• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
Oh man you know who had a cool voice in the dub? Treize.

I actually prefer the dub of Wing to the original VA's. It's pretty much the only anime I've ever felt that way about (besides Sailor Moon.) I guess it could also be just growing up with both of those two and my first experience with them being dubbed, but going back and watching them with the original voice actors just sounds so strange to me.

Bombless

Thanks for the info guys.

I loved Seed and went straight into Destiny...only to find Shinn and Stella. I didn't think I could hate a character so utterly as I did those two.

Went into 00 hoping it'd raise the bar but after a promising start it fell flat. Had to struggle to see it through the end. I'm amazed they managed to up the WTF factor to 11 with the Trailblazer OVA (Gundam EX VS made me watch that one).

isny

napkin dispenser
Thanks for the info guys.

I loved Seed and went straight into Destiny...only to find Shinn and Stella. I didn't think I could hate a character so utterly as I did those two.

It gets better. Once the story switches to focus on Athran, Kira, and Lacus again it's much more enjoyable. Besides, the captain on Shinn's ship, and most of the other crew aboard it, have great personalities.

Bombless

It gets better. Once the story switches to focus on Athran, Kira, and Lacus again it's much more enjoyable. Besides, the captain on Shinn's ship, and most of the other crew aboard it, have great personalities.

Agreed. It did get better. It wasn't a pain to go through, like 00 was. It's just that I can only take so many
"Mamoru"
per minute before I lose my shit. I guess Stella's VA had enough of that word for years. I hope so at least :D Is her english VA as annoying as the Japanese one?

Anyway, I'm quite happy I get to
shoot the hell out of both during the mission that reenacts her death
in EX VS.

It's just that I can only take so many
"Mamoru"
per minute before I lose my shit.

That term/concept is so prevalent in Japanese anime these days, especially in the feel good, shounen types. Really, really abused in dialogue ad nauseam. That and "nakama". I swear if I hear another protagonist mention that word again, I'd go crazy.

I guess I need to watch more seinen types.

KiraFA37

Ahh gundam wing, the introduction to gundam for many of us (me). I love the non-gundam MS-designs in this serie. I agree the english VA are better then the Japanese.

CorvoSol

Hmm, It was still censored for TV though. The afternoon airings had Duo calling himself "The Great Destroyer" instead of the "The God of Death" etc.

And let's not forget "Burning" Gundam.

Burning Gundam is still a cool name for a Gundam, it's just that it isn't as cool as the God Gundam, and it leaves kids wondering why the show was called G Gundam when none of the Gundams names begin with G. And pitting the Burning Gundam against the Dark Gundam isn't as awesome as making the God Gundam fight the Devil Gundam.

Burning Gundam is still a cool name for a Gundam, it's just that it isn't as cool as the God Gundam, and it leaves kids wondering why the show was called G Gundam when none of the Gundams names begin with G.

It's called G Gundam because you're a total G if you like it.

tuffy

Hmm, It was still censored for TV though. The afternoon airings had Duo calling himself "The Great Destroyer" instead of the "The God of Death" etc.

And let's not forget "Burning" Gundam.
The G Gundam dub goes to great lengths to avoid characters stating outright that someone has died, even when it's obvious onscreen. They're described as being "gone" or some other euphemism - like they're off on vacation or something. Whatever it took to get the shows on afternoon TV, I suppose.

Andrew J.

Burning Gundam is still a cool name for a Gundam, it's just that it isn't as cool as the God Gundam, and it leaves kids wondering why the show was called G Gundam when none of the Gundams names begin with G. And pitting the Burning Gundam against the Dark Gundam isn't as awesome as making the God Gundam fight the Devil Gundam.

It always bugged me that the God Gundam was the odd-man out of the Japanese mobile fighter naming scheme. Burning Gundam/Finger at least fits the pattern established with Shining Gundam/Finger and Rising Gundam/Arrow.

Droog

Looks like they added Space Battles today to Mobile Suit Gundam Online. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

They started last week to coincide with Golden Week. It was only 6 vs 6 then, not sure if they've been added to the regular 50 vs 50 battles yet.

I won myself a Zaku F2 in the EX Gashapon collections during the Golden Week celebrations I'm happy to say! Not much chance to pilot it this week yet.

Always wondered, WTF was the reason for Une shooting him after throwing him out of the plane?
tumblr_m7jh9ftELf1rql8omo1_500.gif

Just want to leave this song from Gundam Victory here.

Iwasaki Motoyashi - Ikutsumono ai wo kasanete

It really hits you after all the horrific events that happened in the series.

For a really depressing and horrifying series, Victory has some of the most deceptively cheery and upbeat OPs ever. "Stand up to the Victory" in particular, had me almost convinced that the show was gonna be in the tone of the 1st half of ZZ Gundam, until I started watching the show itself.

Such a mismatch of decent OP songs to the overall tone of the series.

MSG (Tobe! Gundam) got it right, so did Z (Toki wo Koete was rather sombre) and ZZ (Anime Ja Nai was perfect for the lighthearted 1st half of the series, and the more serious second half was matched to Silent Voice.)

I think people overblow how dark Victory is. Yeah, the death count is high, but tone wise its very dreamlike. There is a ton of ZZ-esque slapstick in it

I think people overblow how dark Victory is. Yeah, the death count is high, but tone wise its very dreamlike. There is a ton of ZZ-esque slapstick in it

Yeah and it's entirely out of place in Victory

Brief instances of this silliness don't change the actual tone of the show.

J2Hjr.jpg

which is

PdVWt.jpg

Beth Cyra

It always bugged me that the God Gundam was the odd-man out of the Japanese mobile fighter naming scheme. Burning Gundam/Finger at least fits the pattern established with Shining Gundam/Finger and Rising Gundam/Arrow.

Wait, God Gundam does God Finger does it not? How is out of place compared to Shinning or Rising?

In fact the only that is out of place is Master Gundam and his Darkness Finger which is in both JPN and English. Honestly though, Darkness Finger fit the look of the move and really well with how Master Asia had fallen, so to let him have it be called Master Finger or something would have been terrible.

MSG (Tobe! Gundam) got it right, so did Z (Toki wo Koete was rather sombre) and ZZ (Anime Ja Nai was perfect for the lighthearted 1st half of the series, and the more serious second half was matched to Silent Voice.)
I still think the most brilliant thing Bandai did for Zeta was changing the opening music to that thundering orchestral piece in the dub. Simply superb for how epic the series was (I am a notorious hater of '80s Jpop, despite how much I enjoy late '90s or '00s Jpop).

Yep, Eternal Wind is great too. i love the scene it plays in F91 when Cecily's grandfather enters the colony for the first time. One of the best directed scenes in the franchise IMHO

Yep. i would have loved at the very least a trilogy of F91 movies. There was still more story to tell there. It's a shame the rest of the conflict with the Cosmos Babylonia conflict was handwaved in Crossbones.

Beth Cyra

I like F91 a LOT even though it's fundamentally *broken* as a movie. Seabook and Cecily own bones.

I like the idea of F91, can't say I like the final product though. However that doesn't change the fact that Seabook is awesome and the second best UC Lead outside of Judau.

Beth Cyra

I find myself feeling odd when it comes to Gundam OP's, so often I see people throwing love at X, but honestly I found them horrible and not the least enjoyable to listen to.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just fucking love that 90s jpop style tho. Fills me with so much nostalgia.

Stuff like the Gundam X OPs, Saber Marionette J, etc...

F91 would have benefited greatly if it was an OVA or a TV series like it was originally planned. I felt there were too many characters and not enough screen time for a lot of them.

Annamarie Bourget intrigued me as a character. All I can recall is that she defected from the Crossbone Vanguard but got shot down on her first mission. Don't remember if her reasons for defecting were ever explained.

I thought the reason Bandai never included the original Zeta OPs was due to licensing.

Yep. They got most of the others in, except for Zeta.

I have to agree with the opinion that the dubbed OP which features the orchestral instrumentation for Zeta is better than the original version, at least for the 1st OP. The song matches the OP really, really well.

I have both the dubbed version and the super expensive Japanese only blurays (mah god is the picture quality uber alles in this one), and I sometimes watch the dubbed OP for the heck of it.

God tier for sure

Gundam X OPs are also amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ2qD4t620

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52QQiBGNUI

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Without a doubt. DREAMS and RESOLUTION by ROMANTIC MODE are amongst the top tier OPs for the Gundam franchise imo. Too bad they got coupled with an ultimately mediocre series like X.

Beth Cyra

I just fucking love that 90s jpop style tho. Fills me with so much nostalgia.

Stuff like the Gundam X OPs, Saber Marionette J, etc...

Your certianly not alone, I see X get love for it's OP's all the time. I don't know, I just really dislike them for some reason.

Never watched X or G but I enjoy the OP music from both. Love the tunes and "Trust You Forever" is a favorite of mine. It feels uplifting.

The first time I heard the original MSG OP, I actually cringed. Not because it was bad but I suppose it's nothing like the OPs from the newer series. It's like from a totally different era.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol

This made me also go back and listen to the Gundam Wing OPs

So much nostalgia. I can't take it ;_;

F91 would have benefited greatly if it was an OVA or a TV series like it was originally planned. I felt there were too many characters and not enough screen time for a lot of them.

Annamarie Bourget intrigued me as a character. All I can recall is that she defected from the Crossbone Vanguard but got shot down on her first mission. Don't remember if her reasons for defecting were ever explained.

If I recall, she didn't like all the special treatment Cecily was getting.

The first time I heard the original MSG OP, I actually cringed. Not because it was bad but I suppose it's nothing like the OPs from the newer series. It's like from a totally different era.

But...

I like pretty much every Gundam OP from the beginning up until Turn A. I passionately hate Seed's OPs. 00's are better, but not my cup of tea ultimately. I AM rather fond of Age's first three OPs. The show is poorly constructed, but it had some good theme music. Especially the third one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom