• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that one's enjoyment of Turn A depends on how much you've seen before. I'm afraid of burning out though so is ZZ all that important for that or not? It's supposedly more comedic and I'm not sure if I want comedy in my Gundam.

Am I all set for Turn A after CCA? I hope I'm not setting myself some unrealistic expectations for Turn A though.

ZZ is great although some don't like it due to its light-hearted nature. I liked it especially after watching Zeta which is much more serious and brooding. ZZ also has my second favourite Gundam opening with Anime ja nai (Turn A Turn being my favourite), it's just such a catchy song!

Turn A is definately my favourite series of Gundam, it's light-hearted although with less comedy than ZZ. The soundtrack is amazing throughout and it's Tomino at his best.

PhiLonius

Making my way towards Turn A, which I've heard is amazing and I've been listening to Gabriela Robin's "Moon" a lot. I hope Turn A does that song justice as it's part of the soundtrack.

It does.

Talking about UC stuff I've seen the original series, 08th MS Team and am currently halfway through Zeta. After that I'm going to watch Char's Counterattack too.

Outside of that I've seen 00, SEED and
SEED Destiny uuurgh
, which isn't really relevant.

I've heard that one's enjoyment of Turn A depends on how much you've seen before. I'm afraid of burning out though so is ZZ all that important for that or not? It's supposedly more comedic and I'm not sure if I want comedy in my Gundam.

Am I all set for Turn A after CCA? I hope I'm not setting myself some unrealistic expectations for Turn A though.

ZZ is awesome. It starts out pretty light-hearted but takes a slight turn about midway through. Never gets as serious as Z, but still good. Turn A is great as well.

DoubleLulz is very close though.

Would've been awesome if it was.

x3bKO.jpg

I'd say you're good to go on Turn A.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
In reality MSG is probably the closest. Considering that it was a transitional show, it still has much of the trappings of the preceding super robot genre.
True, but it was trying to separate itself from the genre and is pretty much a trendsetter, so even though in reality it is the closest I consider it the farthest :)

Would've been awesome if it was.

x3bKO.jpg
God, that was so awesome, and the only redeemable thing in the movie.

Beth Cyra

I guess this is the AGE project they were teasing a while back...

http://www.gundam-age.net/memory_of_eden/index.html

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-20/gundam-age-memory-of-eden-compilation-outlined

Apparently it's a recap + new material for the 2nd generation. Anyone who can help clarify/correct the details would be appreciated.

I still can't believe they are adding new content to AGE.

I get that Asemu and Zeheart are the "popular" ones of the show, but even still they aren't really popular and even their arc performed like shit.

Well hopefully the AGE fans out there enjoy it.

Blader

Only in the sense that Turn A makes some subtle and not-so-subtle references to other Gundam shows. There's not a larger continuity that pays off in Turn A like, say, Unicorn for example; it's a mostly standalone work.

I still can't believe they are adding new content to AGE.

I get that Asemu and Zeheart are the "popular" ones of the show, but even still they aren't really popular and even their arc performed like shit.

Well hopefully the AGE fans out there enjoy it.

Someone I know was indeed was happy with this news. They've been wanting a second season of AGE for quite a while although this is just a remake of Gen 2. So this'll do for them I guess.

I'm indifferent to this news. I might end up watching it.

Only in the sense that Turn A makes some subtle and not-so-subtle references to other Gundam shows. There's not a larger continuity that pays off in Turn A like, say, Unicorn for example; it's a mostly standalone work.

It's pretty much a culmination of Tomino's entire involvement with the Gundam franchise. It's not just referencing characters/events/objects from previous shows as Gundam UC does. But rather it thematically and artistically a summation of all of his work.

Gundam Seed HD 27

Aile Strike Gundam was cool but the rest was just sad.
was really distressed for Kira in that accidental death of poor Nicol. He was such a good character and trying to at least support Athrun but then to die in such a way, why. I cant be mad at Kira and I cant be mad at Nicol for both were doing the right thing by its just really tragic. Really hope we can avoid more tragedy for both sides.

I guess this is the AGE project they were teasing a while back...

http://www.gundam-age.net/memory_of_eden/index.html

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-20/gundam-age-memory-of-eden-compilation-outlined

Apparently it's a recap + new material for the 2nd generation. Anyone who can help clarify/correct the details would be appreciated.

Zehearto/Asemu moments were the highlight, though Im not too sure about recap, would have wanted more time at the school with these two.

I guess with no tv gundam this year beyond that remaster, they need someway to at least generate some fast yen?

zoku88

I just found out that Hayato and Fraw Bow were younger than Amuro. I'm gonna have to lay down for a while.

4fssacO.png

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Universal_Century

I thought that Amuro was the youngest pilot on White Base and that Fraw Bow and Hayato were experienced soldiers. This is so weird.

Did you watch the original series? They all came from the same colony and were friends*

Well, I'm don't recall if Hayato and Kai knew Amuro pre-whitebase. But Frau and Amuro were close.

frye

I think Hayato lived like across the street from Amuro or some shit like that. When Frau Bow is grabbing Amuro to get to the shelter, Hayato is just outside.

Did you watch the original series? They all came from the same colony and were friends*

Well, I'm don't recall if Hayato and Kai knew Amuro pre-whitebase. But Frau and Amuro were close.

Ah, god damn it. I mixed up Fraw Bow with Mirai. I'm terrible with names. Still, it never even occurred to me that Hayato could be the same age or younger than Amuro.

And yes, I watched the original series.

Ah, god damn it. I mixed up Fraw Bow with Mirai. I'm terrible with names. Still, it never even occurred to me that Hayato could be the same age or younger than Amuro.

And yes, I watched the original series.

Come to think of it, all the main leads in the 1st show on the Federation's side, (barring the
1st Captain of the White Base
) were all in their teens.

I think Bright was only 19 when he became Captain of the White Base and is one of the youngest in the series to hold that position.

Beth Cyra

Zehearto/Asemu moments were the highlight, though Im not too sure about recap, would have wanted more time at the school with these two.

I guess with no tv gundam this year beyond that remaster, they need someway to at least generate some fast yen?

Generally gundam takes a year to two between series. Having the Remaster running is already weird.

Kobiekun

I think Hayato lived like across the street from Amuro or some shit like that. When Frau Bow is grabbing Amuro to get to the shelter, Hayato is just outside.

This is correct. Hayato and Amuro were neighbors. She says something to the effect of "You're his neighbor, why didn't you alert him to the evacuation?"

ambientmystic said:
I think Bright was only 19 when he became Captain of the White Base
Also correct. This was revealed in a conversation with Amuro's father if memory serves...

B.K.

I can't believe there's going to be ANOTHER year wait for episode seven. I guess there's no reason to get in a hurry to watch episodes five and six now.

I can't believe there's going to be ANOTHER year wait for episode seven. I guess there's no reason to get in a hurry to watch episodes five and six now.

I've never really understood this mindset. Do you wait for an entire film trilogy to come out before watching any of them? Same with books and TV shows? Why not watch them as they release, and then marathon through them again whenever new episodes comes out.

Ha, I actually just bought Unicorn 1. I was thinking about waiting until a full set at one absurd price rather than buying separately at absurd prices. But now that I know I have at least a year to find the rest at an okay price I might go ahead and do that. 7 is the final one right? Or at least supposed to be?

duckroll

I've never really understood this mindset. Do you wait for an entire film trilogy to come out before watching any of them? Same with books and TV shows? Why not watch them as they release, and then marathon through them again whenever new episodes comes out.

I think it depends on the format of the narrative we're talking about though. A movie in a film trilogy is usually over 2 hours long. There is also usually a complete narrative arc, except the overall story doesn't end. In the case of OVAs, that's usually less of a case because they're far shorter, and generally paced like longer episodes of a TV series. It makes the wait more annoying for some people, and it's understandable.

Hystzen

They really are screwing with us now with Unicorn, I will forgive them if they start Gundam Origin at end of year but come on this is a joke

Ha, I actually just bought Unicorn 1. I was thinking about waiting until a full set at one absurd price rather than buying separately at absurd prices. But now that I know I have at least a year to find the rest at an okay price I might go ahead and do that. 7 is the final one right? Or at least supposed to be?

There probably won't be a complete set. Some of the volumes are already going out of print in North America, so you might want to start buying them up.

There probably won't be a complete set. Some of the volumes are already going out of print in North America, so you might want to start buying them up.

That's only because of the way distribution was handled in North America and Banda Entertainment not being around to print more covers in the english language.

lupinko

Just preordered Vol. 6 Unicorn BD a few days ago, so I get the slipcover again.

But I didn't bother with the Limited Edition, $20 more for a fan Q&A video? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom