• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i mean ep 4 was pretty brutal with all the cockpit kills and people getting melt away by beams but in episode 5, i haven't seen a single cockpit even remotely close to being shoot. The trend seems to be the same in episode 6.
Unicorn has always been about newtype hippy bullshit. And it was pretty clear since episode 4, or even earlier, that Banagher was going to be something closer to a newtype than any of the previous universal century protagonists.

Tookay

Well I don't think Full Frontal's avoiding killing people because he's a Newtype hippie. He's probably doing it to win over Banagher and the others... only to betray them later. Because, y'know, Char.

Blader

Yeah, I think Frontal and Angelo not killing the Feddies is to make it easier to open negotiations with the Nahel Argama crew.

Beth Cyra

Nearly finished D-Hell. I got to say his Wings are one of the biggest pieces of shit in all of Gunpla.

To have that many connectors for such a thin and large piece of plastic makes it incredibly easy to break those damn pegs all because the damn connectors are garage and any time you need to undo them becaues you are just slightly off angle it's all to easy to put pressure on one side.

PhiLonius

Nearly finished D-Hell. I got to say his Wings are one of the biggest pieces of shit in all of Gunpla.

To have that many connectors for such a thin and large piece of plastic makes it incredibly easy to break those damn pegs all because the damn connectors are garage and any time you need to undo them becaues you are just slightly off angle it's all to easy to put pressure on one side.

Like I mentioned I had a few issues putting that thing together. Accidentally broke on of the red pieces that goes in the chest and I feel like the leg pieces don't really stick/fit to the frame properly.

What does everyone think of Turn A? I really like it.

It's different.

Takes a bit of inspiration from some other AE series like G Gundam (God Finger move for instance) and the original (you can see a brief homage to the past in the great OP of the show)

The main protagonist (Loran) is an okay dude, but I don't get why they had to parade him around in women's clothing half the time and make him pretend he was a woman. Amusing perhaps, but (to me) unnecessary. The plot is okay as per Gundam standards (earth v. moon)

The mecha design took me aback the first time I saw it, it's definitely a love/hate thingy. Got used to it, and it's an okay installment. Not the best of what Gundam has to offer, but not the worst either.

frye

Turn A is the second best standalone series after G and this is coming from a guy who adores Tomino's UC stuff.

Beth Cyra

What does everyone think of Turn A? I really like it.

Honestly couldn't stand it. Has a pretty vocal fanbase that thinks very highly of it though.

However for me it has a very unlikable Cast, the music isn't good and the mecha design is garbage.

As far as characters go, I liked Loran enough but the rest I just didn't care for or activily disliked. I do however like how batshit insane Gym is.

Mecha - I know it's done by someone with alot of skill and a ton of work went into Turn A and X. Thing is, I just don't like them. I have a similar problem with Mecha Design from G and SEED where I can recognize the people who made the mechs are good and I can see why people would love them, but the fact is when I see them I see nothing but an ugly mess.

Music - My favorite music from the franchise are Wing and SEED and nothing in Turn A's soundtrack comes close anything from these two.

Not horrible, better then G or X for sure, but overall I wouldn't rate it very high.

I'd give an opinion if Bandai released it before they went under =/
;__;

I LOVE Turn A. Pretty much everything about it. Music, setting, throwbacks, mechs, kapools, characters, gratuitous cross dressing Loran and all. It's still my favorite so far. I would kill for a copy of Mead Gundam. Got an art book of it autographed by Tomino. =D

Ezalc

Honestly couldn't stand it. Has a pretty vocal fanbase that thinks very highly of it though.

However for me it has a very unlikable Cast, the music isn't good and the mecha design is garbage.

As far as characters go, I liked Loran enough but the rest I just didn't care for or activily disliked. I do however like how batshit insane Gym is.

Mecha - I know it's done by someone with alot of skill and a ton of work went into Turn A and X. Thing is, I just don't like them. I have a similar problem with Mecha Design from G and SEED where I can recognize the people who made the mechs are good and I can see why people would love them, but the fact is when I see them I see nothing but an ugly mess.

Music - My favorite music from the franchise are Wing and SEED and nothing in Turn A's soundtrack comes close anything from these two.

Not horrible, better then G or X for sure, but overall I wouldn't rate it very high.

Your hatred of G is terrible.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Turn A is weird at the beginning...because the awkward nudity. It's not sexualized, it's just there...but still.

But the ending hits things out of the park. It's got this beautiful song playing that'll probably make you tear up.

Beth Cyra

It just saddens me deeply.

At the very least I like Scharz and Spegiel Gundam. More good then you have really said about Wing and ya don't hear me being all sad over it.

Speaking of which, Bandai serionsly needs to release a HGFC Spiegel so I can pose him next to Nobell/Berserker.

Ezalc

At the very least I like Scharz and Spegiel Gundam. More good then you have really said about Wing and ya don't hear me being all sad over it.

Speaking of which, Bandai serionsly needs to release a HGFC Spiegel so I can pose him next to Nobell/Berserker.

I need to finish Wing one of these days. The thing that pisses me off is that the cast is so anime cliche. At least Duo is there to keep things somewhat entertaining it's just a shame he gets one of the dumbest looking mechs. Tallgeese is still cool though.

isny

napkin dispenser
I need to finish Wing one of these days. The thing that pisses me off is that the cast is so anime cliche. At least Duo is there to keep things somewhat entertaining it's just a shame he gets one of the dumbest looking mechs. Tallgeese is still cool though.

Just watch it dubbed. It makes Wing so much better :)

Jubern

Another vote for Turn A.

While it's not always an easy watch (slow pace, throwaway episodes...), it is is without a doubt in my mind the "best" Gundam series. Not my "favourite", but the one that encapsulates the best the idea of Gundam as a... I was going to say war drama, but I'm not sure it's the definition I look for when thinking of Gundam. It's part of it sure, but not just that. Damn, need to think more about that.
Turn A comes with an overall wonderful package to boot (visuals, music, battle choreographies, etc).

Love the setting, the cast, the war drama, the epic (which comes late, admittedly), even the mecha design (came to terms with it).

Maybe I should watch it again... It'll only be the 4th or 5th time.

Wing has the best grunt mecha in non-UC Gundam. The Leo, Taurus, and Virgo are all badass.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

did you just fuckin hate on Deathscythe?

Igo

Any word on those SEED movies that were supposed to be in pre-production like 5 years ago? Unicorn just isn't doing it for me and I desperately need some more Jesus Yamato in my life.

Turn A is weird at the beginning...because the awkward nudity. It's not sexualized, it's just there...but still.

But the ending hits things out of the park. It's got this beautiful song playing that'll probably make you tear up.

Eh.. it's not like the other Gundam series are free of this "awkwardness".

The UC series has such moments too.

Any word on those SEED movies that were supposed to be in pre-production like 5 years ago? Unicorn just isn't doing it for me and I desperately need some more Jesus Yamato in my life.

qvMea.jpg

Tookay

So what's the easiest way to watch the first 3 movies? Are they on Netflix or iTunes?

I don't think so.

Bandai's channel on Youtube used to host the trilogy for free, but not anymore.

And the DVD boxset is out of print, but you can buy it used.

... It's kinda difficult to get into the UC as it is, because parts of it are so outdated, and these high barriers to entry aren't helping.

Beth Cyra

Then what does that make AGE?

Black sheep fits G pretty well. Black Sheep doesn't always refer to quality, and when you take into account all the things G does different it fits.

Mobile Fighter Cockpits
SSJ like Super Modes
Character based on Sailor Venus
Monster of the Week style episodes
No real war.

AGE, Victory, and even G Savior are still very much Gundam shows in how they are made. The quality maybe lacking (G Savior/AGE) but still they don't do anything to step outside of the box like G does.

ultron87

first 6 mins of UC 6 is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0hySqbc5o

is it me or are they going with the no kill route starting episode 5?

i mean ep 4 was pretty brutal with all the cockpit kills and people getting melt away by beams but in episode 5, i haven't seen a single cockpit even remotely close to being shoot. The trend seems to be the same in episode 6.

Ooh, I missed this.

I'm glad they touched on the no killing thing because it seemed really weird that he was just shooting out all their legs and guns at the end of 5.

Though it always bugs me when Gundam shows get to the not killing thing because enemy suits suddenly become way less likely to explode. Or at least it seems like that.

Making my way towards Turn A, which I've heard is amazing and I've been listening to Gabriela Robin's "Moon" a lot. I hope Turn A does that song justice as it's part of the soundtrack.

Talking about UC stuff I've seen the original series, 08th MS Team and am currently halfway through Zeta. After that I'm going to watch Char's Counterattack too.

Outside of that I've seen 00, SEED and
SEED Destiny uuurgh
, which isn't really relevant.

I've heard that one's enjoyment of Turn A depends on how much you've seen before. I'm afraid of burning out though so is ZZ all that important for that or not? It's supposedly more comedic and I'm not sure if I want comedy in my Gundam.

Am I all set for Turn A after CCA? I hope I'm not setting myself some unrealistic expectations for Turn A though.

frye

The great thing about Turn A is that it works both as a standalone work and as a capstone to everything that preceded it. If you've seen the others, you'll catch a few of the more subtle references but it's perfectly fine if you haven't.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
In development hell or cancelled, where they rightfully belong

G is the only super robot Gundam series though.
DoubleLulz is very close though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom