• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

newsguy

Gametrailers has this up:
5xtp3k.jpg

Fatbot

Banned
I'm surprised more hasn't been announced for the soundtrack. 18 radiostations is a new record and will be absolutely absurd for the game.

There is likely 1GB of just music and talking on the disc if each station has an average of 20 songs and each song is 2 megs.

I really hope for a comprehensive box set like the incredible Vice City that has a lot of exclusive chatter from teh radio hosts.

Fatbot

Banned
Jim said:
I've been trying to maintain a media blackout, but I caught a real GTA4 commercial on HDNet last night (the "Give Me Liberty" one, in HD obviously).

Even though it's just realtime cut-scenes mostly, you can tell the framerate is very similar to the old games. It's not like I didn't know or expect it before, but in a way, it knocked my graphical expectations back down to "realistic" a bit. :p

I have heard mixed things. I have a buddy who works for rockstar (a programmer) and he said the framerate was solid, which i usually trust because he is real critical about FR, also heard the same thing from some journalist buddies of mine but now with the 1up preview and a few other rumblings i guess the framerate might not be perfect...

I really hoping play-asia start shipping wednesday/thursday. As I have no idea if this is region free I pre-ordered the asian 360 version months ago.

I've pre-ordered with a local game store here in Colorado Springs and I'm hoping they deliver early. They are very off of the radar so I doubt breaking the date would be a problem. Oh, and they actually game me what I thought was decent trade in credit. 20 bucks a piece for Madden and NCAA football. I didn't think that was too bad but I never checked Gamestop to compare. Too late now either way.

Here's to hoping I have a copy this weekend or Monday!

What's funny though is that my work section (3 people) are taking a day off to go eat some breakfast and play GTAIV all day. Screw work I say!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
newsguy said:
Considering GT is all about vids, I wonder what kind of stuff they plan on putting up. If not gameplay then what?

Looks like we may get the final official site update this Tuesday. With the number of Radio stations and multiplayer modes left to reveal, it could be a sizable one at that.

hitoshi

newsguy said:
Considering GT is all about vids, I wonder what kind of stuff they plan on putting up. If not gameplay then what?

Analysis, features - I don't think that gameplay videos are allowed before release. I don't remember seeing one when GTA: SA was released (but feel free to prove me wrong)

Rody said:
I can't believe there isn't one in-game video yet.

Jesus Christ, people. Almost every goddamn page someone brings this up. There are quite a few ingame scenes in a lot of the trailers we've seen. It's just that R* makes them look more cinematic with the different camera angles.

dfyb

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Jesus Christ, people. Almost every goddamn page someone brings this up. There are quite a few ingame scenes in a lot of the trailers we've seen. It's just that R* makes them look more cinematic with the different camera angles.
he means we still haven't seen video of someone just playing -- it's always cut into trailers etc. i want to see a 10 minute, unedited gameplay video.

blanky said:
At best? Most of the times the dixons around here is 60. And you have stuff like gcshop.nl which sells between 50 and 55. No 40 euros, but atleast you'll have it in a day and no taxthingies or whatever.

Dixons opens the games prior to sale. I don't pay new prices for 2nd hand scratched up junk.

GCshop price is 55 + 2 euros shipping. That's 57 and you wont get it day 1.

MMaRsu said:
Why are ppl from europe importing :|

mind = blown

MMaRsu said:
Excactly, 65 euro's at best? Dude where have you been :lol

60 euros for a gutted copy. Fuck - That. I like my games new. And gcshop isn't exactly blisteringly fast either. That's 57 fucking euros, and day 2 delivery. Stores like Replay sell sealed copies, but they sell em at 65 usually.

No thanks, you can laugh all you want. But I'm going with a sealed copy @ 40 euros. VG+ ftw.

Chris R

Jim said:
I've been trying to maintain a media blackout, but I caught a real GTA4 commercial on HDNet last night (the "Give Me Liberty" one, in HD obviously).

Even though it's just realtime cut-scenes mostly, you can tell the framerate is very similar to the old games. It's not like I didn't know or expect it before, but in a way, it knocked my graphical expectations back down to "realistic" a bit. :p
The low framerate will not bother me one bit UNLESS IT DROPS WHEN SHIT GETS HECTIC. If they keep the 24fps or whatever it runs at constant, fine.

blanky

Fallout-NL said:
Dixons opens the games prior to sale. I don't pay new prices for 2nd hand scratched up junk.

GCshop price is 55 + 2 euros shipping. That's 57 and you wont get it day 1.

I have mine at 50 euros plust 1,50 shipping, bought it back in august/september when they had an offer and gcshop has up until now always delivered on time here.

Rody

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Wow. Tone it down a little. I guess you know what I mean when I say "in-game footage", as in someone playing the game.

Even "San Andreas" had a few videos made by someone who got a early copy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please don't hurt me 56k users... I just want to paste my favourite screens from GTAIV.

137.jpg

125.jpg

109.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

29.jpg

38.jpg

Teknoman

Himuro said:
There are two jazz stations not two reggae stations.

There are two jazz stations? Man im outta the loop.

Agent Ironside said:

I hope those trash cans and that basket have movement physics/are interactive. Shoot outs and chases are going to be so awesome with stuff rolling all over the place.

Forgive me if this is old I haven't been to excited about GTAIV and haven't looked up much screens. But on Wikipedia there's an ingame screen with HUD and I haven't seen any screens with HUD. Here it is
Hyperlinked for those who don't want to get spoiled.

Rody

Impressive screens.

Sylar said:
I wish the GTA newbies would STFU. There won't be a gameplay video of it sanctioned by R*.

You're obviously not talking to or about me, so I won't respond. :)

X26

Banned
Teknoman said:
Too bad theres no screenshot mode for us. That would be pretty nice...or is there? Cell Phone camera ftw?

You can take pictures with the cell phone I'm pretty sure, but no replay feature (say you have a HDD, game cosnmtantly records the last x minutes of gamepaly and oy ucan at any time go back and watch it/take screenshots), which is too bad

Himuro said:
Same reason he won't buckle up his seat belt. When you're on the run and you've stolen a car you probably want to do things as far as possible. I mean, roll down windows in the middle of a firefight? Phht.

The point is that you won't always be on the run. Same deal with the seat belts; you could take your own car out at your leisure, have a big crash and go flying. It's ridiculous (if they don't give you the option to avoid it).

Loudninja

Himuro said:
There needs to be a replay feature. Shit, SA on Xbox had it. I don't see why IV can't. We should be able to exchange replays on the social club and shit.

Same reason he won't buckle up his seat belt. When you're on the run and you've stolen a car you probably want to do things as far as possible. I mean, roll down windows in the middle of a firefight? Phht.

Yeah I see what you are saying.

Top Bottom