• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
5 fucking days... still can't believe I haven't watched any gameplay vids!

Should I switch from my 360 preorder to a PS3 preorder? Are there any substantial advantages to the PS3 version aesthetically and/or functionally speaking?

danwarb

polyh3dron said:
Should I switch from my 360 preorder to a PS3 preorder? Are there any substantial advantages to the PS3 version aesthetically and/or functionally speaking?
It doesn't look like there are. Load times are very similar in the two intro videos, and there's some pop-up in both versions. There might be an image quality difference but it's impossible to see in these videos.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Is the game even delivered to retailers in Europe (more specifically the Netherlands) yet? Some rumors of people claiming to have bought the game are starting to pop up on some Dutch forums (hey MMaRsu) but no evidence yet.

Eric WK

I'm assuming there will be a different GTA IV ad that has nothing to do with Gamestop.

That one has been running for weeks and I haven't seen it on the major networks.

xbhaskarx said:
Why are two people from the same car fighting each other and not Niko? :lol

Is there any video of the GTA version of Manhattan, or is it all from Broker?

No one can sit down and PLAY THE DAMN GAME. I haven't seen one person who's unlocked it yet. One guy made it past the barricade.

...for a little while...

Foster

HMV has sent mine out YAS!!!! it says 2-5 days but they have sent it special delivery which is normally next day so could get it tomorrow or Saturday.

Dear ************,

Your order is in the post, and should be with you soon. In case you need them, here are the details:

Qty Format Artist Title Price Estimated Delivery
1 HC XBOX 360 GAME GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 (GTA IV) £35.99 2-5 days

im so happy :D :D :D :D :D :D

but im off back to uni tonight so will have to wait till next moday :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wollan said:
So crappy. Surprised Rockstar is behind it.
Crappy?! What?

Beaulieu

BenjaminBirdie said:
One guy made it past the barricade.

...for a little while...

haha yeah that video was awesome.
I cant wait to try and pass there and survive as long as possible.

No army presence in any video yet ?

Yoshichan

Wollan said:
Compared to the trailers, EU ads, intro..etc..etc it's leagues below.
I don't think you're supposed to be comparing them to the "epic" trailers/ads etc.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm officially in. paid off my pre-order. could someone nico-ize Michael Bluth's head for me? Would be greatly appreciated.

So, after seeing that super intro (first 20 minutes) I'm really blown away not only by the acting, which is just fucking amazing, but by the tone of the game. It's really remarkably low key, gritty, real. I don't know that I've seen any other game this gen that's tried something like this.

Double D

BenjaminBirdie said:
So, after seeing that super intro (first 20 minutes) I'm really blown away not only by the acting, which is just fucking amazing, but by the tone of the game. It's really remarkably low key, gritty, real. I don't know that I've seen any other game this gen that's tried something like this.

must.....not.....watch...

Cdammen

I'm considering going down to my local indie video game vendor and bribing him to sell me a copy of GTA4.

VIDEO GAMES MADE ME DO IT!

Vik_Vaughn said:
must.....not.....watch...

I only did once and won't again, but it's reassuring to know that the game actually legitimately made me laugh out loud, not because of a cheap gag or charmingly obvious pun, but sheerly on the strength of the acting and writing.

I think one of the big slams on the DLC Appeal was a very significant underestimating of the strength of the writing and characters. The idea that people will mainly be interested in just tooling around the city and laying waste to it.

I think a lot of people's perceptions on that score when they actually see how endearing these characters are. And keep in mind, I've only seen...one...two...three, four....four of them.

And yet the interactions between them are so genuine, but, you know, mundane? It's just really remarkable what they've pulled off. If other narrative based games are network dramas, GTA4's Not TV, It's HBO.

AkuMifune

Banned
kobashi100 said:
damn play-asia still not even preparing orders. Looks like they not gonna ship till monday maybe tuesday.

I ordered the PS3 version from them, so I'll have to wait a bit longer than you. Either way I have a feeling I'll be instantly "sick" when it does show up. :D Actually I was interested in the SE, but they haven't listed pricing or pre-orders for it yet.

rhino4evr

BenjaminBirdie said:
I only did once and won't again, but it's reassuring to know that the game actually legitimately made me laugh out loud, not because of a cheap gag or charmingly obvious pun, but sheerly on the strength of the acting and writing.

I think one of the big slams on the DLC Appeal was a very significant underestimating of the strength of the writing and characters. The idea that people will mainly be interested in just tooling around the city and laying waste to it.

I think a lot of people's perceptions on that score when they actually see how endearing these characters are. And keep in mind, I've only seen...one...two...three, four....four of them.

And yet the interactions between them are so genuine, but, you know, mundane? It's just really remarkable what they've pulled off. If other narrative based games are network dramas, GTA4's Not TV, It's HBO.

This is probably the reason that GTA4 will be the first GTA game I actually finish. I'm actually interested in the story this time.

j-wood

Foster said:
HMV has sent mine out YAS!!!! it says 2-5 days but they have sent it special delivery which is normally next day so could get it tomorrow or Saturday.

Dear ************,

Your order is in the post, and should be with you soon. In case you need them, here are the details:

Qty Format Artist Title Price Estimated Delivery
1 HC XBOX 360 GAME GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 (GTA IV) £35.99 2-5 days

im so happy :D :D :D :D :D :D

but im off back to uni tonight so will have to wait till next moday :(

I hate to ruin your parade, but chances are, that package is going to sit at your local delivery place until the 29th because of the street date. When you get it, it'll probably have a sticker on it that says "do not deliver until april 29th"

I think what's nice is that you can watch the driving and shooting bits, but when you start watching videos that have missions, it's time to bail out.

So pretty much all the videos are down now?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I would have my game RIGHT NOW... but the Parcel company actually lost it.

Out of all the shit I order, they lose my game.

Fuck x100

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
VOOK said:

Fuck x100

They "lost" it?

I wonder which leaked gameplay videos have been from your copy.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
VOOK said:

Fuck x100

My ANZAC day will be full of GTAIV cheer... Sorry to hear about your luck though.

fivehorizons said:
http://www.justin.tv/sculay is back up broadcasting this morning.

He just went through a car wash

Shit! I click on it and its right in the middle of a cut scene. :(

TaKeRx

OK, so since the game has been leaked and all, does anyone know at least the partial list for the radio stations/songs in the game?

Urishizu

kobashi100 said:
Asian mate. I honestly thought play-asia would ship early. You getting Asian or US?

Getting a US copy to Japan. It worries me that Play-Asia does not have a definite ship date for it though, as with Halo 3 they were right on the ball.

Wizman23

Banned
I have never finished a GTA game. I think that will all change over the next few weeks! I am really looking forward to see how the story pans out.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Goreomedy said:
They "lost" it?

I wonder which leaked gameplay videos have been from your copy.

Yeah some prick at the couior depot probably enjoying it right now. Never the less I have err... Mario Kart :/

Himuro said:
hahaha another reason why I don't do online shopping

suciks mate

First time I have had something lost.

And Router I curse yee :p

kitch9

Banned
j-wood said:
I hate to ruin your parade, but chances are, that package is going to sit at your local delivery place until the 29th because of the street date. When you get it, it'll probably have a sticker on it that says "do not deliver until april 29th"

If you knew the archaic UK post delivery system you would know that this act is not physically possible.

Top Bottom