• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mj3bx70S7o1qzt40qo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mj3bx70S7o1qzt40qo2_1280.jpg
Good god almighty. :0
I'd suggest Unicorn, but if you want to get the most out of it, that might require you to do some homework and watch the original series/movie compilation (which is sort of dated) and Char's Counterattack (which I think still holds up).
No, don't watch Unicorn yet! It's the ultimate in fanservice--it'll only be special if you watch the rest of the major Universal Century shows!

Oh hey guys, what is going on in this thread?

Just coming by to say how much of a UC whore I am. I love me some UC. Except the Igloos. They're kind of eh.

Anyone watch Unicorn 6 yet? It was a pretty decent episode IMHO

Hey! I tried. Just aren't many modelers on this forum it seems. I had like two people besides myself post. I guess modelling is just too much effort for the average gaffer. They just want the instant gratification of buying the latest moe girl to put on their shelves.

Painting is what puts me off (lack of free time). On modern kits it's not a requirement but they just look so much better when painted.

I only ever finished 1 MG kit painted and that took me close to 6 months working on Sundays only.

I've finished about 20 models. Most of them are HGUC releases, though my first kit was a RG Zaku II Char Custom. For the most part, they look fine with just a little panel lining. Only the older kits (pre-2006) need painting

kitsuneyo

I'd suggest Unicorn, but if you want to get the most out of it, that might require you to do some homework and watch the original series/movie compilation (which is sort of dated) and Char's Counterattack (which I think still holds up).

Thanks, I could be up for watching the original series. It does look dated but I heard it's pretty good.

glaurung

I finished building the Real Grade Aile Strike yesterday and moved on to the Master Grade Sinanju Stein.

I loved everything about the Aile Strike... except for its puny head on a stick. Seriously, I'd chop a third of his neck off to make it look better. But even then the head is too small for the body and looks awkward. The old MG had better proportion.

The Stein is quite probably the highest quality kit I have seen. And I've built a PG at some point.

Tookay

Thanks, I could be up for watching the original series. It does look dated but I heard it's pretty good.

It's good if you keep an open mind and appreciate the world-building/politics. The UC universe is really fleshed-out and watching the inter-generational/cyclical conflict play out is the best part.

kitsuneyo

It's good if you keep an open mind and appreciate the world-building/politics. The UC universe is really fleshed-out and watching the inter-generational/cyclical conflict play out is the best part.

Awesome. Settled then, I'll watch that next. Thanks for the help guys.

Speaking of Zetas, I've been eyeing the RG Zeta for a while now. How is the kit? The only RG I've built is the Zaku II, which was a fantastic build but damn I hate the legs and skirt. Is there anything fragile like that in the Zeta?

Speaking of Zetas, I've been eyeing the RG Zeta for a while now. How is the kit? The only RG I've built is the Zaku II, which was a fantastic build but damn I hate the legs and skirt. Is there anything fragile like that in the Zeta?

I just wrote a bit about it here. Also I recommend this video review of the kit, brings out the weak points really well.

If you can deal with the overly complex frame and some really flimsy parts (especially the skirt) that'll be a pain when posing, then go for it. There's a lot of great stuff about it for sure, I just like to whine.

darthbob

Hey guys, I just started watching Gundam again, and my roommate suggested we watch MSG: 00.

If I recall anything about Gundam's continuities and such, I believe this series is not set in the same universe that I recall from childhood. Still, worth a watch, or what should I watch if I want to get back into it?

Edit: If any of this info is in the OP, sorry, I'm at work, and the images are blocked. :(

Hey guys, I just started watching Gundam again, and my roommate suggested we watch MSG: 00.

If I recall anything about Gundam's continuities and such, I believe this series is not set in the same universe that I recall from childhood. Still, worth a watch, or what should I watch if I want to get back into it?

Edit: If any of this info is in the OP, sorry, I'm at work, and the images are blocked. :(

The "mainline" Gundam (Original, 08th Team, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, Victory, F-91) shows take place in the Universal Century timeline. Every other series (Wing, G, OO, AGE, X, SEED, etc.) takes place in it's own alternative standalone universe.

Turn A's universe is debatable.

darthbob

The "mainline" Gundam (Original, 08th Team, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, Victory, F-91) shows take place in the Universal Century timeline. Every other series (Wing, G, OO, AGE, X, SEED, etc.) takes place in it's own alternative standalone universe.

Turn A's universe is debatable.

Okay, so if I'm just jumping into the series, which series would be recommended?

Unicorn perhaps?

Blader

Okay, so if I'm just jumping into the series, which series would be recommended?

Unicorn perhaps?

The original series (or it's movie trilogy compilation). It's still one of the best shows to come out of the franchise, the only thing holding it back is the dated animation but you get used to it pretty quickly imo.

Unicorn is fantastic but best enjoyed after watching some of the Universal Century works that precede it.

Watch the 0079 Movie Trilogy first, it sets the framework for the rest of UC.

You could watch Unicorn without viewing previous shows, but being familiar with 0079, Zeta and CCA at the very least will make Unicorn less confusing.

Tookay

They really need to animate the Origin at this point, or at least remake the original series in OAV. Would make it much easier to get people into the UC timeline and get to the good stuff.

Blader

They really need to animate the Origin at this point, or at least remake the original series in OAV. Would make it much easier to get people into the UC timeline and get to the good stuff.

They are. Who knows when it'll come out though, maybe next year.

Didn't they announce Origin was going to be animated around the same time AGE was announced? I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting until after Unicorn to put it out. So, Fall 2014?

Speaking of Origin, I hope everyone that posts regularly in this thread has a preorder for Vertical's release of Gundam: The Origin Vol 1 that is set to release this month.

Snaku

Banned
Speaking of Origin, I hope everyone that posts regularly in this thread has a preorder for Vertical's release of Gundam: The Origin Vol 1 that is set to release this month.

I do, and I can't wait. My favorite version of First Gundam are Tomino's novel trilogy. Going into The Origin with no prior knowledge beyond the series, movie and novel trilogies. I hope it lives up to the anticipation.

Unicorn perhaps?

try the original,
whether you like it or not definitely watch 0080 after it then 08th MS Team after that.

As far as the quality of the other universe series go
1. Wing
2. 00
3. Seed
4. G

try the original,
whether you like it or not definitely watch 0080 after it then 08th MS Team after that.

1. Wing
2. 00
3. Seed
4. G

For me,
1 - Turn A (if it counts)
2 - X
3 - Wing
4 - G
5 - AGE
-
-
-
-
-
6 - Seed. Stargazer is pretty swell though. If CE had been like that, then it would have been pretty decent. But it's not. Fukuda and Morokawa are hacks

I dunno, I personally think 08th MS Team was one of the weaker UC shows. It's still pretty good, but the romance was so hamfisted. Plus after the director died, there was a huge shift in style and tone that made it feel really uneven and schizophrenic. I do appreciate the groundedness, but the thing it was trying to do most, portray robots being used realistically in war, was handled much better in the Kummen arc of VOTOMs.

And that isn't even counting all the continuity problems it brings up

kitsuneyo

I dunno, I personally think 08th MS Team was one of the weaker UC shows. It's still pretty good, but the romance was so hamfisted. Plus after the director died, there was a huge shift in style and tone that made it feel really uneven and schizophrenic. I do appreciate the groundedness, but the thing it was trying to do most, portray robots being used realistically in war, was handled much better in the Kummen arc of VOTOMs.

And that isn't even counting all the continuity problems it brings up

In that case I'm looking forward to seeing more of the UC shows :)

I liked the romance. Usually in anime romances, the couple are restrained to the point where they come across like little kids. This seemed a bit more real to me.

The style was definitely schizophrenic, especially with that weird final episode. I didn't know the director died! It worked for me though. Just made it more interesting. This series seemed to sidestep all the usual cliches, that was my take on it.

I do, and I can't wait. My favorite version of First Gundam are Tomino's novel trilogy. Going into The Origin with no prior knowledge beyond the series, movie and novel trilogies. I hope it lives up to the anticipation.

Tomino has nothing to do with The Origin, so it's different.

Azar

Quick answer, as I am now very drunk: yes, they are releasing all 43 episodes of MSG on Blu-Ray in the summer. Also, the theme song was composed & written by Hiroyuki Sawano (composer of Monolith Software (including direct messages) & games, of the Sengoku Basara anime)
Man, I want the original movie trilogy in HD way more than the show. Hope that happens someday.

Didn't they announce Origin was going to be animated around the same time AGE was announced? I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting until after Unicorn to put it out. So, Fall 2014?

The Origin just took a 2ish dollar price drop down to under 15 on Amazon.com. Not bad at all. Wish I still lived tax free on Amazon. I actually have 2 on order. 1 set will be for me to read, one set will be either to remain sealed, or if the demand actually goes up as the release continues I'll probably sell them to cover my costs.

Ezalc

try the original,

1. Wing
2. 00
3. Seed
4. G

For me,
1 - Turn A (if it counts)
2 - X
3 - Wing
4 - G
5 - AGE
-
-
-
-
-
6 - Seed. Stargazer is pretty swell though. If CE had been like that, then it would have been pretty decent. But it's not. Fukuda and Morokawa are hacks

Wrong.

image.php

edit: And just finished G Gundam. I didn't like it at first, with it's monster/fight of the week formula. But it grew on me, and even when it shifted back to fight of the week and nothing more for like 20 episodes in a row I was still digging it. That music is epic. I like Shining Gundam better than God Gundam, though. And that dub. Holy shit. I usually listen to a show in English the first time through. Not here. Gundam Fight! Ready ... Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom