• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

painey

llTll said:
these shots look REALLY bad.

is this the PS3 version ?

lol ease up tiger, they are the same shots gamesradar used for their 360 article, just very badly suffering from artifacts probably due to scaling and compression.

I remember the first time I saw San Andreas gameplay videos.. there was huge buzz online that the torrent had leaked and I found a youtube video someone had posted a video of CJ on the freeway near the base jump part of SA.. I turned it off early and decided right then and there to go out with my friends and hunt it down at midnight

Tieno

Just ordered it (PS3), came down to 43euros.

Himuro said:
I'm assuming they're from Australia and New Zealand, which is censored. So they want to import for the most authentic GTAIV experience.
I live in Belgium and it's purely a price issue for me.

New review from Empire? ....nothing to in it though
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?GID=522
large_5.gif

....out of 5

I've highlighted the important parts....

Let’s get straight to the point: GTA IV doesn’t reinvent the wheel. It sticks with the same mission-based structure as its predecessors, is crammed with challenges that inspire a nagging sense of déjà vu, and if you’re looking for a game that retools the freeform, sandbox adventure from the ground up, this isn’t it.

However, what GTA IV does do is polish every facet of the franchise to within an inch of its life – from the bustling streets and cinematic presentation, to the brutal gunplay and dizzying car chases – in turn creating the ultimate GTA, a game that will delight the hardcore and newbies alike, and a title virtually guaranteed to be 2008’s biggest videogame.

Ditching the series’ over-the-top badasses in favour of a realistic, downtrodden anti-hero, GTA IV adopts a more mature and less frivolous approach to its murderous plot, a move that will be welcomed by fans who’ll see how the series is growing with them. But while this restrained take allows for a grittier, more believable atmosphere, it’s the little things that make GTA IV an unfettered joy.

From the new GPS that uses coloured lines to guide you through the busy streets – allowing players to focus on the action with the GPS in their peripheral vision, rather than constantly taking your eye off the road to squint at the tiny map – to the stripped-down displays that remove clutter from the screen, GTA IV feels friendlier and more accomplished than its predecessors. Moreover, while the developers introduced clumsy RPG elements in GTA: San Andreas that often brought the action crashing to a standstill, GTA IV’s more streamlined action means players can get straight down to business, gratification coming from seeing their character juggle relationships with key members of the criminal underworld, rather than buffing them out by pounding tedious gym machines for hours.

Other clever tweaks – including the ability to restart missions, rather than trailing across the map to resume challenges – remove the niggling frustrations that hampered previous editions, but where GTA IV really shines is in its combat: unlike the ham-fisted shooting of old, which relied as much on luck as skill, the gunplay is sharp and instinctive, allowing players to lock on targets, nudge the reticule to take head- or leg-shots, or even duck behind cover and engage in tense shootouts. And with improved controls that allow for stylish drive-by shootings, wielding weapons in this latest GTA is more rewarding than ever.

In terms of presentation, GTA IV is also spot on, thrusting players into a colossal city where the wrong side of town is squalid, threatening and has smacked-up hopheads aimlessly wandering the streets, areas in marked contrast to the rich residential districts where the stench of affluence hangs in the air. New ‘ragdoll physics’ – which allow the bodies of virtual humans to react like their floppy, real-world counterparts – also makes the game feel more earthy, and will be an endless source of amusement for sickos as they drive through crowds of bystanders to see their wobbly bodies bouncing off the hood of their ride.

A wealth of new music, cars that handle like real-life vehicles and new multiplayer duels also help make GTA IV the most engaging release so far this year. And while it would’ve been interesting to see the developers experimenting with a new approach to the carnage, as an evolution of the world’s best-loved gangster game, GTA IV is damn-near perfect.

Dabanton

For UK Gaffers ordering online according to one of the posters over on rllmuk

ShopTo have confirmed that they will be honouring all pre-orders placed before Saturday 19th April for both versions. However, they have also said that they have had to sign a contract that forbids them shipping the game out before next Monday. It's likely that Gameplay will also have had to sign this contract.

So Tuesday if you’re lucky but realistically you'll probably get the game on Wednesday.

Me am going to chance this Friday as the shops will have the stock in it's merely finding someone serving who knows nothing of street dates...

hitoshi

Heh, I've just got my press invitation to the local launch event, held for journalists. It looks rad!

gta4inv_1_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

gta4inv_2_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

gta4inv_3_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

"I've got an offer you can't refuse. Be at ... at 8'o clock on Monday. If you want to get more info about GTA IV, don't be late! You won't need a gun this time...

Nico Bellic"

French mag review

- There is no loading (excepting on the launching of the game).
- The other characters will be very natural.
- Graphics aren't amazing, but they are very good (some flutters)
- The spirit of this GTA IV is based on : originality, realism, coherence, references, violence, provocation, sex, but less fun than in the previous versions.
- General atmosphere of this game is excellent (production, noises, etc.)
- In the dialogues, there are lot of unforgettable retorts, always so tasty.
- Multi-player is very good, but cooperation is medium.
- The content (size of the town, vehicles, weapons, minigames, etc) is rich and various.
- The gameplay is not so easy at the beginning.

Just got this from GAME:
Dear Customer

Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly here!

Thank you for your order for Grand Theft Auto IV. The highly anticipated GTA IV is due to be with you on Tuesday 29th April. To make sure that we get this title to everyone who ordered it for release day we have had to start our picking and packing process earlier than we would for our normal pre-orders. As a result, we may look to authorise your credit/debit card from tomorrow.

Kind regards

Customer Services
GAME.co.uk

Doc Evils

Just got an email from GAME:

Dear Customer

Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly here!

Thank you for your order {xxxxxxxx/P} for Grand Theft Auto IV. The highly anticipated GTA IV is due to be with you on Tuesday 29th April. To make sure that we get this title to everyone who ordered it for release day we have had to start our picking and packing process earlier than we would for our normal pre-orders. As a result, we may look to authorise your credit/debit card from tomorrow.

Kind regards

Customer Services

GAME.co.uk

I wonder If I might get the game on thursday or friday? since GAME has done it before.

edit:lulz beaten.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Himuro said:

Don't seem to be saying that the game is less fun, but rather less goofy humor/more realism. Which I actually kinda like, especially since I've seen that a lot of the "fun" stuff in this version looks really good.

raYne said:
I recognize a couple, but never saw the sledgehammer and shotgun pics. Good find.

:lol She looks and dresses exactly like friend of mine. I need to remember to show her this pic.

tube tops gives me the chills! :(

painey

GarthVaderUK said:
Just got this from GAME:

Me too. I wonder what the deal will be with the gamerpics and 500 points.. if a code will be sent as an email or if they will be in the box with the game..

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Doc Evils said:
Just got an email from GAME:

I wonder If I might get the game on thursday or friday? since GAME has done it before.

edit:lulz beaten.

I wonder if Amazon will do the same....

winnarps

Semi-related to this thread:

If I wanted to 'relive' or 'stave off the want for sandbox gaming' right now, I've got a 2 choices:

Reinstall GTA3 on my PC (have it sitting on the shelf)

-OR-

Go out and buy that GTA combo pack for the XBOX used (never played vice city or san andreas)

What should I do?

Jim

I've been trying to maintain a media blackout, but I caught a real GTA4 commercial on HDNet last night (the "Give Me Liberty" one, in HD obviously).

Even though it's just realtime cut-scenes mostly, you can tell the framerate is very similar to the old games. It's not like I didn't know or expect it before, but in a way, it knocked my graphical expectations back down to "realistic" a bit. :p

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Chill radio station sounds like it could be pretty interesting... and having Francois K on board for the dance station is kind of cool, although I definitely will miss RISE and MSX FM. What's the point of having 2 different reggae stations though? Way to overrepresent my least favorite style of music :lol Although if there's one thing the GTA games consistently get right, it's the radio stations.

hitoshi said:
I've not received this mail yet - should I be worried?

You'll be alright, they did the same email for the Halo 3 launch. I was freaking out reading GAF seeing everyone else get the email apart from me :lol

Shit thing was, a guy I work with ordered the basic edition from Game using regular postage. I ordered the CE with guaranteed next day delivery. He got his copy two days before me :lol :lol

Edit: Told ya :D

newsguy

Marketing is gaining momentum. I went to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall and the Gamestop GTA ad was playing in the theater. Also, the bus stop at the community college has a lifesize Nico poster, the one where he's adjusting his glove. Badass.

Top Bottom