• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Spoilers for Seed Destiny and potentially Zeta.

The Zeta redux needed a Reccoa analog, obviously. Because that was so awesome the first time it happened. I guess she didn't do anything too stupid, like committing mass murder because she is a woman. Cagalli being neutered in the beginning of the series was pretty bad, too.

Honestly, I do like the series. It suffers from pretty poor writing, a ton of recycling and flashbacks, illogical decisions (not uncommon in Gundam). But overall I think there is a solid potential that has gone unfulfilled. I'm curious to check out the fillms eventually to see how they are, as some have said issues were addressed. On future watches I'll just treat Shinn as a villain with a lot of screen time and no charisma, and that will probably help.

They don't really fix anything iirc. The compilations kind of edit things to make Athrun the central character, which makes the shift from Shinn to Kira not as jarring. It's definitely the superior version, but in the way that a D- is superior to an F.

They don't really fix anything iirc. The compilations kind of edit things to make Athrun the central character, which makes the shift from Shinn to Kira not as jarring. It's definitely the superior version, but in the way that a D- is superior to an F.

Well for me that might take it from a C- to a C+!

3 and 4 are stupidly expensive, so I'll just have to keep my eyes open or find them through other avenues.

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 36 (bd)
tumblr_mlxloh5LTS1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Good action scenes even if the music introduced this half was awkward and feeling out of place...Poor Dearka, thought I dont know where he goes now, I hope somehow he joins Archangle folks as that would be a good and interesting change, as he could really lend a hand and be a great ally and asset. I love the new developments at the end, plot is definitely going how I would like it
Assuming Kira and Athrun finally join forces for the rest of this anime and bringing about peace on earth and space.

Minor thing.
I didnt know there was romance in Gundams, the two kissing scenes with Mu La Flaga and Murrue Ramius, was a bit shocking and odd to see. The other gundam's I saw never did that.

Minor thing.
I didnt know there was romance in Gundams, the two kissing scenes with Mu La Flaga and Murrue Ramius, was a bit shocking and odd to see. The other gundam's I saw never did that.

Watchu talkin' bout, Willis?

Romance is a big, big part of the Gundam franchise. The only difference is in how explicitly it is protrayed on screen.

UC Series

Gundam 0083
had a kissing scene with Kou and Nina

08th MS Team
had a hot springs scene plus a a kissing scene with Shiro and Aina. It's even shown that Aina got knocked up by the end of the show

1st Gundam
was very, very subtle, but you could gather that Bright and Mirai had that incredibly mature and understated working relationship which they nurtured very well into something deeper by the end of the series. Marriage and all by Zeta.

Zeta
I don't know whether Kamille and Murasame Four counts. I think it does. Or perhaps it falls more into the Newtype bond affinity thingy.

Double Zeta
Where do I start with this show? Judau was a chick magnet in the truest sense of the word lol.

Victory
I think one of the 4 female MS pilots (forgot her name) had a romance with one of the male aces. Even got her knocked up by the end. Forgot their names, it's been a while

CCA
Amuro had a very obvious thing going on with Chen Agi, they smooched on screen as well. Nanai had an unrequited affair with Char at the time too.

Non UC

SEED
had that infamous scene which pissed off the censors and the Japanese conservative folk at the time of broadcast. More kissing scenes between the lead protagonist pairings.

G Gundam
What the hell dude, the whole series is predicated on a romance and bromances

As you can see, the concept of romance is pretty ingrained in the Gundam series. Usually executed badly though, or with terrible consequences for either one of both of the parties.

Holy shit, you guys were not kidding.

Seed Destiny spoilers

Yeah, the battle is lost, I am wrong, Durandal is fucking crazy, but I will still fucking shoot a laser through my girlfriend to kill you because I am the biggest piece of shit to ever be created. At least she is the supportive type. Try to kill my sister, no biggie, try to kill me, no problem, call out another woman's name in your sleep, a-okay. Lol

I do want to say, I really appreciated the gundam kick maneuver and I feel it was well employed throughout Seed. It is even better if you read the novel and the description of Char's Rage and embarrassment when he concludes that he is the first person to ever be kicked by an MS.

Yeah, every Gundam has had romance as a subplot

For the series not listed

Wing: Every wing boy with a girl they meet. All of them are handled pretty poorly

X: Garrod and Tiffa,

Turn A: Harry and Kihel, Loran and Sochie, Dianna and Will Game

0080: Bernie and Chris(?)

Yeah, every Gundam has had romance as a subplot

For the series not listed

Wing: Every wing boy with a girl they meet. All of them are handled pretty poorly

X: Garrod and Tiffa,

Turn A: Harry and Kihel, Loran and Sochie, Dianna and Will Game

0080: Bernie and Chris(?)

The last is more like an unfulfilled potential, but yes.

And I think you are wrong on Wing. I don't remember
Quatre having a love interest, to go along with his Lawrence of Arabia character they made him pretty much asexual. And didn't Trowa only have his sister? Pretty sure Wufei had more important things on his mind, too. So pretty much just Duo and Heero. Although Trowa's thing with his sister was a little weird, kind of like Shinn and Judau. It's a Gundam thing.

Also with Wing, I think Zechs + Noin is pretty well done. They don't ever make it a big thing, but it is pretty obvious from their initial saber rattling moments what is up with that.

Trowa had the circus girl. That wasn't his sister.

She totally is, but apparently it is only implied in the show and confirmed in the novelization and I guess post series manga and such. I guess I only know because I read it on the wiki, not from the actual show. Not sure how it is portrayed in the show, but I think it is reasonably platonic. So I guess you could say they might have retconned that. Don't recall the show well enough to render my own opinion, though.

I just did a bit of googling, and jogged my mind that she became his "sister" after he lost his memories. So definitely platonic in my opinion, although the actual blood relation isn't there in the actual show.

The key thing to remember is that at least part of the target audience of Gundam Wing were girls and women. There were plenty of vague and melodramatic relationships going on in it, oh and pretty boys and girls being fabulous.

Andrew J.

The last is more like an unfulfilled potential, but yes.

And I think you are wrong on Wing. I don't remember
Quatre having a love interest, to go along with his Lawrence of Arabia character they made him pretty much asexual.

Dorothy had a bit of a hatelust thing for him near the end.

Stargazer was pretty good, if not exactly essential material.

Also finished the original novel trilogy this weekend. It was an interesting, more mature take on the series. I didn't love the writing, but I'm not sure if that is Tomino or the necessary consequence of translation. One of my favorite parts was when Amuro was talking about the newtype phenomenon and how he was disappointed that it wasn't making him into a better person like he thought it would. And the aformentioned Gundam kick.

Tomino is known for his weird writing style in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if the translation was a bit off either, to be honest. I mean, it was translated in the 90s

B.K.

I just finished episode 38 of Zeta. Unless something AMAZING happens in the next 12 episodes, I don't really see why everyone says Zeta is the best Gundam series.

Jubern

Holy shit, you guys were not kidding.

Seed Destiny spoilers

Yeah, the battle is lost, I am wrong, Durandal is fucking crazy, but I will still fucking shoot a laser through my girlfriend to kill you because I am the biggest piece of shit to ever be created. At least she is the supportive type. Try to kill my sister, no biggie, try to kill me, no problem, call out another woman's name in your sleep, a-okay. Lol

Yeeeessss.

I kind of want to see it again. I'm watching Destiny HD right now but it's obviously going to take time until I get to the end since it's being broadcasted weekly.
On the other hand, something must be terribly wrong with me, for accepting to live through the weekly horror once again lol

Finally finished watching AGE.

PicardWTFISTHISSHIT.gif

That is all.

They had such a "good" thing going, and then they just had to have that asspull. They didn't have the balls to bring it all the way. They couldn't even finish what they started. It could've been so much better!

Blader

I just finished episode 38 of Zeta. Unless something AMAZING happens in the next 12 episodes, I don't really see why everyone says Zeta is the best Gundam series.

It does end pretty strongly (the first half of that last dozen is the worst arc in the show, I think, but the last half dozen is pretty great). But it's not the best Gundam at all.

If I have to be fair with the series though (AGE), and was ever asked to choose an arc that I'd (God forbid) watch again, I guess I could tolerate Asemu's arc. I found him to be least offensive of the three main Gundam pilots, that and he didn't have an X-Rounder crutch he could rely on and did just fine in the end with his own abilities. It also kinda helps that he starts off in senior high for his arc, I have no idea why they had to revert the protagonist of the next arc to a Kid yet again. Watching Flit muddle his way through as kid once was bad enough.

Beth Cyra

If I have to be fair with the series though (AGE), and was ever asked to choose an arc that I'd (God forbid) watch again, I guess I could tolerate Asemu's arc. I found him to be least offensive of the three main Gundam pilots, that and he didn't have an X-Rounder crutch he could rely on and did just fine in the end with his own abilities. It also kinda helps that he starts off in senior high for his arc, I have no idea why they had to revert the protagonist of the next arc to a Kid yet again. Watching Flit muddle his way through as kid once was bad enough.

I would agree with this arc.

However it would be because I think Asemu and Zeheart have the only decent relationship in the whole series, and it could have been alot better had they not rushed through Arc 2 so fast and then flushed Zeheart's character development down the drain in Arc 3.

It seems you either have a taste for Zeta or you don't. Just most people seem to.

I'm weird in that I find ZZ to be far better, and actually that aside from Igloo and Stardust Memory to be the weakest of the UC series.

I would agree with this arc.

However it would be because I think Asemu and Zeheart have the only decent relationship in the whole series, and it could have been alot better had they not rushed through Arc 2 so fast and then flushed Zeheart's character development down the drain in Arc 3.

Yeah, what the hell was up with that. Asemu only had like 12-13 eps to his name compared to his father (15 eps) and his son (20 eps).

Asemu's arc also had Wuulf, the best character in the whole show.

Yep, without a doubt, he
went out like a bawse too.

The character and his mecha was clearly inspired after Amuro's hidden callsign the 'White Unicorn' and his white modified Zeta Gundam. (when he was secretly performing missions for the Earth Federation in the period of ZZ, if I remember correctly in a MSZ-006-3A Zeta Gundam 3A Type from Gundam evolve and the Gundam wikia).

Beth Cyra

Asemu's arc also had Wuulf, the best character in the whole show.

This is true.

I'm still pissed that Woolf was used on AGE when he could have actually been a fucking awesome lead in a decent Gundam show. Then again Hino's interview from a while back actually made me glad about what happened with that, because he really seemed like he turned out awesome by Accident, and not how Hino meant him to be.

Yeah, what the hell was up with that. Asemu only had like 12-13 eps to his name compared to his father (15 eps) and his son (20 eps).

The reason is obvious.

Asemu always was meant to be the middle both in how the story progressed and the postion between Flit and Kio. He was never meant to be the important one, how he was treated as well as everything surronding him (No relationship with Flit or Kio, and his only real relationship with Zeheart getting almost no pay off.) It was just a funny fluke that Asemu and Zeheart ended up being the thing that resonated with people the most.

It's clear that Hino expected it to be either Flit or the suddenly overpowered Kio/ Age FX.

Also, to help purge my mind of the show, what the hell was up with (AGE 3rd arc spoiler)
that Vegan superweapon that destroyed the Big Ring in one blast? How the hell did they not use that earlier on the series? Could've saved a lot of time and trouble.

PhiLonius

Also, to help purge my mind of the show, what the hell was up with (AGE 3rd arc spoiler)
that Vegan superweapon that destroyed the Big Ring in one blast? How the hell did they not use that earlier on the series? Could've saved a lot of time and trouble.

The show makes no sense by the end of it. There are so many similar questions you could ask it's crazy. Just bad writing most of the way through.

This is true.

I'm still pissed that Woolf was used on AGE when he could have actually been a fucking awesome lead in a decent Gundam show. Then again Hino's interview from a while back actually made me glad about what happened with that, because he really seemed like he turned out awesome by Accident, and not how Hino meant him to be.

The reason is obvious.

Asemu always was meant to be the middle both in how the story progressed and the postion between Flit and Kio. He was never meant to be the important one, how he was treated as well as everything surronding him (No relationship with Flit or Kio, and his only real relationship with Zeheart getting almost no pay off.) It was just a funny fluke that Asemu and Zeheart ended up being the thing that resonated with people the most.

It's clear that Hino expected it to be either Flit or the suddenly overpowered Kio/ Age FX.

The new Asemu/Zeahart OVA shows that they finally figured it out.

Jubern

I'm actually really interested by that thing, because like a lot of other people, Asemu's arc is my favourite's in AGE. And just good by itself. Not outstanding, but good enough.

SUPER PAIROTTO

AGE 2 Double Bullet for EXVS when.

Beth Cyra

I will watch the OVA, but honestly I'm not exitcted. I'm actually kinda afraid, as it is Hino showed he had no clue why Woolf was so good, and apart of me would much rather they leave Arc 2 alone if more of what we are going to get is character "growth" along the lines of Zeheart Gen 3.

Deadly

Man why the hell did they decide to ditch River for the Gundam Seed Remaster? It was easily THE best thing to come out of the show. It's also not so bad to watch since the last time I watched it was maybe 8 years ago. The animation isn't so redundant....yet.

How odd for the romances thing, that the ones with them were basically all the ones Ive not seen. Never thought about it that way about Wing I guess, was too concerned on the interactions among the four leads.

That was the best arc, I do wish we got more times of them in school and such.

Watchu talkin' bout, Willis?

Romance is a big, big part of the Gundam franchise. The only difference is in how explicitly it is protrayed on screen.

UC Series

Victory
I think one of the 4 female MS pilots (forgot her name) had a romance with one of the male aces. Even got her knocked up by the end. Forgot their names, it's been a while

I can answer the Victory one:
Oliver ends up marrying Marbet roughly halfway through. By the end we find out that she's pregnant. Also you have Uso and Shakti's relationship plus Katejina and both Uso and Chronicle. There's a few others but those are the main ones.

I can answer the Victory one:
Oliver ends up marrying Marbet roughly halfway through. By the end we find out that she's pregnant. Also you have Uso and Shakti's relationship plus Katejina and both Uso and Chronicle. There's a few others but those are the main ones.

Thanks for jogging that memory.
Could Uso and Shakti's relationship be called a romance though? They were both a bit young at the time (Uso was what, 10-11 years old? The youngest Gundam pilot in a UC series at the time). Good/Best friends? Definitely.

I considered Uso and Katejina's relationship to be that of a long distance penpal and confidant. I found it rather strange that the showrunners decided to make her hate Uso later on with an obsessiveness I've rarely seen in a Gundam series. It was so out of character for her as compared to the beginning. He was just a kid trying to survive, day by day.

One day they were on good terms, the next she fell for Asher, after that she started to despise the poor kid, even learning how to pilot MS to give him a trashing. It was quite an abrupt and drastic change of personality for her character.

I forgot about this small detail, but did Katejina and Uso ever meet face to face before she started to hate his guts?

Could Uso and Shakti's relationship be called a romance though? They were both a bit young at the time (Uso was what, 10-11 years old? The youngest Gundam pilot in a UC series at the time). Good/Best friends? Definitely.

I considered Uso and Katejina's relationship to be that of a long distance penpal and confidant. I found it rather strange that the showrunners decided to make her hate Uso later on with an obsessiveness I've rarely seen in a Gundam series. It was so out of character for her as compared to the beginning. He was just a kid trying to survive, day by day.

I forgot about this small detail, but did Katejina and Uso ever meet face to face before she started to hate his guts?

More Victory Spoilers:

Uso is 13 years old and yes he was the youngest Gundam pilot at the time. He can still have relationships with people and he was even asked for relationship advice due to how most of the female pilots like him so much. Katejina and Uso did infact meet up before she hated his guts. She was part of the League Millitaire for a bit until Chronicle abducted her. She even sent a letter to Uso saying that she would be a spy, although that was forgotten quickly.

One day they were on good terms, the next she fell for Asher, after that she started to despise the poor kid, even learning how to pilot MS to give him a trashing. It was quite an abrupt and drastic change of personality for her character.

Katejina's transformation is very gradual. She starts off as a very good friend of Uso's and a supporter of the League Militaire. However, she began to distrust the LM after she started believing they were using a kid (Uso) to do their dirty work. Eventually, as others said, she was captured by Chronicle who treated her with respect since he's a gentleman. Initially Katejina intended to be a spy but she developed some sort of Stockholm syndrome. Couple that with the fact that she was seeing constantly on a first hand from the other side what Uso could do in a mobile suit, and she started becoming afraid of him, which in turn eventually led her to believe he was a sort of monster.

She wasn't always a super bitch. For most of the series she's actually fairly nice. It's actually kind of tragic what happens to her IMHO.

CorvoSol

Did Ambient finally finish watching Gundam AGE?

Such an awful, awful show. I'll never get over how wrong it was of them to take Ezelcant, who they'd just spent 3 long episodes humanizing and
making him the most cardboard villain ever for the sake of keeping Flit from looking like a villain. At which they failed.

So many spoilers in which I can't participate. I've already wiki spoilered so much accidentally, or recklessly highlighted in here, but I have to save what I have left as I think there is now less Gundam that I haven't seen than I have. Unless you count compilation movies.

Ordered UC 5, will wait for my next card statement to order 6 and probably watch those mid to late May. Not sure about what to watch next. Maybe Turn A. Or Age. Sounds like it will make Destiny better by comparison.

She wasn't always a super bitch. For most of the series she's actually fairly nice. It's actually kind of tragic what happens to her IMHO.

Endgame Victory Spoilers
That I can agree with. They gave her a punishment worse than death at the very end; I found it rather telling that Tomino actually did not grant her the finality of death which he often did on his other created antagonists/baddies.

I actually felt really, really sorry for her even after the many horrible things she tried to do and did to Uso and Shakti. The part that hit me the most was when she met up with the kids again after it was all over, and they could not even recognise the shell of the woman that stood before them, blinded and unable to remember her own identity.

Did Ambient finally finish watching Gundam AGE?

Such an awful, awful show. I'll never get over how wrong it was of them to take Ezelcant, who they'd just spent 3 long episodes humanizing and
making him the most cardboard villain ever for the sake of keeping Flit from looking like a villain. At which they failed.

I sure did. A part of me kinda hates you for indirectly convincing me to finish it lol. My fault for being sucked into the "hype" of its badness lol.

Bombless

So, after getting Gundam Extreme VS I kind of want to see other Gundam series so I get a bit more connected with their machines. I've only seen Seed/Seed D and 00.

I know quite a few of them are in their own universe so view order doesn't matter but are there any series that stand out?

So Ive been on a bit of a 90s anime nostalgia kick and have been watching some Gundam Wing. That was first Gundam show I ever saw when I was a kid and I am enjoying walking through memory lane again, but Im wondering how it compares to other Gundam shows?

Im no expert, the only other ones Ive seen are G Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny. I thought Destiny was pretty awful but I liked the other two.

So, after getting Gundam Extreme VS I kind of want to see other Gundam series so I get a bit more connected with their machines. I've only seen Seed/Seed D and 00.

I know quite a few of them are in their own universe so view order doesn't matter but are there any series that stand out?

They're mainly divided into two categories, the UC series and the non UC series with their own continuity.

The UC series (started in the 1979, and ran through the 80s, 90s and recently revived with Gundam Unicorn) belong in the same continuity as one another; events that occured in the past series are referenced to or even related to later series. Viewing order is a bit more important here.

For your convinience (and partly because I'm lazy) I'll just link to a post I made not too long ago on Gundam GAF that gave a shortlist of UC series to consider for your viewing pleasure:-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53816790&postcount=6889

The Non UC series(mostly made recently) is one that you referred to in your post. Viewing order doesn't matter at all.

Series that stand out (which you haven't listed) include G Gundam (1994), Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz (1995-1997) and Turn A Gundam (1999). Avoid Gundam AGE at all costs.

So Ive been on a bit of a 90s anime nostalgia kick and have been watching some Gundam Wing. That was first Gundam show I ever saw when I was a kid and I am enjoying walking through memory lane again, but Im wondering how it compares to other Gundam shows?

Im no expert, the only other ones Ive seen are G Gundam, Seed and Seed Destiny. I thought Destiny was pretty awful but I liked the other two.

I'm biased towards the UC timeline of Gundam shows myself, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but Gundam Wing is just okay. Just okay.

