• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Himuro said:
Waiting for this commercial to be put on gametrailers before I put it on the OP. the gamespot site sucks.
Fix'd

Couldn't get it to play on the site, waiting for it to download agonizingly slowly after jumping through hoop after hoop to even be able to download it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was messing around with the Learning Edition of Endorphine. Really cool, would love to mess around at work with Euphoria, we probably have a license somewhere (too bad we're not using on the game I'm working on, would have been nice for the combat).

Guled

borghe said:
just watched the final TV spot.

this will be THE highest selling game of the generation. no question. it's basically the equivalent of:

Blizzard releasing a new RTS.
Nintendo releasing a new Mario.
Peter Jackson releasing a new Middle Earth movie.

Absolute perfection. wow.
starcraft 2, and bunch of Nintendo games will sell more

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn, MGO taking TOO much of my time! Bah, that's fine though. Less spoilers for me :)

Less hype too, though :(

Guled

Ether_Snake said:
A bunch of Nintendo games will sell more?

:lol
sadly yes, wii fit, wii sports. wii play, pokemon, animal crossing, generic family game #6. plus starcraft 2 is going to be by far the greatest selling game this gen

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Valkyr Junkie said:
Wrong. Unless of course you're including the inevitable GTA spin-offs there will be this generation.
ehh.... I don't know.. GTA3 kind of came from nowhere and caught everyone by surprise. VC pretty much the same thing just because of its preiod setting. I think SA was the true gauge of where the demand was/is. that being said, I think it would be insanely difficult to match the hype and the wow factor of this game with another one. At this point we know what we're expecting. I seriously think this will outsell the other spinoffs this gen. Not because they'll sell poor for GTA, but I expect record numbers for this one. as in unheard of numbers.
Guled said:
in the event SC2 comes out for a console, I still doubt it will come anywhere near this in sales. As for "a bunch of nintendo games", the only ones that stand a chance are if nintendo releases a NEW proper pokemon game for the DS, OR they finally release a pokemon MMORPG for Wii or DS.

Guled

borghe said:
in the event SC2 comes out for a console, I still doubt it will come anywhere near this in sales. As for "a bunch of nintendo games", the only ones that stand a chance are if nintendo releases a NEW proper pokemon game for the DS, OR they finally release a pokemon MMORPG for Wii or DS.
Korea has 78 million people dude :lol Wii sports comes with almost all of the wii systems so thats a given, Wii play is a second controller, and most of NA is fat. I think pokemon d/p and animal crossing are already over 12 million, i could be wrong.

Pimpbaa said:
A spell checker.
fixed it for you

Jtrizzy

I haven't been to a midnight launch since the release of the 360. IIRC. I had to wait in line for a while. Isn't it best to arrive a little after midnight at these things?

borghe

Guled said:
Korea has 78 million people dude :lol Wii sports comes with almost all of the wii systems so thats a given, Wii play is a second controller, and most of NA is fat. I think pokemon d/p and animal crossing are already over 12 million, i could be wrong.
console sales... kind of pointless to compare pc sales, good or bad. completely diofferent market. hence why I said "If it comes out for consoles". Also your korea point is moot as everyone in korea and many other asian countries play the game(s) at cafes. wii sports doesn't count (hence why it's not counted on NPD), Wii Play is HIGHLY suspect (And this coming from an oft accused Nintendo fanboy). And I don't think WiiFit will beat it. Probably in the top 15 or so highest in NA and the world, but I don't see a $90 game+accessory coming in in the top 10 let alone top 5 or 3 for the entire generation.

X26

Banned
wow, get this sales shit out of here. Are nintendo's legion of manchildren invading the thread or something?

borghe

you're right, because 102 pages of just spooging is SO much more interesting.

The thread is about GTA and all it encompasses. why wouldn't that include potential sales?

dedhead54

I must ask one more time to see what the general consensus is...

If I head to Wal-Mart Monday night, right around 12:00am, I should have no problem walking out with GTAIV, correct? (Regular or LE, on the fence still)

Guled

borghe said:
console sales... kind of pointless to compare pc sales, good or bad. completely diofferent market. hence why I said "If it comes out for consoles". Also your korea point is moot as everyone in korea and many other asian countries play the game(s) at cafes. wii sports doesn't count (hence why it's not counted on NPD), Wii Play is HIGHLY suspect (And this coming from an oft accused Nintendo fanboy). And I don't think WiiFit will beat it. Probably in the top 15 or so highest in NA and the world, but I don't see a $90 game+accessory coming in in the top 10 let alone top 5 or 3 for the entire generation.
ps3/360 and wii are different markets, but we compare them, so why are pc games different, they're all games. When you buy a wii, you are also buying wii sports, its a sale to nintendo, it should count. same with wii play. Wiifit is kind of 50/50 for me, with the huge health craze, it could sell a lot.

borghe

dedhead54 said:

If I head to Wal-Mart Monday night, right around 12:00am, I should have no problem walking out with GTAIV, correct? (Regular or LE, on the fence still)
I would be SHOCKED if you couldn't walk into ANY store (beside pre-order-city Gamestop) anywhere within a few hours after opening and walk out with either copy. this game is going to be flooded.

dedhead54 said:

You should be OK I would guess. I am not sure if they are caring the LE or not.

borghe

Loudninja said:
why does it matter?
simple. as a source of information that is based in JOURNALISM, one expects pieces to be edited and corrected. IF they can't even take themselves serious enough to proofread and correct their writing, why should we?

I'm not a spelling freak. I have never and would never comment on something like a message board or personal blog... but a professional news site, even if just a gaming site, better have their shit edited if they want to be taken seriously.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damnit, time is going by half as fast. To think I won't be playing day one. Argh:|

I just saw the IGN video review and was wondering if Niko had some chick riding him in a car at around the 4 minute mark...were my eyes deceiving me?

Darkman M

ForzaItalia said:
I just saw the IGN video review and was wondering if Niko had some chick riding him in a car at around the 4 minute mark...were my eyes deceiving me?

^check out the "wtf" link in the gta iv video on page 60 or so

*edit nevermind the link above is it.

pvpness

I'm on GTA media blackout. Can you store more than one car in your garage? Can you customize them ala Saint's Row? Is the deal where you get out of your car, turn around and your car is gone bullshit over with? I'll buy it regardless cause I love open world toys, but I really wanna know. SR spoiled the collector in me (and made it enjoyable to collect all the vehicles).

X26

Banned
pvpness said:
I'm on GTA media blackout. Can you store more than one car in your garage? Can you customize them ala Saint's Row? Is the deal where you get out of your car, turn around and your car is gone bullshit over with? I'll buy it regardless cause I love open world toys, but I really wanna know. SR spoiled the collector in me (and made it enjoyable to collect all the vehicles).

- No idea, you start the game with some parking space on the street though. Whether you get a garage later on, no idea
- No car customization (outside paintjobs I guess)
- According to the impressions I've read, yep, stuff doesn't jsut dissapear the secodn it leaves your line of sight

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Guled said:
2371452591_9a6e6a25de_o.gif

pvpness

X26 said:
- No idea, you start the game with some parking space on the street though. Whether you get a garage later on, no idea
- No car customization (outside paintjobs I guess)
- According to the impressions I've read, yep, stuff doesn't jsut dissapear the secodn it leaves your line of sight

Well if you're gonna get 1 outta 3, at least it's the most important one (to me). Sweet. Thanks man.

dedhead54

pvpness said:

I don't know that you ever get a "garage" but you do get parking spaces in front of your hideout, 2 to be exact, to store cars.

Top Bottom