• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Well I think the whole, driving in for a 2 min color change to loose the cops is a bit of a stretch, its probably to make it a bit more realistic, is my guess.

Saiyu

Himuro said:
Same license.

Ahh I see. I got the idea from reading in UK's xbox world 360 GTA preview:

"Despite the camera problems we managed to shake the cops (by ducking into a nearby Pay and Spray) and slowly drove to the mission end."

Something I just noticed in a review, they say that if the ped sees the car coming right before you hit them, they'll put there arms out like there trying to stop the car, I love details.

Can't wait for this. Too bad it comes out during my Finals week, going to wait an extra week to play so I don't completely trash all my tests.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Himuro said:
Wow. A thread at gtaforums has some really good comparison shots from LC to NYC.

17statestreetll0.jpg

My dad designed 17 state street...holy awesomeness :eek: :D Cant wait to show him this.

This is sort of off topic, but do you think it would be possible to find a toslink optical audio cable and an cat5e ethernet cable for less than $14 total? I could buy them individually for about $3 each at monoprice.com, but after $7.50 shipping, and tax, it comes out to about $14. I'm asking here since... well... I'm basically buying them for this game, along with any other games I'll be playing on my 360 in the future.
Also, the cat5e ethernet cable needs to be pretty long. Like... 25 feet long. >_> I'll be putting it through a hole in my living room floor, through my basement, then up through another hole which is near my wireless router.

MercuryLS

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys think I could pre-order at Futureshop tomorrow and still get it at midnight launch? I've had my Walmart pre-order for two months now, but I'm worried they aren't doing a midnight launch. If I call and find out they aren't I'm going to switch over.

I think you'll be fine, I went to the midnight launch of Halo 3 with no pre-order and got one no prob.

iceatcs

Himuro said:
Edit

This shot is just amazing. I haven't seen that Firefly Island overhead shot. Where the hell did it come from?
How many are rideable? I have heard roller-coaster does.

I can see Go-kart might be mini-game.

Sylar

Banned
Man can you imagine if they waited a generation and did the Warriors with GTA4's engine? It'd be craaaazy. They could already use that city and just change it up a bit.

Sorry that Firefly Island picture of the carnival made me go into Warriors reminisce mode :D

Pimpbaa

Sylar said:
Man can you imagine if they waited a generation and did the Warriors with GTA4's engine? It'd be craaaazy. They could already use that city and just change it up a bit.

Sorry that Firefly Island picture of the carnival made me go into Warriors reminisce mode :D

I would like to see it remade for next gen like Bully was. But only if it's not done by mad doc software.

Sylar

Banned
Oh man I hope it does get a remake or sequel. What team made it again? Leeds?

Also still need to pick up Warrirors PSP.

j-wood

ILOVEASIANS said:
Can't wait for this. Too bad it comes out during my Finals week, going to wait an extra week to play so I don't completely trash all my tests.

Dude I was in the same boat as you. I have a final Monday morning at 8, and then one at 2. On Tuesday I have a final at 8 am, then I am finished.

My gamestop is doing a midnight launch, so I was sad that I would have to go get the game, then not be able to play it. Then a miracle happened. My Tuesday final was moved to Wednesday morning at 10:30

So I get to pick up the game Monday night, and play for a long long time :lol

X26

Banned
Yea I'm surprised no one who has played ut has mentioned robbery yet. I'm hopping for the VC approach to return, or even better "copy" exactly what Saint's Row did. Say what you will about SR, but the robbery system is AWESOME

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
X26 said:
Yea I'm surprised no one who has played ut has mentioned robbery yet. I'm hopping for the VC approach to return, or even better "copy" exactly what Saint's Row did. Say what you will about SR, but the robbery system is AWESOME

Please explain for those of us who have never played it.

Keyser Soze said:
Stupid internet failing... need gameplay video

ARGH!!!!!!!

A gameplay video is about the last thing GTAIV related that I want to see right now. I can't wait to take those first strides through the gigantic Liberty City without already having seen it on Youtube or something.

disappeared said:
A gameplay video is about the last thing GTAIV related that I want to see right now. I can't wait to take those first strides through the gigantic Liberty City without already having seen it on Youtube or something.

You're right, it would be nice to do that for once, as I have already seen every other game I've played in the last few years before playing.

However, I really want to know the soundtrack and see a bit of the gameplay before I play the game.

If something does not come out before next friday I think I will hold off though, and just wait to play myself.

acevans2

Matrix said:
My dad designed 17 state street...holy awesomeness :eek: :D Cant wait to show him this.
Hopefully getting into a video game isn't as important to him as getting an amazing building design made into reality...

BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys think I could pre-order at Futureshop tomorrow and still get it at midnight launch? I've had my Walmart pre-order for two months now, but I'm worried they aren't doing a midnight launch. If I call and find out they aren't I'm going to switch over.

Might as well call Futureshop to see if there is an open spot. No harm in doing so.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
acevans2 said:
Hopefully getting into a video game isn't as important to him as getting an amazing building design made into reality...

:lol

Trust me it wont be,he will most likely just shrug his shoulders.His building is always in movies,tv shows and all over postcards featuring the city.

I just think it's cool :)

holdincourt said:
What kind of sound / audio quality can we expect from GTAIV?
DTS in any form or manner? 5.1 surround?

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/grand-theft-auto-iv-audio-qa/a-20080418152838249060

The ambient effects change dramatically based on your location in the city, the time of day, and so on – so it’s very dynamic, and obviously not just a pre-canned loop of ‘city ambience’. It was our aim that you could place the player in a random position on the map, shut your eyes and listen, and be able to tell where you are, and what time of day it is, and I think we’ve achieved that pretty well.

Damn.

Stealth Edit: Didnt catch the cooney bit. That cant be ingame.

bigmakstudios said:
This is sort of off topic, but do you think it would be possible to find a toslink optical audio cable and an cat5e ethernet cable for less than $14 total? I could buy them individually for about $3 each at monoprice.com, but after $7.50 shipping, and tax, it comes out to about $14. I'm asking here since... well... I'm basically buying them for this game, along with any other games I'll be playing on my 360 in the future.
Also, the cat5e ethernet cable needs to be pretty long. Like... 25 feet long. >_> I'll be putting it through a hole in my living room floor, through my basement, then up through another hole which is near my wireless router.

if you have a frys in your area mad catz ps3 optical cable is 9.99 and i dont think ur gonna get a 25 foot ethernet cable for less than $10 at a store.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Heh, I'm off to work in a few hours then its pretty much non stop for the rest of the week. It should go very quickly then I have 4 whole days off with no work or girlfriend to distract me. Just the occasional beer run to the fridge. :lol

wow ok its 2:14 am, i just woke up from having a dream of me and niko trying to buy some AK-47s off a group of these weird Russian dudes and it was a setup. I saw it was a setup and we took off on bikes being chased. I had a colt 45 in hand blasting people while being chased...

I gotta stop checking this thread and reading about this game...:lol

zombi

OK so I dont know why but all the sudden today I got SUPER hyped for gta4. Just right out of the blue, completely unusual. So I went and did gamestops promo deal. Cannot wait!!!

painey

Himuro said:
If his radar is correct, Niko is running on a building.

While the screenshot is clearly fake, this is incorrect. Just because its a dark area on the mini map does not indicate building, the map only differentiates between road and non road.

Really looking forward to this now. Not really read much about it so I'm going in pretty much blind. All I know is your in liberty city and you play as Nico. Hope to remain in the dark until I get it.

Eric WK

Himuro said:
How you like the new avvy, guys?

Er How big was the Halo 3 official thread when the game came out? We're at 1500+ posts and 90k views and the game isn't out for a week. :lol

The Halo 3 thread had almost 21,000 posts when the game came out.

Top Bottom