Lots of nice Gundam porn, and obviously Wing Gundam to enjoy, but I found the main protagonists to be pretty damn mediocre, with the exception of Quatre. At least he HAD a personality. The rest were just eye candy who didn't know how to emote properly.

They were really aiming for the female demographic with this show imo, they went all out with the pretty boy aesthetic. Plot didn't make a lick of sense either.

Beth Cyra

Wing has elements from 0079, Zeta, and G. However it really has it own feel because of how unique Heero is compared to other Gundam leads.

I honestly really like Wing for the designs and Treize is my favorite character in any Gundam, but you will find the reaction to Wing to be very mixed anymore. As always, everyone should look into 0079 and Zeta, just so you can watch the amazingness that is Unicorn.

I've always been a fan of Production Order over Chronological Order, but I can't really find fault people preferring to watch it that way. One thing is for sure, if you are going to watch UC, you NEED to start with First Gundam. A) Because its an amazing series and an anime classic, and B) So much of the UC mythology relies on knowledge of the events of the OYW

As for Wing. It's alright. I'm not a fan of the main Gundams because I like my designs a bit more dialed back. The characters are mostly flat and boring, with the exception of a few like Treize and Noin. Your mileage may very on how much you like the main Gundam pilots. The politics of the plot are decent enough and fast moving, but ultimately fall apart.
Treize's and Sech's plan was stupid. They wanted to create a war so horrible that humanity would be afraid of having a conflict again? Yet only 100k people died in the conflict? There have been real wars with far worse causalities and yet people are still willing to jump into the next conflict with open arms. UC's take on War, that people could live to witness a war that claimed the lives of billions of people and yet still be willing to fight less than a decade later is far more realistic
Art-wise, the show isn't bad. Most of the character designs are pretty good, though there are some stinkers. The environments are pretty great though. There is some recycled animation but it isn't as bad as Seed/Seed Destiny in that regard. Battles are somewhat unfulfilling to me though. Most of the time, you'll see a Gundam fly off into the distance and see a wave of explosions. I've never thought that sort of thing to be impressive. I prefer my Gundam shows where each kill was shown. To me, Amuro's destruction of a handful of Doms in a few minutes will always be more impressive than a wall of explosions ever will be.

Beware episodes 30-40. Once they start mentioning Relena's kingdom in detail, you're in for one of the most boring run of episodes in the franchise.

CorvoSol

Endgame Victory Spoilers
That I can agree with. They gave her a punishment worse than death at the very end; I found it rather telling that Tomino actually did not grant her the finality of death which he often did on his other created antagonists/baddies.

I actually felt really, really sorry for her even after the many horrible things she tried to do and did to Uso and Shakti. The part that hit me the most was when she met up with the kids again after it was all over, and they could not even recognise the shell of the woman that stood before them, blinded and unable to remember her own identity.

I sure did. A part of me kinda hates you for indirectly convincing me to finish it lol. My fault for being sucked into the "hype" of its badness lol.

Let the hatred flow through you. Watch 00 and 0083 and your training will be complete. You've actually probably seen 0083, but watch it again so you can hate it more!

Wing is okay once you get past the fact that Zechs, Treize, Noin and maaaaaybe Lady Une are the only actual characters. G is the best Gundam ever made. SEED is good, and though I've a soft spot for Destiny, it's just a really bad show. 00 is the worst thing ever, and AGE is almost as truly awful. MSG is good, and Zeta is great, but both are SLOW. 8th MS Team is great until beam saber hotspring when the show jumps the shark and becomes about stupid Mobile Armors and Romeo and Juliets. 0083 is also really dumb. That's all the shows in the series I've watched.

Personally I didn't care for Zechs. I thought he was a poor man's Char Aznable. All the plot points of the character without any of the charisma

CorvoSol

Personally I didn't care for Zechs. I thought he was a poor man's Char Aznable. All the plot points of the character without any of the charisma

Zechs' English VA had all the charisma I will ever need. Besides, he's supposed to be like Char. And he's a hell of a lot better of a Char Clone than some.

squall23

Endgame Victory Spoilers

She's one of the top in my list of best anime villains. The more you hate a villain, the more effective they actually are as a villain.

Hence why her punishment of becoming blind and ending up with pretty much nothing was such a satisfying end for her and the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom