• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droog

I think that's the gist of it.

A few other things worth mentioning maybe? You've got the main ones though, certainly!

- Paptimus Scirocco, a charismatic Newtype known as "the man from Jupiter", starts to gain influence within the Titans.
- Bright Noa, disgusted by the actions of the Titans, defects from the EFSF to captain the Argama.
- Char's wingman, Roberto, dies during the battle when Char/Apolly return to space. Other than Apolly, I might be the only other person who cared though. :-/

CorvoSol

Finished up Seed. I thought it was really quite good, despite jumping the shark about 10 episodes before the end. It was a small shark, but it went a little crazy and over the top there. Hopefully I can enjoy Destiny more than many of you did. Overall it seemed more like a traditional anime in terms of structure, characters, and subplot with fewer traditional Gundam elements filling in the back story, action, and overall story arc.

I actually saw Destiny before SEED and liked it. It'd be a better show if they toned back Shinn and never included Stella.

I actually saw Destiny before SEED and liked it. It'd be a better show if they toned back Shinn and never included Stella.

Not far in. He doesn't seem too bad thus far. A bit of a whiny bitch, but since nobody, especially Cagalli has called him out yet, whatever. Stella hasn't had enough screen time to form a strong opinion yet, but not great so far, but more meh tan bad.

isny

napkin dispenser
Dunno if you guys have already seen the 08th MS Team 9 minute short film from the Blu Ray set called "Battle in Three Dimensions" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1z6VjNVluA&feature=youtu.be

Wow, that was great. Is Unicorn anywhere near as good as that?

Not far in. He doesn't seem too bad thus far. A bit of a whiny bitch, but since nobody, especially Cagalli has called him out yet, whatever. Stella hasn't had enough screen time to form a strong opinion yet, but not great so far, but more meh tan bad.

Seed Destiny makes me so emotional :x Dat Meer! Dat Cagalli! Dat LaFlaga!

tuffy

To watch Unicorn though, wouldn't I have to slug through the ton of content with Char and Amuro first?
Even though most of my UC viewing is from the OVAs, I haven't had much problem following along. There's lots of callbacks to previous series for flavor, but there's also enough exposition that's it's easy to get the gist of all the backstory without it getting in the way of the plot.

CorvoSol

The problem with Shinn is no one except Athrun will ever call him out. He doesn't really reach the height of his assery for awhile. I just don't like Stella because she's involved in an incredibly dumb romance.

Well all this talk about Char and Amuro has got me watching the first movie and the Dortmund Madrid game. I forgot how many people die when the Zeon rookie first decides to attack Side 7..

To watch Unicorn though, wouldn't I have to slug through the ton of content with Char and Amuro first?

Just to echo everyone here the movie trilogy and UC in general is some of the best that Gundam has to offer. Unicorn does heavily reference everything else that happened in the previous shows and it is filled with callbacks to ZZ Gundam.

So if you don't want to deal with any of that than just skip right onto G Gundam and Turn A Gundam and ignore everything else.

Yeah I know, I just want more G Gundam.

You and me both, Crossbone would make an awesome anime.

I just an want officially licensed/localized version of the manga. But I know it won't happen, seeing how Gundam isn't remotely popular in North America.

does anyone know if crunchyroll is ever getting all those gundam episodes back?

I kinda doubt it. Looks like Gundam will be streamed from Daisuki, once it's up and running.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums...nrise-TMS-NAS-Dentsu-to-stream-anime-overseas

So I've come around. Shinn is pretty much the shittiest, most pathetic character in the entire franchise. Not just the worst "protagonist." Any redeeming moments in the last dozen or so episodes, or do I just have to hope in vain that he gets exploded?

Blader

So I've come around. Shinn is pretty much the shittiest, most pathetic character in the entire franchise. Not just the worst "protagonist." Any redeeming moments in the last dozen or so episodes, or do I just have to hope in vain that he gets exploded?

iirc, he actually gets even worse in those last episodes.

Jubern

Yeah same here. I even tend to give him preferential treatment lol

But anime Shinn is an irredeemable asshole by the end unfortunately, they forego any kind of development for him past episode 30 and his end is simply pathetic on all accounts.

Fuck the writers of this show. They fucked up his character and the whole ZAFT cast in an incredible way.

He kind of realizes what a sack of fucking shit he really is in the postcredits sequence of the final episode I think. And then he supposedly goes on to be a pretty cool guy in SRW, or so I've heard. But consider that Kira never realizes how full of himself he is.

Still, that doesn't redeem his overall garbageness.

I was more enamored by the fact that they turned Athrun into a... different thing.

I watched the first one of the Zeta movie trilogy last night. Man, that is not the way you want to experience Zeta. I do wish they'd remaster all of Zeta in widescreen like they did to the old scenes in the movie. The new animation is pretty great also and makes the greatest scene ever
where Amuro and Char meet
even greater. It's a great supplemental to the show, but bad for first-timers. Felt like 80% of it was action.

He is like a mentally challenged version of Athrun Zala, along with inexplicable combat success despite rage induced incompetence. They are pretty much setting up Zaft as the bad guys again right now, although I guess mostly through ignorance and manipulation. That is why I expected him to figure it out and have a moment of redemption at some point, but this thread seems to indicate otherwise.

But honestly, I think
Lunamaria is handled the worst. She is pretty cool for most of the series and then: oh, you killed my sister? Let's fuck. What, now?
Cpt. Gladys seems pretty alright, though. And I actually think the show probably would have been more interesting if
Durandal was actually just an idealistic good guy, rather than a crazy with whatever his plan turns out to be in specific

I'm a pretty creepy guy myself but even I was creeped out by how much he listened to the phone recording of his sister.

This can't be mentioned enough. We get it already, you miss your dead sister.

Showrunners, you only have to show this scene once for maximum effect (as part of the set up to Shinn's motivations, what makes him tick). Maybe once again during a montage after he
"kills" Kira and "avenges" her death.

Continuously repeating that scene ad infinitum greatly diminishes the intended effect that the audience was supposed to have with Shinn and instead turns the character into a creep with questionable intentions towards his sister that can't move on.

So much bloody recycled footage in Destiny.

But honestly, I think
Lunamaria is handled the worst. She is pretty cool for most of the series and then: oh, you killed my sister? Let's fuck. What, now?

She wrote Meyrin off as a traitor (given her previously close ties with her sister, I guess her loyalty to ZAFT takes precedent.), felt extremely aroused after Shinn did the nasty with Athrun and her sister and so in the heat of moment, smanged him. That's the only way I could rationalize her behaviour.

Blader

He is like a mentally challenged version of Athrun Zala, along with inexplicable combat success despite rage induced incompetence. They are pretty much setting up Zaft as the bad guys again right now, although I guess mostly through ignorance and manipulation. That is why I expected him to figure it out and have a moment of redemption at some point, but this thread seems to indicate otherwise.

But honestly, I think
Cpt. Gladys seems pretty alright, though. And I actually think the show probably would have been more interesting if
Durandal was actually just an idealistic good guy, rather than a crazy with whatever his plan turns out to be in specific

Everything about the show would have been better if it had just stuck to how the characters acted at the beginning of the series. It's 50 episodes of missed opportunities.

It's pointless trying to rationalize anyone's behavior in Seed Destiny.

I timed a random episode of Seed Destiny. One that wasn't a recap episode. In total, it had only 8 minutes of new animation. Everything else was either a long flashback in the middle of a conversation (nearly every single conversation in that show had a flashback accompanying it by the way), or a recycled animation loop.

Utterly terrible.

She wrote Meyrin off as a traitor (given her previously close ties with her sister, I guess her loyalty to ZAFT takes precedent.), felt extremely aroused after Shinn did the nasty with Athrun and her sister and so in the heat of moment, smanged him. That's the only way I could rationalize her behaviour.

Spoilers for Seed Destiny and potentially Zeta.

The Zeta redux needed a Reccoa analog, obviously. Because that was so awesome the first time it happened. I guess she didn't do anything too stupid, like committing mass murder because she is a woman. Cagalli being neutered in the beginning of the series was pretty bad, too.

Honestly, I do like the series. It suffers from pretty poor writing, a ton of recycling and flashbacks, illogical decisions (not uncommon in Gundam). But overall I think there is a solid potential that has gone unfulfilled. I'm curious to check out the fillms eventually to see how they are, as some have said issues were addressed. On future watches I'll just treat Shinn as a villain with a lot of screen time and no charisma, and that will probably help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom