• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Ten-Song

newsguy said:
Hopefully this can be turned off by host. If not, this will be the exact scenario:

*Custom cellphone rings*

Me: yeeeeeellow

12 year old bible belter: "YOU FUGGIN N***ER!!! HUAHUAHAUHAU!!!!!!

Me: .... :/

This is why I turn off all but friends voices in Xbox Live.

Teknoman

If they start making commercials like the San Andreas one, they should end the commercial with this scene:

grand-theft-auto-iv-20080421100428856.jpg

Ten-Song said:
This is why I turn off all but friends voices in Xbox Live.

Eh thats more or less the exception rather than the standard. Out of say...20-30 matches I might play on XBL, 3-4 of those matches (no matter the game...excluding Lost Planet) might have racial slur attacks.

pswii60 said:
Dunno if this is old, but from Fox News thread. GTA IV ads in US without a 360 logo?
gtabus.png

Also got an email from GAME, saying my 360 SE version will be picking/packing from tomorrow. Fingers crossed I get it before the weekend!

There's a 360 logo between the PS3 one and the R* one on the right side. It's the green blob. I've seen that ad on a bus. It's there.

painey

I spent about 5 mins staring at the Times Square pic trying to remember whats really there in real life and what the ads are parodies of :lol Thats depth.

Teknoman said:
Some of those screenshots are most likely from the MP version of things. Especially since
alot of the "bad" looking shots focus on characters from specific angles that seemingly have nothing to do with the story.

some of the bad ones are the from the SP, they have niko in it.

How large is this Liberty City compared to the version in GTA III?

Garbut: In terms of pure landmass its roughly three times as big. But it's far more dense, varied and detailed. I didn't actually realize how much more dense and detailed until I reminded myself just now by overlaying the two maps. There is so much more of everything in GTAIV.

I heard peds talking in a wide variety of languages across the city, lots of Chinese in Chinatown, Russian in Hove Beach etc. How many different languages are represented in the game?

Garbut: One of the things I love most about New York is the amazing mix of people. We tried to capture this visually and for this to work as well as it needed to and to set the correct vibe of each area we had to do it audibly too. Its one of the many distinctive things about New York, as you walk down the street you'll see so many nationalities, hear so many languages and accents. So wherever it was appropriate we do that in Liberty.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/868/868352p1.html

Recoil said:

I am going to steal the fuck out of one of those.

"Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard. Do not leave without a voucher, you need one to reboard."

Smokey

From IGN update: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868124p2.html

We took around a quarter of a million photos and a silly amount of video footage. We spent another year or so working up the city based on this research then about a year or so ago we flew a smaller group across for more research. We also had a full time research team based in New York to handle our numerous little requests for particular details – anything from ethnic breakdowns of particular areas to photos of certain interior types or videos of traffic patterns. I have 20 DVDs of traffic flows at random junctions at various times of the day sitting on my desk here as an example, and a few hours of footage of a night in a Russian supper club. They also sent across various reports, census data, even information on drainage, sewage, electrical and other infrastructure. Some of this is obviously superfluous in some respects, but it's important to start everyone thinking about how something works so they can build with that in mind.

Good god

Teknoman

Smokey Bones said:
From IGN update: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868124p2.html

We took around a quarter of a million photos and a silly amount of video footage. We spent another year or so working up the city based on this research then about a year or so ago we flew a smaller group across for more research. We also had a full time research team based in New York to handle our numerous little requests for particular details – anything from ethnic breakdowns of particular areas to photos of certain interior types or videos of traffic patterns. I have 20 DVDs of traffic flows at random junctions at various times of the day sitting on my desk here as an example, and a few hours of footage of a night in a Russian supper club. They also sent across various reports, census data, even information on drainage, sewage, electrical and other infrastructure. Some of this is obviously superfluous in some respects, but it's important to start everyone thinking about how something works so they can build with that in mind.

Good god

Now thats called dedication. Only other people i've seen do this much towards a semi-realistic location is Kojima for MGS2 and Valve & crew for HL2.

Defcon

Banned
chubigans said:
I used to hate the paint filter, but it's definitely grown on me. Anyone else feel the same?

I think it looks pretty bad in screenshots, but the game definitely looks nice from the trailers.

chubigans said:
I used to hate the paint filter, but it's definitely grown on me. Anyone else feel the same?

I recently started playing Vice City for the first time and initially thought it looked like crap. But after a while, I started to think the filter did a really good job of capturing that sun-soaked feel. Sometimes, it's just fun to drive and listen to tunes 'cause it feels like a summer evening.

I think this paint filter is gonna' do something similar. Maybe IV doesn't have Gears/Uncharted quality graphics but if it 'feels right', then I'm pretty damn stoked.

Loudninja

How large is this Liberty City compared to the version in GTA III?

Garbut: In terms of pure landmass its roughly three times as big. But it's far more dense, varied and detailed. I didn't actually realize how much more dense and detailed until I reminded myself just now by overlaying the two maps. There is so much more of everything in GTAIV

So its much bigger than GTA 3

newsguy

MobiusPigeon said:
:lol @ "CNT" billboard. damn i love rockstar. they just dont give a fuck.

Hey dude, I noticed you made a "my 360 died" thread. What's the deal? Will you have a replacement for GTA?

newsguy

Teknoman said:
Dont forget the frisbees in the dark commercial.

I loved the traveler that had his own radio show. I can't remember his name but he was the guy who went to third world countries and basically had sex with young boys. When I first heard that I couldn't believe what I was hearing, yet the media goes bezerk about hot coffee. Go figure.

Ariexv

woodchuck said:
wait. can you hijack the transit buses with passengers remaining inside?
Would be pretty awesome if while you were driving one a passenger walked up and knocked you upside the head or something, or there happens to be an off duty/undercover cop onboard.

Sylar

Banned
Cool interview here:

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/04/dan-housers-ver.html

very long.
Me: When did you decide to do the episodic content? How do you see it fitting into “GTA IV?”

DH: I think it’s an experiment. The idea of a world that’s you can drop bits into it, that’s interesting. But we’ll see how it goes. At the moment, there’s not much going on with it. We’re finishing off the last bits of this one and the only way we can really do this is by really focusing on it.

Come April the 30 [the day after "GTA IV" comes out], then we’ll look at [September release] “Midnight Club[:Los Angeles]” and the episodes and everything else. For the moment we’re all like, “GTA 4! GTA 4! GTA 4!” If you want to launch a big big media product, it has to be all consuming.

But yea, it’s interesting. Maybe it’s changing and maybe it’s not ready. You don’t really know what’s happening with that stuff and at the time we’ll see what’s going on.

So they haven't even worked on the DLC yet.

Sylar

Banned
That ratio can't be right as San Andreas was that size relative to GTA3....

EDIT: he said pure landmass, so the gta3 map would be condensed into one and not seperated. Thats a more believable size.

MMaRsu

Once again, not trolling but man..

I hope the game looks like the trailers and not like this

grand-theft-auto-iv-20080421100447121.jpg

Look at the fingers etc, this is some straight up Xbox graphics here man..
Without a doubt the ugliest screen I've seen so far..

Sylar

Banned
They're peds, what are you expecting? They've always been less impressive than the main characters in GTA.

Seriously, these GTA kiddies are killing me. Just STFU and enjoy the game. Stop complaining about things that have been synomous with "GTA" for the past 5 years.

The fact that the peds are wearing more than one piece of clothing instead of just one piece that is textured to look like multiple pieces should be enough to stfu.

Top Bottom