• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Just a reminder. Tonight is your last chance to preorder Gundam: The Origin Vol. 1. The publisher is going to lock the print numbers tomorrow. They're only going to print enough copies to cover preorders and there aren't going to be any reprints.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just a reminder. Tonight is your last chance to preorder Gundam: The Origin Vol. 1. The publisher is going to lock the print numbers tomorrow. They're only going to print enough copies to cover preorders and there aren't going to be any reprints.

Link/info?

Mengetsu

0079/Gundam
O8Th Team
Stardust Memories
Zeta Gundam
ZZ Gundam
Char's Counter Attack
Unicorn
F91
Victory Gundam

Is the offical timeline as far as animated stuff goes I think. O8th Team and Stardust might be wrong though, I can't remember quite exactly on them. My bad, I forgot F91.

I probably agree with this but coming off Zeta, a lot of people just want to go straight into Char vs. Amuro rather than doing another 47~ episodes of some (seemingly) unrelated show. I don't think it's a huge deal to skip it momentarily.

e:

I unironically love Kamille.

Watch 0079, Zeta, ZZ, then CCA.

Then finish off with Unicorn.

And Judau is awesome.

Seems like I'm missing more then I thought lol. I don't mind the stretch for the series so im fine with watching every bit as I can since I'm an OCD completion-est lol. Thanks for all the info much appreciated.

How does an American watch ZZ? Is there a recommended import? Or a legal streaming version with acceptable subs? Or just do what you gotta do?

Edit: also preordered Gundam the origin. Looks like a neat set. Basically preorder by Friday to be guaranteed a copy. They will lock in print run based on their current order numbers, print, then release in March. Amazon seems to have best price.

Beth Cyra

How does an American watch ZZ? Is there a recommended import? Or a legal streaming version with acceptable subs? Or just do what you gotta do?

Edit: also preordered Gundam the origin. Looks like a neat set. Basically preorder by Friday to be guaranteed a copy. They will lock in print run based on their current order numbers, print, then release in March. Amazon seems to have best price.

I will be honest, I only got to see ZZ because of my early days of buying Anime on Ebay and ended up buying a shit ton of knock offs, many of which I later went back and paid a butt load of money so I could own offical copies.

Anyways it got me reinterested in Gundam and I want to watch some of the other shows (I know they aren't like G-Gundam)

Anyone good places to start? The only shows I've seen are G-Gundam and Gundam Wing.
It seems a lot of people recommend the original movie trilogy but holy shit, $50 for three DVDs used? No thanks. Are there any quality, affordable options?

Late, but if you are still interested, this has 0079 Movies, Char's Counterattack, and Miller's Report for 30 shipped and new.

Gundam Movie Pack

frye

Link/info?

Origin is a manga adaptation of 0079 by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko who was the character designer of that series (think of it like the Evangelion manga in that regard) that expands on a lot of the setting and changes some stuff. Viz brought it over here a few years ago but never finished. Vertical is publishing the entire series in hardbacks but it's an EXTREMELY limited run - maybe 4000 copies a volume or so? Probably less as the series goes on. No reprints. Pre-order to get it, probably SOL if you don't.

Beth Cyra

Ship.

Who actually charges immediately anymore? I can't think of anyone that does that.

I actually know of three sites, all import. In fact one of them I will be getting both Wing Glory book 4 and Frozen Teardrop Book 8, still charges at check out. Honestly I wouldn't use them if I couldn't but they are the only ones that have manga/light novels early and ship them at reasonable times.

If HLJ actually confirmed they would've sold book 8 then I would have got it from them with a few more perfect files.

Beth Cyra

Well now Unicorn 6 is taken care of. Hopefully this will finish one day, this will make 300 dollars on blu rays I haven't even used yet.

Tookay

Keep in mind the episode itself will only be ~60 minutes like the others, judging from the Japanese release details; 78 minutes is including the 19 minutes of bonus features.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought somebody said it was going to be 60 minutes a page ago, but was hoping this was new info or something.

Still, longer than Episode 5, which I think was the shortest.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I just stumbled across Gundam W Frozen Teardrop...

WTF am I looking at?

20-30 years after Gundam W?

Heero in cryofreeze??

Most of the characters from the original series got married and/or had kids???

@_@

B.K.

I recently found out that Gundam F-91 and Char's Counterattack are available on Blu-ray.

IN ITALY.

WTF.

That's random. I really wish the Japanese version had the English audio. I would have imported Char's Counterattack. It sucks that Bandai is dead in North America.

That's random. I really wish the Japanese version had the English audio. I would have imported Char's Counterattack. It sucks that Bandai is dead in North America.

I've considered importing the Japanese blu's recently, but I'll wait until I go back to Japan next year. Who knows, maybe someone will license them in the next year.

Yes, I know. I'm a comedian.

I just love how Judau doesn't seem to give a fuck lol.

Watch 0079, Zeta, ZZ, then CCA.

Then finish off with Unicorn.

And Judau is awesome.

I went on a ZZ marathon a few days ago. I remembered why I disliked the 1st third or so of the series, the severe tonal shift was a bit off putting as compared to Kill-Em-All Tomino's magnum opus, Zeta Gundam.
Best body count in a Gundam series ever

For one, the brand new opening (Anime na jai, This is not anime) that indicates that the show wasn't taking itself seriously. It was changed for the better 2nd OP, Silent Voice in the latter half of the show.

You have a bad ass villian like Yazan from Zeta (Violate, exterminate etc.) reduced to irrelevance and a shell of his former villianous self and Mashymre Cello, joke of a gentlemanly henchman who'd get creamed every episode by the bumbling Gundam crew through his own naivety and incompetance.

The competant Haman Khan doesn't play an active role until later in the series. I still miss the incredibly suave and charismatic Paptimus Scirocco from the Jupiter fleet and the brutish Bask Ohm of the Titans from Zeta though; now THOSE were villians you'd love to hate.

It is not until Judau
lost his sister and has the face to face with the ever awesome Haman Khan
that the show picks up the pace and never stops until the end.

Also, ZZ is probably the only Gundam series that featured a rather snappy upgrade to the titular Gundam (only took 11 episodes for them to bring in ZZ, Zeta took quite a long time before they shifted to using the Zeta Gundam from the RX-178 Gundam Mk II)

I've considered importing the Japanese blu's recently, but I'll wait until I go back to Japan next year. Who knows, maybe someone will license them in the next year.

Yes, I know. I'm a comedian.

Re-license by Funi or the like not possible due to current popularity or cost of the license? Or simply not possible for the blu because of reverse importation issues? Blu reverse importation never made sense to me with how cheaply you can get a region free player anyways.

Re-license by Funi or the like not possible due to current popularity or cost of the license? Or simply not possible for the blu because of reverse importation issues? Blu reverse importation never made sense to me with how cheaply you can get a region free player anyways.

I think it's a combination of reserve importations fears and the completely irrational belief held by Sunrise/Bandai that Gundam should be just as big in North America as it is in Japan and be priced accordingly.

I think it's a combination of reserve importations fears and the completely irrational belief held by Sunrise/Bandai that Gundam should be just as big in North America as it is in Japan and be priced accordingly.

Well if they don't license it soon, it will be priced accordingly, they just won't be getting any of the profits! Seriously, I've been trying to find a reasonably priced copy of G-Gundam for several weeks now. Late to the game, obviously, but gap filling before they get any worse.

Have you watched Victory?

Yep. It's been years but the memories are coming back now, thanks for that reminder. I stand corrected, Victory Gundam takes the cake for that department (Having the main protagonist that's pretty much a wee child bear witness to those events makes it even worse).

Also, Dat OP, what a freaking deceptively cheery and upbeat OP it was; it did not reflect the actual tone of the anime at all. (Stand Up to the Victory)

Victory's bodycount is just stupid, at least Zeta's sometimes makes you feel bad.

Having (early Zeta spoiler)
Kamille's Mum get offed in JUST episode 3
was absolutely batshit insane for a Gundam series.

That's when I knew I was in for a "treat". None of that cutesy stuff that plagues current Alternate Era Gundam series was gonna happen in this one. Oh yes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ZZ's lightheartedness was really refreshing imo. I liked how nonchalant everything was.

Anyway, I started watching Wing... a bit of a ways into it. I think I'll do an all Alternate Universe marathon since I started with G. Getting through Gundam X is going to be hard though...

ZZ's lightheartedness was really refreshing imo. I liked how nonchalant everything was.

Anyway, I started watching Wing... a bit of a ways into it. I think I'll do an all Alternate Universe marathon since I started with G. Getting through Gundam X is going to be hard though...

Gundam X contributed two sweet OPs (Dreams and Resolution) to ever grace the series, but other than that? It was a tad mediocre. Liked the concept of the Satelite Cannon though. Blew my mind years ago when I watched it on VCDs :lol

frye

The only reason to ever watch X is to see how Eureka Seven poaches the few half-interesting ideas in that series and does them 100x better.

Not to mention massive animation budget downgrade.

Seriously, during my first viewing of the series, I thought the show (1996) was made before Wing Gundam (1995) as the animation wasn't up to par with even G Gundam (1994) for that matter.

Also, it's incredible that they were churning out Gundam series in a yearly fashion back then. 3 Gundam shows in 3 years.

And the fact that it just sort of ends randomly.

Well, that was a consequence of the show's cutdown from 50-ish episodes to just the the 39 they finally made. Poor ratings led to that particular decision, and canned the Gundam series on T.V. until Turn A came out 3 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom