just wanted a happy ending like in 95% of games and movies.

I'm not sure what would've happened had I chose to kill the junkie brother instead of the cop brother, but that didn't seem to matter, but I'm sure it cost me in some huge way. I also spared Darko, can someone tell me what happens if I kill him? All of this I did hoping to not get Roman killed, and it was blatantly obvious that this was going to happen
Just a wacky thought, but with Roman out of the picture there's always the possibility that your character will have the option of dating Mallorie in this fall's DLC expansion.
:D

zig

I can't imagine trying to find the pigeons without a guide. I mean they pretty much acknowledged its near impossibility by including a map of their locations in the in-game internet.

Won

ElyrionX said:
I can imagine how much more annoying it is now that you have to shoot them and attract unwanted attention from the police if you're not careful.

It is not only the police. Half of Liberty City is equipped with at least pistols and everyone thinks he is a hero. Just did the first 10 on the map and I always end up running. That's beyond annoying.

Safe Bet

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Maybe for their multiplayer mode or something but no way the next GTA game will solely be an mmo.
I'd love to see a GTA MMO but if its going to be nothing more than the standard, kill an enemy watch it respawn, player action has no impact on the gameworld, operant conditioning designed to encourage addiction, bullshit, I'll fucking pass...

Won said:
It is not only the police. Half of Liberty City is equipped with at least pistols and everyone thinks he is a hero. Just did the first 10 on the map and I always end up running. That's beyond annoying.

word dude. Sometimes I hate being a completionist...This crap is worse then a Rare game.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
funkmastergeneral said:
word dude. Sometimes I hate being a completionist...This crap is worse then a Rare game.

Normally if a game has an optional side quest that I find tedious I have this great trick for getting around it: I don't do it!

Sultan RS is definitely awesome. I got mine by calling Brucie for a race, going to the race sight, and sniping out the driver of a Sultan RS. It cancelled the race (and lowered my Brucie like), but it was easy.

edit: and by the way, I'm still looking for a Super GT - any tips?

Wizpig

I just read on another forum that a guy or two don't think this is the best GTA game yet.
It may be a little off topic, sure, but what's your take?

Your GTA Top 3?

Personally:

1] IV
2] Vice City
3] San Andreas

Weenerz

Banned
Bernie gave me a lamo-whateverthefuck as a reward for some mission for him, pretty sweet, I actually saved it at a safe house

raYne

Darunia said:
Are the races hard to win at? I absolutely suck at racing games, but I want to 100% this one somewhere down the road
Not at all. They'll be next to you for about 10 feet at the start and you'll never see them again.

MMaRsu said:
Well, someone's needy... :p

I find it hilarious that I have near or over 70 hours in already and still haven't seen all the vehicles. Hell, there are still variations of normal vehicles that pop up once in a while and I'm like.. :O I already own all of the other high-end cars, but I'll pick up the Sultan to complete the set. :D

Never saw the Rancher before either. :/

MMaRsu said:
But there are also alot of vice city references in the game actually :)
Yep. Ranging from radio commercial ads to random pedestrians talking about vacationing and retirement to billboard ads.

dk_ said:
Is there a rocket launcher hidden in the streets of liberty city?
Probably, but I couldn't tell you where exactly. I got an in-game map of the locations of all the secret stuff (weapons, armor, items, random characters, pigeons, vehicles etc) after beating the game, but I only used it once to get free armor so I don't have to pay for it anymore.

Leonsito said:
Beating the QUB3D high score was easy, I think I did it in my second try, I went to the strip club in Bohan and didn't even enter in the club, I played in the QUB3D machine and then came back home :(

Btw, Ricky Gervais is horrible ...
I agree with both of these.

QUB3D is easy as hell, and I beat the high score without knowing you could apparently do anything with specials or whatever.

..and Ricky Gervais IS horrible.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Oh ok. lol. I was very worried there. I thought I had just screwed up something.

I died on my first attempt a couple of days ago. Since then I've found a bunch of grenade pickups on the middle island. So I went into Three Leaf Clover with over 20 grenades. :D I didn't use more than 4 but there is nothing like rolling a grenade under a car that is being used as cover.

Or rolling a grenade under a bunch of cars stopped at a red light. Or rolling one under a bunch of parked cars at the police station. :lol The grenades are fun.

Wizpig

Oh, any tips for that "Snow" mission?
I don't remember the full name, but i frequently read about it here on GAF.
Basically you have to
get Cocaine from an abandoned Hospital or something.
But it's hard as can be =(

Odrion

Banned
I thought Ricky Gervais was funny. >:|

Also hopefully since they finally nailed down a sympathetic GTA character, they can stop doing that and give us an opportunist psychopath to play as. I want to run over pedestrians without it being out of character and I don't want to be a goddamn lapdog anymore.

Wizpig said:
Basically you have to
some tips:
work patiently through to the drugs in the back (make sure to pick up the body armor back there (or is it health? I don't remember).

When the cops come, sprint back through the building, and take a right, toward the water - jump in, and swim to the jetboat for an easy getaway.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wizpig said:
Basically you have to

It was the first mission I failed, but then I came back the second time with a vengeance and cleared with 95% of my life incl. body armor.
Bring a fast car with you; e.g., Comet if you have it. Go through the house methodically. You can pick off the early guys with a sniper rifle and then use cover to get the rest. After you clear the first few guys, hop back out and pull the car up and turn it around so that it's near the entrance but facing out onto the parking lot in the little break in the wall next to where the truck is. You can then pretty easily clear room by room after that. There is a body armor in the last room if you need it. Then grab the stuff and the cops will come. Run North back out the way you came. Rather than running out the front door, jump out the window to your left and your car should be right there. As long as you brought a fast car you should be home free in no time. There is also a boat the other way but the first time I played that was how I did (falling on the boat) so I said screw it I'm doing it my way.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Odrion said:
I thought Ricky Gervais was funny. >:|

Also hopefully since they finally nailed down a sympathetic GTA character, they can stop doing that and give us an opportunist psychopath to play as. I want GTAV to take place in Vice City, I want drugs, I want to run people over without it feeling out of character, and I want to actually stop being a lapdog for once.

he is, he is... only not when he's doing stand up

raYne

Wizpig said:
Basically you have to
On the infiltration or the escape? They're both pretty easy if you do it right.

Go in with armor and take your time from room to room. Pretty much never coming off the aiming view at all unless you're taking cover or making a run for it. If you have the auto-aim on, you can use it to reveal enemy locations without actually seeing them by just holding the trigger all the way and sweeping the right stick.

There's health (and I think armor) in one of the rooms as well.

Then on the escape, it's better if you don't kill all the cops you see. Since all you'll be doind is bringing needless attention to yourself. I personally just killed the ones in the building and made a run for it to a waiting car when I made it outside.

I watched my bro play and he never killed any of the cops. He just made a break for it as soon as he heard the sirens and jumped in a car he left running from the start.

The rest is simple.

Wizpig

Thanks guys.
I'll try that later.

My problem is that i got arrested once - lost my Sniper Rifle - and the weapons cost TOO MUCH.
I hope i can find a Sniper Rifle somewhere in Liberty City -_-

What is this junk? I see a lease sign above an old strip joint with a full phone number, so I'm all like "Oh boy! I wonder what kind of hilarity will result from me calling it!" Dial the number. Nothing.

Then I'm on Autoeroticar's site, see a phone number. Same thing. Nothing.

I don't understand. Weren't they saying that you could call any number you see in the game and get something from it? SR did that.

raYne

BobFromPikeCreek said:
What is this junk? I see a lease sign with a full phone number, so I'm all like "Oh boy! I wonder what kind of hilarity will result from me calling it!" Dial the number. Nothing.

I don't understand. Weren't they saying that you could call any number you see in the game and get something from it? SR did that.
I was having that same conversation with someone yesterday. It's bs how they have numbers all over the place and you get nothing but a busy signal for calling it.

That's one more thing SR most definitely did better.

Wizpig said:
Thanks guys.
I'll try that later.

My problem is that i got arrested once - lost my Sniper Rifle - and the weapons cost TOO MUCH.
:lol The first and only time I got arrested was well after I beat the game. So I didn't care anymore.

I always go out in a blaze of glory.

You don't need the sniper at all either. An AR more than makes up for it.

Wizpig said:
Thanks guys.
I'll try that later.

I usually reload a save when I get arrested. I don't mind paying money towards healthcare, but tracking down/buying back all of my weapons is too much of a pain.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
raYne said:
I was having that same conversation with someone yesterday. It's bs how they have numbers all over the place and you get nothing but a busy signal for calling it.

:lol The first and only time I got arrested was well after I beat the game. So I didn't care anymore.

I always go out in a blaze of glory.

You don't need the sniper at all either. An AR more than makes up for it.

wrd. What a waste of time most of those numbers are.
I'm pretty amazed at how much hate SR gets when it did so many things better two years ago then GTA does today.

raYne

Truelize said:
wrd. What a waste of time most of those numbers are.
I'm pretty amazed at how much hate SR gets when it did so many things better two years ago then GTA does today.
Because Rockstar.. Gods.. etc.

There aren't enough giantrollseyessmiliesthrowingupsmallerrollseyessmileys.gifs on the internet to to properly explain my feelings on that matter.

AstroLad said:
Yeah you definitely don't. I just play every shooter like it's R6 on PC when I can.
Good plan. :lol

Odrion

Banned
Definitely. I think the biggest complaint you can make with the game is that it presents itself as a free world but limits itself in enough situations that you end up asking yourself "Okay if I do this will it actually work?" too much.

rhino4evr

Question are there two different sniper rifles?

I got one in a mission from a van,
now when I speak to my waepons dealer, I can't buy ammo, just another rifle. ($5000)
Is it better just to keep what I have, or buy the new one?

I think it sucks that you can't equip ALL the weapons.

raYne said:

Yeah. I don't understand it. Does that mean the cellphone's keypad is only for 911 and cheats? Kinda lame.

Wizpig

BobFromPikeCreek said:
What is this junk? I see a lease sign above an old strip joint with a full phone number, so I'm all like "Oh boy! I wonder what kind of hilarity will result from me calling it!" Dial the number. Nothing.

SR = ?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Yeah. I don't understand it. Does that mean the cellphone's keypad is only for 911 and cheats? Kinda lame.

Apparently, these also work

Code:
                  +--------------------------+----------------+
                  | NAME OF COMPANY/CONTACT  |     NUMBER     |
                  +--------------------------+----------------+
                  |    Emergency Services    |       911      |
                  |--------------------------+----------------|
                  |    Bean Machine Coffee   |    555-0110    |
                  |    Express Car Service   |    555-2222    |
                  |    Express Car Service   |    555-3333    |