• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The more I watch other Gundam TV shows, the more I appreciate G Gundam. It features a cast with actual goals and motivations for their actions, a series of well-defined arcs which build to something, and a set of nested central mysteries which are eventually resolved.

It contrasts with something like Zeta (that I just finished watching) which has none of those things. Instead, the story just sort of meanders around between outer space, the Earth and back again like some sort of mecha soap opera until all the villains are blown to smithereens - which puts a stop to whatever it is their plan was.

And that is why G Gundam is the best.

if you liked wing, you'll probably like 00

Eh... I love Wing but HATED Gundam 00.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Surprisingly enough, it helps that despite Domon being rather stubborn and bull-headed about the obvious, to put it lightly, they actually tend to display more chemistry and spend more time interacting together than a whole bunch of other Gundam leads.

Yep, and his actions throughout the series show that he does genuinely love her even if he doesn't admit it at first :)

Beth Cyra

if you liked wing, you'll probably like 00

I with Kagari on this one, I liked Wing and hate 00.

I really believe the best thing to suggest to someone looking for a modern Gundam that is decently balanced is SEED. Granted I don't care for it, but it does give a decent take on UC with much newer animation and a reduction on Space magic.

At this point it's very difficult for me to recommend people walk in blind to 0079 and while Unicorn is amazing it really shouldn't be watched without 0079/Zeta/ZZ. Same goes for Turn A, which alot of people on this board love, I just don't think going into this without the majority of the black history is the correct way to do it.

Wing was ok.
I first saw it when I was 11 or so. For that fact I still like it but at the same time I notice much more cheese now.

Every single Gundam in existence has this problem. Depending on how much Space Magic you can handle shit like Zeta Biosensor and ZZ's Judau being able to power a recharge a one use only weapon will be far, far worse then any cheese the Wing characters can throw out.

Also if cheese is your problem you might want to avoid 00 and the fairy dust that cures space cancer.

Hero

Yeah, I would love to see an entire HD remake of Zeta with the animation reminiscent of what we got with the movie trilogy.

Seriously Bandai, go die in a fire. Pay attention to some of the series that are showing age instead of going to the well on a less-than-decade year old series.

Btw, I think I've posted it in the past, but this fake Zeta intro is fucking awesome.

Late as hell but that Zeta intro is awesome.

I have to say, the Zeta Gundam will probably always be my favorite mobile suit. Something about its design, mechanics, color, etc just makes it perfect.

Jube3

Say what? Link/pics?

I did a quick test fit so its held together with tape, heres a pic of most of it taped up. The V fin and the chin are not on yet. I'm going to finish up the sanding tonight and then start tomorrow, from the chest part to the top of the helmet its about the size of a 12 oz coke can.

8344208451_56ddae2b4c.jpg

Mengetsu

I'm glad to see so much G Gundam Love in here! I knew about Gundam for years and just started finally watching it! I saw 00 first followed by Wing and then G Gundam and so far G is my favorite hands down from the characters to the....

G gundam also had a fuck awesome soundtrack, dat UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!!

My point. I'm gonna start Age next but all the negativity about it scares me but, I told myself I'm going to watch them all. Great thread btw
3AQmK.gif

Ezalc

I'm glad to see so much G Gundam Love in here! I knew about Gundam for years and just started finally watching it! I saw 00 first followed by Wing and then G Gundam and so far G is my favorite hands down from the characters to the....

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I salute to you good sir!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I did a quick test fit so its held together with tape, heres a pic of most of it taped up. The V fin and the chin are not on yet. I'm going to finish up the sanding tonight and then start tomorrow, from the chest part to the top of the helmet its about the size of a 12 oz coke can.

Gorgeous! Where's this from?

B.K.

G Gundam rewatch of 2013 finished. Life is now complete.

I should probably give G Gundam another chance. I tried to watch it back when it was on Toonami, but I didn't like it. I didn't even bother watching the entire series. I watched maybe 10 or 15 episodes before I dropped it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I should probably give G Gundam another chance. I tried to watch it back when it was on Toonami, but I didn't like it. I didn't even bother watching the entire series. I watched maybe 10 or 15 episodes before I dropped it.

Watch the Japanese version, not the dub. The Japanese version conveys the proper EMOTION and DRAMA which lead to manly (or in my case womanly) tears ;-;

Ezalc

Watch the Japanese version, not the dub. The Japanese version conveys the proper EMOTION and DRAMA which lead to manly (or in my case womanly) tears ;-;

What? The dub was pretty cool, even if it was cheesy. Then again G is basically Laughing Cow factory levels but still.

Stage On

If anyone's interested in the Gundam Origin manga in english they should place their preorders now if they haven't already.

Apparently Vertical inc is finalizing the print run for Volume 1 on friday and it's going to be pretty small amount published overall.

Jubern

The only reason to watch G-Gundam with subs with to see 'God Gundam' and 'Devil Gundam'. Unless Bandai edited the subs too :/

Some people just prefer original over dubbed man. I'm French and while there are a lot of quality dubs for movies and series over here, I pretty much always go original, should it be English, Japanese or whatever else, with very few exceptions (FF12>Eng for superior, KH>Fre for Disney nostalgia...)

Beth Cyra

Never could get into any of early Wing enemy designs (not counting the TG) so Aeries doesn't do much for me.

Crazy how much RD love Wing has gotten over the last year.

Newbie Gundam fanatic checking into the thread :D

I've always been a U.C. man meself, but unlike the majority of 0079 fans that take to Char as their raison d'etre for watching the series, to me the show is about the evolution of Bright Noa's character and his interactions with the other protagonists in the show.

Greatest captain ever in the U.C. Gundam universe. But on the other hand possibly the worst father and husband. Case in point:- Hathaway Noa.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Someone needs to gif the scene in ZZ Gundam where Bright goes to shake Judau's hand but gets completely blown off by him.

Newbie Gundam fanatic checking into the thread :D

I've always been a U.C. man meself, but unlike the majority of 0079 fans that take to Char as their raison d'etre for watching the series, to me the show is about the evolution of Bright Noa's character and his interactions with the other protagonists in the show.

Greatest captain ever in the U.C. Gundam universe. But on the other hand possibly the worst father and husband. Case in point:- Hathaway Noa.

I believe it showcases the tendency for fractured family relationships as a result of being in the military. +1 for realism.

Well, the same could be said about Tem Ray and Kamille's parents.

Mengetsu

Ok so I plan on watching the original Gundam series next and I need to know what I need to be watching and in what order to do so from you awesome people here.
I have:
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
ZZ Gundam
Char's Counterattack

What order should I watch these in and am I missing anything? Help is much appreciated.

Also Kagari and Ezalc Where can I get an Icon like that but of Domon? Need a new look now that Christmas is over and considering the Gundam kick Im on right now it seems fitting.

Beth Cyra

Ok so I plan on watching the original Gundam series next and I need to know what I need to be watching and in what order to do so from you awesome people here.
I have:

What order should I watch these in and am I missing anything? Help is much appreciated.

Also Kagari and Ezalc Where can I get an Icon like that but of Domon? Need a new look now that Christmas is over and considering the Gundam kick Im on right now it seems fitting.

0079/Gundam
O8Th Team
Stardust Memories
Zeta Gundam
ZZ Gundam
Char's Counter Attack
Unicorn
F91
Victory Gundam

Is the offical timeline as far as animated stuff goes I think. O8th Team and Stardust might be wrong though, I can't remember quite exactly on them. My bad, I forgot F91.

frye

You can just watch 0079 -> Zeta -> Char's Counterattack before going wherever which is pretty much what everyone does. ZZ has one important plot point that shows up in CCA but it's not really necessary.

Beth Cyra

You can just watch 0079 -> Zeta -> Char's Counterattack before going wherever which is pretty much what everyone does. ZZ has one important plot point that shows up in CCA but it's not really necessary.

I actually disagree with this.

ZZ has some issues, but I really do think it should 100% be watched before CCA, it address's a few things and the second half of the show is just a very good and Judau makes an interesting third lead before getting back to Amuro in CCA.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

ZZ has some issues, but I really do think it should 100% be watched before CCA, it address's a few things and the second half of the show is just a very good and Judau makes an interesting third lead before getting back to Amuro in CCA.

Agreed.

Judau > Amuro >>>>>> Camille, anyway.

frye

I probably agree with this but coming off Zeta, a lot of people just want to go straight into Char vs. Amuro rather than doing another 47~ episodes of some (seemingly) unrelated show. I don't think it's a huge deal to skip it momentarily.

e:
Agreed.

Judau > Amuro >>>>>> Camille, anyway.

I unironically love Kamille.

Beth Cyra

I probably agree with this but coming off Zeta, a lot of people just want to go straight into Char vs. Amuro rather than doing another 47~ episodes of some (seemingly) unrelated show. I don't think it's a huge deal to skip it momentarily.

Yes but this very mind set has caused alot of damage and dislike for CCA(with several fans). With more then a few big name characters just missing and how some view the sudden change in Char to be against what happens in Zeta I just can't agree with skipping ZZ and going into CCA.

Also the simple fact is while ZZ has some serious pacing issues and the first part of the show has it's haters, nothing is as bad as Quess and the longer you can delay dealing with that thing the better in my eyes.

frye

^^^
I dunno, I really had no problems with that when I watched CCA. But I've also probably been in to many dumb arguments about how Char is/is not consistent from Zeta to CCA to disagree.

Watch 0079, Zeta, ZZ, then CCA.

Then finish off with Unicorn.

And Judau is awesome.

But Unicorn will never finish!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom