• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

MMaRsu

Lol I'm no GTA 'kiddy" dude so stfu Sylar. I've been playing GTA since the first one came out.

Why should I not be able to complain about the graphics I see in these shots? You get agitated when people say something negative about GTAIV?

I'm going to get the game day 1, I'm so fucking hyped I watch the commercial or a trailer like every day right now, and everything in the game is going to be fuck awesome. But these graphics, and I'm not talking just the peds, it's down to textures and everything in that shot, just plain sucks.

Now like I said I'm hoping the game looks like the commercials, because then it would just be bad screenshots. The trailers and commercials are looking very very awesome so like I said I hope the game looks like that.

So don't call me a GTA Kiddy dude.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gtalol.png

MMaRsu said:
Once again, not trolling but man..

I hope the game looks like the trailers and not like this

grand-theft-auto-iv-20080421100447121.jpg

Look at the fingers etc, this is some straight up Xbox graphics here man..
Without a doubt the ugliest screen I've seen so far..

Still a huge improvement over the PS2.

MMaRsu

eh you know what I'm not gonna argue, that screen is just ugly.

But I'm not gonna go into it for the fear of being banned just before the release of this game.

Sylar

Banned
I'm hesitant turning my 360 on for tommororws RB album dlc....Electric Eye why did you have to choose to come out this week :( :( :(

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
MMaRsu said:

But I'm not gonna go into it for the fear of being banned just before the release of this game.

Don't worry game will look similar to the trailers, screens don't do justice.

MMaRsu

Qwerty710710 said:
Don't worry game will look similar to the trailers, screens don't do justice.

That's what I was thinking, and it's good to know. I just don't understand why they'd release screenshots like this.

MMaRsu said:
That's what I was thinking, and it's good to know. I just don't understand why they'd release screenshots like this.

To give you thematic sense of the game's environments? That there's not just going to be four pedestrian models with palette swaps? That there's not going to be three building models with texture swaps? That we're going to see the city vibrantly lit up at night and active life going on across every street?

Maybe?

newsguy

MMaRsu said:

It's cool man. You should be able to say what you think without fear of getting banned (unless it's console warz and then you get kicked in the testes). I agree that the hands and other things in that shot look "off" but I don't think it's something of concern. As you said, in motion shit like that is so hard to see, hence why the devs do it. It's a trick of the trade, you dumb down things that will only look like crap in a screenshot, but once in the game you wouldn't think twice about it.

newsguy said:
It's cool man. You should be able to say what you think without fear of getting banned (unless it's console warz and then you get kicked in the testes). I agree that the hands and other things in that shot look "off" but I don't think it's something of concern. As you said, in motion shit like that is so hard to see, hence why the devs do it. It's a trick of the trade, you dumb down things that will only look like crap in a screenshot, but once in the game you wouldn't think twice about it.

And as I said:

Me said:
To give you thematic sense of the game's environments? That there's not just going to be four pedestrian models with palette swaps? That there's not going to be three building models with texture swaps? That we're going to see the city vibrantly lit up at night and active life going on across every street?

Maybe?

looking at all the shots really make me wonder just how the hell they crammed everything into the game city detail wise. bizarre creations had a time squeezing pgr4 onto disc yet rockstar has a fully accessable city with tons of dialogue and music and it STILL looks damn amazing. The textures arent as high res but rockstar has still managed to nail it with the gritty realism look. incredible.

gta4.jpg

newsguy

darkressurection said:
My desktop for the month is GTA 4 related so I though I would post it in here.:D

Nice. And BTW, that's the exact poster that's on display at my local bus stop. It's life size and it's awesome.

Bulla564

Banned
Didn't think I would pre-order this, but decided to use that 20% extra for trade-ins at GS. Traded in Orange Box and COD4 (two mighty fine games), and will only have to come up with about $5 for GTAIV.

Does anybody know what GS might give away for the midnight launch?

ntb825 said:
In San Andreas there is a part where
you go back to Liberty City
for a mission.

what? really? :eek: played san andeas but it bored me. didnt like the city, the music or the rpg elements. it was trying to do too much. III is by far my favorite GTA. Vice was OK but the city wasnt as fun as III. too flamboyant. I like gritty better.

*edit just searched youtube for clips. kinda sparse looking but still cool.

Teknoman

I dont think they're going to end up doing anything like that. We might see some older characters on the news or hear about them...but I dont think they would try something THAT ambitious the first time around. Maybe with GTA :"Whatever subtitle they think of for the next game because its not V".

Costanza

Banned
24w6bzs.jpg

Saw this empty shelf space at Circuit City today.. I wonder if it means they broke the street date earlier... just seems weird since there wasn't a spot for the regular edition.

newsguy

As feverish as we've been for this game, I think the lack of actual gameplay videos will make the wait that much more worth it. No matter how much you read, how many pics you see, what kind of specific situations you hear about, nothing will prepare you for when you're actually playing as Nico. As much as I've wanted a leak, if one were to come out now I would probably avoid it. I want to wear white on my wedding day.

newsguy said:
As feverish as we've been for this game, I think the lack of actual gameplay videos will make the wait that much more worth it. No matter how much you read, how many pics you see, what kind of specific situations you hear about, nothing will prepare you for when you're actually playing as Nico. As much as I've wanted a leak, if one were to come out now I would probably avoid it. I want to wear white on my wedding day.
I really just want to see it in action so I know what to expect performance wise.

Teknoman

somuchwater said:
Anyone wanna' point me to where you got those awesome desktop shots? Google Image search?

Rockstar.com's GTAIV section is where I got my wallpaper. Action section I believe (thats my actual desktop).

KarishBHR said:
Question:

Have there been US ads on tv? If so... where can I see the videos?

Gamestop special edition commercial with Miles Davis: Move as the soundtrack.

On TV some parts of the commercial actually run at what looks to be 60fps...so im not sure whats up with that.

Sylar

Banned
If theres a Raiden type of megaton spoiler, I hope to god it's spoiler tagged here and no douche bag ruins it. I might even just ignore video game sites until next tuesday once it inevitably hits the web.

Top Bottom