• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGrnP8l_nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZe3SO9rIH0

Two 10 minute clips from Lazlow's interview on Opie & Anthony on Friday. I haven't listened to what's in those clips as I listened to the whole show. I just know the whole interview isn't there. But the full one at least had some great stuff and it was cool hearing their reaction to the game being played.

I'll post the whole interview as an mp3 later or something, but that works for now.

Lots of audio from the game (a lot of which they play are O&A references), including some comedic songs from the radio.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
skinnyrattler said:
Leave now, before the mods find you. All happy smiles from us...cuz we're stuck. But you can leave while you still have a chance..

GOOOO!!!
nikowalkgaf.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Eric WK said:
Older than sin.

... Okay, well you got me there.

BUT STILL. Maybe someone missed it. :D

After listening to O&A though, I'm definitely buying this day one. It sounds like so much fun.

I've never been into GTA, but never tried too hard to get into them. This'll be my first.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
got2bekidding said:
I think you mean more linear and you eat food to gain health. I also read about
sleeping to gain health
in a preview.

The main story will progress, as Scopebob said by the icons, but it will also have some non linear aspects in that side missions can be found just by walking the streets (i.e. someone will walk up to you, talk for a bit, and ask for your help). Whether or not you chose to help them is a decision for you to make. You will always know where to go as far as the main story. The big thing with GTAIV will be that there will be several ways you can complete the objective such as "balls to the wall, let's go get him" style or making a plan by obtaining information through several means the world provides, for example: the internet or cop cars.

Edit: Also, my opinion is that there are a couple must have games that come every year. GTAIV is one of those games for this year.

painey said:
You have a health bar on the HUD, if you get fucked up your health goes down, the only way to refill it is to eat food, hotdogs, burgers, etc. I dont know why people didnt know this, its common knowledge.

Thanks painey, got2bekidding and everyone else who replied to my questions. I think I will pick this game up. I'm starting to finally appreciate the 3D action shooter genre. I always told myself that racing and jrpgs were the only two genres I'd get into but that's no longer the case, especially after playing brilliant games like Uncharted, Gears, Orange Box, and Bioshock.

Damn, simply too many games coming out these days...

Oh and one other question on the eating food to regain health issue....can you take food with you and keep it in an inventory of sort? So like I get shot and lose some health, can I reach in a bag or something to grab a hamburger, or do I have to travel to a food joint/restaurant to regain my health?

isamu said:
Oh and one other question on the eating food to regain health issue....can you take food with you and keep it in an inventory of sort? So like I get shot and lose some health, can I reach in a bag or something to grab a hamburger, or do I have to travel to a food joint/restaurant to regain my health?
No problem. You aren't able to carry around food in your inventory. The only things I believe you can carry are weapons and your phone. Food has always been one of those "go and get some more" type of items for when you finish missions or get hurt while goofing off in the city. It's part of the strategy of the game because you only have so much health to complete a mission. In the previous games, there were floating hearts scattered about the city and sometimes these could be found during the mission, but Rockstar has done away with all the floating items for a more realistic approach. With that said, there could be a hotdog vendor with his cart or a drink machine that you may happen upon during a mission and could refuel there if you need to.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bet you can call an ambulance and regain your health that way (but it'll cost money, unless you have insurance, which you probably don't). Saint's Row had that (but I don't think it cost money though).

Chrange

Banned
Did anyone ever find out a definitive yes or no on LAN play? I'm trying to go through pages, but my connection is ridiculously slow right now.

FFChris

I personally won't be watching any gameplay videos. I'm glad they haven't released anything, it will be much more exciting when you first get to play it and you've never seen it running.

Keyser Soze said:
gameplay video, soundtrack...

dammit internet why will you not work like you usually do....

My guess is IGN will have a ton of stuff this week. They will have exclusive content all week. They are calling it GTA IV week.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
cjtiger300 said:
My guess is IGN will have a ton of stuff this week. They will have exclusive content all week. They are calling it GTA IV week.
I'm DEFINITELY not watching that. I remember not looking at any gameplay footage of GTA3 back in the days and I was amazed by it when I played it.

The same thing will happen to GTA4.

Seiken said:
I'm DEFINITELY not watching that. I remember not looking at any gameplay footage of GTA3 back in the days and I was amazed by it when I played it.

Yeah, I don't think I will watch it either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seiken said:

Except GTA3 was pretty much the first of its kind. 4 is based off off 3s mechanics.

Fuck. IGN got the exclusive. I guess that means I have been relegated to the 320x180 resolution streaming gameplay videos that us in the non Insiders ghetto get.

If only Gametrailers or 1UP got the exclusive....

Keyser Soze said:
Can somone point me to the Houser DLC city debunk? I cant find it :(

Neither can I. It would have been nice if the person who mentioned it included a link.

edit: might have found it?
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/g...0080311182323187062/g-2006051014323586065/p-4

- And that DLC promises to be pretty damn substantial, maybe even equating to something rivalling a whole new game when it’s all released: "I think the mission packs with the episodes are going to be pretty deep, offering another full-on adventure in this world. I think we will be in a position to market them not a million miles away from the way the boxed game is marketed."

I wouldnt say that exactly debunks it yet. That was also in March.

Either way the story wasn't the point of my post, it still sounds like the DLC will be substantial and should guarantee the 360 version is the better option imo.

pubba

I can't believe it's just 8 days away (In Australia anyhow)

That last month just flew by.. Hard to believe in just over a week we will all be neglecting GAF, happily immersed in Liberty City :D

painey

chubigans said:
Arent there only five stars now?

No.

Guled said:
did they take out tanks in the game? If so, what will the military use when you get 6 stars?

Relentless pursuit by police and SWAT by car, water, foot and air, with shoot on sight rules of engagement and a huge search radius.

S1kkZ

i think the game will be available by the end of next week. my local store will get it thursday (thats what the store manager said). they also got halo 3 almost 1 week earlier, so i hope he is right.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
S1kkZ said:
i think the game will be available by the end of next week. my local store will get it thursday (thats what the store manager said). they also got halo 3 almost 1 week earlier, so i hope he is right.

Not expecting many stores, definitely no chains, to release early.

I wish more companies would follow the Gears of War model, have an official launch "celebration" day, but be flexible on the actual release of the game. Wonder if Gears 2 will do the same...

Wow. Just been into my local GAME, some interesting tidbits/bargains:

GTA is no longer being offered for preorder. GAME rarely do this, but my local store has taken around 550 preorders for the 360 and around 290 for the PS3. No copies for non-preorder customers... unless some people don't pick theirs up in 24 hours, then there'll be spares.

Wii Fit is in a similar situation. They already have their stock for launch of this, and are told no more is coming.

Anecdotal information, but still. This is gonna be so huge.

N.A

Banned
Hope I can get this on release day (no pre-order), I'll be trying Asda, Tesco & Argos.

I'm also ready this week to go to any reasonably distanced store if I hear of anyone breaking the street-date. (I got Halo 3 a week early :D )

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
I doubt I'll be getting GTA before the 29th. We don't have any small video game stores mostly eb games and gamestop. If there is anybody in the NJ area let me know if any store is going to break the street date.

derder

Qwerty710710 said:
I doubt I'll be getting GTA before the 29th. We don't have any small video game stores mostly eb games and gamestop. If there is anybody in the NJ area let me know if any store is going to break the street date.
I'm hitting up Kmart.

Go early in the morning. The people that work in the electronics in the morning (if there is anyone there at all) usually have even less of an idea of what is going on.

Sylar

Banned
I'm with (and It kills me to say this about a dirty Mets fan) QWERTY here in that theres only ebgames and gamestop here :(.

I think I mentioned this already, but my EB is doing a midnight launch, and I managed to get Tuesday and Wednesday off. I'm literally not going to sleep for those two days.

Tobor

derder said:
I'm hitting up Kmart.

Go early in the morning. The people that work in the electronics in the morning (if there is anyone there at all) usually have even less of an idea of what is going on.

It worked for Mass effect. It's probably worth a shot.

newsguy

disappeared said:
I think I mentioned this already, but my EB is doing a midnight launch, and I managed to get Tuesday and Wednesday off. I'm literally not going to sleep for those two days.

Yep, my GS is doing it too. I think most will other that the inner city stores that close like at 6pm to avoid being raped and shot (no lie). I got Tuesday off so I am going to have at least 1 free day to dive into it.

Xdrive05

The collectors edition SOUNDTRACK, BITCHES! What's in it?

For fuck sakes already. How can this not be known this late into the game?

Zep

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:

Go to the baseball thread and say something nice about the Phillies. I just might PM you a couple locations.

:)

Top Bottom