• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with AGE falling apart in Gen 3. The first half is pretty good, but once
Kio goes to Mars
the show falls flat on its face. Even I couldn't defend the show after that. It's like the writers just gave up.

Honestly, I'm surprised they're making an AGE movie. The show flopped so hard in Japan. I guess with nothing going on until Unicorn 7 and Origin, they need to do something with the franchise.

CorvoSol

Agree with AGE falling apart in Gen 3. The first half is pretty good, but once
Kio goes to Mars
the show falls flat on its face. Even I couldn't defend the show after that. It's like the writers just gave up.

Honestly, I'm surprised they're making an AGE movie. The show flopped so hard in Japan. I guess with nothing going on until Unicorn 7 and Origin, they need to do something with the franchise.

They're making a movie?

Oh for the love of-WHY?

And the show was really only good during Arc 2. Ideas in Arc 3 were good, but the bad outweighed the good, and Arc 1 was pure and utter drivel.

cryptic

For those who've never looked into as they don't know of it. I'll always firmly believe that the best mech anime is Votoms. Better than any gundam series, ova, etc. and comparable to some but overall it's more gritty, more mechs-in-the-futore-of-military themed. The mechs have no amazing individual designs, the characters are more the focus I suppose you could argue, and it is fantastical in many areas but I'd like to say it always stays grounded in it's distant future lore.

CorvoSol

For those who've never looked into as they don't know of it. I'll always firmly believe that the best mech anime is Votoms. Better than any gundam series, ova, etc. individually but it's more gritty, more mechs-in-the-futore-of-military themed. The mechs have no amazing individual designs, the characters are more the focus I suppose you could argue, and it is fantastical in many areas but I'd like to say it always stays grounded in it's distant future lore.

The best mecha show of all time is Martian Successor Nadesico.

The worst mecha show I've ever seen are Gundam AGE and Rah Xephon. The former for being truly awful and the second for being the single worst piece of Evangelion fanfiction it has ever been my misfortune to sit through 14 episodes of.

cryptic

The worst mecha show I've ever seen are Gundam AGE and Rah Xephon. The former for being truly awful and the second for being the single worst piece of Evangelion fanfiction it has ever been my misfortune to sit through 14 episodes of.

Thanks for the rec. I'll look into it but from the character pic on wiki the aesthetics seem very moe for the 80s' and a majorly female-ala Tenchi-cast somewhat throws me off; I did love Outlaw Star. I'll read more into it then go from there.

I saw the rah movie when I was young on some paid cable channel. When I was young it was good. Watching bits of the show now it seems' lousy. I don't touch Gundam anymore so I can't say anything about AGE.

SPT Layzner is another good one, and it was almost halfway subbed last I checked. Hopefully they've finished it by now. Anything by ryosuke takahashi really is bar none.

They're making a movie?

Oh for the love of-WHY?

And the show was really only good during Arc 2. Ideas in Arc 3 were good, but the bad outweighed the good, and Arc 1 was pure and utter drivel.

They're doing a compilation OVA with new footage focusing on 2nd Gen with Asemu and Zeahart.

MAH MAN!

I actually got to know about Nadesico through the Super Robot War games lol. The characters seemed loony, quirky and out of this world, especially Captain Yurika lol. Akito was the most grounded one of them all, and even he had his own peculiarities. The main battleship had an exotic main weapon, and their mechas were those cute, multi colored Aestevalis.

I then started watching it, and thought I'd lose my mind at times lol. The show is quite schizophrenic at times in its tone and presentation. Most of the time, especially in the earlier parts, it didn't take itself seriously at all; they had onboard ship competitions, they fooled around quite a bit. And then there was that genius bit where they showed an anime within an anime obssession that Yukito had with the in series show Gekiganger lol. Best part was that
the Jovians actually adored that anime too lol, and they watched it together :D

And it progressed past the halfway point and the true nature of their "enemies" the Jovians got revealed, it became a heck of a lot more somber and serious, but still had its lighthearted moments. One of the plot points that really touched me at the time was
how Akito got "reunited" with Inez (I think that's her name?) as an adult, after he thought he wouldn't see her again as a child

Now, what I don't get though, it how different its movied sequel, The Prince if Darkness is. It's 100% serious,
Akito has gone super badass and now uses a black Aestevalis, Yurika got "frozen" after being experimented on, and the precocious child from the first installment is now the captain of the Nadesico B.
The tone shift was so drastic when compared to the first series, that I wondered whether I had missed an interim series that'd bridge the two of them.

Turns out there's a Sega Saturn Japanese game that covers the events that happened between the two series. I read the summary of it that was kindly provided by this site:-

The Blank of 3 Years

And then I understood.

One of the best mecha series ever made, but not the best imo. Damn close to it though. "You Get to Burning" is still one of the best Engrish OP songs ever made imho.

My favorite non-Gundam mecha shows are Fang of the Sun Dougram and Patlabor the TV series.

Dougram is pretty grounded. A lot of emphasis on squad-based tactics and politics. Great cast of characters. I love the hell out of the villain, Lecoque.

Patlabor is a action/comedy about a police team specializing in mech-based crimes. Probably the best cast I've seen in an anime. I love the hot headed moron, Ohta, the most.

cryptic

My favorite non-Gundam mecha shows are Fang of the Sun Dougram and Patlabor the TV series.

Dougram is pretty grounded. A lot of emphasis on squad-based tactics and politics. Great cast of characters. I love the hell out of the villain, Lecoque.

Patlabor is a action/comedy about a police team specializing in mech-based crimes. Probably the best cast I've seen in an anime. I love the hot headed moron, Ohta, the most.

Can you speak Japanese or did they sub all of that?

How do the movies/OVA compare to the show? I have the movies on my shelf, and the OVA is out later this year. I'll pick up the show if I can find it for the right price, but a bit more than I want to spend right now.

I don't watch a ton of anime, and I actually just got into Gundam, too. Trying to pick up most of the stuff before it gets too expensive. Almost a complete set, just missing a few pieces. Point being I don't have any non-Gundam mecha to recommend.

Thread has inspired me to look into Nadesico, though.

Dram

Now, what I don't get though, it how different its movied sequel, The Prince if Darkness is. It's 100% serious,
Akito has gone super badass and now uses a black Aestevalis, Yurika got "frozen" after being experimented on, and the precocious child from the first installment is now the captain of the Nadesico B.
The tone shift was so drastic when compared to the first series, that I wondered whether I had missed an interim series that'd bridge the two of them.

The tone in shift is what killed the series. There were supposed to be two other movies after the first one.

How do the movies/OVA compare to the show? I have the movies on my shelf, and the OVA is out later this year. I'll pick up the show if I can find it for the right price, but a bit more than I want to spend right now.

I don't watch a ton of anime, and I actually just got into Gundam, too. Trying to pick up most of the stuff before it gets too expensive. Almost a complete set, just missing a few pieces. Point being I don't have any non-Gundam mecha to recommend.

Thread has inspired me to look into Nadesico, though.

Like you, I'm not really into anime. My tastes are mainly 80s robot animes.

As for your question about Patlabor, I don't know to be honest. I've only seen the TV series and second OVA. From what I hear, OVA1 and the movies are in a seperate timeline though. I hear OVA1 and Movie 1 are great, but not so much the other movies.

This looks pretty sweet though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a58rbowHVPU
some gorgeous animation up in this joint

Sentai is releasing the Patlabor OVA series on Blu-ray at the end of April, I'm pleasantly shocked.

The back cover seems to show the timelines:
81S6VyZeOGL._AA1280_.jpg

Tookay

They legitimately named a race Vegan? Oh man.

Also I just finished up with Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 and was wondering which gundam series i haven't seen are worth watching..

F91
Victory
After War Gundam X
Turn A
Unicorn

Unicorn Unicorn Unicorn Unicorn

Best damn thing that's come out of this franchise in AGES.

CorvoSol

MAH MAN!

I actually got to know about Nadesico through the Super Robot War games lol. The characters seemed loony, quirky and out of this world, especially Captain Yurika lol. Akito was the most grounded one of them all, and even he had his own peculiarities. The main battleship had an exotic main weapon, and their mechas were those cute, multi colored Aestevalis.

I then started watching it, and thought I'd lose my mind at times lol. The show is quite schizophrenic at times in its tone and presentation. Most of the time, especially in the earlier parts, it didn't take itself seriously at all; they had onboard ship competitions, they fooled around quite a bit. And then there was that genius bit where they showed an anime within an anime obssession that Yukito had with the in series show Gekiganger lol. Best part was that
the Jovians actually adored that anime too lol, and they watched it together :D

And it progressed past the halfway point and the true nature of their "enemies" the Jovians got revealed, it became a heck of a lot more somber and serious, but still had its lighthearted moments. One of the plot points that really touched me at the time was
how Akito got "reunited" with Inez (I think that's her name?) as an adult, after he thought he wouldn't see her again as a child

Turns out there's a Sega Saturn Japanese game that covers the events that happened between the two series. I read the summary of it that was kindly provided by this site:-

The Blank of 3 Years

And then I understood.

One of the best mecha series ever made, but not the best imo. Damn close to it though. "You Get to Burning" is still one of the best Engrish OP songs ever made imho.

Nadesico is awesome. Prince of Darkness . . . is not. Finding out that a Sega game and two sequels were planned to flesh it out helps me to understand why I didn't like PoD. That and the complete shift in tone. In all fairness, Akito's design and new Aestivalis were cool, but that I think, was part of the problem. Akito wasn't cool because he looked or acted cool. He was cool because, I dunno, because he never tried to be.

Like, in so many Gundam things I've watched lately, the heroes go "I hate war waaa" but it just doesn't seem to fit. When Akito said he hated war, it made sense, because we'd seen him develop into being the kind of character who could say that. Likewise, I was bothered that when, in Gundam AGE, the villains turn out to be the worlds crappiest Martian Successor knock offs, nobody bats an eyelid that they're actually human. In MSN it's a HUGE DEAL that the enemy aren't aliens, but humans. In AGE the so-called hero never once acknowledges their humanity.

Primarily because it's an expensive $45 commercial for plastic robot kits aimed at 40 year olds.

Honestly, it works for me. I've bought more plastic models than a man my age should. In a way, I do it to make up for the money Bandai has lost from me downloading some of their shows, though frankly I wouldn't have to if they'd just release them here in America

The Japanese prefecture of Saitama announced on Friday that it would become sister states with the fictional Principality of Zeon from the Mobile Suit Gundam anime.

Prefectural assembly person Takumi Tamura explained the alliance in the assembly’s special budget committee, saying that Saitama agreed to it in hopes of gaining interest from tourists. “I think there’s plenty of worth in trying it out,” he said. There were men in their 60s who attended the meeting and were baffled at the agreement with the Principality of Zeon, as they had no idea what it was.

Within the Saitama prefecture are cities with ties to other anime and manga, including Lucky Star and Crayon Shin-chan. Those cities have also been using their connections to these works to boost tourism. The creator of Gundam. Yoshiyuki Tomino, has been living in Niiza, Saitama for over 30 years.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-03-10/gundam-zeon-empire-forms-sister-state-alliance-with-saitama

Same thing, now in English.

Saitama to get a shipment of Zaku IIs soon?

Oh lordy, it must be so awesome in there. :3

Apparently they carry most of the same stuff that Costco in the states carries. I'm just curious. We thought about going on our last trip, but they're always out of the way. There are two in Saitama, and our friend who lives up there has a car.

Jubern

The creator of Gundam. Yoshiyuki Tomino, has been living in Niiza, Saitama for over 30 years.

Wait whaaaaaaaat. I'm living at the border of the very next town (Shiki), not even 500 meters from the center of Niiza lol
I'm going to be looking for him everywhere now, especially since when I hang out around here it's always on the Niiza side of the station ahahah.

Apparently they carry most of the same stuff that Costco in the states carries. I'm just curious. We thought about going on our last trip, but they're always out of the way. There are two in Saitama, and our friend who lives up there has a car.

The ones in the UK do the same thing, so I'm not surprised. Although I would love to know if they had mad fish for sale since the ones in Hawaii had amazing Poke to purchase in massive quantities.

Why does everyone hate G Gundam?

They're terrible human beings.

Droog

The ones in the UK do the same thing, so I'm not surprised. Although I would love to know if they had mad fish for sale since the ones in Hawaii had amazing Poke to purchase in massive quantities.

The one in Yokohama wasn't anything too special in that regard when I went there last year. Cheap Kewpie mayo though! ;-)

Gundam Seed HD Remaster BD 29
tumblr_mjiynzJkMe1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mjiynzJkMe1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Dearka needs way more screentime, Athrun too. Really emotional scenes for Athrun and the realization of what he did to his precious best friend. Got to me when the brief glimpses of the past were shown too, if only he knew. Ending was plain mindblowing.
How in the world, in this brief time, did Kira Yamato end up all the way up there with Lacus? and if Flay or Miri or whatever attacks Dearka, ugh

They legitimately named a race Vegan? Oh man.

Also I just finished up with Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 and was wondering which gundam series i haven't seen are worth watching..

F91
Victory
After War Gundam X
Turn A
Unicorn

Turn A is the best of those.

00 I kinda disliked at first but it kept on growing on me till I got to the movie.

I just watched F91. Holy shit this is the best Gundam movie. An entire Gundam-ass Gundam story told in two hours. Pacing is fast, even too fast, there's several spots where you can see how this could have been a great series. But I loved the pacing, even if it led to some oddly quick character development.
In one scene Arno and friends just arrived on the white ship and in the next they already know everyone and have jobs on deck.
There were other, stranger instances but I'll let them fly I guess. And the animation was straight up some of the best I've seen.

Also some of the orchestral score being literally ripped off from Star Wars was pretty funny. If I remember right there were lightsaber noises in Char's Counterattack too.

I really want the MG F91 now. Heard a lot of great things about it and I love the design, plus its small size means I can pretty much keep it next to my 1/144s and it even comes with a stand! Sadly both that, and the MG Turn-A are not in stock at HLJ right now.

Speaking of Turn-A, I'm really enjoying that series so far. 15 episodes in and the atmosphere is probably the most perfect thing I've seen in anime so far. The only negatives I have is that the villains are entirely unlikable and Harry just looks moronic. I can't take him seriously, whenever he speaks I just imagine every other character in the room trying to hold back laughter because of his stupid goggles. I hope this gets remedied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom