• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

bdizzle said:
does this mean that we wont be able to tune into a radio station that plays custom music while we're in the car as well? i want to listen to my own music if i want, i just dont want it to drown out all the in-game sound in the process.

You can control the volume of the custom soundtracks, so you shouldn't have any problem hearing in game sound but unfortunately it won't completely stop in moments where there should be no music at all. They really should have allowed a custom radio station and they also shouldn't have cut the out of car radio either. They're not any kind of deal breaker, just a couple small disappointments for me.

A French mag named PSM3 reviewed it and gave it a 20/20. Here are some notes from El Patron at GTAForums.

The immensity of the city is almost frightening
The graphics are very cared for whatever subject or detail. Everything shines, everything is beautiful!
Walking in San Andreas with no aim in the streets was sometimes boring. The beauty of Liberty City and its animation make walking a real pleasure
It's Roman that motivate Niko to start missions by always reminding him the big plans of the family Bellic.
You can make work joy girls.
Weapons stores will be in Liberty City
You'll be able to take the subway to travel LC
During the missions, Niko could put to good use his abilities to climb and infiltrate quietly.
[spoiler[In a mission, Niko and his friends had to steal the trunk of a bank using explosives. This was followed by a race with the SWAT, helicopters, and Niko had to take refuge in the Underground subway to gain $250000.[/spoiler]
In the clothing stores, you choose your clothes and you try them directly.
The Pay N Spray is not being used to evade the cops, just to paint your car.
The only bugs noticed by the journalists are the problem of sight, and the heavy motions of the character.

chubigans said:
I have no idea, but probably. Which could be a problem since there are news reports on the radio that update you on the city (like all GTA games).

Custom soundtracks don't belong in GTA anyways...just stick with the radio for maximum awesome.

they def belong in there to me. i get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and over again. makes me want to shut the music off completely.

Felix Lighter said:
You can control the volume of the custom soundtracks, so you shouldn't have any problem hearing in game sound but unfortunately it won't completely stop in moments where there should be no music at all. They really should have allowed a custom radio station and they also shouldn't have cut the out of car radio either. They're not any kind of deal breaker, just a couple small disappointments for me.

well i believe it was gow, but the custom music didnt stop once the cut-scenes started. was pretty annoying. it's not a deal breaker for me, just trying to figure out which version to get. so far it's acheivements/360 guide music vs free online/reliable & quiet hardware.

raYne

bdizzle said:
they def belong in there to me. i get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and over again. makes me want to shut the music off completely.

well i believe it was gow, but the custom music didnt stop once the cut-scenes started. was pretty annoying. it's not a deal breaker for me, just trying to figure out which version to get. so far it's acheivements/360 guide music vs free online/reliable & quiet hardware.
Never ran into that before (never tried using one on Gears though), but if it does happen and you have the 360 remote, you can stop/pause/skip/whatever whenever you want. So you could use that as a workaround and pause the music during the cutscenes.

raYne said:
Never ran into that before (never tried using one on Gears though), but if it does happen and you have the 360 remote, you can stop/pause/skip/whatever whenever you want. So you could use that as a workaround and pause the music during the cutscenes.

i think you underestimate how lazy i am..........

but yeah ill end up doing that if it comes to that. it looks like it's going to boil down to better graphics and/or load times between the two versions. either that or flip a coin when i get there

SolidSnakex said:
A French mag named PSM3 reviewed it and gave it a 20/20. Here are some notes from El Patron at GTAForums.
In a mission, Niko and his friends had to steal the trunk of a bank using explosives. This was followed by a race with the SWAT, helicopters, and Niko had to take refuge in the Underground subway to gain $250000.
JESUS IN A TEACUP

bdizzle said:
So the DLC isn't a factor for you?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
chubigans said:
Just browsing through some pics...never saw this one:

gtaIV.png

Amazin'.
Not possible. NO, NOT POSSIBLE. MY MIND. NO.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Talladega Knight said:
Nice pic, but what makes it so amazingly mind blowing?
Compared to other GTA4 pics we've seen, this one's extremely smooth and clear. Also the fact that there are so many polices on the same screen makes me wet!

Gary Whitta said:
So the DLC isn't a factor for you?

naw not really. by the time the dlc comes out i would have moved on to something else. i still love cod4 and halo 3, ill have mgs4 in a few months, and hopefully dbz burst limit will be out. by the time it hits, ill be in "gta who?" mode

Ten-Song

bdizzle said:
naw not really. by the time the dlc comes out i would have moved on to something else. i still love cod4 and halo 3, ill have mgs4 in a few months, and hopefully dbz burst limit will be out. by the time it hits, ill be in "gta who?" mode

I have no idea how someone could do that. Every time a GTA game comes out, it sucks years out of my life, not months. But then again, if the DLC is just a new story and such, and doesn't actually contain any REAL new content, then I'll most likely skip it too.

Ten-Song said:
I have no idea how someone could do that. Every time a GTA game comes out, it sucks years out of my life, not months. But then again, if the DLC is just a new story and such, and doesn't actually contain any REAL new content, then I'll most likely skip it too.

i like gta, but im more of a metal gear/final fantasy fanboy. the only reason im hyped for gta4 is because the story this time around actually seems intriguing to me. im gonna play the hell outta it til june 12th tho, then the kojima fanboy in me will take over

unless gta4 is really that epic!

newsguy

Loudninja said:
So they are still in the game.

Which is cool, but if that's the case, I want the option of paint color. I don't care for all the upgrades (which are confirmed to be out) because the car is going to explode anyway, but it would be nice to have the option like Burnout where I can choose pearlescent, metallic, and colors.

FightyF

Banned
chubigans said:
Custom built-in soundtracks on either version was already shot down by Rockstar some time ago. You'll have to have the guide play over everything if you want it. :\

NOOOO!

And I think CS has a place in GTA, especially when there are no representations of some genres of music.

newsguy

Himuro said:
I've got these reviews listed in the second post. Are these the reviews we know of so far?

Official Xbox Magazine UK - 10/10

Official Playstation Magazine UK - 10/10

PSM3 France - 20/20

The German Mag Games Aktuell reviewed it but I don't think they gave a clear */10

Loudninja

SolidSnakex said:
Heh I don't know, i'm just saying that'd be a really good time to rob them. :p

Yeah it would,maybe we can? :)

- The police system has been entirely retooled. You will not instantly become wanted whenever you commit a crime now, even in public. If there are no cops around, and someone sees you, they will have to notify the police. It sounds extremely similar to The Warriors, it sounds like. When and if you commit a crime in public and the police are notified, a circular search area will appear on your radar. The fuzz will go on high alert. If you are outside of this area the cops will not be able to find you unless you commit another crime. If you are spotted in the circular area, the police will follow you to that location. Thus, if you are sneaky, they will not know where you are.

The police system sounds so much better than pass GTA games.

Edit:By the way Himuro their are Pay and Spray shops, but they are only use to change the color of your vehicle.

Loudninja said:
Yeah it would,maybe we can? :)

The police system sounds so much better than pass GTA games.

Edit:By the way Himuro their are Pay and Spray shops, but they are only use to change the color of your vehicle.
So...what if only one person sees you commit and crime....and then you kill them? You will get no wanted level at all?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MWS Natural said:
So...what if only one person sees you commit and crime....and then you kill them? You will get no wanted level at all?

As long as nobody sees you kill the guy who saw your first murder, nothing will happen. :)

newsguy said:
The German Mag Games Aktuell reviewed it but I don't think they gave a clear */10

Yeah, no overall */10 but they broke it down this-wise:

German magazine Games Aktuell is the latest magazine to review Grand Theft Auto IV. Here is their verdict:

* Graphics: 9/10
The gigantic size of the city makes you forget the few graphical imperfections of the game.
* Sound: 10/10
Best GTA soundtrack ever, and probably the most compelling feature in the game.
* Controls: 8/10
Far from perfect but a big step from the previous GTA games.
* Multiplayer: 9/10
Great concept and innovative integration with the single-player mode.
* Gameplay: 10/10
We can't score it 11/10...
* Conclusion:
GTA4 is by far the best action game ever created.

By far the best action game ever created.

newsguy

Papercuts said:
As long as nobody sees you kill the guy who saw your first murder, nothing will happen. :)

Correct, but me and my buddies were just discussing this scenario. Because I'm a frustrated sniper (I always wanted to be one as a kid) I love to snipe people in GTA games. Now with the vertical exploration the possibilities for amazing sniping are endless. So here's the question, if I'm on a rooftop and I'm aiming at Times Square foot traffic, and I snipe someone in broad daylight in front of 50 people, what happens?

Obviously the cops will be called out, but do I get a star? No one knows where the shot came from, and I'm 100 yards from the incident. How awesome would it be to not get a star in this scenario, but be able to see what ensues from the comfort of your rooftop.

I'm talking seeing the cops arrive, seeing the medics arrive and take the body, the onlookers in shock, and whatever random GTA craziness that may ensue (crazy peds attack cops). If this plays out this way, I may never leave my little cubbie hole!

FirewalkR

FFChris said:
Wonder what the first magazine to give this less than a perfect score will be.

The only mags to score GTA4 less than perfect will be the ones that score in a 1-100 scale. Anything below 97 should be unnaceptable.
And on a 1-10 scale, anything below 10 is unnaceptable, of course. I mean, EDGE practically gave it a 10 in the preview. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
newsguy said:
Correct, but me and my buddies were just discussing this scenario. Because I'm a frustrated sniper (I always wanted to be one as a kid) I love to snipe people in GTA games. Now with the vertical exploration the possibilities for amazing sniping are endless. So here's the question, if I'm on a rooftop and I'm aiming at Times Square foot traffic, and I snipe someone in broad daylight in front of 50 people, what happens?

Obviously the cops will be called out, but do I get a star? No one knows where the shot came from, and I'm 100 yards from the incident. How awesome would it be to not get a star in this scenario, but be able to see what ensues from the comfort of your rooftop.

I'm talking seeing the cops arrive, seeing the medics arrive and take the body, the onlookers in shock, and whatever random GTA craziness that may ensue (crazy peds attack cops). If this plays out this way, I may never leave my little cubbie hole!

Maybe in GTAV

Pimpbaa

You just know a few sites will give this game to there most bitter and jaded reviewer just to lower the average score the game will get (I'm looking at you 1up).

MercuryLS

Banned
Does anyone know what retailers are giving away the GTAIV license plate with pre-orders? I really want to get that.

Or even which retailers are giving away the GTAIV faceplate.

painey

I would imagine "peds calling the cops" only works for minor offenses, just to encourage you not to commit too many crimes casually. I think sending a rocket into a cop car is getting you two stars if you were standing 10 foot away or if you were wearing Snakes camo suit on top of the brooklyn bridge

Top Bottom