• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a Gundam fan for years, but I've never watched anything in the Universal Century. I decided to change that by tackling MSG first. I marathon'd it (shit was cray), and now I'm sort of at a crossroad. I can either choose to watch it chronologically, or in the order the series were produced. There isn't much of a difference, but IGLOO and 8th MS come after MSG in the timeline, so I don't know whether to watch those or Zeta. Are the two former series more appreciable as prequels or sequels?

Beth Cyra

So I decided to get into the Universal Century by tackling MSG first. I marathon'd it, and now I'm sort of at a crossroad. I can either choose to watch it chronologically, or in the order the series were produced. There isn't much of a difference, but IGLOO and 8th MS come after MSG in the timeline, so I don't know whether to watch those or Zeta. Are the two former series more appreciable as prequels or sequels?

The only one I really think should be watched before Zeta is Stardust Memory, it sets up the TItans. At least when it comes to 08th Team you can do it at anytime and still get about the same feeling from exiting the series.

The only one I really think should be watched before Zeta is Stardust Memory, it sets up the TItans.
Whoops, I forgot about Stardust. I was planning on watching it with War in the Pocket before Zeta, just not sure about IGLOO and 8th MS. I was getting the impression that 8th was that sort of show, so thanks for your input!

The only one I really think should be watched before Zeta is Stardust Memory, it sets up the TItans. At least when it comes to 08th Team you can do it at anytime and still get about the same feeling from exiting the series.

Hrm.. not a bad OVA series, decent animation and has some of my favourite Gundam models. (The GP 01 Zeyphantres, GP 02 Physalis and GP 03 Dendrobium are all awesome).

But the characters aren't that good, I don't feel for Kou Uraki's struggles as I did with Amuro and the rationale behind a nuclear armed Gundam didn't make sense when they already had Minovsky particles and beam weaponry.

Was Kou Uraki the only non Newtype to ever headline a Gundam series in the UC set of Gundams, well, besides the Banagher Links dude from Unicorn?

I don't think Shiroh from 08th MS Team was a Newtype.

And isn't Banagher a Newtype?

Eh? I thought the reason the Unicorn gelled with him is because he's not a newtype.

I mean the Unicorn was built to destroy Newtypes and their mechas with its NTD (New Type Destroyer) system. It would defeat the purpose of having it built in there if it required a newtype to control. Plus there's that time limit in place for operation of the said system.

During the 1st episode itself the system demonstrated itself against the Marida, the grown up artifical Newtype Puru clone (a very very nice throwback/continuity base to the fans who watched Double Zeta)

Of course I may just be talking outta my arse on this one. Enlighten a fellow gundam otaku out.

Been a Gundam fan for years, but I've never watched anything in the Universal Century. I decided to change that by tackling MSG first. I marathon'd it (shit was cray), and now I'm sort of at a crossroad. I can either choose to watch it chronologically, or in the order the series were produced. There isn't much of a difference, but IGLOO and 8th MS come after MSG in the timeline, so I don't know whether to watch those or Zeta. Are the two former series more appreciable as prequels or sequels?

You can skip IGLOO. I'd watch 8th MS Team before Zeta as it's short. Actually you should probably watch both 8th, 0080 and 0083 as they're all under 13 eps and chronologically are before Zeta

RGM79

Eh? I thought the reason the Unicorn gelled with him is because he's not a newtype.

I mean the Unicorn was built to destroy Newtypes and their mechas with its NTD (New Type Destroyer) system. It would defeat the purpose of having it built in there if it required a newtype to control. Plus there's that time limit in place for operation of the said system.

During the 1st episode itself the system demonstrated itself against the Marida, the grown up artifical Newtype Puru clone (a very very nice throwback/continuity base to the fans who watched Double Zeta)

Of course I may just be talking outta my arse on this one. Enlighten a fellow gundam otaku out.

RX-0 has a psycoframe type psycommu system. It allows for partial mental control of the mobile suit in regular mode, and complete mental control in NT-D mode. Banagher has to be a newtype in order for it to work, I'm sure. In NT-D mode the hand controls retract inwards and the pilot is strapped into the cockpit chair, so he'd have to be a newtype in order to be able to pilot the machine without controls, or take over control of the Kshatriya's funnels, or sense Loni's feelings.

Besides, in the first or second episode there's a brief flashback to when Banagher was a child in the mansion in the Industrial 7 colony. He was wearing psycommu receiver headgear, implying that he was being tested for latent newtype ability.

RX-0 has a psycoframe type psycommu system. It allows for partial mental control of the mobile suit in regular mode, and complete mental control in NT-D mode. Banagher has to be a newtype in order for it to work, I'm sure. In NT-D mode the hand controls retract inwards and the pilot is strapped into the cockpit chair, so he'd have to be a newtype in order to be able to pilot the machine without controls, or take over control of the Kshatriya's funnels, or sense Loni's feelings.

Besides, in the first or second episode there's a brief flashback to when Banagher was a child in the mansion in the Industrial 7 colony. He was wearing psycommu receiver headgear, implying that he was being tested for latent newtype ability.

Thanks for that indepth explanation. I get it now. Like your username by the way. Where's the avatar to match it? =D

The point of NT-D was that any newtype could be strapped into it and upon the systems activation it would force the pilot to fight. Pretty much turning them into a living weapon. Strapping newtypes into mobile suits and brainwashing them to kill people not being a first for the federation or zeon, or pretty much anyone.

RGM79

Thanks for that indepth explanation. I get it now. Like your username by the way. Where's the avatar to match it? =D

Thanks for reminding me. I do more reading than posting here so putting on an avatar wasn't that high a priority for me when I joined up.

Anyone here seen the preview for the new 08th MS Team short animation? It's going to be on the new blu-ray edition of 08th MS Team out this month on the 22nd. It's a new 10 minute long scenario about the team taking on a bunch of enemies while crossing a bridge into different territory, including the Gouf Flight types that appeared in the show before but never got to play a part in the battles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRYG3Yn2gWo

Beth Cyra

A pretty big Gundam haul came in today.

MG RX-78-2 OYW Version. I know some people prefer 2.0, but god the Anime look for RX-2 is so ugly I just don't want it on my shelf.

MG White Orge - My favorite Zaku II so I just had to get it.

MG Deathscythe Hell - It was my second favorite Katoki design for a long time (has been passed by several suits the last few years though) and I felt it was time to finally get the MG of him.

Gundam Wing Glory of Losers Volume 4 - This is such a great little book series. Shits all over the Wing series and actually makes some really awesome changes to make the overall story not only better, but somewhat good.

Gundam Wing Frozen Teardrop Vol 7 - I will continue to buy it for the art and Snow White's eventual reveal.

PhiLonius

A pretty big Gundam haul came in today.

MG RX-78-2 OYW Version. I know some people prefer 2.0, but god the Anime look for RX-2 is so ugly I just don't want it on my shelf.

MG White Orge - My favorite Zaku II so I just had to get it.

MG Deathscythe Hell - It was my second favorite Katoki design for a long time (has been passed by several suits the last few years though) and I felt it was time to finally get the MG of him.

Gundam Wing Glory of Losers Volume 4 - This is such a great little book series. Shits all over the Wing series and actually makes some really awesome changes to make the overall story not only better, but somewhat good.

Gundam Wing Frozen Teardrop Vol 7 - I will continue to buy it for the art and Snow White's eventual reveal.

Be careful with this. A lot of loose parts/pieces. I'm always afraid to move mines.

hteng

Banned
Seabook Arno and Uso weren't a newtypes, infact, by the time F91 started till Victory (late UC), there weren't any newtypes existing.

RGM79

Seabook Arno and Uso weren't a newtypes, infact, by the time F91 started till Victory (late UC), there weren't any newtypes existing.

Seabook is a newtype. He's categorized as one in many Gundam games, and is pretty much proven as being one at the end of the movie because he was able to interface with the F91's biocomputer to find Cecily.

Uso is also categorized as a newtype in various games. Partway into Victory, it's shown that he has the usual abilities attributed to newtypes like heightened awareness and being able to sense other newtypes like Fuala, as well as being affected by the Angel Halo psycommu weapon. At the end of the show, he's even able to see the spirits of the dead Shrike team members like Kamille could see Four, Sarah, Rosamia and etc during his duel with Scirocco.

ssOmfi3.png

glaurung

I realized just yesterday that the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex has already been released and sold out.

Ordered it from HLJ now, but the ETA is 4 to 6 weeks. I'd be real sad if I missed this one.

SEED HD Remaster 25
tumblr_mi5w7hjEC01qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mi5w7hjEC01qbxqfpo2_500.png

Well might as well try to finish this up before Seed Destiny HD, or maybe wait for the bds of that too since I guess more stuff was touched up than in the tv broadcast? Anyway, was virtually a recap episode with a few minutes of new material. Liked finally knowing what SEED stood for and at least hearing about the epic and awesome things Kira does and is capable of doing. I hope he continues to display proficient skills in everything as if he does could possibly become one of my favorite gundam pilots since Heero or Setsuna F Seiei. ( I like Duo too).

I assume the Kira shot was touched up which seemed odd for there is nothing going on in that scene except talking about baka Cagalli getting slapped...

Blader

In either F91 or Victory (or maybe both, I can't remember) they make a point of saying how newtypes are legends and don't seem to exist anymore. That doesn't necessarily mean Newtypes are extinct, just that no one is aware of them being around. Unicorn makes the point that the only reason people know about Newtypes at all is because they make for great pilots; i.e. if a Newtype wasn't piloting a mobile suit, you wouldn't know if someone was Newtype at all.

Seabook is a newtype. He's categorized as one in many Gundam games, and is pretty much proven as being one at the end of the movie because he was able to interface with the F91's biocomputer to find Cecily.

I actually don't think that Seabook is a Newtype. The point of the biocomputer is to basically replicate Newtype piloting abilities in a normal person (feeding data into their brain so that they can react faster than others). At the end, Seabook doesn't find Cecily because of newtype abilities or the biocomputer (he tries but it doesn't work), but because he sees Cecily's flower floating nearby.

Droog

You chose wisely. The Ver.Ka one is not bad either but I really can't justify having so many RX-78 variants!

I actually don't think that Seabook is a Newtype. The point of the biocomputer is to basically replicate Newtype piloting abilities in a normal person (feeding data into their brain so that they can react faster than others). At the end, Seabook doesn't find Cecily because of newtype abilities or the biocomputer (he tries but it doesn't work), but because he sees Cecily's flower floating nearby.

He is though. They start talking about newtypes of legend because his piloting skills exhibited newtype like abilities, moreso than what was expected from the biocomputer. Don't get me wrong, the biocomputer was to help supplement a pilot's awareness and tactical advantage, but at this point here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7FCKafYT1M&feature=player_detailpage#t=65s

That's newtype intuition when he feels Iron Mask's evil intent. Plus he speaks to Cecily via telepathy when she's thrown from the Vigna Ghina. He has a couple moments in Crossbone Gundam as well.

MechaX

In either F91 or Victory (or maybe both, I can't remember) they make a point of saying how newtypes are legends and don't seem to exist anymore. That doesn't necessarily mean Newtypes are extinct, just that no one is aware of them being around. Unicorn makes the point that the only reason people know about Newtypes at all is because they make for great pilots; i.e. if a Newtype wasn't piloting a mobile suit, you wouldn't know if someone was Newtype at all.

In Victory, there hasn't been a major war in some decades, which adds to the overall mystique of newtypes at that point. But saying they did not exist is not quite right; hell, the thing about Victory is that almost everyone has a Newtype-esque premonition at one point or another. It's just not as "exaggerated" as in prior Gundam series (i.e., flashes, lots of full on talking to ghost moments, etc).

With that said, you have Uso and Shakti definitely showing signs of being newtypes more than once in the series, Katejina was both a naturally gifted pilot and an insane(ly) powerful newtype (seeing visions, hearing voices, talking to people telepathically at times, her extreme sensitivity to the Angel Halo), Chronicle had his moments, and you have Queen Maria essentially being a newtype esper (and could even perform actual miracles).

That's newtype intuition when he feels Iron Mask's evil intent. Plus he speaks to Cecily via telepathy when she's thrown from the Vigna Ghina. He has a couple moments in Crossbone Gundam as well.
I haven't seen F91 yet but fuck, they have to be doing that shit on purpose. I can't accept that it's just a series of coincidences.

Beth Cyra

You chose wisely. The Ver.Ka one is not bad either but I really can't justify having so many RX-78 variants!

I almost bought the Ver Ka, and I know I will because I love Katoki's stuff and I want to own all of his MG's before I stop the hobby.

Still I'm glad I went with the OYW version now, it looks really good and I think he will look excellent along side my other leads.

Don't forget about full frontal, ahaha

Lol, can't believe they let that one through. The wonders of letting suggestive English words fly through the censors in Japan. How many anime OPs/EDs have foul language in Engrish that passes coz the intended audience hasn't got a clue what they mean, only that they're fun to say.

Lol, can't believe they let that one through. The wonders of letting suggestive English words fly through the censors in Japan. How many anime OPs/EDs have foul language in Engrish that passes coz the intended audience hasn't got a clue what they mean, only that they're fun to say.
I heard at a con panel that they honestly didn't know full frontal had another meaning, but it's still hilarious. As for anime songs with bad language, Howling and Red Fraction immediately come to mind, but I'm pretty sure they didn't realize what "gang bang" usually means in the first one.

I get the theme of "drop a big surprise on the person you love by accidentally or intentionally murdering them". But personally I think it would be funnier if they went with Amuro and Frau version. You know they look like a couple but they both realize that they don't actually love or care for each other so they end up going their separate ways. Except one of them is stuck with taking care of 3 useless orphans.

Gundam Seed HD 26
tumblr_mi8uqmK2ZX1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Really well done meeting and such with excellent pics of Kira Athrun and the best ending song playing over it. Hyped for how these two go for the rest of the series.

Cagalli is starting to be a baka just like Flay, Though most shocking moment
Kira has a sibling and parents? I thought he was a loner and stuff. Wonder what other secrets the parents and Lord Uzami are hiding from him, and why they will do whatever it takes to never reveal

hteng

Banned
first 6 mins of UC 6 is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0hySqbc5o

is it me or are they going with the no kill route starting episode 5?

i mean ep 4 was pretty brutal with all the cockpit kills and people getting melt away by beams but in episode 5, i haven't seen a single cockpit even remotely close to being shoot. The trend seems to be the same in episode 6.

Droog

i mean ep 4 was pretty brutal with all the cockpit kills and people getting melt away by beams but in episode 5, i haven't seen a single cockpit even remotely close to being shoot. The trend seems to be the same in episode 6.

Thanks for that link. Interesting to see them expand on the battle at the end of Ep 5 like that. Sounds like Neo Zeon were deliberately trying to not kill pilots here but I'm sure some folks will die before the end of Episode 6. This IS Gundam after all!

Full Frontal looking like a boss as usual. Him rocking it in the beam dispersal field was awesome.

Tookay

Kind of a strange retcon to start the episode, but whatever, it looked badass.

I'm sure it plays into Full Frontal's plan.

xemumanic

Kind of a strange retcon to start the episode, but whatever, it looked badass.

I'm sure it plays into Full Frontal's plan.

That's what I noticed too. I couldn't think of the word, so it irked me even more.

Oh well, better they expand on the battle scene than take from it, because as it was, it bordered on being nothing but stock footage because it went on so long before you saw anything new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom