• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

raYne

rhino4evr said:
Question are there two different sniper rifles?

I got one in a mission from a van,
now when I speak to my waepons dealer, I can't buy ammo, just another rifle. ($5000)
Is it better just to keep what I have, or buy the new one?

I think it sucks that you can't equip ALL the weapons.
Yep. There are two different everythings apart from the rocketlauncher and grenades/molotovs.

Like the other weapons, the difference is negligible.

Safe Bet

Banned
Truelize said:
I'm pretty amazed at how much hate SR gets when it did so many things better two years ago..
Yeah, I got this idea for a book.

It involves a ring of great power that must be destroyed.

A group of nine chosen from the world's various races band together in an effort to destroy the ring.

However, there's a hitch.

The ring can only be carried by dwarf-like creatures called "blobbits" who are very peaceful in nature.

;)

Darunia said:
Apparently, these also work

Code:
                  +--------------------------+----------------+
                  | NAME OF COMPANY/CONTACT  |     NUMBER     |
                  +--------------------------+----------------+
                  |    Emergency Services    |       911      |
                  |--------------------------+----------------|
                  |    Bean Machine Coffee   |    555-0110    |
                  |    Express Car Service   |    555-2222    |
                  |    Express Car Service   |    555-3333    |
                  |    Fire Proof Doors      |    555-5700    |
                  |    LCPD Recruitment      |   555-RECRUIT  |
                  |  Liberty Construction    |   555-1274-73  |
                  |  No Problemo Bail Bonds  | 555-945-733-92 |
                  |    The Serrated Edge     | 1-800-555-5555 |
                  |         Storage          |  555-221-3877  |
                  |        Superb Deli       |    555-4674    |
                  |      Used Auto Parts     |    555-7300    |
                  |    Vinewood laundromat   |    555-5123    |
                  |           ZiT*           |  948-555-0100  |
Cool, thanks. I'll give some of those a try in a while.

rhino4evr

raYne said:
Yep. There are two different everythings apart from the rocketlauncher and grenades/molotovs.

Like the other weapons, the difference is negligible.

do the molotovs replace the grenades?

I have maxed all my weapons, except for the sniper. It's annoying that I can't buy ammo for it through my discounted dealer.

Leonsito

Can anyone explain me how to fight ?

I want to get the achievement of the 10 fights in 4 minutes, but after 2 or 3 fights I'm very low on health, I don't understand how to counter-attack, it works sometimes, others don't and I get kicked my ass fastly :(

raYne

Safe Bet said:
Yeah, I got this idea for a book.

It involves a ring of great power that must be destroyed.

A group of nine chosen from the world's various races band together in an effort to destroy the ring.

However, there's a hitch.

The ring can only be carried by dwarf-like creatures called "blobbits" who are very peaceful in nature.

;)
In other news, Halo is exactly like Resistance and Splinter Cell is the same as Metal Gear. /shittylogic

..but that's enough of that. Hows about that GTA or something?

rhino4evr said:

I have maxed all my weapons, except for the sniper. It's annoying that I can't buy ammo for it through my discounted dealer.
Yep they replace them.

rhino4evr said:

When you switch weapons of the same type, the ammo from the old one carries over.

rhino4evr

BobFromPikeCreek said:
When you switch weapons of the same type, the ammo from the old one carries over.

oh really? Good to know. My TV suffers from overscan, so I have no idea how much ammo I actually have. It's sucks all sorts of ass. I wish Rockstar would fix it through a patch.

EDIT: Is the alternate to the UZI better? I find the uzi lacking.

raYne

Leonsito said:
Can anyone explain me how to fight ?

I want to get the achievement of the 10 fights in 4 minutes, but after 2 or 3 fights I'm very low on health, I don't understand how to counter-attack, it works sometimes, others don't and I get kicked my ass fastly :(
Most likely you didn't press it early enough. They dodge timing window isn't all that generous. So if you don't press sorta early, you'll get punched in the face and combo'd. It makes countering jabs a pain in the ass. :lol

If you just want it for the achievement, it doesn't actually matter if you die. Only the time matters.

Safe Bet

Banned
raYne said:
In other news, Halo is exactly like Resistance and Splinter Cell and the same as Metal Gear. /shittylogic
Shitty Logic is trying to claim Halo is as similar to Spilnter Cell as Saint's Row is to GTA, but yeah..

On-Topic:

raYne

Safe Bet said:
Shitty Logic is trying to claim Halo is as similar to Spilnter Cell as Saint's Row is to GTA, but yeah..

On-Topic:
Yeah, that's extremely shitty logic considering that's not what I meant to say.

:lol

raYne said:
I got an in-game map of the locations of all the secret stuff (weapons, armor, items, random characters, pigeons, vehicles etc) after beating the game, but I only used it once to get free armor so I don't have to pay for it anymore.

Whoa, what? That's a really cool end-game reward! Does it tell you where specific weapons are?

btw, I think Gervais is funny. Where else do you hear standup about the Faulklands? C'mon!

raYne

rhino4evr said:
EDIT: Is the alternate to the UZI better? I find the uzi lacking.
It's what I use 90% of the time.

Don't know if it's actually better than the Uzi, but I use it because, like AstroLad, it's what I use in other games when given a similar choice.. Heh.

Seemingly, the Uzi fires faster but the other is more accurate. Never actually compared them side by side though. Especially since you can only carry one or the other.

notjackbauer said:
Whoa, what? That's a really cool end-game reward! Does it tell you where specific weapons are?

btw, I think Gervais is funny. Where else do you hear standup about the Faulklands? C'mon!
It's not that extensive. Lets take weapons for example:
It'll point out all the locations of the hidden weapons all over the game world, but it won't tell you exactly what weapon is in each location.

raYne said:
It's what I use 90% of the time.

Don't know if it's actually better than the Uzi, but I use it because, like AstroLad, it's what I use in other games when given a similar choice.. Heh.

Seemingly, the Uzi fires faster but the other is more accurate. Never actually compared them side by side though. Especially since you can only carry one or the other.

Wait, is the "UZI" the "Mini-SMG"?

Because I don't use the little one, I use the cop one.

rhino4evr

BobFromPikeCreek said:
VERY much so. The SMG is pretty much my primary weapon.

oh damn, if i can keep my ammo, I will have to switch it up then. I think the uzi is super weak. I'm pretty sure the discount deals sells the SMG right?

The AK I have is pretty fantastic though, I just like to save it for special occasions.

raYne

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, is the "UZI" the "Mini-SMG"?

Because I don't use the little one, I use the cop one.
How can I trust you to watch my back in the upcoming zombie apocalypse that is Left4Dead and you don't know what an Uzi is? :/

Yeah, the Uzi is the "mini-smg" and the cop one is seemingly what myself and everyone uses. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Do you ever find the combat pistol normally in the game, as in enemy drop? I have about 10 missions to go and heard of its existence and just bought it at the store, super powerful.

Shame Jacob doesn't sell ammo for it :(

raYne

Darunia said:
Do you ever find the combat pistol normally in the game, as in enemy drop? I have about 10 missions to go and heard of its existence and just bought it at the store, super powerful.

Shame Jacob doesn't sell ammo for it :(
Some of the mafia people usually have it.

That's also my handgun of choice. :D

elseanio

Always try keep 1+ ammo in weapons too. Hate having to buy a new rocket launcher when I shoot my last rocket

And as for the Combat Pistol:

You get it during the Museum mission

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The language on the multiplayer right now is freaking embarrassing. I have submitted three bad player reviews so far.

Some multi-player questions:

1) Is there anyway for me to find only no auto-aim games?
2) Is there a list of all the unlockable multi-player clothes?

MMaRsu said:
It's GTA dude

the most casual popular game ever?

More accurately. It also attracts a wide demographic which brings in the younger online pretend gangstas.

The booting system is hard to do and way you mute people is too slow. Another example of poor online multiplayer design.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
It's GTA dude

the most casual game ever?
I know you're joking, but I'm always surprised that people don't notice that all the popular "violent" online games attract the same audience of douche quality.

Anything with killing, shooting etc (particularly vs other players) is going to have a much lower average IQ than, lets say.. a racing game.

MMaRsu

Y2Kev said:
Since when has "casual" meant "lowlife scumbag"

well since casual gamers buy it, and alot of casual gamers are morons.

At least in my experience, then again, you might have a different opinion on what 'casual' really means in gaming terms :).

I see them as the people who buy FIFA every year ;)

MMaRsu said:
well since casual gamers buy it, and alot of casual gamers are morons.

At least in my experience, then again, you might have a different opinion on what 'casual' really means in gaming terms :).

I see them as the people who buy FIFA every year ;)

Actually the regulars who buy sports games (except maybe Madden where you are dipping into a pop culture phenom) are generally much more respectable than the shooter crowd on average. Especially since you end up playing them one on one and lots of sports games have separate feedback systems versus the useless default xbox live one.

MMaRsu

raYne said:
I know you're joking, but I'm always surprised that people don't notice that all "violent" online games attract the same audience of douche quality.

Anything with killing, shooting etc (particularly vs other players) is going to have a much lower average IQ than, lets say.. a racing game.

I wasn't actually joking, but yeah it's the most popular game ever, so more douchebags and morons are going to be playing it.

And yes, violent online games do always have more idiots playing online as well, it's like that cartoon in GTAIV with the rednecks :lol

"I dunno what he's sayin' I just want to shoot"

:lol

I hope I'm not offending anyone, I don't mean casual as in, people who only buy games once in a while :).

BeeDog

Need some help with a minor mission (Stevie):

It's the second car I need to find, the Super GT. It's supposed to be on a Calcium Street, near a 69 Exchange store, but I can't for the love of God find it.
Anyone know where to find it?

Wizpig

Y2Kev said:
The language on the multiplayer right now is freaking embarrassing. I have submitted three bad player reviews so far.
Word, dude.
It's basically a bunch of 12-years old who learnt new swear words thank to the single-player and now use those in multi-player.

I hope their 360 RROD.

By the way, i want to ask something very stupid that probably was one of the first GTA IV info, back when it was announced: is this Liberty City the same one of GTA 3?
Any GTA 3 player that found some similar places, or something?

Sorry but i only tried GTA 3 for like 1 hour :D

GuessWho

am I the only one expericening major problems playing online? i could connect to games but disconnect everytime if they boot right away. It's a freaking joke.

Wizpig said:
By the way, i want to ask something very stupid that probably was one of the first GTA IV info, back when it was announced: is this Liberty City the same one of GTA 3?

Sorry but i only tried GTA 3 for like 1 hour :D

Very much not. Way bigger, way more faithful to the actual nyc- the original liberty city wasn't supposed to by nyc, just an amalgam of east coast cities. They have almost nothing in common.

raYne

Wizpig said:
Similar layout, but it's most definitely not exactly the same. Once you get to Algonquin and start driving around, you immediately notice your old stomping grounds. Middle park, the streets, the bridges, the location of your 1st hideout in GTA3 etc. But it's not a 1:1 representation.

firehawk12 said:
AK47 vs M4/M16? Any opinions?
I only used the AK once, so... yeah.

Does the health cheat fix your car? I'm OCD about the cars I keep and whenever I get a little damage on them I have to take it to a pay n spray or find a new ride.

raYne

Jamesfrom818 said:
Does the health cheat fix your car? I'm OCD about the cars I keep and whenever I get a little damage on them I have to take it to a pay n spray or find a new ride.
Just park it at your hideout's reserved space. When you leave the area/island and come back the car re-loads with everything else and is repaired good as new.

No money spent.

edit:
..and since we're on the subject of the Pay N Spray, it's complete fucking bullshit that you STILL can't just pick a color you want and instead have to drive in and out hoping and praying that it'll actually be the color you want.

I hate to constantly bring it up, but SR did that better too.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
notjackbauer said:

You can get that end game reward map at anytime. Just go to the internet in-game and enter "whattheydontwantyoutoknow.com"

All the weapon drops will show up on the map for you. I haven't tried it yet cause I bought the guide but they showed that a couple of days ago on Xplay.
And it doesn't effect achievements at all because it's not actually a cheat, just a secret.

Top Bottom