• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Seed HD Remaster bd 30
tumblr_mjw1v5tgxc1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Partial explanation was decent but I wish it lasted longer
SEED being a literal Seed I guess, based on the Reverands statement but he only said a sentence :/
, though Kira scene and response for it was really well done and still emotional. I like how he and Athrun at least experience the same thing. I cant wait for the day they meet back up, specifically Athruns reaction.

2nd half was incredibly intense.
Dearka having to dodge like crazy from crazy Mila, Flay acting as terrible as usual and just way too over the top, really trying to get on Sai and faking to deny her feelings for Kira, and then wanting to shoot Dearka, and Mila jumping back in front of it, what even? They all need to get some rest or something or else there may be deaths for some of these characters, especially if La Crueset launches some assault on this base.

PhiLonius

Always thought it would have been cooler if
they would have let you think Kira had really died and just not shown him at all until he pops back up in the Freedom during the Alaska battle.
But I think by then they had already changed the OP to reflect the suit changes so you knew what was coming.

Gotta push them model kit sales, you know?

Same reason they re-arranged the first 5 episodes of Victory, so that the V Gundam would be shown in the first episode.

Dysun

I'm about 2/3 the way through Gundam 00, never seen it before and haven't watched a Gundam since SEED, really enjoying it so far.

RGM79

I remember how underwhelming that was when I first saw it. Should have been a way bigger explosion/impact.

Yeah, Sydney and the surrounding area was wiped off the face of the earth and turned into a giant bay. That was only hit by a fragment of a colony, not even the whole thing.

jbvxZtCNqnlsLK.jpg

Are there good Gundam games available for the U.S.? I know about the recent extreme vs. or whatever it is, and will probably try that at one point. But anything else worth checking out?

Anyways, finally started my U.C. run. In the mid 30s of 0079. Quite good. A bit dated. I've got the dub only DVDs, which is fine as I prefer the dub. But it sucked when they lost the original intro/outro. Is that restored in the Anime Legends release?

I totally don't get the point of the G-Armor, though. Like, why?

Char is pretty awesome, though. The way he totally sacrifices his own men to save his own hide, time after time. And outside of some early stuff, I don't think Amuro is as bad as I've heard people say. I think they are about to get into all the Newtype stuff, so we'll see how that goes.

Are there good Gundam games available for the U.S.? I know about the recent extreme vs. or whatever it is, and will probably try that at one point. But anything else worth checking out?

NA releases this gen? Just the Musou games. The Unicorn and UC 0081 PS3 games are awesome. Japan-only, but cheap.

Anyways, finally started my U.C. run. In the mid 30s of 0079. Quite good. A bit dated. I've got the dub only DVDs, which is fine as I prefer the dub. But it sucked when they lost the original intro/outro. Is that restored in the Anime Legends release?

Char is pretty awesome, though. The way he totally sacrifices his own men to save his own hide, time after time. And outside of some early stuff, I don't think Amuro is as bad as I've heard people say. I think they are about to get into all the Newtype stuff, so we'll see how that goes.

Watch the movies. And yes, the original songs are on the subbed series release.

G-Armor was to sell model kits. If i recall my Gundam history correctly, that kit saved the franchise since it sold so damn well.

As for Amuro. He's awesome. He was awesome the entire way through. You're SUPPOSED to think he's a whiny little bitch at the beginning, because he was. The Newtype stuff I like a lot and wish had been introduced earlier. It's a defining concept of UC though, so get used to it.

As for games.. Well, the US certainly gets the short end of the stick in that regard. This gen, I think we only got the Gundam Dynasty Warriors games. I've only played 3. It was pretty bad, but I still spent like 80 hours or more. It's pretty cool just to check out the models at least.

We also got a F2P computer game called SD Capsule Fighters. I don't like it, but it has its fans. Get ready for microtransactions if you want a specific suit.

There are some games we got in the PS2 era. MS Saga is pretty neat. It's a JRPG and you can mix and match parts of different mobile suits. It doesn't follow any show's plot, but it uses a lot of archetypes used, such as the masked rival with mysterious motives.

There was also Journey to Jaburo and Encounters in Space. Both are pretty decent retellings the first series. I think we also got Federation vs Zeon and AEUG vs Titans, which are the pre-cursors to games like Gundam vs Gundam Next and Extreme Vs

And as I mention, there is also Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes for Dreamcast. It tells the story of a team of Feddie Soldiers trying to push Zeon forces off Australia after Operation Odessa. First person mech action.

Japan has gotten a ton of great Gundam games IMHO. You can't mention Gundam games without mentioning Super Robot Wars. Bare in mind that SRW isn't just Gundam, but it has such an important part in the fanbase that you should check it out. You also have SD Gundam G Generation. These come out every couple years and are kind of like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars, but with Mobile Suits.

Then you have Gihren no Yabou, or Gihren's Ambition. It's a strategy series that has branching paths. A lot of fans cite these games when arguing about "what if" scenarios.

This gen saw some pretty decent games as well. You have Gundam Senki 0081 for PS3. A lot of people loved this one. I don't know much about it though. There is also Operation Troy for Xbox which is pretty much Battlefield with MSes instead helicopters or planes. There is a similar game that came out last year on the PS3 called Battle Operations, but is a 3rd Person F2P shooter.

There is also an online shooter coming out on computer soon that takes place during the OYW. I can't remember its name off the top of my head though

Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't think I'll be opposed to the newtype stuff, and I was aware that it seemed to be a defining concept. Isn't pretty much every lead a newtype? I just haven't quite gotten to it in the story material. I took a break to watch the Doan's Island episode I found online. I'll probably finish 0079 tomorrow or the day after.

Extreme Vs seems like a game I can enjoy even in Japanese. It does seem a bit overwhelming, but I'll probably order it when I have a bit of extra cash. I also want to check out Dynasty/Musou 3. I like the visuals, and If I like that one I can probably pick up 1 and 2 for a few dollars each. I do have a dust collecting dreamcast, so I'll check that one out.

And releases don't have to be this gen. I know I've seen a few PS2 ones around I can check out if they are any good. MS Saga sounds interesting.

And I was going to just do the movies, but then I was convinced into watching up the series, so I picked up the singles while waiting to fine the anime legends releases at a decent price. I'll probably go through the series and then watch the movies after I do Zeta and before I watch ZZ.

edit: Extreme vs. is only 40 shipped on Play Asia. Interesting.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Isn't pretty much every lead a newtype?

Canonically
the entire White Base crew are Newtypes. Even the little kids.
. Pretty much all of the Tomino UC protagonists are Newtypes except maybe Seabook. Honestly, I can't remember if he is or isn't. He might be. There is nothing to suggest Shiro, Al, Bernie and Kou are Newtypes.

Even to this day, there isn't really any strict definition of what makes someone a Newtype. There are characters who are clearly newtypes such as Amuro and Kamille, but then there are others such
Mirai
who are confirmed to be Newtypes but for the most part don't seem like it. The only traits we really can confirm to be Newtype traits are enhanced spatial awareness and telepathy. More powerful Newtypes also exhibit reflexes that border on pre-cognition. And even if you're classified doesn't mean you're going to be a great pilot. I mean, hell. Look at
Katz
. He's a newtype and he sucks at piloting.

CorvoSol

Gundam Seed HD Remaster bd 30
tumblr_mjw1v5tgxc1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Partial explanation was decent but I wish it lasted longer
SEED being a literal Seed I guess, based on the Reverands statement but he only said a sentence :/
, though Kira scene and response for it was really well done and still emotional. I like how he and Athrun at least experience the same thing. I cant wait for the day they meet back up, specifically Athruns reaction.

2nd half was incredibly intense.
Dearka having to dodge like crazy from crazy Mila, Flay acting as terrible as usual and just way too over the top, really trying to get on Sai and faking to deny her feelings for Kira, and then wanting to shoot Dearka, and Mila jumping back in front of it, what even? They all need to get some rest or something or else there may be deaths for some of these characters, especially if La Crueset launches some assault on this base.

They do explain what SEED is a little bit in another episode. I think it's a clip episode when they're in ORB. I dunno.

Oh, and Gundam fans, can we stop a moment and discuss the two stupidest things about UC?

MOBILE ARMORS AND THE TERM SPACENOIDS. I mean, Zeon waste BILLIONS on all these crazy Mobile Armors and NEVER manage to have any astounding wins with them. Hell, 08th MS Team is all about how the Zeon go making some dumb Mobile Armor and how absolutely pathetic it is when it gets taken out in the end. Mobile Armors are the stupidest thing in the world, and they never do anything to justify there being so many of 'em.

And Spacenoids. Oh man Spacenoids. What an awful, terrible term. I thought Gundam AGE's stupid habit of calling the people of Earth Earthers was bad, but Spacenoids and Earthnoids was just way, way worse. When one of the guys in Stardust Memory said "They prefer to be called Spacenoids" I thought he was joking.

Man, seriously.

Oh, and Gundam fans, can we stop a moment and discuss the two stupidest things about UC?

MOBILE ARMORS AND THE TERM SPACENOIDS. I mean, Zeon waste BILLIONS on all these crazy Mobile Armors and NEVER manage to have any astounding wins with them. Hell, 08th MS Team is all about how the Zeon go making some dumb Mobile Armor and how absolutely pathetic it is when it gets taken out in the end. Mobile Armors are the stupidest thing in the world, and they never do anything to justify there being so many of 'em.

To me mobile armors were mostly a monster of the week type deal but their sheer size made them pretty threatening, especially the big zam.

I agree that Mobile Armors tend to be pretty silly especially since most of them tend to be destroyed in like one hit.

Spacenoid is a perfectly good term though. What do you propose they should be called?

I agree that Mobile Armors tend to be pretty silly especially since most of them tend to be destroyed in like one hit.

Spacenoid is a perfectly good term though. What do you propose they should be called?
Colonists?
Spacemen?
Spacists?
I agree that spacenoids serves its purpose pretty well.

This gen saw some pretty decent games as well. You have Gundam Senki 0081 for PS3. A lot of people loved this one. I don't know much about it though.

Battlefield Record UC 0081 is an awesome game, and there is still a good number of people who play it online. Gundam Unicorn was a great game by FROM Software, but gets little love.

And releases don't have to be this gen. I know I've seen a few PS2 ones around I can check out if they are any good. MS Saga sounds interesting.

As for North American releases, MS Saga, Zeonic Front and Encounters in Space are probably the best PS2 games we got (aside from the Vs. titles). Lots of other good ones were released in Japan and are cheap, so if you can play Japanese PS2 games, I can give you a list. I own every single Gundam game on the system.

Are you implying the Zakrello isn't the most bad ass thing in the franchise?

1318866648794.jpg

What. Is that? Somebody turned Zakrello into a Mega Man villain?

Battlefield Record UC 0081 is an awesome game, and there is still a good number of people who play it online. Gundam Unicorn was a great game by FROM Software, but gets little love.

As for North American releases, MS Saga, Zeonic Front and Encounters in Space are probably the best PS2 games we got (aside from the Vs. titles). Lots of other good ones were released in Japan and are cheap, so if you can play Japanese PS2 games, I can give you a list. I own every single Gundam game on the system.

I might check out Unicorn, as I can at least watch the story in English beside the game. I was too dumb to figure out how to play an import PS2 game on my PC emulator, and am too cheap to import a Japanese PS2.

CorvoSol

Literally anything other than Spacenoid. Zekes, Zeon, Colonists, Space Colonists, Spacers, literally anything other than YO NOID.

Tookay

I mean, Zeon waste BILLIONS on all these crazy Mobile Armors and NEVER manage to have any astounding wins with them. Hell, 08th MS Team is all about how the Zeon go making some dumb Mobile Armor and how absolutely pathetic it is when it gets taken out in the end. Mobile Armors are the stupidest thing in the world, and they never do anything to justify there being so many of 'em.

After MSG, they kinda retconned them to be analogous to Nazi efforts on weird superweapons. They're overall pretty wasteful, but they still keep on developing them and their crazy-ass Newtype pilots, versus the Federation focusing on mass-produced, easily-piloted mobile suits.

And the OAVs managed to eke out some accomplishments for MAs (Neue Ziel, Shambloo, uhh maybe that's it).

After MSG, they kinda retconned them to be analogous to Nazi efforts on weird superweapons. They're overall pretty wasteful, but they still keep on developing them and their crazy-ass Newtype pilots, versus the Federation focusing on mass-produced, easily-piloted mobile suits.

And the OAVs managed to eke out some accomplishments for MAs (Neue Ziel, Shambloo, uhh maybe that's it).

Pretty sure in MGS they had newtype labs, weird mobile armor and were still Nazi like

Literally anything other than Spacenoid. Zekes, Zeon, Colonists, Space Colonists, Spacers, literally anything other than YO NOID.

Not all spacenoids are from Zeon though. In fact, something like 80% of spacenoids are from places other than Side 3, so it doesn't make sense to call them all Zeons. Zeke is a derogatory term in-universe, so it doesn't make sense to call them that either. Colonists make sense, but not all spacenoids live in colonies either. Many live on the moon. And Spacer sounds terrible.

Ezalc

Not all spacenoids are from Zeon though. In fact, something like 80% of spacenoids are from places other than Side 3, so it doesn't make sense to call them all Zeons. Zeke is a derogatory term in-universe, so it doesn't make sense to call them that either. Colonists make sense, but not all spacenoids live in colonies either. Many live on the moon. And Spacer sounds terrible.

Let's just call everybody aliens.

If you have a PS3 make a Japanese account and download Gundam Battle Operation
multiplayer 3rd person shooter that is F2P and is easily my favorite I have played.
you can build and customize your own mobile suits.
coolest thing is you can get out and run around on foot.
25.jpg

CorvoSol

Pretty sure in MGS they had newtype labs, weird mobile armor and were still Nazi like

They really weren't. In MSG the Zeon are more WWI Germany. Char is the Red Baron, Degwin is the Kaiser who ignores Bismark's wisdom, sparking the war. Only outside of MSG are they all suddenly SIEG ZEON and MEIN ZAKU and stuff.

Spacer is a term actually used by guys like Asimov. Spacenoid is the worst worseness to ever worsen. And the people who live on the moon aren't grouped with Spacenoids. In Stardust Memory they refer to Nina as a Lunarian, not a Spacenoid. Colonist is a perfectly valid term, given that.

There are definitely WW1 parallels to Zeon. Like you said, Char IS the Red Baron. Tanks are to WW1 what Mobile Suits are to the One Year War.

But there are also definitely WW2 parallels as well. Gihren is most assuredly a Hitler allegory. They even say as much in-show. And the Zeon were all "SIEG ZEON" way before any side material came out.

http://youtu.be/gH0ZDRgAY80?t=2m22s

mOJIaS6.jpg

In the novels it's definitely a pacific war aircraft carriers and fighters parallel.

Oh, god. If she is Kycilia-sama in the new version of The Origin they are going right back.

And I've never seen Kamen Rider, but I got that vibe from the Zakrello picture. But I also got Proto Man, so I went with Mega Man villain in my description.

CorvoSol

There are definitely WW1 parallels to Zeon. Like you said, Char IS the Red Baron. Tanks are to WW1 what Mobile Suits are to the One Year War.

But there are also definitely WW2 parallels as well. Gihren is most assuredly a Hitler allegory. They even say as much in-show. And the Zeon were all "SIEG ZEON" way before any side material came out.

http://youtu.be/gH0ZDRgAY80?t=2m22s

Ghiren gets called Hitler by Degwin, and accepts it, but Degwin clearly doesn't like Hitler, and is doing it to insult Ghiren, not praise him. It's the only WW2 reference, otherwise they're WWI the whole way.

Then its suddenly gratuitous German.

I have all four pre-ordered too. It seems some people are already receiving Volume 1. According to Amazon, I'm not getting mine until the 1st through the 5th

Neat, let's hope they release all of them.. I ordered volume one now.

My understanding is that they will release them all, but the sales will determine whether we see any more gundam through this company. Which may mean any company. The guy is pretty brutally honest and realistic about business scenarios on the Twitter, though. So I would not be shocked if they bailed due to financial realities. Hope for the best, though, cause that shit would suck.

I have all four pre-ordered too. It seems some people are already receiving Volume 1. According to Amazon, I'm not getting mine until the 1st through the 5th

Mine hasn't shipped yet, either. Again, according to the twitter they started shipping early this week and it could be up on shelves anytime now. Amazon might just be following the actual release date.

TV series just got licensed by Maiden Japan for North American release July 16.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...censes-mobile-police-patlabor-tv-anime-series

Nice. I'm there. I already have the limited edition DVDs (they are like 10 bucks on Amazon). But I'll pick up the OVA and tv series on Blu-ray.

edit: The Origin: Volume 1
Obviously some have in hand.

Honestly, it kind of sucks. I just finished watching the show pirated because I didn't think the show would ever be available here.

Oh well, I guess I still pick it up. It's a pretty cool show.

Looks like therightstuf is shipping UC vol. 6, so now I'll have to rewatch 5 to refresh my memory.

I feel like I'm going to have to watch the entire thing again before episode 7. Not that I'm complaining, it's all good stuff.

Meanwhile, there's a vote that rrobbert184 is doing to pick the RG kits that the community wants most.
http://gundamreviews.net/3058/polls/
Nice to see that people want an RG Exia as much as me. Same with Nu and Sinanju.
I'd be pretty excited about Unicorn being in the lead too if I wasn't deathly scared of the transformation which they will surely try to cram into the 1/144 scale model. No way will that be anything but frustrating.

Kcylia's last moments in the last episode of 0079. I went :O

Anyways, going back to the whole Garma situation. Was Char basically setting him up to die more pragmatic as an attempt to improve his own situation within Zeon? Or was he lying to Sayla about having changed his mind about revenge? I assume it is a bit of both, just wondering if there is a consensus out there on what his main motivation was.

Also picked up a copy of 0079 Side Story based on Megalosaro's rec, so hopefully that is good. Excited to start reading The Origin now that I have actually seen the original arc. I also have the novels, but I'll probably save that for a bit down the road.

CorvoSol

Kcylia's last moments in the last episode of 0079. I went :O

Anyways, going back to the whole Garma situation. Was Char basically setting him up to die more pragmatic as an attempt to improve his own situation within Zeon? Or was he lying to Sayla about having changed his mind about revenge? I assume it is a bit of both, just wondering if there is a consensus out there on what his main motivation was.

Also picked up a copy of 0079 Side Story based on Megalosaro's rec, so hopefully that is good. Excited to start reading The Origin now that I have actually seen the original arc. I also have the novels, but I'll probably save that for a bit down the road.

Char was in love with Garma and could no longer tolerate Garma two-timing him with some floozy. So he offed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom