• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

I still say, when its all said and done, everybody will be talking about Euphoria, I really think its gonna make that much of a difference in the game, I think thats the element of GTA4 that will leave the biggest impression, and longest lasting.

Teknoman

Papercuts said:
I was never a big fan of it either, but imagine 16 players online with jetpacks fighting in the sky, and then it makes me realize what could have been. :p

:lol + physics. But we can climb things now, so thats a nice replacement. I wonder if you can shoot with one hand (machine gun, hand gun, grenade, molotov only of course) while hanging off the side of a utility pole?

Also wasnt there something about not being able to TK but also not being immune to gravity? I forgot the exact wording but it seemed like you could actually rocket jump over stuff.

newsguy

Agent Ironside said:
I still say, when its all said and done, everybody will be talking about Euphoria, I really think its gonna make that much of a difference in the game, I think thats the element of GTA4 that will leave the biggest impression, and longest lasting.

You know, I hope this is the case as well. If anything is going to give gravity to the player's actions it's going to be physics. I've come to terms with the fact that heads won't blow off because I hope the ensuing physics are brutal enough to convey the same thing.

True, and blowing heads off isnt always the most realistic thing in the world, unless where talking about a shotgun point blank or 50 cal something another. Anyways, I believe Euphoria will create moments in this game, especially because its open world, that we have never ever experienced before in a game, and its the gift that keeps on giving, you'll rarely see the same thing played out the same, twice, those moments will never cease, even 5 years down the road, you'll still see something different and unique.

Salazar

Agent Ironside said:

It'll either make me want the Force Unleashed games, or meaningfully reduce my level of intrigue and desire for them.

Indy is a must-buy - In that case, Euphoria is just icing on an already gigantically alluring cake.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknoman said:
:lol + physics. But we can climb things now, so thats a nice replacement. I wonder if you can shoot with one hand (machine gun, hand gun, grenade, molotov only of course) while hanging off the side of a utility pole?

Also wasnt there something about not being able to TK but also not being immune to gravity? I forgot the exact wording but it seemed like you could actually rocket jump over stuff.

If you can shoot like that, I would love getting somebody to fly a helicopter while you hang on and shoot down at people. :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
newsguy said:
You know, I hope this is the case as well. If anything is going to give gravity to the player's actions it's going to be physics. I've come to terms with the fact that heads won't blow off because I hope the ensuing physics are brutal enough to convey the same thing.
How much gore is exactly going to be in this game? Compared to the others I mean.

Agent Ironside said:

Agreed. If the great thing about GTA is the freedom and the unexpected, 'self-created' scenarios, then Euphoria, as the system that allows for that potential, will totally be the thing that lasts.

(btw, thanks for those who pointed me to wallpaper pics of GTA IV)

NameGenerated said:
How much gore is exactly going to be in this game? Compared to the others I mean.

I dont think its going to be anymore gory, but its obviously more gritty, it might seem more violent than past game, we'll see.

somuchwater said:
Agreed. If the great thing about GTA is the freedom and the unexpected, 'self-created' scenarios, then Euphoria, as the system that allows for that potential, will totally be the thing that lasts.

(btw, thanks for those who pointed me to wallpaper pics of GTA IV)

Well tbh, Rockstar will give a great production, im sure the story will be nothing short of good, but whether Rockstar will ever admit to this, and I think they already know, Euphoria is making this game, I know they hate talking about GTA in parts, rather than as a whole, but I really believe Euphoria will make this game.

Oops, meant this to be in an edit, not another post :/

dork

Banned
I just can't wait to weave in and out of traffic on the bike..drool. I can picture hitting a car headon and landing on the windshield and shattering it..:D

WE have the OXM at work , I saw the GTA cover, but I assumed it was a preview...I will open it tomorrow

Teknoman

Agent Ironside said:
I dont think its going to be anymore gory, but its obviously more gritty, it might seem more violent than past game, we'll see.

Yeah maybe more blood on a Max Payne level and not so much Mortal Kombat style. No dismemberments or cartoony blood splatters of course.

Sylar said:
I dunno, I kinda wish they did a Liberty City size or small city, but make every building in the city habitable.

That is also a personal hope of mine, but it's probably a console generation or two away.

Teknoman said:
Yeah maybe more blood on a Max Payne level and not so much Mortal Kombat style. No dismemberments or cartoony blood splatters of course.
I don't know, using a grenade in GTA3 to turn a group of peds into a heap of legs and torsos was fun fun fun!.

Xabora

Ehh looks good but never been too into the GTA Series.

On the other hand... why does everyone have a snazzy gta animated avatar. :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sylar said:
I dunno, I kinda wish they did a Liberty City size or small city, but make every building in the city habitable.

I believe they did this with The Matrix Online. Look it up to see how that faired. :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BobTheFork said:
Not a fair comparison, GTA has better melee combat.

Well I mean having every building, every floor, every room be available: you end up with a really bland looking world.

zander106

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/868/868352p1.html

Just read through the IGN article that posted earlier today, GTA IV: The City That Never Sleeps. My favorite bit:

IGN said:
The character artists would use clothing and sports branding on the characters, shop windows contain branding at a minute detail for items they are selling in a corner shop window or on a larger scale the shop fitting, logos and coloring. You'll see branding for oil companies on barrels, gas stations and gas attendants clothing and then when you visit some of the more industrial areas of the map you'll see the same branding on industrial facilities. We even created history in the branding with older variations on old painted ads fading on the side of old buildings. You'll see virtual artists advertised outside galleries, see some of their work through the window and then see other examples in some of the homes you'll get inside. Tiny businesses, dry cleaners for example will have a store on a certain street, and you will see their van driving around the area.

There are stickers, graffiti, posters, signage, billboards, adds on the internet, phone numbers to call, company cars and vans, products, tv shows, films, radio shows, theatres, fashion, jewelry, food, drink, sweets, cigarettes, pharmaceuticals, businesses, perfume, institutions, law firms, banks, credit cards, garages, warehouses, car dealers, city services, shops, airlines, travel agents, sports teams and brands, the list goes on and on. And they are referenced and cross-referenced in as many ways as we can over as many types of media and situations as we can think of.

Wow. This is just an impossible level of detail. Redonkulously impossible.

chubigans said:
Well I mean having every building, every floor, every room be available: you end up with a really bland looking world.
lol I know, I was taking a shot at Matrix Online. Didn't Mafia have more buildings you could enter that GTA? I thought I remember the devs touting that fact when it came out?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Agent Ironside said:
True, and blowing heads off isnt always the most realistic thing in the world, unless where talking about a shotgun point blank or 50 cal something another.
If anything, video games and movies tone down the devastating effects that small arms fire has on the human body. The shockwave alone from a 50 cal will shear the limbs off a person's body, even if the bullet doesn't hit. And the results of a clean head shot with an assault rifle isn't too different from what happens to this watermelon.

The problem is, the violence in GTA has always been cartoony but realistic gore combined with realistic graphics would make the game disturbing and ghoulish.

X26

Banned
BobTheFork said:
lol I know, I was taking a shot at Matrix Online. Didn't Mafia have more buildings you could enter that GTA? I thought I remember the devs touting that fact when it came out?

Mafia had practically none outside of mission specific interiors that you could not access outside that specific mission. Still a great game though

bill0527

I'm sure its been covered in this thread, but I don't have an hour to read all 41 pages right now so I'll go ahead and ask...

Will the PS3 version have any extra audio features like 7.1 ?

I've got the 360 version pre-ordered, but I could care less about DLC and I think I'd rather play GTA IV on my deathly silent 40gb instead of my launch 360 that sounds like I'm sitting on the tarmac at LAX.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
newsguy said:
Listen, I hope I didn't insult you if you ride a bike, but let's be real. How often do you see a 30 something male in a (probably expensive) 3 piece suit and aviator glasses riding a Scwhinn? In the words of the guy from the 40 Year Old Virgin, "Everyone rides a bike... when they're fuckin' 6."

20a4h1c.gif

kitch9

Banned
Grand Theft Auto IV is nearly here!

Thank you for your order 21###29 for Grand Theft Auto IV. The highly anticipated GTA IV game is due to be with you on Tuesday 29th April. To make sure that we get this title to everyone who ordered it for release day we have had to start our picking and packing process earlier than we would for our normal pre-orders. As a result, we may look to authorise and charge your credit/debit card from tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Customer Service Team
Gameplay.co.uk

O,o. Just got this e-mail. Hope I get it early..........

Teknoman

Couriers still ride bikes around, and people do ride them for excercise. Maybe if he was near the park it would make more sense.

BobTheFork said:
this seems kind of old but I can't find the info, will the ps3 version support custom tracks?

i asked earlier and was told no version will have custom soundtracks. the 360 version will be able to play music through the guide, just like every other 360 game though. noone knows tho if it'll stop playing during cutscenes tho.

calder

Every day I get more "oh my god oh my god oh my god" excited. Like Homer when he does his little excited dance and hops up and down shaking his hands.

No stores here seem to be doing midnight launches, so I'm debating cancelling my LE preorder and just going to a 24 hour Walmart Monday night and hope to grab it then. But there's something about waiting around at a walmart at midnight for a shipment to hit the floor that makes the tiny shred of dignity I have recoil in horror.

guidop

Aussie GAF, apparently there are a couple of online stores that have started shipping out orders so it looks like there might be some Aussies playing it before Friday. DVDCrave and Dstore are the places in question

Top Bottom