• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

painey

Good to see that the new tough, gritty style of GTA is attracting alot more of a mature crowd;

2433714696_1663caf50e_o.jpg

FightyF

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Once again, not trolling but man..

I hope the game looks like the trailers and not like this

Look at the fingers etc, this is some straight up Xbox graphics here man..
Without a doubt the ugliest screen I've seen so far..

Those hands for the characters in the middle and left are horrible, I agree.

But consider a few things:

-I'd rather have more pedestrians, than fewer with better looking hands

-What is going to be most impressive, and what you'll actually be paying attention to, is how they act, animate, behave, etc. When in motion, you're most likely not going to look at their hands, feet, belts, ears, etc.

-It's just smart to sacrifice things like hands, and put those polys in the faces. When you look at a person, you immediately look at their face and eyes. Mass Effect focused on having great facial textures, and had relatively blurry textures for other parts of the person. It was an acceptable trade off since most people look at the face. It's an efficient allocation of resources, simply put.

Any recomendation on a few films to watch in the run up to the games release?

I remember watching Scarface and Carlito's Way before Vice City and loved the game straight away because of it.

Eric WK

Keyser Soze said:
A recomendation on a few films to watch in the run up to the games release?

I remember watching Scarface and Carlito's Way before Vice City and loved the game straight away because of it.

Hmm. This might be a good idea. My initial inclination would be films set in/around New York, preferably with a crime or gangster aspect.

Once Upon a Time In America
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
Donnie Brasco
Mean Streets

Zep

Banned
Think they kept the gun codes? R1,R2,L1,R2 Left, down,right up, left, down, right, up....

And to think I got the code off a DJ Whoo Kid Mixtape in 2002. :lol

I'll try to post the skits later for a laugh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'll be puting the disc in, in exactly 168 hours.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zep said:
Think they kept the gun codes? R1,R2,L1,R2 Left, down,right up, left, down, right, up....

And to think I got the code off a DJ Whoo Kid Mixtape in 2002. :lol
That's the one I remember too! Haha.

Tr4nce

I finally validated my Rockstar Social Club account today, because I missed the first validation e-mail, due to some wrong spam settings on my Yahoo! account. Awesome. I can't wait any longer. Every day I wake up counting the days and then think about the game for the rest of the day. Yes, I'm obsessed!

Edit: I've got a nice number --> # 44900

:)

Keyser Soze said:
A recomendation on a few films to watch in the run up to the games release?

Miami Vice would have done wonders as well I gather.

I remember wanting to play GTA4 rather badly after watching a few more recent films btw. I think they were Eastern Promises, American Gangster and We Own the Night.

And Koyaanisqatsi might be worth a viewing.

FightyF

Banned
Seiken said:
I'll be puting the disc in, in exactly 168 hours.

And you will begin playing 5 minutes thereafter. :p

Yeah I'm thinking movies that give me a greater context for Russian mafias (something I'm not at all familiar with) would be a good idea to watch before this.

Eastern Promises...have anything to do with the Russian mafia? I thought Koyaanisqatsi was a documentary...all I know of it was that Phillip Glass did some work for it, and I thought I heard it was a documentary.

Of course, I could be googling all this now to find out... :p

Yeah, both Eastern Promises and We Own the Night are related to Russian mafia. Come to think of it, you probably couldn't go wrong with watching We Own the Night.

As for Koyaanisqatsi, it has some great footage of New York and the movie was an inspiration for the very first GTA4 trailer. I hope the game has some of that vibe as well.

Yagharek

guidop said:
Aussie GAF, apparently there are a couple of online stores that have started shipping out orders so it looks like there might be some Aussies playing it before Friday. DVDCrave and Dstore are the places in question

Correct. Mine has shipped already.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
bill0527 said:
I'm sure its been covered in this thread, but I don't have an hour to read all 41 pages right now so I'll go ahead and ask...

Will the PS3 version have any extra audio features like 7.1 ?

I've got the 360 version pre-ordered, but I could care less about DLC and I think I'd rather play GTA IV on my deathly silent 40gb instead of my launch 360 that sounds like I'm sitting on the tarmac at LAX.

Yes, can someone point me to the information on what the differences are between the 360 and PS3 versions, DLC aside?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
guidop said:
Aussie GAF, apparently there are a couple of online stores that have started shipping out orders so it looks like there might be some Aussies playing it before Friday. DVDCrave and Dstore are the places in question

Big W stores in Victoria and NSW have their stock in. Time to start tricking the poor people who work the electronics counter. :lol

Yoshichan

FightyF said:
And you will begin playing 5 minutes thereafter. :p
:lol :lol :lol

Tr4nce

Lyte Edge said:
Yes, can someone point me to the information on what the differences are between the 360 and PS3 versions, DLC aside?

IIRC correctly the PS3 version was said to have more lively colours or something. Anyway, the differences are minor, if not neglectable small.

guidop

Router said:
Big W stores in Victoria and NSW have their stock in. Time to start tricking the poor people who work the electronics counter. :lol

I'll give it ago tomorrow, I pre-ordered a copy online from Big W. The Melbourne city store is an absolute shamble very very unorganised so hopefully i can get lucky

dejay

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
How can it be shipping yet not be leaked? Are Take Two forcing truck drivers to wear Battle Royale style explosive necklaces tied to their shipment serial #s?

The people who intend to capture and leak stuff from GTA IV are probably too busy playing the game.

rod

Banned
ok seriously i dont want no bullshit i dont want no drama ive had a total gta4 media blackout and just like when i asked in the burnout paradise thread i wanna know what version i should get. i

1.dont care about DLC
2.only want the version that runs better, less slowdown less jaggies etc etc.

no console wars please just advice

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rod said:
ok seriously i dont want no bullshit i dont want no drama ive had a total gta4 media blackout and just like when i asked in the burnout paradise thread i wanna know what version i should get. i

1.dont care about DLC

We don't know yet. That's all there is to it at the moment. I went PS3 but really you can't go wrong with either.

MMaRsu

rod said:

1.dont care about DLC

We don't know yet so ask after the 29th or something.

rod said:

1.dont care about DLC

It honestly sounds like the only way you'll go wrong with either version is if you're going to come on here and argue about billboard textures or whether there is an additional pedestrian at 10:15pm in the fairground on console of your choice.

MMaRsu

rod said:
errr since when is a "billboard texture" or "extra pedestrian" the "version that runs better? dont get sensitive dude, i just want the version that has less framerate drops (pet hate 1) and /or less aliasing (pet hate 2)

edit: and console of my choice? lol i couldnt give a fuck about console wars, i just want what i want.

Dude. We don't know yet.

Right well I'm glad I got my backup preorder from GAME plus 500MS points free :D . I cancelled my Amazon Special Edition order because now I have just under £50 Left >< Must not spend till GTA4 Day.

Tr4nce

Ken Masters said:
For all the previews I've read on this game, I can't shake that "more of the same" feeling

No offense, but you might have a reading problem. Ofcourse it's GTA, but R* has renewed so many stuff and pushed this part to a whole new level. You fail.

FirewalkR

GarthVaderUK said:
98% from UK mag Xbox World 360.

Good, that's above my 97% low limit. Seems like my wrath is contained for now.

EDIT: What? Official Xbox Mag US gave it 9.5???? This can't ... BE.... wait... why am I turning... green??? AAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RAWR

indie85

Banned
FirewalkR said:
Good, that's above my 97% low limit. Seems like my wrath is contained for now.

EDIT: What? Official Xbox Mag US gave it 9.5???? This can't ... BE.... wait... why am I turning... green??? AAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RAWR
Probably the same mags that gave Halo3 10/10, amirite? :lol

Ken Masters said:
For all the previews I've read on this game, I can't shake that "more of the same" feeling

Which isn't bad necessarily in GTA's case. Cause its idea and style have always been great, but the package it came in wasn't. Gunplay for instance, was pretty awful from the get-go. Same goes for graphics. San Andreas was only slightly less terrible looking than Ocarina of Time.

So 'more of the same' in a package that the game deserves, actually sounds pretty good to me.

Shawsie64

Banned
rod said:

1.dont care about DLC

to tell you the truth mate i only went with the PS3 version because its region free and easier to import for the uncut version living in Australia, dont really care if it runs worse but no one knows..

but yeah it is frustrating not knowing whether or not my PS3 or 360 runs it better.. would have affected my decision (obviously) drastically

rod

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
to tell you the truth mate i only went with the PS3 version because its region free and easier to import for the uncut version living in Australia, dont really care if it runs worse but no one knows..

but yeah it is frustrating not knowing whether or not my PS3 or 360 runs it better.. would have affected my decision (obviously) drastically

where did you import the ps3 version from? im also in aus, im probably going to get the ps3 version unless i hear that the 360 version is infinetly better (which it doesnt seem like it is according to one of the above posts) and i like HDMI over vga (my 360 is old)

Dabanton

Apparently the 360 USA-NTSC version of the game is now 'out there'...

Am sure some other gaffers will yay or nay this rumor soon.

Top Bottom