• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Also, it's incredible that they were churning out Gundam series in a yearly fashion back then. 3 Gundam shows in 3 years.

It's actually 4 series in 4 years. Victory aired right before G. There was no break in between these series either: when one ended, another would just start again the next week.

It's actually 4 series in 4 years. Victory aired right before G. There was no break in between these series either: when one ended, another would just start again the next week.

True that. I kinda blanked out on Victory when making that statement. They were hoping they could ride on the wave of Wing Gundam popularity (that brought in the masses and fans for the androgynously drawn male characters, besides the Gundam faithfuls) in perpetuity back then.

Blackheim

pzDzQ.jpg

hteng

Banned
anyone not liking the animation of Gundam UC as of episode 5? The aerial battle lots of scene involving the Unicorn, the unicorn looks like a mismatch lines, it doesn't help that the scenes are usually very fast, in 1080p you still see the frames clearly and if you pause it, the picture looks.. well bad. Wish i have the disc with me now so i can show it but im sure you guys know what im talkin about.

I hope episode 6 would be better, the series has been going downhill for me ever since they reused animation from ep2 for episode 3.

Beth Cyra

Well White Zeta RG has officially been announced. I went and grabbed a per order for it given I tracked down a copy of the MG late last year.

Also they announced TGII MG, but are locking it behind the Hobby Shop just like they did with the RD. seems like They love to use TGII to push the hobby shop, still will be getting at least one of them given TGII was my entire reason for being hyped about Tallgeese.

Hey guys. I'm in a bad spot on my Real Grade Zeta. My dog saw what appeared to be a tasty mecha foot and shattered it. Specifiacally the left foot. I'm extrememly lucky that was the only part that was touched. Has any one heard of Bandai or a retail shop of supplying individual sprue trees so that I may rebuild the broken part?

Jube3

Hey guys. I'm in a bad spot on my Real Grade Zeta. My dog saw what appeared to be a tasty mecha foot and shattered it. Specifiacally the left foot. I'm extrememly lucky that was the only part that was touched. Has any one heard of Bandai or a retail shop of supplying individual sprue trees so that I may rebuild the broken part?

Shoot these guys a mail http://www.genteikits.com/parts

They sell most parts individually with the exception of
B runner on all RG kits (Runner Cost: 1,300 yen/14 us)
MP1 Runner for the Hi Nu (Runner Cost: 700 yen/ 8 us)
F Parts have to be ordered by half runner for the RG MS-06F Zaku II (Half Runner Cost:450 yen/5 US)
Part A1 for the MG Sinanju Ver Ka is 350 yen (4 us).

If you're feeling experimental you can try making a mold of the right foot and using that.
Here is a tut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFfXT_Cjpuk

Jubern

anyone not liking the animation of Gundam UC as of episode 5? The aerial battle lots of scene involving the Unicorn, the unicorn looks like a mismatch lines, it doesn't help that the scenes are usually very fast, in 1080p you still see the frames clearly and if you pause it, the picture looks.. well bad. Wish i have the disc with me now so i can show it but im sure you guys know what im talkin about.

I hope episode 6 would be better, the series has been going downhill for me ever since they reused animation from ep2 for episode 3.

Yeah, a lot of people talked about how "off" episode 5 looked when it came out early last year. Who knows what happened... But it's not like it was really ugly by any means IMO, especially in comparison with TV stuff.
Anyway, 6 took a year to make so I think it'll look considerably better.

Tookay

I haven't really noticed a dip or a degradation, honestly. Episode 4's battle scenes were pretty gorgeous. And 5 didn't seem too different.

Beth Cyra

Well got my Tallgeese II ordered. I must say that I'm quite shocked that TGII is actually fully a Wing release, making it only the second Gundam Wing master grade.

Still maybe this will give Treize a chance at a second release down the line.

Blader

Having (early Zeta spoiler)
Kamille's Mum get offed in JUST episode 3
was absolutely batshit insane for a Gundam series.

That's when I knew I was in for a "treat". None of that cutesy stuff that plagues current Alternate Era Gundam series was gonna happen in this one. Oh yes.

Eh, I was referring to some of the later casualties in the series, I didn't care so much about
Kamille's mom
(or most of the dead in Zeta, for that matter).

Also, what does being cutesy have to do with bodycount? AGE had a cutesy art style, that didn't stop it from killing off basically everyone I liked.

ZZ's lightheartedness was really refreshing imo. I liked how nonchalant everything was.

Anyway, I started watching Wing... a bit of a ways into it. I think I'll do an all Alternate Universe marathon since I started with G. Getting through Gundam X is going to be hard though...

Wing is a weird beast. First 20 episodes are pretty awful more or less, but then it gets really damn interesting once they get up into space and the story is reframed around Treize and Zechs rather than the pilots.

X might be the most disappointing Gundam thing I've ever seen.

Beth Cyra

Eh, I was referring to some of the later casualties in the series, I didn't care so much about
Kamille's mom
(or most of the dead in Zeta, for that matter).

Also, what does being cutesy have to do with bodycount? AGE had a cutesy art style, that didn't stop it from killing off basically everyone I liked.

Wing is a weird beast. First 20 episodes are pretty awful more or less, but then it gets really damn interesting once they get up into space and the story is reframed around Treize and Zechs rather than the pilots.

X might be the most disappointing Gundam thing I've ever seen.

I find this to be so weird because I honestly think that the first 5 Episodes are the only time that Wing is remotely good (aside from Treize) until Endless Waltz hits.

Ezalc

I was only able to endure 15 episodes of Wing before I called it quits. Sure was surprising how much I hated pretty much the entire cast. Especially the main girl, jesus christ.

Beth Cyra

I was only able to endure 15 episodes of Wing before I called it quits. Sure was surprising how much I hated pretty much the entire cast. Especially the main girl, jesus christ.

Eh the cast is what it is.

They had a chance at a the most unique lead in all of Gundam and threw all potentail he had after episode 5.

Still I found th cast much better then the crazy stalker that is Links or Domon and his annoying friends or worst of all th entire shit fest that is Gundam AGE and it's Leads/love interests..

hteng

Banned
Eh the cast is what it is.

They had a chance at a the most unique lead in all of Gundam and threw all potentail he had after episode 5.

Still I found th cast much better then the crazy stalker that is Links or Domon and his annoying friends or worst of all th entire shit fest that is Gundam AGE and it's Leads/love interests..

Domon is a bad lead... and stalker? wut..

is this the G gundam Domon we're talking about?

Wubby

Well got my Tallgeese II ordered. I must say that I'm quite shocked that TGII is actually fully a Wing release, making it only the second Gundam Wing master grade.

Still maybe this will give Treize a chance at a second release down the line.

I just ordered one too on premium bandai. I have lots of stuff coming in the mail this march now.

Beth Cyra

Domon is a bad lead... and stalker? wut..

is this the G gundam Domon we're talking about?

No just Links is a crazy stalker, and that was a terrible discription of him. More like disgustingly obsessive with Audrey. Then again it does continue the tradition of relationship in UC OVA's.

I do think Domon is a terrible lead. In fact I only think Gundam has 4 good leads when all the series are said and done.

Beth Cyra

Tallgeese II is the worst

Tallgeese I 4ever

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!!

But seriously I love the blue and even if the color was worse the fact that it's piloted by Treize makes it simply awesome to me.

I just ordered one too on premium bandai. I have lots of stuff coming in the mail this march now.

I got a few things coming in march, but nothing to bad. It's just when you add up Feb, March and April things get real painful. A MG each month, plus now a LM MG and an LM RG, then add the Homura and a few other figures and it starts to get real ugly.

Holy crap, where can I order this (I'm in the us)/when is it coming out? My boyfriend has been wanting a MG Tallgeese II for YEARS, he's gonna flip over this.

Edit: I see it's coming out in March. I guess I can't order from bandai's online site, are there resellers or online shopping services anyone has ordered from regarding these exclusives in the past? What are my options?

Blader

I find this to be so weird because I honestly think that the first 5 Episodes are the only time that Wing is remotely good (aside from Treize) until Endless Waltz hits.

The animation in Wing is bad, which makes a good 90% of the action in the series completely boring to watch, and the pilots are weak as lead characters. That's why I write off those first 20 episodes: it's just these five boring characters participating in boring action scenes. Once the show gets up into space, the story gets more interesting, the pilots' role in the series shifts (until the very very end), and there's a handful of cool action scenes too.

mingus

Holy crap, where can I order this (I'm in the us)/when is it coming out? My boyfriend has been wanting a MG Tallgeese II for YEARS, he's gonna flip over this.

Edit: I see it's coming out in March. I guess I can't order from bandai's online site, are there resellers or online shopping services anyone has ordered from regarding these exclusives in the past? What are my options?

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/
http://www.hobbywave.com/
I've used both in the past, both reliable. The former, despite its early 90s webpage format, has better prices but smaller stock; the latter is slightly pricier but still pretty good, I think they're an official Bandai retailer.

http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/
http://www.hobbywave.com/
I've used both in the past, both reliable. The former, despite its early 90s webpage format, has better prices but smaller stock; the latter is slightly pricier but still pretty good, I think they're an official Bandai retailer.
Ah, I've ordered from gundamstoreandmore before, they were really cheap. =D Thanks for the suggestions, but will these two carry the Bandai premium store exclusive, though? I found one site that has it listed, the two you linked don't have it up: http://gginfinite.com/MG-1-100-Tallgeese-II-P-Bandai-Hobby-Online-Ship-Exclusive.html

I think I'll wait a couple days to see if any other stores will list it before I bite. This won't sell out by then, will it?

I'm so sick of all these robots exclusive to specific stores, it's so hard to keep track. They pulled that crap with GaoGaiGar recently so I gave up on trying to collect the set. Just ended up with Volfogg.
Although I do have a giant CM's transforming GGG, so the tiny new figures kind of pale in comparison anyway. =<

Anony

wow, i'm way behind, i didnt know they're releasing a MG Tallgeese

looks the the gundam wing MG line is complete now

mingus

Ah, I've ordered from gundamstoreandmore before, they were really cheap. =D Thanks for the suggestions, but will these two carry the Bandai premium store exclusive, though? I found one site that has it listed, the two you linked don't have it up: http://gginfinite.com/MG-1-100-Tallgeese-II-P-Bandai-Hobby-Online-Ship-Exclusive.html

I think I'll wait a couple days to see if any other stores will list it before I bite. This won't sell out by then, will it?

I'm so sick of all these robots exclusive to specific stores, it's so hard to keep track. They pulled that crap with GaoGaiGar recently so I gave up on trying to collect the set. Just ended up with Volfogg.
Although I do have a giant CM's transforming GGG, so the tiny new figures kind of pale in comparison anyway. =<

Ah my bad, I missed the part where it was a Bandai exclusive. I don't think gundamstoreandmore is big enough to carry many of these limited kits, and I've never seen special kits on hobbywave before but I could be wrong. Honestly your best bet would be to preorder, and gginfinite looks like a good choice. Things like these run out of stock quick. Never ordered from them before but it seems pretty good judging from the guy's blog.

Sielys

Did Gundam get removed from crunchyroll for some reason? I was in the middle of the first series, and suddenly none of them are available anymore.

It's disappointing, I was really getting into the story.

Did Gundam get removed from crunchyroll for some reason? I was in the middle of the first series, and suddenly none of them are available anymore.

It's disappointing, I was really getting into the story.

I believe the license for it was up. They don't have G Gundam on the youtube gundaminfo site as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seriously, during my first viewing of the series, I thought the show (1996) was made before Wing Gundam (1995) as the animation wasn't up to par with even G Gundam (1994) for that matter.

Also, it's incredible that they were churning out Gundam series in a yearly fashion back then. 3 Gundam shows in 3 years.

It's true. I'm on episode 5 or so now... X has good ideas but terrible execution of them.

Beth Cyra

The animation in Wing is bad, which makes a good 90% of the action in the series completely boring to watch, and the pilots are weak as lead characters. That's why I write off those first 20 episodes: it's just these five boring characters participating in boring action scenes. Once the show gets up into space, the story gets more interesting, the pilots' role in the series shifts (until the very very end), and there's a handful of cool action scenes too.
I actually agree on this for the most part.

The thing is I don't agree on Heero. He was unique and still is and it really gave a feeling of what it would be like to have a killer and not just a soldier as a lead. To this day there is nothing in Gundam like Heero firing his Buster Rifle, killing two people and then laughing his head off. That is why I value those first few episodes.

I can vouche for GGinfinite. I've ordered multiple Online exclusives from them. They do have a decent mark up, but it is a lot less then what it will be when waiting for it to release and then getting it off eBay.

Gundam W has plot holes... and way too many reused animations. But I still love it.

Oh, god. The Wing Transformation animation. Mostly the mid-air one, but also the sliding along the ground one. And the spinning buster rifle shot that they actually stuck in the second intro. And the mobile dolls (although I guess there is a logical excuse for that?).

The worst part though was the back to back clip episodes. What were they thinking?

Anyways, I just finished the series, and I liked it. I think it went a bit too long and lost the plot a bit, but overall I can dig it.

frye

The worst part though was the back to back clip episodes. What were they thinking?

IIRC, they were supposed to be prequel episodes ("Episode Zero" was later made into a manga and Endless Waltz has a few flashbacks to stuff that should have happened there) but... honestly, I'm not really sure what happened actually.

IIRC, they were supposed to be prequel episodes ("Episode Zero" was later made into a manga and Endless Waltz has a few flashbacks to stuff that should have happened there) but... honestly, I'm not really sure what happened actually.

Is that the "true" Operation Meteor stuff? I thought it was cool conceptually, but a bit far-fetched that the plan was similarly altered 5 times.

frye

Is that the "true" Operation Meteor stuff? I thought it was cool conceptually, but a bit far-fetched that the plan was similarly altered 5 times.

It's more like extra backstory for the main characters. Wikipedia has a pretty good summary.

I think Operation Meteor was only revised once: the original plan called for an asteroid drop (hence the name) followed by the Gundams cleaning up afterwards. The first part was scrapped which sort of explains the nonsensical "hey let's send 5 robots to blow shit up randomly which will crush the Earth alliance because???" thing.

Beth Cyra

It's more like extra backstory for the main characters. Wikipedia has a pretty good summary.

I think Operation Meteor was only revised once: the original plan called for an asteroid drop (hence the name) followed by the Gundams cleaning up afterwards. The first part was scrapped which sort of explains the nonsensical "hey let's send 5 robots to blow shit up randomly which will crush the Earth alliance because???" thing.

I think the backstory served well enough. The only real problem was it forced the story on the leads were the entire setup and decisions were made by the five doctors.

So in a way it was a good setup for what the show ended up being for the first half, 5 people doing as they're told. It just isn't great for a show where you would expect character development to actually happen beyond anything even barely shallow for a prolonged length of time.

Hahaha. I'm watching 00 season 2 for the first time. I know it has a bit of a mixed reception, but I loved the first season, and although I've been disappointed with the second season, I like it well enough so far.

But at the end of the 19th (I think) episode, everybody is talking about their "yearning" thus the title of the episode. So there is Saji for Louise, Louise for Saji, Mother, Colonel, etc. Then Tieria say Veda, which is kind of funny. And then Setsuna. Who says ... Gundam. I burst out laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom