• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
derder said:
I'm hitting up Kmart.

Go early in the morning. The people that work in the electronics in the morning (if there is anyone there at all) usually have even less of an idea of what is going on.

The good old "I was talking to the dude here last night and he told me to come in and get it today" line always works.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
pubba said:
I can't believe it's just 8 days away (In Australia anyhow)

That last month just flew by.. Hard to believe in just over a week we will all be neglecting GAF, happily immersed in Liberty City :D

The great GAF Exodus of 2008.

For days there will be nothing but posts going "OMG I HAS TEH GAME!" and "ZOMG! I JUST DID SOMETHING AMAZING".

Then the comparisons between PS3 and X360 will begin and GAF should start getting back to normal just in time for everyone to run off and play way too much MGS4.

Router said:
The great GAF Exodus of 2008.

For days there will be nothing but posts going "OMG I HAS TEH GAME!" and "ZOMG! I JUST DID SOMETHING AMAZING".

Then the comparisons between PS3 and X360 will begin and GAF should start getting back to normal just in time for everyone to run off and play way too much MGS4.

The console wars should be really fun on this one.

Himuro said:
Felix, where are you in GTAIII? I've unlocked Ray's strand and Kenji's. Finished Asuka's mission strand...for now. Should unlock Donald Love's soon.

I'm on the mission where you destroy the Cartels ship with 8-ball. I've really fallen behind.

Bluecondor

Himuro said:

I don't think this is crushing news or anything....

If this is referring to the fact that we won't be able to import custom .mp3s and listen to them in-game on our cell phones, I swear we already knew this. I thought they were pretty clear about not supporting custom soundtracks, and the whole Rockstar Social Club/ZiT music download service via Amazon had essentially confirmed that there would not be support for custom music in-game. Otherwise, what would stop you from just going on-line and finding songs (and thus bypassing having to buy the songs via ZiT/Amazon).

If this is "news," then this suggests that we will not be able to listen to the radio stations via our cell phone. As someone pointed out on the gtaiv.net site, this feature (being able to listen to radio stations when on foot) was in Saints Row. I don't know about everyone else, but I never used this feature in Saints Row. I just don't need to have in game radio stations playing while I am running around and doing things on foot.

I prefer listening to the in-game radio while I am driving around. I don't even use the feature if it is available to me while on foot.

Teknoman

ggp759 said:
Rockstar axes major feature from GTA IV by n4g.com Don't know if it was posted before.
http://www.gtagaming.com/gtagaming/news/comments.php?i=1301

Well that sucks. There goes my soundtrack fueled shoot outs once the action gets started... Any reason why they took it out?

EDIT: You know I never realized it was in Saints Row? Guess it wont be that big a deal then, since I dont remember using it...but still.

cjtiger300 said:
The console wars should be really fun on this one.

If anything its either going to be people complaining about disc read errors, online conduct between LIVE and PSN, or just controls. Maybe once the DLC hits then the real stuff will start.

Has anyone spotted the official guide book for this in the stores yet? I'm planning on getting it in case I get stuck and also to help find as much secret stuff as possible. I remember the San Andreas guide was as thick as a frickin' phone book - I shudder to think how big this one is going to be.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Gary Whitta said:
Has anyone spotted the official guide book for this in the stores yet? I'm planning on getting it in case I get stuck and also to help find as much secret stuff as possible. I remember the San Andreas guide was as thick as a frickin' phone book - I shudder to think how big this one is going to be.

It's street-dated for the 29th.

If you want it early, you might have better luck with online bookstores. Amazon may ship on the 24th:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0744009332/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Xdrive05

I was really, REALLY looking forward to radio on foot. That's a HUGE fuckup to me.

But then again it never really made much sense to begin with. You jump in a car, then what? You cell phone radio automatically turns itself off?

Didn't one of the game's reviews mention that this feature was still in there? Could they even have axed it since the review build?

Doc Evils

Gary Whitta said:

heh yeah I love getting strategy guides for GTA. It's one of few game types worth getting for since so many detailed get explained that might be missed out on online text guides.

Xdrive05

If you read the comments about the "news" it appears there's good reason to be skeptical. Apparently it may only be referring to MP3s and not the radio stations.

IMHO it would have been best if the damn guidebook wasn't released until like, may 23 or something, now everything will be spoiler'd before the game comes out and that "first one to achieve 100%" boils down to "fastest one to read a book" contest

I'm curious as to what sort of "4th wall" stuff Rockstar has planned for this game. I remember calling random numbers that you hear on the radio in Vice City and actually getting a funny recording. There was also an address to get free V-Rock stickers in Vice City Stories that was a real address. I still have the stickers. The possibilities for IV are endless...

newsguy

It sucks that the music phone was cut but there are 2 things about it initially that I didn't like. It was said that it took a while to actually get the upgraded phone with this feature. Also, the sound was supposed to be tinny to mimic the shitty sound that comes from a cell. My guess is that R* figured the tinny sound would turn people off and it wouldn't get much use anyway.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I hope they allow us to turn off the radio frequency like SA did. While it's more realistic to have a bass-heavy soundtrack in a car vs a tinny motorcycle radio...it's not aurally pleasing.

About the only thing I'm annoyed with so far is the lock on aiming. Sure we're given the option for manual aiming, but whats the point? I know its an option that I can turn off in multiplayer, but for campaign its like...if its there why not use it? Depending on how difficult things are though, I might just turn it off if I'm able. I see no reason why I should cheapen the gunplay experience.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just browsing through some pics...never saw this one:

gtaIV.png

Amazin'.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The police Hummer, yeah, definitely for me. Hopefully they've weighed it down a bit unlike the last games...I want to ram people with it, not roll over them. :p

newsguy

chubigans said:
The police Hummer, yeah, definitely for me. Hopefully they've weighed it down a bit unlike the last games...I want to ram people with it, not roll over them. :p

Like this?
4370-gtaiv-screenshot.jpg

Here's a Variety interview with Dan Houser.
http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/04/dan-housers-ver.html

Me: Are there are a lot of things in “GTA IV” that are qualitatively different? That is, they’re not just “more” or “better,” they’re completely different and new?

DH: Oh yea, the whole game. What we wanted was the feeling when you saw “GTA 3” after “GTA 2?” The feeling when see “4” compared to “3,” hopefully it’s not difficult to see differences.

A really simple one is the physics. The idea that if a guy falls down a wall, we have that running in real time the way he crumbles or compacts. It’s stuff you could only do in pre-rendered CGI before. That’s amazing and we’re the first ones to use that technology.

Me: This game is actually smaller in area than “San Andreas,” right?

DH: Yes, but not the city. It’s the biggest city we ever built, but not the biggest area. If the difference from “GTA 2” to “3” was 3D, then this time it was from low-def to hi-def. What that meant was detail. Everything has to be insanely detailed. The graphics, animation, behavior, dialogue, artificial intelligence. So we thought that kind of scale was handleable.

Me: Do you consciously think about making the game more accessible to people who don’t play a lot of videogames? Do you think about doing difficult levels?

DH: No, we don’t like that [difficulty levels]. There are a few things hidden away if you keep failing to make it a bit easier. But no one knows that’s going on. That’s stuff we put in there so people keep playing and don’t run into a brick wall

A really simple one is the physics. The idea that if a guy falls down a wall, we have that running in real time the way he crumbles or compacts. It’s stuff you could only do in pre-rendered CGI before. That’s amazing and we’re the first ones to use that technology.

JESUS CRYSIS SOMEONE CUFF MY TESTICLES BEFORE THEY DROP

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bdizzle said:
does this mean that we wont be able to tune into a radio station that plays custom music while we're in the car as well? i want to listen to my own music if i want, i just dont want it to drown out all the in-game sound in the process.

Custom built-in soundtracks on either version was already shot down by Rockstar some time ago. You'll have to have the guide play over everything if you want it. :\

chubigans said:
Custom built-in soundtracks on either version was already shot down by Rockstar some time ago. You'll have to have the guide play over everything if you want it. :\

oh ok, didnt know that. ive been ignoring any mgs and gta news to cut down on spoilers. dont know if you know, but if we play the music through the guide will it mute all in-game audio? i know some games does this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have no idea, but probably. Which could be a problem since there are news reports on the radio that update you on the city (like all GTA games).

Custom soundtracks don't belong in GTA anyways...just stick with the radio for maximum awesome.

Top Bottom