• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wubby

I finally had a chance to run down to the local Yamada Denki and pick up a Tallgeese. Only had two left and it just came out yesterday. Came with a free set of MG builders parts too as part of some campaign. Also grabbed a One Piece: Nine Snake pirate ship from Bandai's Grand Ship Collection.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I finally had a chance to run down to the local Yamada Denki and pick up a Tallgeese. Only had two left and it just came out yesterday. Came with a free set of MG builders parts too as part of some campaign. Also grabbed a One Piece: Nine Snake pirate ship from Bandai's Grand Ship Collection.

Nice. Mine is on preorder and should be shipping next month I hope!

Oh shit, it's out already? Guess I know what I'm getting in a bit.

Finished 00. Didn't like season 2 as much as season 1, but I was happy overall. I would prefer if they had never made the movie. While the production values were nice, I just didn't like the direction they went with like the whole thing.

Taking a break from Gundam, then jumping over to the U.C. stuff, starting with 0079.

Finished 00. Didn't like season 2 as much as season 1, but I was happy overall. I would prefer if they had never made the movie. While the production values were nice, I just didn't like the direction they went with like the whole thing.

Taking a break from Gundam, then jumping over to the U.C. stuff, starting with 0079.

Your first time entering the U.C stuff? Prepare for dat vintage Gundam animation... 0% CGI and 100% handdrawn animation... as God intended.

Also CaptainBrightbitchslap.gif.

Your first time entering the U.C stuff? Prepare for dat vintage Gundam animation... 0% CGI and 100% handdrawn animation... as God intended.

Also CaptainBrightbitchslap.gif.

Love the lack of cg. Don't love the aspect ratio, but I can adapt. I can also adapt to the dated nature of the animation after a few episodes. But I would take dated over extreme CG any day. The CG chugging along at like 10fps in the Berserk movie was murder.

But yes, first time into U.C. Gundam series. There is so much of it I want to take a break before I start. Also the reason why I'm hitting U.C. last-ish (I haven't seen any of Seed either), I just watched Wing and 00 over the past couple of weeks. I figured the contained universes were the way to start off. I am not sure if it is the right thing to do, but I am probably going to do the movie versions of 0079 first, then the side stories, Zeta, ZZ and then Char's Counterattack comes next I guess?

I am curious to see if coming at it from the angle of the alternate timelines affects my perception of the original material, though.

I figure I'll probably go back and watch the episode version of 0079 later, but I figure the movies are the fine-tuned version of the story, and don't suffer from early cancellation.

PhiLonius

Love the lack of cg. Don't love the aspect ratio, but I can adapt. I can also adapt to the dated nature of the animation after a few episodes. But I would take dated over extreme CG any day. The CG chugging along at like 10fps in the Berserk movie was murder.

But yes, first time into U.C. Gundam series. There is so much of it I want to take a break before I start. Also the reason why I'm hitting U.C. last-ish (I haven't seen any of Seed either), I just watched Wing and 00 over the past couple of weeks. I figured the contained universes were the way to start off. I am not sure if it is the right thing to do, but I am probably going to do the movie versions of 0079 first, then the side stories, Zeta, ZZ and then Char's Counterattack comes next I guess?

I am curious to see if coming at it from the angle of the alternate timelines affects my perception of the original material, though.

I figure I'll probably go back and watch the episode version of 0079 later, but I figure the movies are the fine-tuned version of the story, and don't suffer from early cancellation.

If your watching Zeta for the first time, be sure to watch the series rather than the movies.

The movies compress the 43 (42 in the US DVD collection due the episode "Cucuruz Doan's Island" being cut and never shown on American T.V.) episodes into three parts that comprise the 'gist' of the entire series I guess, but protray certain events that'll only make sense if you watched the episodic version 1st. Also quite a number of character building moments were cut out due to time constraints and certain developments in the movies would just leave you scratching your head in confusion without the TV series to set it in context.

I recommend that you watch the movies after the episodes, if only to get the original intent and vision of the director (Tomino) of the series, but if you're in a hurry to reach Zeta (arguably the highlight of the UC series), then go ahead with the movies.

You'll find that the alternate universes crib a lot of the material in the UC, which is understandable, especially when it comes to character archetypes and motivations. The most notorious Gundam A.U. that did this was SEED. It's a good thing you haven't seen SEED yet, it'll spoil your 1st viewing of the UC series considerably.

The movies compress the 43 (42 in the US DVD collection due the episode "Cucuruz Doan's Island" being cut and never shown on American T.V.) episodes into three parts that comprise the 'gist' of the entire series I guess, but protray certain events that'll only make sense if you watched the episodic version 1st. Also quite a number of character building moments were cut out due to time constraints and certain developments in the movies would just leave you scratching your head in confusion without the TV series to set it in context.

I recommend that you watch the movies after the episodes, if only to get the original intent and vision of the director (Tomino) of the series, but if you're in a hurry to reach Zeta (arguably the highlight of the UC series), then go ahead with the movies.

You'll find that the alternate universes crib a lot of the material in the UC, which is understandable, especially when it comes to character archetypes and motivations. The most notorious Gundam A.U. that did this was SEED. It's a good thing you haven't seen SEED yet, it'll spoil your 1st viewing of the UC series considerably.

Interesting. I might do that instead, then. As for that episode, why was it cut? I assume there are translations out there should I choose to watch it?

Yeah, my understanding is that Seed is kind of a retelling of the original for the younger crowd, which is why I held off. Wing and 00 back-to-back was a bit much as they have certain thematic similarity, but greatly diverge in getting there. Although I think anti-war is kind of a theme of the series, the strong focus on permanent peace is more at the fore in these two? I could be wrong, but that is the impression I have.

I also forgot I have G-Gundam on order, but I'll probably tackle that another time.

Interesting. I might do that instead, then. As for that episode, why was it cut? I assume there are translations out there should I choose to watch it?

Yeah, my understanding is that Seed is kind of a retelling of the original for the younger crowd, which is why I held off. Wing and 00 back-to-back was a bit much as they have certain thematic similarity, but greatly diverge in getting there. Although I think anti-war is kind of a theme of the series, the strong focus on permanent peace is more at the fore in these two? I could be wrong, but that is the impression I have.

I also forgot I have G-Gundam on order, but I'll probably tackle that another time.

From Gundam Wikia:-

Apparently the director (Tomino) felt that it wasn't up to par with the other episodes for US audiences and he requested it be cut for the North American lineup.

G-Gundam gets a very polarizing reaction here on GundamGAF and amongst the Gundam fandom in general, I personally like how different it is as compared to the rest of the shows. Having an addiction to the Super Robot Taisen(Wars) series also helps I guess :D

The MG model for God Gundam (Burning Gundam in the US) is also just divine!

img_3489.jpg

frye

Doan's Island was cut because it sucks shit. I would just go with your original plan of watching the compilation movies - the differences are negligible and the movies are technically the "canon" version (as seen in Char's Counterattack). Also it would be wise to keep in mind that while the anti-war theme is prevalent, it's the idea of intergenerational conflict that's the heart and soul of Tomino's UC. When SEED changes the conceit of the Newtype into the Coordinator, for example, it changes something pretty fundamental about 0079.

I would watch G Gundam after the main UC stuff. It functions pretty nicely as a response to Tomino's themes.

Speaking of G-Gundam, are the subtitles edited for American sensibilities as well, or just the dub? Is the only difference the Gundam names?

Subs are fine, the dub...... not so much, in my opinion, which only counts for me lol. Others on the forum will definitely disagree.

Then again when it comes to Gundam, I'm sorta a Japanophile weaboo lol, so take that into consideration.

Subs are fine, the dub...... not so much, in my opinion, which only counts for me lol. Others on the forum will definitely disagree.

Then again when it comes to Gundam, I'm sorta a Japanophile weaboo lol, so take that into consideration.

I was actually more curious about whether the names were edited from things like God Gundam in the subtitles in addition to the dub, or if the subtitles are accurate translations in that respect. As you will see below, I generally prefer dubs, but even something like that might make me go with the subs.

I prefer to watch my anime with the dubs. Not sure why. You couldn't make me watch a live film dubbed, but I prefer animation to be dubbed. Unless it is terrible. And I don't mind having the option, but if I do have the option I will take it.

As for the Gundam dubs, I think they are pretty good. Ocean really needs some new talent, though. Brad Swaile did a good twist on his voice as Setsuna, and Lisa Beley was great as Sumeragi and bad as Relena in Wing (not sure if it is the character or the fact that a decade passed that improved her work).

But they use so many of the same actors, between the shows, but even within episodes. I love when two or three people are the same voice, cloaked with differing degrees of success.

Beth Cyra

That is what I've heard. It is basically a remake of the original, right? Based on the manga? More similar to the books, maybe?
It's based on a manga retelling from the 2000's.

However we have had zero word on the project since it was announced. Given SEED Destiny starting soon along with Unicorn Volume 6 in just two months time and Episode 7 later this year we could be waiting a good while before we get an official word on any future Gundam.

It's very possible that Origin isn't the next one inline depending on what format it will take on. We could easily get something between it and Unicorn finishing its run.

Don't know what I want outside of Katoki being the designer. Honestly don't care for UC myself, but while I liked SEED enough I rather all the fans hoping for an extension to be announced at the end of Destiny HD to be just as wrong as the people wanting something from Glory/Frozen Teardrop and would prefer UC to either of these.

It's based on a manga retelling from the 2000's.

However we have had zero word on the project since it was announced. Given SEED Destiny starting soon along with Unicorn Volume 6 in just two months time and Episode 7 later this year we could be waiting a good while before we get an official word on any future Gundam.

It's very possible that Origin isn't the next one inline depending on what format it will take on. We could easily get something between it and Unicorn finishing its run.

Don't know what I want outside of Katoki being the designer. Honestly don't care for UC myself, but while I liked SEED enough I rather all the fans hoping for an extension to be announced at the end of Destiny HD to be just as wrong as the people wanting something from Glory/Frozen Teardrop and would prefer UC to either of these.

What I read of Frozen Teardrop seemed like a disaster, but that might just be due to wiki writers and it not being completed. Glory seems unnecessary. I like the idea of leaving the manga for those who are into it (in Japan at least, lol, as I doubt that many come over), and let the stories speak for themselves. I haven't seen any of Seed, but I think a lot of people disliked Destiny, correct?

I don't know enough about the designers to have a preference yet.

What I read of Frozen Teardrop seemed like a disaster, but that might just be due to wiki writers and it not being completed. Glory seems unnecessary. I like the idea of leaving the manga for those who are into it (in Japan at least, lol, as I doubt that many come over), and let the stories speak for themselves. I haven't seen any of Seed, but I think a lot of people disliked Destiny, correct?

Disliked is an understatement lol. Things got from bad to worse with the hate for the main protoganist (Shinn) in Destiny amongst other things that they actually roped in the one (Kira Yamato) from the original SEED back into action to shore up the numbers. They don't call him Jesus Yamato for no reason lol.

I remember back in the heydays of '04 - '05 when it was 1st airing, the Japanese online Gundam community was dishing out the hate, and some created colorful animated flash videos to express their distaste/parody SEED Destiny. I recall going to a site that had a kenkoudaa.jp in it or something and laughing my bum off at the videos even with my close to zero understanding of the kanji/kana. Good times.

Beth Cyra

Glory is far better the the anime ever hoped o be (just misses the amazing music) and while Frozen does have issues,it has several good ideas.

One thing that doesn't really get brought up a lot is the fact Unicorn had several shit ideas and the novels as a whole could be easily considered a disaster, and was by several UC fans that I know. Yet it got cleaned up nicely for the OVA's. doesn't change me not wanting Frozen, but the story having problems is most certainly the reason.

Given Origin is making it's way over I frankly would be shocked if Glory never makes it, though Bandai does seem to treat Wing oddly at times so they could refuse anyone who wants to do it.

As for Destiny's hate, this isn't remotely an issue, SEED and more importantly Kira, Lacus and Athrun are the most popular thing to come out of Gundam since Amuro/Kamille/Char, and nothing comes even close. If there was an extension it's assured they wouldn't be dumb enough to push Shinn as the lead again.

Ezalc

The dub is great, especially that one scene with Rain in the cockpit and the machine going down. Yeah.... I mean, Schwarz is awesome.

As for Destiny's hate, this isn't remotely an issue, SEED and more importantly Kira, Lacus and Athrun are the most popular thing to come out of Gundam since Amuro/Kamille/Char, and nothing comes even close. If there was an extension it's assured they wouldn't be dumb enough to push Shinn as the lead again.

Which is why it boggled my mind so much why they had to introduce Shinn to the series in the 1st place. A sequel that centered on those primary 3 from the start would've been perfect. Took 11 crummy episodes before I could see Freedom kick rump again.

Shinn's unhealthy obsession with his dead sister and the many repeated flashbacks with her voice on the pink handphone didn't help at all. Over and over again. We get the point.

Although I have to admit having Shuuichi Ikeda (who played Char) play the Chairman Gilbert of Plant in Destiny was a stroke of genius lol.

Beth Cyra

Which is why it boggled my mind so much why they had to introduce Shinn to the series in the 1st place. A sequel that centered on those primary 3 from the start would've been perfect. Took 11 crummy episodes before I could see Freedom kick rump again.

Although I have to admit having Shuuichi Ikeda (who played Char) play the Chairman Gilbert of Plant in Destiny was a stroke of genius lol.
Zeta is the reason, Shinn is/was meant to be SEED's version of Kamille with Kira taking on the role of Amuro and Athrun becoming Quattro.

It failed and the audience didn't take to him, and this is why you had this reaction. Had it gone the way they hoped it would weird you out in the someway it would if someone tried to complain that it wasn't Amuro as the lead in Zeta.

Zeta is the reason, Shinn is/was meant to be SEED's version of Kamille with Kira taking on the role of Amuro and Athrun becoming Quattro.

It failed and the audience didn't take to him, and this is why you had this reaction. Had it gone the way they hoped it would weird you out in the someway it would if someone tried to complain that it wasn't Amuro as the lead in Zeta.

Another interesting point you brought up. They didn't make him Quattro, although they tried with the Alex Dino shtick lol but instead they neutered Athrun in Destiny.

Really, really neutered him. He was portrayed as ineffective, incompetent and always got his head handed to him in fights as compared to SEED where he was part of the elite lol. All that character development and progress flushed down the proverbial toilet in the 2 years after SEED. If you were an Athrun fan from SEED, you'd be doubly pissed at what they did to him lol.

Beth Cyra

Another interesting point you brought up. They didn't make him Quattro, although they tried with the Alex Dino shtick lol but instead they neutered Athrun in Destiny.

Really, really neutered him. He was portrayed as ineffective, incompetent and always got his head handed to him in fights as compared to SEED where he was part of the elite lol. All that character development and progress flushed down the proverbial toilet in the 2 years after SEED. If you were an Athrun fan from SEED, you'd be doubly pissed at what they did to him lol.
Athrun was why I was excited for Destiny. Didn't care for any SEED characters really outside of him. Sadly I actually watched Destiny :( so my hopes were horribly dashed.

Thankfully the Destiny movie comp salvages the series somewhat.

I actually watched Zeta first, then the episodic versions of the original series. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that, I really enjoyed both. =D Zeta is completely awesome. The pacing in First Gundam had some issues but the characters were pretty varied and hearing their stories was always pretty cool. I haven't seen all 3 movies but I can't imagine you'd get the same experience from watching them. So maybe watching them as a summary and then watching all of First later on when you can better appreciate it is a good idea.

ZZ was very strange, and extremely long, but the protagonist is somehow one of the least whiny main Gundam pilots. I haven't seen Victory yet, but I'm guessing there's some kind of reverse correlation between how whiny the protagonist of a UC show is and how good the series is.

I'm pretty sure someone asked Tomino about the island episode at NYCC one year, and unless I'm mixing stories, he admitted it wasn't terrible but didn't want to release it until the director apologized, and said something like "he knows what he did". Lol.

The dub is pretty great, but I can never watch it because I'm too much of a Seki Tomokazu fangirl. Heh.

I don't speak French, but the article says that this image is in the new issue of Gundam ACE:

http://www.manga-news.com/public/2013/newsjp/janvier/.gundam-origin-anime_m.jpg[/ig]

Gundam Guy is reporting the same thing. We should probably wait for something official from Sunrise/Bandai.[/QUOTE]

Cool looking poster. Wonder if thy would go with an art style like that or modify it some. Is Gundam Ace not an official publication? Or you just mean confirmation that that is indeed the cover?

Cool looking poster. Wonder if thy would go with an art style like that or modify it some. Is Gundam Ace not an official publication? Or you just mean confirmation that that is indeed the cover?

Gundam ACE is an official monthly publication, but the news hasn't been officially announced. That image is an old theatrical poster for the Gundam movie trilogy with some new text slapped on the top. It's not a Gundam ACE cover. This what Gundam ACE covers look like:

images

I bet it's true, but I'd rather wait for Sunrise to say something before we start freaking out.

Beth Cyra

Well at least Origin will create a gap in SEED animation if hopes of SEEED fans play out, so I'm thankful regardless on ny feelings about Origin and 0079 in general.

Beth Cyra

What happened to the Seed Destiny movies? Are they just not worth the money to make?
They released them along time ago.

Unless you mean a follow up, but we never even got a final name for the movie and it was canceled along time ago. The director's Wife and co writer of Destiny ended up passing away if I remember right.

Beth Cyra

I've heard that's the case. I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime.

People who hated Destiny really should give it a shot. Even more so who thinking Shinn is a god awful lead. The movies cut back so much of his stupid bullshit and they are cut in such a way it almost turns Athrun into the lead making both Shinn and Kira far easier to deal with.

Also given the majority of Destiny is written so terribly it just cuts back on the bullshit being stuffed down your throat. So really it's like the reverse of how alot of people look at the Zeta Movie comp.

Beth Cyra

Whut? This is news to me.

That was meant to be Wife, iPad makes some odd changes.

And that maybe wrong, I can't remember the exact reason.

Edit: Did some fact checking and it doesn't look like she was Co Director, just writer and she was ill since near the end of Destiny and later would pass away either beofre or after they canceled the SEED movie.

frye

That was meant to be Wife, iPad makes some odd changes.

And that maybe wrong, I can't remember the exact reason.

Edit: Did some fact checking and it doesn't look like she was Co Director, just writer and she was ill since near the end of Destiny and later would pass away either beofre or after they canceled the SEED movie.

You're thinking of Chiaki Morosawa and while she was sick (brain cancer I think?) she hasn't passed away.

Dram

This is from 2008
http://aeug.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html#3081073526684653541

Reports from Japanese sites, such as Ayano☆Diary, say the most recent issue of Animage gives a long-awaited update on the situation surrounding the Gundam SEED movie, originally announced back in May of 2006. Chiaki Morosawa, who was the subject of an interview, says the plot has been done for some time now but that following the end of SEED Destiny, she fell ill, underwent examinations, and currently goes to the hospital for treatment. Apologizing more than once, she states the delay was simply due to that and though there isn't a plan in place, she has no lack of energy so she asks fans to please wait a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom