• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Xi Gundam has been getting some love lately with the Robot Damashii figure and it being released in both vanilla Extreme Versus and Full Boost. Is it the anniversary of Hathaway's Flash or something?

Sunrise/Bandai probably realized they've played out Crossbone as much as possible, so they're now moving on to Hathaway's Flash.

You know, I'm surprised I haven't seen many shops or custom paint jobs of the Byarlant. I know it's received a HGUC though, so hopefully we can see a rainbow assortment much like we've seen of the Sinaju. (Would love to see a green Byarlant.)

Leunam

Picked up an MG Sinanju Ver. Ka. Anything I need to know before I get started? This will be my third Gunpla kit after my custom Zaku and Wing Zero, both MG.

This is a badass custom build of God Gundam.

63.jpg

http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/gf13-017njii-burning-gundam-custom-build.html

Oh yeah... also....

Gundam Movie Domains Listed Under Sony Pictures

Three Gundam-related domain names — "Gundam-movie.com", "Gundam-movie.net", and "gundammovie.com" — were registered with the host name server sonypictures.com. Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc. is the U.S.-based television and film production/distribution unit of Japanese media conglomerate, Sony.

If Del Toro's Pacific Rim gets super popular, I wonder what the likelihood of these showing up will be. :O

Adam Ray
Captain Brian "Bright" Noah
Charles "Char" Aznable
Roger Ral

Jube3

Yea it is, love that mobile suit. I just finished putting the master grade 1/100 tonight, wasn't sure how it was gonna turn out, the build itself was nothing special but the overall look of the suit(I really like the bulky kits) has become one of my favorites.

8236920591_432055285b_z.jpg

Yea it is, love that mobile suit. I just finished putting the master grade 1/100 tonight, wasn't sure how it was gonna turn out, the build itself was nothing special but the overall look of the suit(I really like the bulky kits) has become one of my favorites.

8236920591_432055285b_z.jpg
Always irked me that the model comes with an "EFSF" decal when it's not a space MS. I adjusted mine to say "EFF" like the White Dingo models.

Leunam

Damn. Had no idea the Sinanju Ver. Ka didn't come with water-slide decals for everything but the gold trim (which I won't even be using). Basically puts every red part on hold as I'm not a fan of rub-on decals. I guess I can just continue painting the gold on all the black components. It's tough, but I'm encouraged by some of the imperfections I noticed on the photos of the kit on the box. If they're not perfect then I won't feel so bad for not being perfect either.

Beth Cyra

Despite my hatred of OO (and boy do I hate it) I couldn't stop my hype from Izayoi in BB CP and ordered the Ignotioned Exia (yeah it should be Trans-Am but my wife hates the Trans-Am'd gundams) just so I could have a little bit of her before CP PS3 ships.

Heather also made it so Zeta RG, Unicorn HD+MS Cage, and Nu (should it get here in time) are all locked away until X-Mas. Still a great line up of kits overall so I can't give her to much hell.

Jube3

Nice Ground Gundam. I really like the details. Are those Katoki decals?

Yea, I had a left over sheet of decals from the Ver. ka crossbone that I thought might look nice on the suit.

Despite my hatred of OO (and boy do I hate it) I couldn't stop my hype from Izayoi in BB CP and ordered the Ignotioned Exia (yeah it should be Trans-Am but my wife hates the Trans-Am'd gundams) just so I could have a little bit of her before CP PS3 ships.

Heather also made it so Zeta RG, Unicorn HD+MS Cage, and Nu (should it get here in time) are all locked away until X-Mas. Still a great line up of kits overall so I can't give her to much hell.

That sounds like one busy Christmas. I wonder how well the new Nu is going to sell?

I just finished 00 this weekend although I quite liked it. I was bummed out to see there aren't many master grades from that series. I'm definitely gonna grab the Exia Ignitition, anyone here build the no grade 1/100 kits from the series? I'm interested in picking up a Dynames and Tieren.

Beth Cyra

Yea, I had a left over sheet of decals from the Ver. ka crossbone that I thought might look nice on the suit.

That sounds like one busy Christmas. I wonder how well the new Nu is going to sell?

I just finished 00 this weekend although I quite liked it. I was bummed out to see there aren't many master grades from that series. I'm definitely gonna grab the Exia Ignitition, anyone here build the no grade 1/100 kits from the series? I'm interested in picking up a Dynames and Tieren.

Given how long it took for even Wing and SEED to really get a fair amount of MG's, OO is actually doing pretty well for itself, even more so when you factor in X still hasn't gotten 1 and it beating Turn A and G Gundam if you count up all the various releases.

As for Nu selling? It will do extremely well, Nu has always been popular, add in the recent surge with Unicorn to the UC fanbase, the ties that Katoki added by lacing Phycho Frame similar to his Unicorn and it being Amuro's next big release since RG RX-78 and it's poised to be huge.

It's price will probably throttle it a bit but still, it will probably move more units then any other kit we know about with maybe only Aile Strike HD Remaster coming close and again that would only be because of Nu Ver Ka's price.

EDIT: Woot!! Nu Ver Ka has offically shipped, and is schedueled to be here by the 19th so plenty of time before X Mas. Can't wait to get my hands on him. Also I ddin't know until I checked it the other day but Unicorn HD + MS Cage is the exact same size box as Wing Gundam Zero EW PG.

Jube3

EDIT: Woot!! Nu Ver Ka has offically shipped, and is schedueled to be here by the 19th so plenty of time before X Mas. Can't wait to get my hands on him. Also I ddin't know until I checked it the other day but Unicorn HD + MS Cage is the exact same size box as Wing Gundam Zero EW PG.

Awesome! I can't wait to get mine. I'm a bit dissapointed that some of the gray parts are stickers, but thats nothing a little paint can't fix. I tried finishing up a kit this weekend to get the backlog done(the 1/35 Hard Graph Core Fighter) I thought I could finish it, but it was more work than I had time for. Managed to get the painting all done but didn't have time to finish the decals or paint the figures it comes with. I really like this kit, it was super simple to build a lot of the pieces have great panel line detailing (lots of holes/rivits too). Anyways, here is a WIP shot with it next to a 1/100 08th Gundam (I don't have an RX-78-2 to pose it with yet).

8280362522_e26370170e_z.jpg

Beth Cyra

Awesome! I can't wait to get mine. I'm a bit dissapointed that some of the gray parts are stickers, but thats nothing a little paint can't fix. I tried finishing up a kit this weekend to get the backlog done(the 1/35 Hard Graph Core Fighter) I thought I could finish it, but it was more work than I had time for. Managed to get the painting all done but didn't have time to finish the decals or paint the figures it comes with. I really like this kit, it was super simple to build a lot of the pieces have great panel line detailing (lots of holes/rivits too). Anyways, here is a WIP shot with it next to a 1/100 08th Gundam (I don't have an RX-78-2 to pose it with yet).

8280362522_e26370170e_z.jpg

Seeing Ground Gundam there really makes me think of the RG Ground Gundam they showed line art for. I'm not the biggest fan of GG, but still a RG of him would be pretty boss.

On an unrelated note I watched the first 13 episodes of Kio's arc in Age.

Alot of people are right, but I didn't hate Kio nearly as much as many seem to. The most shocking thing is how meh he is, I mean really even though he is the star he is so freaking worthless.

Still hate Space Hitler with all my being.

Lastly though no one really pointed out my biggest issue with this arc and that is the shitty Captian sub-plot. The entire thing is pointless and written so poorly I find myself just wanting more of anything at this point just so I don't have to see this cry baby be more worthless.

Ugh, the last 10 episodes are going to be so painful it's crazy. Oh and Hino, Wolf anbd his end was cool, however trying to recycle the same thing but with a character that has less then 15 minutes of screen time was fucking retarded.

Boxart for Tallgeese is finally out, got to say I love it. Easily the best Wing BA aside from Epyon. Also saw the decal scheme, and the Eagel was a bit shocking as is the how all of it actually kinda just blends in with the suit compared to Wing/Epyon.

PhiLonius

Chibodee looks like his head is on fire and that he borrowed an outfit from Liberace.

And AGE killed this thread lol. Forgot all about it.

Haha yeah. The curse of Hino continues!

Also, loving the colored-up MG Tallgeese EW.

20121228193358cea.jpg

It will be neat to see if Mercurius or Vayaete go through any changes as well.

CorvoSol

So I bought the Robots Damashii Strike Freedom Gundam (it was cheap) and I cannot for the life of me figure out where I'm supposed to connect its guns to. But otherwise it's cool. Probably one of my favorite Hero Gundams.

Also Gundam AGE is terrible.

And the more I think about it, the lower my opinion of Gundam SEED Destiny becomes, which is a shame, because it still has like, four really good episodes.

Jube3

Haha yeah. The curse of Hino continues!

Also, loving the colored-up MG Tallgeese EW.

It will be neat to see if Mercurius or Vayaete go through any changes as well.

Next month is gonna be a busy gunpla month, MG Tallgeese is looking great.

Just finished painting my MG Age 1 Titus, changed the color scheme for fun. I need to add decals and panel lines, almost done though. The decals will be ver ka decals and the Titus decals, mostly in red with some white decals on the gray parts.
8325452853_5d3d5490b4.jpg

Man, all you guys are so good at painting. I've been really wanting to get Gundam model, haven't built one since I was a kid. But I'm scared to spend $40 or something then screw it up with a shitty paint job.

Jube3

Man, all you guys are so good at painting. I've been really wanting to get Gundam model, haven't built one since I was a kid. But I'm scared to spend $40 or something then screw it up with a shitty paint job.

I use tamiya acrylics, if you mess up you can take 90% alcohol( not sure if others work, thats just what i use) and it comes right off, cleans up gundam marker as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

+1 for the Tamiya stuff. I have somewhere around 40 bottles of their paint. So fantastic, and it strips really well.

PhiLonius

Next month is gonna be a busy gunpla month, MG Tallgeese is looking great.

Just finished painting my MG Age 1 Titus, changed the color scheme for fun. I need to add decals and panel lines, almost done though. The decals will be ver ka decals and the Titus decals, mostly in red with some white decals on the gray parts.
8325452853_5d3d5490b4.jpg

Awesome color scheme on that Titus.

With those Tamiya acrylics, do you airbrush or just paint them on?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Watching G Gundam again.

I absolutely love the dynamic between Domon and Rain. She's probably my favorite female character in the entire series including UC or AU.

Jube3

Watching G Gundam again.

I absolutely love the dynamic between Domon and Rain. She's probably my favorite female character in the entire series including UC or AU.

I'm debating on starting either G Gundam or AGE (because of the MG titus) but the past few pages have scared me away from AGE lol.

Awesome color scheme on that Titus.

With those Tamiya acrylics, do you airbrush or just paint them on?

Thanks! I use an airbrush, I bought a cheap Masters airbrush/compressor set for about 100 bucks on amazon a few months ago.

Finished the Titus tonight, I really like the bulkiness of this suit the shoulder armor and the knees looks awesome.

8330009304_b04249c954.jpg

This is my second attempt at pre-shading with the airbrush and I am pretty happy with the results although I did mess up in a few places. I think I need to get a new airbrush, as much as I clean my current cheap one out it tends to spurt out tiny bits of paint splatter. Does anyone know if it is due to the cheap airbrush or am I not thinning the paint enough?

Ken

I like this thread. :O

I haven't built a kit since high school or seen a Gundam series since 00 so I will subscribe and return to lurking.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Explain pre-shading to me...

Also, when do you get spatter? It could have to do with your technique, too. Is it when you first press down to spray or is it intermittent?

JCG

Surprisingly enough, it helps that despite Domon being rather stubborn and bull-headed about the obvious, to put it lightly, they actually tend to display more chemistry and spend more time interacting together than a whole bunch of other Gundam leads.

tuffy

Watching G Gundam again.

The more I watch other Gundam TV shows, the more I appreciate G Gundam. It features a cast with actual goals and motivations for their actions, a series of well-defined arcs which build to something, and a set of nested central mysteries which are eventually resolved.

It contrasts with something like Zeta (that I just finished watching) which has none of those things. Instead, the story just sort of meanders around between outer space, the Earth and back again like some sort of mecha soap opera until all the villains are blown to smithereens - which puts a stop to whatever it is their plan was.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not sure how many gunpla fans there are here, but robot4less is having a sale. Using the coupon code FB3000 at checkout nets you 30% your order. I grabbed the HG Nu ver. Ka finally.

Anyways it got me reinterested in Gundam and I want to watch some of the other shows (I know they aren't like G-Gundam)

Anyone good places to start? The only shows I've seen are G-Gundam and Gundam Wing.
It seems a lot of people recommend the original movie trilogy but holy shit, $50 for three DVDs used? No thanks. Are there any quality, affordable options?

muu

Rediscovered a whole stack of MG Gunplas I bought years ago off a TRU clearance when I moved last month. Ended up giving a Kempfer and EZ-8 as random christmas presents and whatever the first gen GM is called in a white elephant. Still got my Freedom, Wing Ver. Ka (no idea where the box is but I have the manual), and PG Strike/thrusters. Need to build the PG one day, I've been telling myself that for the last 5 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom